Lockerbie Plane Bomber released on 'Compassionate grounds'

HBK-aholic

Shawn Michaels ❤
The convicted Lockerbie bomber has been flown home to Libya after being freed from a Scottish prison on compassionate grounds.

Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi, 57, was jailed in 2001 for the atrocity which claimed 270 lives in 1988.

The decision to release Megrahi, who has terminal prostate cancer, was made by the Scottish Government.

US president Barack Obama said the decision was "a mistake" and some US victims' families reacted angrily.

Some 189 Americans were among those who died in the explosion.

This is sickening in my opinion. Justice? I know you'll all give me the bullshit "Well we have to show compassion or we'll be as bad as him" argument, but really I don't give a damn. He KILLED 270 people. Yet all of that is forgotten when fate is nice for a change and decides he deserves to die. I am absolutely with all the Americans who react angrily. It's annoying me and I don't have any family who died due to him. Although I do think the supposed boycott of British products is a bit Childish, they have every right to be annoyed at the Scottish government. This shows once again why I hate the British justice system.

The question here is not whether the release was right or wrong, it's whether prison is to reform or punish. If it is reform then 20 years and a release a month before he dies is ok, if it's to punish then he should stay in jail.

I for one think he should stay in I mean come on, what's with the UK government releasing people on 'compassionate' grounds, the same goes for Biggs who was released for the same reason a few weeks back. Both shouldn't have been and I think it's a disgrace.

The question here is not whether the release was right or wrong, it's whether prison is to reform or punish. If it is reform then 20 years and a release a month before he dies is ok, if it's to punish then he should stay in jail.

I would say that it's mostly for punishment. I don't think anyone expects murders to change their ways just because they spend time in prison.

As for the release, I think it's just stupid. Why should he get to spend the last fews months of his life being worshiped by his countymen and be able to spend it with his family and loved ones while he ruined the lives of 200 people and their families? It just doens't make any sense. I'm all about compassion, but not for this guy.

I'm not a big fan of this release. I'm usually the voice of compassion in the Cigar Lounge, believing that prison damn well should be about reform and not punishment, but here, I just don't know. I suppose on one hand it doesn't really matter, since he's going to die soon anyways. But on the other hand, it just seems a tad stupid to me. If he's going to die anyways, why not just let him die in prison? Is it really that big of a deal? Better than have him go home and be heralded as a hero for killing 270 innocent people. He's a P.O.S., and he doesn't deserve that privilege.

At the end of the day...oh well is all I can really say. He's going to die either way. It's just a shame that they had to release him like that. Rather embarrassing on their part.

The english govt made a deal with libya. They agreed to release this poor guy(after all he ONLY killed some dumb AMERICANS) so that bp could buy some oil.

Lets see if they release the guys who bombed the london subways if they get"sick".

If I was in charge travel to & from libya & england would be strictly prohibited and ALL assistance to both would be cut off.

question for all you englenders.
Is german your official language?

YOU"RE WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's pathetic that he was released to spend his last month being worshipped as a hero and being in the loving arms of his family, when the 270 innocent people he killed, will never get to experience anything like that, nor will their family. I do not care if he mortally ill and will die, he should die in prison where he belongs. I too can be a compassionate person, but not in this situation. It pisses me off to no end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back