• MGS3

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fizzy

Mid-Card Championship Winner
256px-Littlebigplanet2-boxart.jpg

250px-Mgs3box.jpg

OK now it really is time for Little Big Planet to fuck off.

It wrongly got past Mario Kart

It wrongly got past Bomberman

It must not get past Metal Gear Solid 3.

This is a game that has only been out for all of 6 months, that is nowhere near long enough for a reasoned judgement on it and it sure as fuck does not deserve to beat 3 classic games. I would be happy to vote against it purely for that but instead I'm also going to give you reasons to vote for the best Metal Gear in the series.

The Story
The story is infact deceptively brilliant, looking at the idea of a soldier's indentity being wrapped up in the idealogy of right and wrong and the lost disillusioned generation of soldiers who would lead to the story of MGS4, mercenaries and the war economy. Snake Eater is the genesis of the story and actually requires you to control original Snake/the soon to be Big Boss and villain of future games.

The Gameplay
The thing about early Metal Gear games is they're about precision and timing, in Snake Eater the jungle setting makes that so much more difficult to plot a course or find proper cover when all you can see infront of you is greens and browns, made even worse by enemy soldiers who are also camoflaged. It's a very organic enviroment that requires ultimate stealth and quick thinking if you fuck it up, there's no technology to save you here. It's you Vs an army.

The Bosses
If the story is great and the setting is revolutionary, it's the bosses that are truly the games greatest asset. The Fear is probably one of the most underrated villains in gaming history, always forgotten behind The End. His perfect camoflage, combined with his speed and the fact that his poisoned crossbow bolts are hallucinagenic make him near invisible amongst the tree-branches. He is really just a warmup though, the battle with The End is a classic gaming moment and even better than the fight with Sniper Wolf in Metal Gear Sold. The old man hides high up amongst the rocks with his sniper rifle while his parrot works as a spotter and he simply waits for you to make a mistake as you try to work out where the fuck he'd hiding. Even if you're successful first time out, this is a boss fight that will take at least 30 minutes and can go on for hours as you hide behind a log, low health wondering whether you'll be shot in the head with your next move.
Vote Metal Gear Sold: Snake Eater, because it's the better game and it deserves to be here.

And I've just read that a HD release will be coming to the PS3. :)

Reactions: Lee
I agree that LBP should never have gotten this far. But in my opinion, neither should have MGS 3. I am a huge fan of the original Metal Gear Solid, but MGS 3 disappointed me just like MGS 2. They both failed to both fix the mistakes of its predecessor and improve upon the strengths.

I'm not the kind of person who hates games that have a decent share of cut-scenes. It's better than no cut-scenes and constant action with no breather. But wow, MGS fails to find the balance so badly that it's frustrating. I'm a supporter of video games becoming cinematic, I loved Heavy Rain. But this just didn't work. The AI was also noticably flawed. When you're in cover, you were never positive if they were going to see you or not, which was also frustrating.And lastly, my god, the storyline. Convoluted, self-induldgent bullshit. I respect the hell out of Kojima and Konami, but fuck off.

Yes, I am aware of it's strengths. The brilliance of the settings and surroundings, and the tense atmosphere running throughout the game. But MGS3 as well as MGS2 were big steps backwards from the innovation or fun of the first one.

LPB is a bit of an enigma. As a game, it really shouldn't work, but somehow it does. While it's not better than the original, at no point does it make you feel like it's making the series go backwards like MGS3 does. It has it's fair share of annoying glitches and the co-op is totally tacked on, but the flaws are not as major as MGS3.

Another losing battle I'm fighting here, but my vote goes to LBP2.

A very interesting match-up here. The rookie sensation versus the grizzled vet.

Metal Gear Solid 3 might be my favorite in the series. The lush jungle setting was a refreshing change to the cold and sterile facilities of it's predecessors. The emphasis on survival, from camo to hunting, added some interesting wrinkles to the familiar formula. The story might be my favorite of all the Metal Gear games, capped off with a real tear-jerker of an ending. As a prequel, the plot also gave the series a much-needed foundation for both established and future events to build off of. It also featured one of the best boss fights in gaming against The End. Though the combat system had begun to show it's age at that point, it was more than solid. In short, MGS 3 is a phenomenal game that still holds up today.

I don't understand why LittleBigPlanet is getting so much hate in this tournament. It's the arguably the premier platformer in a generation when we see very few not named Mario.

With it's creation tools the game allows for an unprecedented amount of user interactivity and creativity, giving you the power to not only create more levels to explore but entire games. And not just platformers, but many genres. I've seen FPS, racing games, dungeon crawlers, you name it. And many of these are so imaginative, so well designed, it would give some professional developers a run for their money. Great platforming, unlimited replay, and an endless well of quality content make for a great time whether alone or in a group. If I could fault the game for anything, it's that the platforming still feels a bit too floaty and the creation tools have a wicked learning curve. Be prepared to Youtube some tutorials. LBP 2 is a game with monumental ambition and it delivered big time.

I've yet to encounter a legitimate reason for why LBP shouldn't advance other than nostalgia-laden arguments supporting the opposing game simply for being a "classic". It's enough to make you want to vote for LBP out of spite. But I'm above that, so while I believe LBP to be better than the games it's beaten thus far, Metal Gear gets my vote here. And the sole reason for that is simply me being a bigger fan of Metal Gear than LBP. But I wouldn't mind one bit if Sackboy took the win here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back