Los Angeles Lakers: A Dynasty Once Again

JamJam

It's goin' down forreal!
The Los Angeles Lakers and the Orlando Magic just made the biggest trade of the season. February 5, 2012, the Orlando Magic have agreed to part ways with 'Superman' Dwight Howard and Von Wafer in exchange for Andrew Bynum, Steve Blake, and cash considerations. The two teams were reported to be in talks regarding this trade for a while now before finally pulling through with it. Both teams have said that this trade was for the better and that they can now move on and play some basketball.

The Lakers were a busy team tonight. Not only did they acquire the best center in the NBA but they seemed to have found their future point guard as they exchanged Darius Morris, Josh McRoberts, Luke Walton, and a 2012 1st Round Draft Pick in exchange for D.J. Augustin and Tyrus Thomas. The Lakers get the point guard they needed as well as some athleticism from Thomas while the Bobcats look to rebuild and got rid of Thomas' big contract.

In other news, Garrett Temple was added by the Lakers after he was signed to the minimum for a year.

'Twas the day after Valentines Day that the Lakers just turned themselves into the top contenders for many years to come. Not only did the Lakers welcome Superman, but they added the point guard of the future. The deal was said to be discussed for about a week until finally, on February 15, 2012, the two deals that could be the biggest deals in Lakers history occured. The Lakers are now feared once more and with Mike Brown leading them into the future who knows how many championships this Lakers team can get. Take that Lebron, that's how you make a DECISION.

Lakers UPDATE: The Lakers are expected to have all their traded players by the time they challenge the Phoenix Suns on February 17, 2012. Also, when the trade went down, it was said that the two centers, Howard and Bynum would exchanged conferences as Howard starts for the West and Bynum starts for the East.

r10th2.png
Los Angeles Lakers Roster

10 D.J. Augustin PG
9 Matt Barnes SF
24 Kobe Bryant SG
3 Devin Ebanks SF
2 Derek Fisher PG
16 Pau Gasol PF
0 Andrew Goudelock PG-SG
12 Dwight Howard C
28 Jason Kapono SF
14 Troy Murphy PF
17 Garrett Temple SG
11 Tyrus Thomas PF
1 Von Wafer SG
37 Metta World Peace SF​

Yes! This is going to be very interesting read. I love that you got us to aquire a good point guard as well (nothing on Stevey Blake and the Fishman but we need someone with speed so they can create). Tyrus Thomas instead of Josh McRoberts is perfect as we also need the athleticism. Can't wait for the next one.

I look forward to this. I'm not a fan of the Lakers, but sports fantasy things like this usually entertain me. My best buddy and I use to run one on a different forum with the KC Chiefs and how we were trying to bring them back up. I handled most of the writing whereas he did some of the playing. Though I remember bringing us back from a 21 point deficit to gain the division lead. Anywho, back to the topic at hand...

I'll definitely follow this and occasionally chime in. One thing I don't like is that trade doesn't seem quite balanced for Dwight Howard. There is no right way in hell that the Magic would ship off Dwight for Andrew Bynum, Steve Blake, and cash. Definitely need to throw a first (or two) in there and maybe even a player like Artist. Also the other trade seems off as well. Tyrus Thomas I see as a guy the Cats would trade as he hasn't lived up to his mass potential, but Augustin is quietly becoming one of the better PG in the business and I don't think they'd give up two promising players for scrubs like McRoberts and Walton. Like I said one of them probably could have been had for that, most likely Thomas. Trades in my eyes are unrealistic, but I'll still follow to see if you can bring back the glory to the Lake Show.

I look forward to this. I'm not a fan of the Lakers, but sports fantasy things like this usually entertain me. My best buddy and I use to run one on a different forum with the KC Chiefs and how we were trying to bring them back up. I handled most of the writing whereas he did some of the playing. Though I remember bringing us back from a 21 point deficit to gain the division lead. Anywho, back to the topic at hand...

I'll definitely follow this and occasionally chime in. One thing I don't like is that trade doesn't seem quite balanced for Dwight Howard. There is no right way in hell that the Magic would ship off Dwight for Andrew Bynum, Steve Blake, and cash. Definitely need to throw a first (or two) in there and maybe even a player like Artist. Also the other trade seems off as well. Tyrus Thomas I see as a guy the Cats would trade as he hasn't lived up to his mass potential, but Augustin is quietly becoming one of the better PG in the business and I don't think they'd give up two promising players for scrubs like McRoberts and Walton. Like I said one of them probably could have been had for that, most likely Thomas. Trades in my eyes are unrealistic, but I'll still follow to see if you can bring back the glory to the Lake Show.

Both trades aren't unlikely. Bynum is a top two center in the league. Averaging a double double and is a defensive montser with a lot of offensive potential, also steve blake is a good player and is definately an upgrade from Jameer Nelson. Dwight has only requested to be traded to certain teams and they are Lakers/Nets/Mavs/Clippers. The Clippers couldn't give up anyone for Howard without ruining their team completely. They would have to give up someone like DeAndre, Mo Williams and someone like Gomes maybe? But then they would have no depth. Nets could only trade Lopez who is injured (and Bynum is way better than Lopez anyway) and would the Mavs really 'restore' their roster again after a lot of off season moves and probably couldn't give a player that is as good as Bynum anyway. The thing the knicks did wrong last year was give away too many players for Melo. Clearly Melo was going to Knicks so they could of given basically anyone to get him. It is also obvious that Dwight will leave at the end of the season if he isn't traded or they don't get Dwill.

As for Bobcats. While I agree about the Auginstin thing, it could also be debated. Kemba looks the be a franchise face that you could build around Augs has never been consistent. They get another good young player in Morris, as well as a Shane Battier type player in Mcroberts (not definsively but does all the little things that no one sees) as well as Luke Walton who is extremely underrated as he can defend and shoot but is a role player not a starter. The trade could of had a bit more like throw in Kapono but apart from that seems about right.

Dwight Howard, D.J. Augustin, Von Wafer, Tyrus Thomas, and Garrett Temple have all finished their first practice as a member of the Los Angeles Lakers. The Lakers practice facility was swarming with media as they looked to get word from the new players especially from Dwight Howard.

Howard had this to say when asked how he felt about being traded to one of the most storied franchises in the NBA, "It's great, you know. I'm ready to win a championship this season. Hopefully there will be no more distractions, but I can't really expect that since we're in LA."

ESPN reporters also caught up with former Bobcats starting point guard, D.J. Augustin. Augustin was asked about how he feels playing on the same team as Kobe Bryant. He had this to say, "I'm sure glad that I'm not playing against him. Kobe is one tough player and even in practice, he plays hard and it seems like he isn't just a player but a coach at the same time. He's given me some tips and has done a great job in welcoming all the new guys to the squad."

Kobe didn't escape the media that day as well and was asked how he felt about Andrew Bynum being traded away and if he thinks that the new additions to the team can propel them to a championship this season. "Seeing 'Drew leave was definitely a heart-breaker and I wish the kid all the best in his career. He'll definitely flourish in Orlando and it'll be interesting to face him and his new team. As for the new guys, I think we've improved our team drastically. We needed to get more athletic and we did that by getting guys like Thomas and Wafer. So kudos to the front office for improving the team."

---ESPN.com

168ivm9.png
Lakers vs. Suns
Lakers Starting 5: Derek Fisher, Kobe Bryant, Metta World Peace, Pau Gasol, Dwight Howard.​
Suns Starting 5: Steve Nash, Jared Dudley, Grant Hill, Channing Frye, Marcin Gortat.​

First Half: A lot of anticipation came upon the Laker's game vs. the Phoenix Suns as it marked Dwight Howard's debut game as part of the Lakers franchise. The game started out with a nice high-low play with Gasol and Howard. The Lakers looking comfortable early on with some nice lob passes to Dwight Howard who had his way in the paint against the likes of Gortat and Frye. When Howard wasn't open he dished the ball out to Kobe and Fisher. Fisher benefited the most from this as 'Fish was the leading scorer for the Lakers heading into the half with twelve points. The second unit of the Lakers never looked as strong as it did today as D.J. Augustin played quality minutes and scored six points along with five assists alongside new Lakers-signee Garrett Temple who scored six points as well heading into the half way mark. Kobe had eight points and two steals while Gasol had ten points at the half and “Superman” Dwight Howard with a double double already with ten points and ten rebounds.

On the Phoenix Suns' side of things, Nash's pick-and-roll with Marcin Gortat seemed to be the only offense working for the Suns as the Lakers now had Howard to protect the rim and all the other Lakers players playing rejuvenated basketball. Gortat leads the Suns with sixteen at the half while Nash has five points and eight assists. Shannon Brown and Markief Morris tried to spark the Suns as they combined for thirteen bench points at the half.

Score: 52-40

Second Half: The second half was almost the same as the Lakers kept piling on points because of the inside play of Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol. The two big men were playing well together while it seemed they've been teammates for quite a while. Kobe took over for the Lakers however in the third quarter where he scored fourteen of his total twenty points for the game. The Lakers now had time to rest Kobe and put in quality guys like Temple and Wafer. Temple played a great game off the bench as he scored thirteen points and D.J. Augustin scored ten points while logging in seven assists. Both the starting five and second unit of the Lakers played well tonight as they cruised their way with a victory over the Suns.

The Suns did make it interesting in the opening minutes of the third quarter where they pulled in within six points when the score was 58-52. That's the closest that the Suns ever got after stellar play from Dudley and Gortat. Gortat's pick-and-roll offense proved to be the main purpose for the Suns offense while Dudley started making his 3s early on in the second half. However, the big man game from Gasol and Howard proved to be too much for the Suns as they suffered a loss here tonight.

Final Score: 108-94, Lakers win
GAME NOTES

Kobe Bryant: 20 points, 6 rebounds, and 4 assists.
Dwight Howard: 22 points, 16 rebounds, and 4 blocks.
Pau Gasol: 26 points, 12 rebounds.
Derek Fisher: 16 points, 5 assists.
D.J. Augustin: 10 points, 7 assists.
Garrett Temple: 13 points, 3 rebounds.

Steve Nash: 17 points, 12 assists, and 2 steals.
Marcin Gortat: 26 points, 12 rebounds.
Shannon Brown: 14 points, 4 rebounds.
Jared Dudley: 16 points, 5 rebounds.

Not a fan of the Lakers like I mentioned earlier, but this game shows this is the best thing to happen for Kobe. He doesn't need to be the guy as Pau and Dwight can carry the team. Obviously Kobe will still be the guy at the end I'd assume. Overall a nice win from LA, though it looks like the defensive side of things could use some work on the inside. Seeing how Gortat put up 20-10 plus and that shouldn't happen when you have Dwight and Pau. That'll need some work, but this team is too talented to fail so I expect a successful run in the west here.

I expect the distribution will likely be the same throughout the rest of the season with Pau, Dwight, and Kobe sharing the workload though I expect in the stretch run Kobe's points will drastically be close to the 30s and Pau's will be in the high teens to low 20s. Dwight will likely be a 20-20 guy all season as he is just that good.

Well this is awkward....I'm a Suns Fan....:suspic: It's kind of a weird story why, but that's for another thread for another time haha.

But this Book This is something new. I never thought you could Book sports teams cause I thought people we're just gonna book their team to win every single game and make them look like some unbeatable juggernaut, but I think you're a lot smarter than that and this is something I'm looking forward to reading.

I see you didn't waste any time getting Dwight Howard. Sheesh! Kobe AND Dwight AND Gasol. Oh Boy...this should be something alright. I'm more of a Football guy, but I'll spread knowledge if I can. But I will say, I like the addition of DJ Augustin. I always thought he was underrated. I thought you were gonna call Artest by his real name. That Metta World Peace nonsense is annoying.

Lakers looked dominant against the Suns, but that's really surprising at all. Howard had a good showing with 22 points.

I'm already looking forward to Lakers vs Heat ;)

Hey Jam here's my thoughts on your Laker dynasty so far.

Firstly, I'm anything but a Lakers fan (quite far from it to be exact) so the prospect of Los Angeles getting Dwight doesn't make me very happy to say the least :p

Personal feelings aside, lets have a look at what you've done.

I'm an avid basketball follower so no fairly well what goes around in the league. Personally, I think the trades are good, but not quie 100%.

First off the big one -

Orland Trade
Dwight Howard (C)&
Von Wafer (G)

Lakers Trade
Andrew Bynum (C),
Steve Blake (G) &
Cash Considerations.

I feel that you are one piece off this being a completely plausible trade. (Knowing what goes on in Orlando, anyone could get traded for Dwight :rolleyes:)
While Bynum is an All-Star Centre and a sure fire 2nd/3rd All NBA Team selection, he has somewhat dodgy knees and in my opinion does not rank in the same level as Dwight Howard. I believe that if you add in a 2012 or 2013 First round draft selection, or another piece (for example Andrew Goudelock) this trade is complete.

Now secondly -

Bobcats Trade
DJ Augistin &
Tyrus Thomas

Lakers Trade
Luke Walton,
Josh McRoberts,
Darius Morris &
2012 First Round Draft Selection

This trade I feel makes a lot more sense. While the Bobcats seem to be liking DJ and looking at him as a future star, they have got a good one in Kemba Walker. By getting this Lakers pick (to go with their near guaranteed Top 3 Pick), they can seriously get some good young talent to back up Kemba in this years draft. Only thing maybe that the Bobcats want Goudelock instead of Morris but other then that, great job.

All in all, the trades were about 90% perfect.

The Lakers end up with a great looking roster with some serious talent. The only thing this team lacks is a decent back up centre.

Great job JAM and good luck with the rest of your project (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back