Light Heavyweight Rankings

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
The top ten rankings for Heavyweights are those of Sherdog.com, and do not neccesarilly reflect the opinions of Wrestlezone.com, Wrestlezone Forms, IrishCanadian25, the Santino Marella Fan-a-Club, or its affiliates. Comments are those of the thread starter, however.

1. Lyoto Machida, 15-0. The UFC Light Heavyweight Champ, undefeated and fresh off a win over former champ Rashaad Evans. His all-important first defense is going to be against Shogun Rua at UFC 104, since #1 Contender Quinton Jackson is coaching TUF against Evans.

2. Quinton Jackson, 30-7. Former LHW Champ Jackson will coach TUF 10 and eventually work up to a ling-awaited showdown with the third ranked fighter, Rashaad Evans.

3. Rashaad Evans, 13-1-1. Another heavyweight-turned-LHW, Evans lost the LHW Title to Machida in brutal fashion, and will now return to his roots - The Ultimate Fighter Reality Show - leading up to a showdown with Jackson.

4. Forrest Griffin, 16-5. Lost the LHW Title to Evans in December, the fan favorite has foregone a fight with Thiago Alves to meet Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva on August 8 in a Superfight between two weight classes.

5. Mauricio Rua, 18-3. With Jackson and Evans coaching and Griffin facing Anderson Silva, Rua found himself in the enviable position of #1 contender available to face Machida. He will get his title shot at UFC 104.

6. Luis Cane, 10-1. Cane defeated former WEC Champ Steve Cantwell in a tough fight. It remains to be seen what his next step is, but he is considered a top prospect at 205.

7. Wanderlei Silva, 32-9-1. Silva is teasing a move to Middleweight, and will test that idea out in an upcoming fight against former Middleweight Champ Rich Franklin in a fight where the weight class is being called "195 lbs," the midpoint between LHW and MW.

8. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, 17-3. His brother, Minotaro Nogueira, is a HW contender, and Rogerio is a LHW contender. He defated Dion Staring with a choke recently, but it remains to be seen if he will get top competition in his next fight.

9. Keith Jardine, 14-5-1. Up and down more than Missy Hyatt in an ECW lockerroom, Jardine was once considered a can't miss title contender. He will fight 10th ranked Thiago Silva at UFC 102 in a fight that will define the next step in both men's careers.

10. Thiago Silva, 13-1. Thiago got destroyed by champ Machida, and after would-be opponent Griffin took a fight with Anderson Silva, Thiago will get Jardine instead. The loser of the match is likely out of the top-10.

Thoughts...

The UFC LHW Division may be the deepest MMA Division in the world right now.

Rich Franklin and Chuck Liddel remain "members" of the division, though time will tell if Franklin returns to Middleweight and if Liddel retires.

TUF Heavyweight Champ Ryan Bader dropped to LHW, following in Rashaad's footsteps. I expect him to crack the top 10 by year's end. He's that good.

Crowd favorite Matt Hamill, beloved for his toughness despite his disability, is 8-2. Here's hoping his next fight is a big one.

The UFC LHW Division may be the deepest MMA Division in the world right now.

I couldn't disagree more. That use to be the case, but today... there is way more competition in the Welterweight and Lightweight Divisions, in my opinion.

Rich Franklin and Chuck Liddel remain "members" of the division, though time will tell if Franklin returns to Middleweight and if Liddel retires.

Franklin wants to remain in the LHW Division until Anderson Silva either gets dethroned, or vacates the Title. So, yeah.. expect him to be there for quite sometime.

TUF Heavyweight Champ Ryan Bader dropped to LHW, following in Rashaad's footsteps. I expect him to crack the top 10 by year's end. He's that good.

Bader's definitely a big strong dude, with fantastic wrestling and a fucking powerful overhand right. But I'm still not completely sold on him. Someone like Matt Hamill would destroy him, I think. And speaking of Hamill...

Crowd favorite Matt Hamill, beloved for his toughness despite his disability, is 8-2. Here's hoping his next fight is a big one.

... he's one of my favorites, as well. And his next fight is pretty big, against Brandon Vera at UFC 102, and he should dominate it with ease. Hamill's only problem though is that he likes to stand-up and bang, but I'm hoping he uses his head against Vera and utilize his superior wrestling in the match. There's nothing Vera could do to Hamill with Hamill on top on top of him. And if Hamill can get this win in dominating fashion, one or maybe two more wins after it... he should be in line for a Title shot. And he's one of the very few in the Division I feel who could give Machida a run for his money.

Oh, and Keith Jardine and Wanderlei Silva being in the Top 10 on that list is a fucking joke.

I couldn't disagree more. That use to be the case, but today... there is way more competition in the Welterweight and Lightweight Divisions, in my opinion.

"Couldn't disagree more" would mean that you felt the Heavyweight Division was the deepest. We disagree, but we're not totally off base.

I can't accept that the Welterweight Division is deeper, and when I do their rankings you'll see why I feel that way. And I can't see too many people caring for the Lightweight division.

Bader's definitely a big strong dude, with fantastic wrestling and a fucking powerful overhand right. But I'm still not completely sold on him. Someone like Matt Hamill would destroy him, I think. And speaking of Hamill...

Hamill wouldn't destroy Bader. Bader is stronger than Hamill, as good a wrestler as Hamill, and probably even in terms of stand-up. Hamill has an edge in submissions, which, as you point out below, he doesn't use all the time. I think it'd be a remarkable fight. I am 100% sold on Bader as the next Forrest Griffin in terms of catapulting himself following TUF.

... he's one of my favorites, as well. And his next fight is pretty big, against Brandon Vera at UFC 102, and he should dominate it with ease. Hamill's only problem though is that he likes to stand-up and bang, but I'm hoping he uses his head against Vera and utilize his superior wrestling in the match. There's nothing Vera could do to Hamill with Hamill on top on top of him. And if Hamill can get this win in dominating fashion, one or maybe two more wins after it... he should be in line for a Title shot. And he's one of the very few in the Division I feel who could give Machida a run for his money.

LOVE the guy. Class all the way. Can't wait to see him dismantle Vera.

Oh, and Keith Jardine and Wanderlei Silva being in the Top 10 on that list is a fucking joke.

Jardine at #9 I can accept. Silva has no place in a top-10 right now. He's there 'cause he's a name. Ridiculous.

What's Jardine's recent history like? I always have a grin on my face when I'm told of that guy's misfortunes. By that I mean that I was very much pleased when he got knocked the fuck out by Houston Alexander. In your face, you arrogant motherfucker.

What's Jardine's recent history like? I always have a grin on my face when I'm told of that guy's misfortunes. By that I mean that I was very much pleased when he got knocked the fuck out by Houston Alexander. In your face, you arrogant motherfucker.

He's a roller-coaster. He was really among the first (other than Jackson) to beat the over-the-hill Lidell, then he lost in less than a minute to Wanderei Silva (who I think simply surprised Jardine). He responded with a split-decision win over Brandon Vera, and then he lost a close decision to Rampage Jackson.

He gets Thiago Silva at UFC 102. Let's see which Jardine shows up.

Whichever one it is, it'll be the one I built up an intense dislike for because he defeated me on the videogame. Come to think of it, that's the same reason I dislike Houston Alexander. Lyoto Machida was nice enough to fall unconscious even when my punches missed. Good guy.

Has Machida lost a round yet?

No Samuel, Lyoto has yet to lose a round on the score cards.

I agree that Wandy has no place in the rankings right now, but Jardine does. Although his record is filled with one win, then one lose, then one win. He holds wins over former UFC lightweight champion Forrest Griffin, Chuck Liddell when people still thought he was dangerous, and actually almost beat Quinton Jackson. Jackon, the man with steel for hands wasn't able to Knock him out which is saying something considering most think he has a glass chin, and two of the three judges claimed Jardine would have won the fight if Jackson did not knock him down in the last 10 seconds of the fight. So yeah i definitely think he deserves his spot in the top 10.

The Lightweight division of the UFC is everything that most pro-wrestling fans wish happened in WCW... it overshadows the Heavyweight division. With fighters the likes of BJ Penn, Shawn Sherk, Kenny Florian and now Diego Sanchez, it is just an utterly dangerous and stacked division for any new fighters. If I were them, I'd start eating some cheeseburgers.

Franklin wants to remain in the LHW Division until Anderson Silva either gets dethroned, or vacates the Title. So, yeah.. expect him to be there for quite sometime.

Yeah, what a pussy move. But, you can't take away from Franklin. He's a tough SOB and a great fighter. You can't look at what he's doing and not see the logic. Just because he can't defeat Silva doesn't mean that he isn't good... it just means that Silva is THAT much better than everyone else.

This I can't agree with. The only thing Hamill has on Bader is Octagon experience. Bader is the better wrestler and striker. Hamill's fights are all snooze-fests. The guy has no aggression whatsoever. Bader, on the other hand, is out for blood whenever he fights.

I'm sort of with you on this. Hamill is a world champion wrestler, yet he doesn't utilize it during his fights. The guy wants to be a boxer when he could easily destroy most of his opponents if he had some good ground and pound. This is why I believe Bader is a better fighter... he's smarter, goes into fights with a game plan, and actually sticks to it. Hamill has been known for going off his game plan. It's going to cost him big unless he learns to stick with a strategy.

Before we wreck Silva, understand that the guy was consistent before he came back to the UFC. Lately, he's been bested by newer fighters. But, he still deserves to be in the top 10.

Jardine, on the other hand, is inconsistent and unreliable. No one gives two shits about if he's on a fight card. He shouldn't be ranked AT ALL. The only reason why he's up there is because of two lucky punches... one against Liddell and one against Silva. Let's face it, ANYONE could win a fight if they connect with the right punch. Jardine is only dangerous because he style is so unorthodox that fighters have trouble defending his wild punches. When he misses, he gets his ass handed to him. But when he hits, his power puts good fighter down to the mat. In my opinion, Jardine belongs in the UFC of 1999, not 2009.

The Lightweight division of the UFC is everything that most pro-wrestling fans wish happened in WCW... it overshadows the Heavyweight division. With fighters the likes of BJ Penn, Shawn Sherk, Kenny Florian and now Diego Sanchez, it is just an utterly dangerous and stacked division for any new fighters. If I were them, I'd start eating some cheeseburgers.

Great analogy.

Yeah, what a pussy move. But, you can't take away from Franklin. He's a tough SOB and a great fighter. You can't look at what he's doing and not see the logic. Just because he can't defeat Silva doesn't mean that he isn't good... it just means that Silva is THAT much better than everyone else.

I'm not so sure I would call it a pussy move. I mean, Franklin just knows Anderson Silva has his number. And plus, the two have become pretty good friends lately, so you have to factor that into it as well.

And I 100% completely agree with the rest of your statement there. I'm a huge Rich Franklin fan.

This I can't agree with. The only thing Hamill has on Bader is Octagon experience. Bader is the better wrestler and striker. Hamill's fights are all snooze-fests. The guy has no aggression whatsoever. Bader, on the other hand, is out for blood whenever he fights.

Well, hopefully this fight is booked sooner rather than later so we can find out. The match-up is definitely intriging and perfect for a mid-card bout in the middle of a big show. Or perhaps even a main event worthy bout on a Fight Night or TUF Season Finale. Either way, the fight needs to happen!

I'm sort of with you on this. Hamill is a world champion wrestler, yet he doesn't utilize it during his fights. The guy wants to be a boxer when he could easily destroy most of his opponents if he had some good ground and pound. This is why I believe Bader is a better fighter... he's smarter, goes into fights with a game plan, and actually sticks to it. Hamill has been known for going off his game plan. It's going to cost him big unless he learns to stick with a strategy.

Hamill has such strength in his punches and kicks, it makes him forget that he still sucks at striking technical wise. But even so... the guy's only true loss was against a great fighter in Rich Franklin (he won that fight against Bisping, in my opinion). And in that Franklin fight.... there was something seriously wrong with Hamill. He just wasn't himself in that fight for whatever reason.

Before we wreck Silva, understand that the guy was consistent before he came back to the UFC. Lately, he's been bested by newer fighters. But, he still deserves to be in the top 10.

Ever since he got his head kicked off against Cro Cop, Wanderlei has not been the same. His chin is gone, and he's less aggressive. I still love the guy... but he definitely doesn't deserve to be on anyone's top 10 LHW list, especially when he's lost 5 out of his last 6 fights.

You know who I would love to see him fight though? Chris Leben. That would be a war.

Jardine, on the other hand, is inconsistent and unreliable. No one gives two shits about if he's on a fight card. He shouldn't be ranked AT ALL. The only reason why he's up there is because of two lucky punches... one against Liddell and one against Silva. Let's face it, ANYONE could win a fight if they connect with the right punch. Jardine is only dangerous because he style is so unorthodox that fighters have trouble defending his wild punches. When he misses, he gets his ass handed to him. But when he hits, his power puts good fighter down to the mat. In my opinion, Jardine belongs in the UFC of 1999, not 2009.

Agreed.

Babalu doesn't get any love in this one? The dude is a champion after all....

I agree, he should definitely be on this list. But the guy is also on a six fight win streak. It's fucking hard to win six fights in a row in this sport, and not only did he do it... but he did it against tough competition. People just hold the Liddell losses against him and to me that's complete bullshit. The fact is... if you put Babalu and Chuck Liddell in the same cage today, Babalu will destroy him this time around. And in my opinion, the Babalu of TODAY would also destroy the Iceman of 2006, too.

But yeah... I'm sure with a win over Gegard Mousasi this Saturday, he'll start getting put on everyone's list as far as best LHWs in the World are concerned.

Well, I know I was preaching Babalu, but Mousasi kicked his ass good last night. That definitely knocked him down the rankings. Mousasi's performance/domination over a great fighter should put him solidly in the top ten. I'd put him at probably 4th or 5th. I never saw him fight before, so today I watched some of his earlier fights. He looks like an absolute beast.

The biggest problem for Mousasi is the lack of great 205er's outside the UFC. He's going to be beating up on nobodies and losing respect. I sincerely hope that the UFC signs him when his obligation to M-1/Strikeforce is up. It would set up some unbelievable battles.

Update as of August 12:

1. Lyoto Machida (15-0)
Fresh off his May 23 blowout of Rashad Evans, it appeared as though Machida would soon start preparing for a challenge from former light heavyweight ruler Quinton “Rampage” Jackson. However, with Jackson opting for a second coaching stint on “The Ultimate Fighter,” Machida’s first title defense will come in October against Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at UFC 104.

2. Quinton Jackson (30-7)
Jackson was handed a title shot against Machida, but he opted to settle his beef with Evans instead. The pair will coach opposite each other on the 10th season of “The Ultimate Fighter.”

3. Rashad Evans (13-1-1)
After his first career loss -- and a brutal loss no less -- Evans is not taking it easy. “The Ultimate Fighter 2” winner will return to the show on which he first made his name, coaching against rival Jackson on Season 10. The two light heavyweights will meet later this year.

4. Mauricio Rua (18-3)
Fortune has smiled upon Rua. After UFC 98, it looked as if “Shogun” was a fight or more away from challenging for the UFC title. Now, however, the consensus 2005 “Fighter of the Year” will have a chance to regain light heavyweight supremacy against divisional champion Machida at UFC 104 in October.

5. Forrest Griffin (16-6)
Not long ago, Griffin was UFC light heavyweight champion and had picked up pound-for-pound quality wins over Rua and Jackson. However, after his destruction at the hands of middleweight king Anderson Silva at UFC 101, those wins seem like a distant memory for the original “Ultimate Fighter.”

6. Luis Arthur Cane (10-1)
It was his toughest test to date, but “Banha” showed poise in toughing out an entertaining decision in his April 18 bout with former World Extreme Cagefighting champion Steve Cantwell. It should be onward and upward for the hot prospect in the 205-pound division.

7. Rich Franklin (25-4, 1 NC)
Franklin was tabbed for a rematch with Dan Henderson at UFC 103 in September. However, when the MMA media and fans decided they were not keen on the matchup, Zuffa gave the people what they wanted. Franklin will now meet Vitor Belfort at a 195-pound catchweight come Sept. 19.

8. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (17-3)
Though an appearance at Affliction “Trilogy” did not materialize for Nogueira, “Minotoro” will not settle for inactivity. Having made his homeland MMA debut in his native Brazil in May, Nogueira will go back for seconds when he takes on “The Brazilian Killa” Alex Stiebling under the Bitetti Combat banner on Sept. 12.

9. Keith Jardine (14-5-1)
With his up-and-down performances, Jardine’s place in the light heavyweight division has been hard to peg. However, “The Dean of Mean” will get the chance to show where he stacks up when he takes on Brazilian brawler Thiago Silva at UFC 102 on Aug. 29.

10. Wanderlei Silva (32-10-1, 1 NC)
Though Silva dropped a unanimous verdict to Franklin at UFC 99, “The Axe Murderer” fought gamely throughout, and many thought he deserved the decision. His days at 205 pounds seem numbered, but his performance against Franklin has at least kept him relevant for a middleweight run.

Other contenders: Jon Jones, Chuck Liddell, Vladimir Matyushenko, Thiago Silva, Renato Sobral

Now, this list was compiled before the Strikeforce show last Saturday, but if you ask me... Gegard Mousasi should have been on it already having a 12 fight win streak going into the Strikeforce show. Yes, it was a quiet 12 fight win streak, but these are supposed to be "experts" of the sport compiling up these list. Granted, a lot of those wins Mousasi had was at Middleweight, but he wasn't on the Middleweight rankings either, so that's no excuse. But I fully expect him to shoot right up the list when the next pair of rankings come out next month because of his destruction over Babalu (who also should have been on this list). I'd have him at either #4 or #5.

Other than that, I would bump off Wandy and put Jon Jones in that 10th spot, and I would move Lil' Nog one spot ahead of Forrest Griffin, but everything else is cool in my book.

I'd put Anderson Silva on the list. I might not know that much about MMA, but I do know this - he kicked the absolute piss out of the guy that's number five on that list. If that's not enough to justify being up there, I honestly don't know what is.

I would honestly go as far as putting Anderson Silva in the top 5 in the LH division right now. I don't think there's anyone that can beat this guy.

Update as of September 3rd:

1. Lyoto Machida (15-0)
Fresh off his May 23 blowout of Rashad Evans, it appeared as though Machida would soon start preparing for a challenge from former light heavyweight ruler Quinton “Rampage” Jackson. However, with Jackson opting for a second coaching stint on “The Ultimate Fighter,” Machida’s first title defense will come Oct. 24 against Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at UFC 104.

2. Quinton Jackson (30-7)
Though Jackson was handed a title shot against Machida, he opted to settle his beef with Rashad Evans instead. Jackson and Evans will coach opposite each other on the 10th season of “The Ultimate Fighter," but it’s not clear whether their December superfight will come to fruition, as rumors swirl of "Rampage" looking to take on the role of B.A. Baracus in the forthcoming "A-Team" film.

3. Rashad Evans (13-1-1)
Evans signed on to coach against rival Quinton "Rampage" Jackson on the next season of "The Ultimate Fighter" in order to set up a marquee clash between the two in December. However, with talks that Jackson is keenly interested in channeling his inner Mr. T in Hollywood, Evans will either enjoy the advantage of focus and preparation, or in the worst case scenario, a new opponent.

4. Mauricio Rua (18-3)
Fortune has smiled upon Rua. After UFC 98, it looked as if “Shogun” was a fight or more away from challenging for the UFC title. Now, however, the consensus 2005 “Fighter of the Year” will have a chance to regain light heavyweight supremacy against divisional champion Machida at UFC 104 in October.

Not long ago, Griffin was UFC light heavyweight champion and had picked up pound-for-pound quality wins over Rua and Jackson. However, after his destruction at the hands of middleweight king Anderson Silva at UFC 101, those wins seem like a distant memory for the original “Ultimate Fighter.”

6. Thiago Silva (14-1)
Coming off of a complete blowout defeat against now-divisional king Lyoto Machida in January, Silva rebounded about as well as any fighter could hope to at UFC 102. It took him just 95 seconds to find his left hook counter and pound out Keith Jardine for the most impressive win of his career.

7. Gegard Mousasi (26-2-1)
In his first major introduction to western MMA fans, Mousasi performed brilliantly as it took just 60 seconds for him to crush veteran Renato "Babalu" Sobral and claim Strikeforce's 205-pound title. A scale won't be needed for the 24-year-old's next action. He'll be alongside the likes of Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou, Ikuhisa Minowa and South Korean giant Hong Man Choi in the finale of Dream's Super Hulk tournament at Dream 12 on Oct. 25.

8. Luis Arthur Cane (10-1)
It was his toughest test to date, but “Banha” showed poise in toughing out an entertaining decision in his April 18 bout with former World Extreme Cagefighting champion Steve Cantwell. It should be onward and upward for the hot prospect in the 205-pound division.

9. Rich Franklin (25-4, 1 NC)
Franklin was tabbed for a rematch with Dan Henderson at UFC 103 in September. However, when the MMA media and fans decided they were not keen on the matchup, Zuffa gave the people what they wanted. Franklin will now meet Vitor Belfort at a 195-pound catchweight come Sept. 19.

10. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (17-3)
"Minotoro" was scheduled to meet Alex Stiebling under the Bitetti Combat banner on Sept. 12 before his twin, "Minotauro" Nogueira, announced late last month that he would be on his way to the UFC soon. Though a deal has yet to be inked, manager Ed Soares expects Rogerio Nogueira in the Octagon by the year's end.

Other contenders: Keith Jardine, Chuck Liddell, Vladimir Matyushenko, Wanderlei Silva, Renato Sobral

So after not being ranked, Gegard Mousasi shoots up to #7 after his fight against Renato Sobral at Strikeforce's Carano/Cyborg show, huh? I like it! It's well deserved, and I fully expect him to be in that #2 or even perhaps someday that #1 spot in the near future.

This list all around is top notch. I'm glad to see they finally bumped off Keith Jardine and Wanderlei Silva. It's about fucking time, if you ask me. Though I do think Thiago Silva should be ahead of Forrest Griffin. I mean, I love Forrest, don't get me wrong, but he got completely embarrassed against Anderson Silva, and while there's nothing wrong with that, he should still not be in front of someone who knocked out a previous top 10 fighter in just a minute and thirty seconds.

Other than that though, great list. In fact, I think it's the most accurate rankings out of every single division.

I'm not so sure I'd put Rampage over Rashad until they actually fight the more I think about this. They were both one fight champions, with one common opponent they have different results on, Forrest. Rashad beat him, Rampage didn't. Other than that, their UFC careers are really not that much different. I think that Rampage's Japanese career comes too much into play in this one. He's a little more hype than actual substance lately. Rashad lost his last fight in terrible fashion, yes, but his record before that was pretty damn solid.

When these two fight, I feel Rashad will own Rampage. That'll clear up this problem I havem, lol.

Update as of November 25th:

1. Lyoto Machida (16-0)
The rematch will happen a few months later than expected, but when Machida's hand has fully healed, the UFC light heavyweight champion is expected to meet fellow Brazilian Mauricio "Shogun" Rua on May 1 in Montreal.

2. Mauricio Rua (18-4)
Though Rua would undoubtedly have preferred to get his rematch with Lyoto Machida in January, "Shogun" will have his chance to right what many observers feel is one of 2009's most egregious wrongs on May 1 in Montreal.

3. Quinton Jackson (30-7)
While viewers continue to watch the shortcomings of Team Rampage on “The Ultimate Fighter 10,” Jackson remains hard at work away from the sport of MMA. He can be found on the set of Hollywood’s “The A-Team,” playing B.A. Baracus, much to the chagrin of the MMA world that eagerly awaited his showdown with Rashad Evans.

4. Rashad Evans (13-1-1)
“The Ultimate Fighter 10” rolls on, but MMA’s hardcore contingent is now well aware that Evans will not get his chance to square off with Quinton “Rampage” Jackson later this year. However, Evans will meet up with a standout light heavyweight when he takes on Thiago Silva at UFC 108 on Jan. 2.

Much like his April 2006 encounter with Tito Ortiz, Griffin went nip-and-tuck until the final bell with "The Huntington Beach Bad Boy." Once again, the fight ended in a split decision. This time, though, the cards favored Griffin, who got a much-needed victory and moved toward putting his loss to Anderson Silva behind him.

6. Gegard Mousasi (27-2-1)
Mousasi further showed a fighting maturity that belies his years as the 24-year-old coolly took apart Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou in their Nov. 7 meeting on CBS. The real question surrounding Mousasi has now become whether Strikeforce can find worthwhile challengers to his 205-pound title in a division largely owned by Zuffa.

7. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (18-3)
In his Octagon debut at UFC 108, Nogueira was absolutely dominant. "Minotoro" used his boxing to blow away Luis Arthur Cane inside of two minutes and establish himself as another elite competitor in the UFC 205-pound division.

8. Thiago Silva (14-1)
To continue ascending in the light heavyweight division, Silva will have to topple another Greg Jackson-trained standout. Having already felled Keith Jardine, Silva will now meet former UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans at UFC 108.

9. Luis Arthur Cane (10-2)
Cane stood on the cusp of potential UFC light heavyweight title contendership at UFC 106. That is, until Antonio Rogerio Nogueira laid waste to him in less than two minutes, sending "Banha" back into the general population at 205 pounds.

10. Rich Franklin (25-5)
On the brink of becoming a light heavyweight contender, Franklin was victimized by a first-round knockout from Vitor Belfort in the UFC 103 headliner. Though Belfort will now move to 185 pounds to campaign, the loss leaves Franklin without a clear direction in the UFC’s 205-pound division.

Other contenders: Keith Jardine, Vladimir Matyushenko, Renato Sobral, Wanderlei Silva, Chuck Liddell.

The biggest change from my last update is obviously Shogun Rua moving up to the 2nd spot, and you won't hear any bitching from my end of him being there, either. That's exactly where he belongs, as he proved in the Machida fight that he is indeed contention of, once again, being recognized as the greatest Light Heavyweight in the World.

Other than that, I think I would bump up Rashad Evans over Rampage, since 'Shad is scheduled to fight in the near future, where as Rampage's MMA future is in doubt. I would also move Mousasi and Lil' Nog past Forrest Griffin, because both have just looked tremendous in their last couple of fights, whereas Forrest is 1-2 in his last 3 fights, with that one win coming from a very controversial decision over a guy who quite frankly not only looked like shit, but was also coming off a 2 month lay-off. Lastly, I think I would bump Rich Franklin past Luis Cane, but that's no biggy.

I agree with the top two men. Machida is number won because he is the champ and Rua is number two because he is the uncrownded champ. I think Rampage should be moved down as should Rashad since this is somewhat of a business of what have you done for me lately. Rampage "retired" and Evans hasn't fought since he got his jaw knocked into the thrid row by Lyoto. I also don't think forrest should be fifth. Switch those three with Mousasi and Nogueira and then the order is correct, in my opinion. Mousasi and Nogueira have been much better then Rampage, Forrest, and Rashad. But it is really all just a toss up in the big picture. I don't think Jardine or Liddell should even be considered contenders at this point either. Both were knocked out badly in their last fights and one isn't even a fighter anymore.

Top two men are exactly right and should not change until the rematch. I disagree strongly with Rampage's spot. He may never fight again, and is not fighting Evans at the TUF finale so why even keep him on the list? I agree with JMT that Nog and Mousasi should be ahead of Forrest, and that Cane should be 10th. Other than that nothing should change.

JMT, where are you getting the rankings from? I don't think these are really all that great.

Right now, Rampage is out indefinitely due to his filming of the A-Team movie, and he's had a major falling out with Dana. Of course, there will be a point where the two patch things up, but right now, he's inactive, and doesn't deserve to be on any top 10 lists, let alone in the Top 3. Not to mention, I'm pretty sure Rashad would have beaten the shit out of Rampage if they actually did fight.

I think Mousasi has to be #3 overall. Yeah, he's not in the UFC, and therefore, he's not fighting the best of the best, but in all of the fights I've seen of his, he dominates. A 27-2-1 record is nothing to sneeze at, and I'm sure if he went to the UFC, he'd have little trouble with the competition except for Machida, Shogun, and possibly Rashad, who would definitely give him a run for his money.

The last time Griffin looked good was against Rampage. Since then, he looked awful against Rashad Evans, and he got embarrassed by Anderson Silva. Of course, there's no shame in losing to quite possibly the best in the world, but he looked absolutely silly. That fight against Tito... I still think you could have made a case for Tito taking the first round.

I'm not sure how Wanderlei and Chuck could be "other contenders" when Wanderlei has moved down to middleweight, and Chuck is also on an indefinite hiatus.

JMT, where are you getting the rankings from? I don't think these are really all that great.

Sherdog. And before someone talks shit about Sherdog, even ESPN list Sherdog as the "official" rankings of MMA fighters, so their rankings are more followed and respected than any others on the 'net.

But yes, Guy, I completely agree. A lot of these rankings are pure bullshit, and I think a lot of times there's some favoritism going on here. These reporters for Sherdog has to have their own agenda when it comes to certain fighters. They have to.

Nevertheless, they are the official rankings, and they're always fun to discuss and bitch about. I just haven't updated the list in the while because they don't change often enough to have a good conversation about it. But I'll make sure to update these things at least one every 3 months.

1. Lyoto Machida (16-0)
The rematch will happen a few months later than expected, but when Machida’s hand has fully healed, the UFC light heavyweight champion will take on fellow Brazilian Mauricio “Shogun” Rua on May 8 in Montreal in a rematch of their controversial October encounter.

2. Mauricio Rua (18-4)
Though Rua would undoubtedly have preferred to get his rematch with Lyoto Machida in January, “Shogun” will have his chance to right what many observers see as one of 2009’s most egregious wrongs at UFC 113 on May 8 in Montreal.

3. Quinton Jackson (30-7)
As expected, Jackson’s bite from the acting bug has healed, and he’s headed back to the fight game. “Rampage” will square off with Rashad Evans at UFC 114 on May 29, finally wrapping up the 10th season of “The Ultimate Fighter.”

4. Rashad Evans (14-1-1)
In the UFC 108 headliner, Evans did enough to outpoint Thiago Silva but underwhelmed onlookers. More will be expected come May 29, when he gets his date with rival Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 114.

5. Forrest Griffin (17-6)
Griffin got back on the horse in November, earning a well-deserved decision win over Tito Ortiz in a rematch of their April 2006 bout. However, the road will get tougher for the former light heavyweight king on May 29, when he takes on Antonio Rogerio Nogueira at UFC 114 in Las Vegas.

6. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (18-3)
“Minotoro” turned in one of the most impressive Octagon debuts in recent memory in November, blowing away heavy-hitting prospect Luis Arthur Cane in less than two minutes. Now in the stream of contenders, Nogueira can creep closer to the top of the division when he takes on Forrest Griffin at UFC 114 on May 29.

7. Muhammed Lawal (7-0)
Ever confident, “King Mo” showed open contempt for those who felt he was too inexperienced to take the Strikeforce light heavyweight title from Gegard Mousasi. On April 17, he validated his pre-fight talk, as he pounded on Mousasi for 25 minutes en route to capturing the title.

8. Gegard Mousasi (28-3-1)
With a 15-fight winning streak dating back three and a half years, Mousasi was expected to use his well-rounded skills and experience to best Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal on April 17. Instead, Mousasi spent the bout on his back and had his title taken by the upstart wrestling star.

9. Thiago Silva (14-2)
Silva carried a back injury into his Jan. 2 bout with former light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans, and it showed in an uninspired performance. Now healed and back in the gym, Silva eyes a summer return to the Octagon.

10. Luis Arthur Cane (10-2, 1 NC)
Cane was blown out in less than two minutes in November, when he met Antonio Rogerio Nogueira. His return to the Octagon will present another major challenge on the feet. Come UFC 114 on May 29, “Banha” will meet dangerous French striker Cyrille Diabate, who makes his UFC debut.

I still don't agree with Rampage being #3 overall in the rankings. He hasn't fought in over a year at this point, and that came in a fight vs. Keith Jardine that he almost lost. I'm a huge Rampage fan, but to rank him #3 right now? It's inexcusable. I mean, at least Rashad's been active in the last year. I'd put him #3 at least. If Mousasi had defeated King Mo like he should have, he'd still be #3 for me. Other than that, I have no real fault with the rest of the top ten, except for #10.

Luiz Cane, after getting blown out by Lil' Nog was exposed as someone who isn't ready yet. I'm not too impressed with his resume either. He's beaten a bunch of cans and lost to Lil' Nog.

Some of the guys that didn't make the cut here:

Ryan Bader, Jon Jones, Randy Couture... the three of them have more credibility in the Light Heavyweight Division right now than Cane.

Jon Jones should be sitting in Luiz Cane's spot or at least be the name that isn't on this list that should be. He has been on a tear in the UFC and dominating everyone. Luiz Cane on the other hand got his ass destroyed by Lil Nog and hasn't done anything since to rebound. Jones should be on, Cane should be off.

Rampage has been inactive for almost a year, no way he should be sitting at 3. This is even worse then AA at 9 on the Heavyweight list. Now, if he can beat Rashad then that would solidify him at 3, but until he does so he should be sitting at 3 or lower.

Rashad is the rightful 3 right now. Though as I said, his upcoming fight with Rampage will really solidify who gets that spot and the next shot at Machida. Overall the list is alright but not the best. Cane needs to be knocked off the list and Rampage needs to be dropped a spot or two. I can't decide if Griffin or Lil Nog deserves the 5 spot, actually. Both guys are worthy after their most recent performances.

I like the rankings here except switch Griffin and Lil Nog, Nog is on a 6 fight winning streak where as Griffin has lost 2 of 3. I would also take Cane out of the 10 spot and put in Jones there, tough call cause I think Bader can go there also. Jones still hasnt truly lost yet either, he just lost a little focus with the illegal elbows, he would've won that fight in the 2nd round have it not been stopped for the illegal bows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back