Looking Back: SummerSlam 88

The Brain

King Of The Ring
I had an idea for a new thread series. Every week (or whenever I feel like it) I will post a thread discussing a past ppv. I'm looking for different opinions on that ppv. Did you enjoy it? Was it a let down? How was the show hyped in your opinion? Were you anticipating it? What would you have done different if you were in charge? When listing what you would have done different keep it realistic. For example don't say I would have booked Hulk Hogan vs. Lex Luger at SummerSlam 88. Luger was not with the WWF at the time so this would be impossible. Also book the show as if it was that time. Don't use your knowledge of the future. I don't know if this idea will be popular, but I will try a couple and see.

Fist up SummerSlam 88. Overall I think this was a good show. Obviously there are a lot of differences between wrestling in 1988 and today. In 1988 you had an hour of Superstars and an hour of Challenge per week. Both featured squash matches with an occasional feature bout. Looking at the card you would think the matches could take place on RAW not a major ppv. But I am going back to the way things were in 88 and saying this was a pretty good show. Keep in mind this was the first SummerSlam. The only other ppvs for the whole year were WrestleMania and Survivor Series. This added to the anticipation.

What's interesting is there were a lot of feuds going on at the time that were seemingly ignored at SummerSlam. For example Jake Roberts and Rick Rude had one of the biggest feuds going at the time. Jake wrestled Hercules and Rude wrestled JYD. Why didn't they wrestle each other? Also the Harts were feuding with the Rougeaus, but they wrestled Demoltion while the Rougeaus got the Bulldogs. Hacksaw was feuding with Bravo, but was a guest on Brother Love while Bravo wrestled Muraco, who was feuding with Valentine. Seems like a lot of these matches should have been shuffled around.

With that said the show was still entertaining. The Bulldogs and Rougeaus had a good match, as did the Harts and Demoltion. The Bolshevics put over the new team of the Powers of Pain, and Koko did the same for newcomer Big Bossman. Although the match was only 30 seconds, The Ultimate Warrior's win over the Honky Tonk Man put him on the map. This was the turning point in Warrior's career. I normally don't like a 30 second match on ppv, but this was done right. It made the Warrior and the crowd reaction in the Garden was electric. For those who don't know, Warrior was not scheduled to wrestle. Beefcake was the original opponent, but was injured. Honky issued an open challenge and when Warrior's music hit the roof blew off the Garden. This ended the record 15 month IC title reign of the hated Honky Tonk Man.

Now the main event. The Mega Powers vs. The Mega Bucks. This is a great example of the difference between 1988 and 2009. Today this would be a main event on RAW leading into the ppv. In 1988 this was a highly anticipated ppv main event. There was not much physical contact between the two teams leading up to SummerSlam except for a two on one attack on Savage in early July. It didn't matter. In fact it was probably better that way. Week after week the anticipatoin built for this epic encounter. WWF made it seem like this was the biggest match of all time. Granted I was only eight years old at the time, but I was sold. I couldn't wait. Jesse Ventura as guest referee added more drama. Jesse was a long time critic of Hogan and a supporter of Andre and Dibiase. There was even a segment on Brother Love where Dibiase was stuffing Jesse's jacket with $100's. Despite his reputation Jesse insisted he would call it down the middle. The match itself deliverd too. It was a great main event. It won't go down as an all time classic match, but it's fair to say you got what you expected.

Again even though I would have probably shuffled some matches around, this was a good show that served it's purpose. I'm not sure what to expect in terms of replies. I'm sure most people who read this were probably not fans (if even born yet) in 1988. If you've ever seen the show feel free to chime in anyway. I know it's not a hot topic. Just a stroll down memory lane.

Ahhh SummerSlam 88... the day I marked out and became a Warrior fan. I remember watching the PPV and having no idea who HTM's opponent was, I remember him saying on the mic to "get me someone to wrestle out here I don't care who it is". A few short moments passed, the music blared and out ran the Warrior, wham bam slam and splash! We had a new Intercontinental Champion in 30 seconds! Greatness was born that day indeed.

great idea for a thread and great first choice. Do me a favor and keep it late 80s and early 90s because that was just my fav time of wrestling, when i was young and totally bought into it all. I loved the squash matches for the weekly shows and then the big match ppvs. The ppvs were also so spread apart and i would always be so anxious for them. Summerslam 88 is one of the first ppv's i ever saw, well i saw it on tape a while later but its what got me really hooked on wrestling. The main event was awesome and the hart foundation became my favorite team watching them then. Looking back you're right about those matches needing to be switched, at the time though, i loved the whole show. Rude and Roberts would have been great though, probably would have stole the show. But yea the mega powers mega bucks was probably one of the biggest matches at the time, it was great to see 4 big stars who don't really team together put on such a great match as opposed to now when ppl like cena and hhh tag together and it just looks so sloppy. Another thing i remember from that ppv was the honky tonk man warrior match, it was so crazy at the time, and i even remember right before when they showed what happened to brutus, it was brutal.

You have to realize that Summerslam today is a lot different from Summerslam back then. The reason they did not have they fueds settled at Summerslam, is because Summerslam was not the place to settle fueds. 3 of the fist 4 SS have a tag match as the main event. It was also a place to get heels over. Rougeau Bro's got a push by proving they can go with the Bulldog's to the limit, while relative newcomers Bad News, Big Boss Man, & The Powers of Pain all got wins over at least halfway credible guys. Look at those first 3 SS's and you will see they use them to get upcommers over, especially heels. The one SS that did not have a tag as main event was the worst main event of the 3. It was Warrior vs Rude, which sucked because no one thought Rude would win, & Hogan vs Earthquake, which sucked because he did not pin him. Summerslam back in the day was what it was. A showcase of your stars, get some heels over, let the good guys win in the main event without buring anyone & prolonging the fueds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back