Let's Talk Football: Managers

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, I am bringing a new series to the Sports Stadium on a topic that I feel is very overlooked by anyone who is not myself or Lee and that is football. I mean real football, not handegg the pretender to the throne. No! I am talking about the beautiful game and who better to start the series off with than the masterminds behind the strategy and tactics that make the game what it is. Those who create complex plans to outwit the opposition and put their team head and shoulders above the others. This thread, the first of many, recognises those men and puts them in the spotlight as we discuss who the best football manager is in the world today.

Now, I hate football managers and it is because of the slightest things. It’s mainly because I feel that they have been spying on me playing Football Manager for the last decade and are just stealing all of my formations and players before they make it big. However, getting away from crazy conspiracy theories, I guess we should actually talk about some managers. As I say, I am not very fond of managers. I personally think that the line between football and management should be one that should be blurred as little as possible. Managers today act as the middle men between those two boundaries and sometimes it takes it’s toll. I personally believe that the term of “manager” should be abolished and they should be called henceforth by the title of “head coach”. It is the same job but makes me automatically think that they are out on the training pitch instead of an office.

That being said, different managers have different ideals. You look at people like Arsene Wenger, who barely buys a player. The man is tighter than a duck’s arse and yet he manages to do reasonably well on the playing surface. He can man-manage and has the respect of the people who play under him. Then you have people like Tony “The ********” Mowbray, who rarely got his shoes dirty and kept himself to himself, bothered about finances and not the performances on the pitch. It’s a line that is thinner than one in the bathrooms of my local club on a Saturday night and manager’s need to tread it.

Over the two decades that I have been alive, I have seen managers with different principals have varying levels of success and it is down to how they manage the club. Some try to do it with passion. Like current Celtic manager Neil Lennon. He attempts to rally the troops and get them motivated. Then you have someone like Carlo Ancelotti, who rarely shows any passion on the touchline or in the public eye. Yes, being a manager is all about doing it your way and sometimes it goes horribly wrong.

Now, it is not all doom and gloom for managers in the dog eat dog sport that is football. In fact, one miracle season and you could be looking at being called the best manager in a generation. See Jose Mourinho [citations needed]. Look at what he did with Porto. He beat Celtic in the Eufa cup final and then took them to the Champions League final the season afterwards. That is an incredible feat and the likes of it have not been seen since I learned to solve the Rubicks Cube. The fact of the matter is that Mourinho did more for one club than anyone ever though possible and now he has reached another European Cup final. It’s quite remarkable.

So, who is the best manager in the world? Is it Mourinho or Wenger? Is it Ancelloti or Gaurdiola? No! It’s not. The correct answer is actually Alex Ferguson*. Personally, I believe the man to be the second coming of Jesus when it comes to running a club. For two decades, he has been the man at Manchester United, the biggest club in the world and is still going strong. He looks as though he is taking them to another title this season, perhaps, and that is another reason to be admired. He has won every accomplishment there is to win and truly is the paradigm of what a good manager should be. He has learned to roll with the times and has never been left behind by the world of football. He is my pick, who is yours?

*This choice is purely personal and is not deemed to be officially correct. Although, we all know I am right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back