• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Little Jerry Lawler's Hall of Fame Campaign Part 3

Little Jerry Lawler

Sigmund Freud On Ritalin And Roids
Probably all of you have forgotten my previous campaigns for legends like Charles Robinson and Earl Hebner to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. I come to you with a new candidate who has longevity as well as productivity. The man amongst men I bring to you is none other than....

chioda.jpg

Mike Chioda broke into the wrestling business with the help of the late great Gorilla Monsoon and one of his first known appearances was at Survivor Series 1989.

Fast forward a decade later, Chioda teamed up with The Rock and Y2J against the Dudley Boyz and the beloved Nick Patrick. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and Chioda busted out his own version of the People's Elbow.

[YOUTUBE]uXHwDAnh65E[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]-dBtdW_2Eg4[/YOUTUBE]

Over his career, he has refereed many Wrestlemania main event matches such as Austin/Michaels, Rock/Hogan, HHH/Batista, and HHH/Cena. Let's not forget the infamous superplex Brock Lesnar performed on the Big Show. Chioda was there as well.

Let us this celebrate a guy who puts on the striped shirt and gets in the ring and does his thing. He can take a bump and sell it like nobody business and he should be a measuring stick for the young referees who want to make it in this cutthroat company they call World Wrestling Entertainment. ALL HAIL CHIODA!!!! Frown upon this and what happened to Chioda in the following clip may happen to you.

[YOUTUBE]0545UICGRVE[/YOUTUBE]

Do you think referees should be inducted into the Hall of Fame just like interviewers and announcers are?

I say yes because they play a big part in what goes on during a match. They remind the wrestlers of how much time they have left, gauge crowd reaction, and prevent a risk of injury amongst other duties. Referees do a damn good job and they have my appreciation and respect. Hebner, Robinson, and Chioda have refereed the most important matches in WWE history and I believe a spot in the Hall of Fame will be waiting for them.

What say you?

Definitly agree LJL.

Chioda was the man, I always liked Heb better but a ref that knows what he's doing is such a great asset to a match. From the way they do the ring out count, to the way they slap the mat for the count, it all looks better when these 2 did it. I hate the ref's with no passion and are clumsy in the ring. Lmao @ the classic moments in your clips. Almost forgot about the tag match!

As for the HOF, I gotta say, I would not mind seeing them inducted. Announcers as well. We all know who deserves a spot in there. And I think they truly do deserve it. They may not preform to the levels the stars do, but they are an intrucal part of the "match" in itself.

They travel, they are involved, and we all tend to either love em or hate em, kayfabe of course, but genuine feelings do come into play. I could not imagine what growing up watching the E without JR calling the matches would have been like. He has it, and we all seen it again on Monday. Passion. Its a must for ppl in this buisness.

They are people too, people that make the "on air" personas and moments come to life. And without them wrestling would be nothing more than a 2 hr silent film type deal. That don't fly with me. So I'm all for it LJL, I think its a hell of an idea and hope that these personalities could one day be preserved in the HOF. Sign me up!

I'm on both side here. While I feel referees as well as announcers and interviewers should be recognized in the Hall of Fame, I think this should be done when they're no longer active.

I had no issues with Mean Gene, he was done. But Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler going in while they were still active bugged me. Only one wrestler, Ric Flair, got inducted while still on the active roster. And while JR is as great at a desk as Flair was in a ring, I felt JR still had more years of announcing to go before getting such an honor.

Referees as well. I think the Hebners should both be in one day. Along as Lil Flair Robinson and Mike Chioda. But if they're still active, I'd say wait.

But I must thank you for the clips. I actually enjoyed that match more than most of what WWE puts out now.

I'd personally pick Joey Marella as the first ref to go into the Hall Of Fame, due to his dad being in there and him dying so young. Plus he did his job, and was easy to ignore. I liked him

GORE! GORE! GORE!

But if I could be serious for one moment, I think it is high-time that referees got inducted. Someone like Earl Hebner deserves to be in the HOF, even though his most infamous moment maybe SS97.

But that is alright, I mean he too is an integral part of wrestling folklore and has had to make equal sacrifices just like the wrestlers of being away from the family and on the road. Chioda is a good pick, man has always sold his side of the storyline nicely and taken bumps like Curly from The Stooges.

Dangerous Danny Davis or Earl/Dave Hebner :p anyone who watched the Hogan era knows who they were

Earl Hebner though has got to be the most famous referee of all time.

Teddy Long too but only cause he went onto be a General manager

It's ironic to consider referees as Hall of Famers, since the ones who do the best job are the ones to don't call attention to themselves. If you don't notice them during a match, it means they were performing their task effectively. But there's no doubt they have a vital part to play in wrestling, as the guys who are responsible for keeping the timing of the match in sync and relaying instructions to the wrestlers.

Referees are like long snappers in football; the only time you notice them is when they screw up. To that end, a guy like Mike Chioda belongs in the HOF (eventually) because he's so unobtrusive, yet effective. I'll bet the wrestlers have referees they prefer to work with.....not that it would ever make a good topic for an interview.

That's life in a striped shirt.

chioda.jpg

HAHAHAHA Chioda got fucking OWNED right there by Shane'O!

Seriously though, the role of a referee in wrestling is very important, and I think they are definitely underappreciated. They need to relay information to the wrestlers, make sure they are in the right position at all times, get the counts right and occasionally take a shot or a bump. Mike Chioda is one of the referees who plays his role perfectly. I don't know about whether he is worth a spot in the hall-of-fame, I am leaning towards NO, but he deserves praise for what he has contributed to alot of big WWE matches over the years.

Fuck it, just put him in the HOF just for that shot he took from Shane!!! Legendary! LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back