• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Let's Say You Can Change One Law... Change It

Calderownz

Brilliant Idiot
Simple enough. Pick a law that you disagree with and improve it or change it all together.

It can be a state or federal law. Whatever law is most on your mind in some sense.

I'm going with the abortion law in South Dakota. Not my state, but it's still a horrible law. Strictest in the country.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2011/0322/South-Dakota-anti-abortion-law-breaks-new-ground

That would pretty much tell you about the law.

I'm not against women talking about abortion before it actually takes place. However, I don't think it should be a scare tactic. It shouldn't be from the perspective of just trying to get the women out of it. It should just be talking if it's going to take place.

I would require the women to talk about the situation with a professional who was there to listen. If they decided against it, so be it. If they go for it, likewise. Either way, no one should be trying to convince her in one way or another.

Sure, give her the other options, such as adoption. But, there's no reason that you should be trying to get her to do anything she doesn't think she's willing to do.

Or... get rid of the law all together. It's her choice.

Go for it, guys.

this is a no brainer for me. Change the drinking age to 18. It is completely asinine that you can vote for the next President, be considered legally an adult, enlist, fight and die for your country, but you can't legally drink a damn beer. Refuckingdiculous.

I'd legalize Marijuana and have it taxed

With it legal in all states I assume obviously it would be packaged and sold the same way as cigars/cigarettes , and once they are doing that... well that + tax on it = win/win

this is a no brainer for me. Change the drinking age to 18. It is completely asinine that you can vote for the next President, be considered legally an adult, enlist, fight and die for your country, but you can't legally drink a damn beer. Refuckingdiculous

Seems like a great opportunity wasted if you did that as your 1 law change imo , people drink at 18 and earlier without reprecussions anyway

Only good that would do is letting people publicly order drinks 3 years sooner in their life , ehhhh not really a big deal? They could still buy whatever and get wasted at home or at friends

I would actually like to add a law if that is allowed? In some European countries (I am from America), I have heard that there are strict labor laws on how much an employee can be forced to work as well as how much vacation time is mandated. In the US, we have no laws like this and I would strongly be in favor of them, especially if they guaranteed a set amount of paid vacation anywhere near the amount of time that the people of France are guaranteed (5 weeks if I am not mistaken).

I would change the military join age to 24. That way the men and women who are sent to die for us can at least have some beers before their lives come to an end.

I would change the military join age to 24. That way the men and women who are sent to die for us can at least have some beers before their lives come to an end.

While your reasoning for raising the age to be illegible for joining the military may be a bit weird, you do have a solid point. I don't necessarily agree with raising the military join age because whatever country you live in, I'm sure your country needs all the help they can get. The join age in United States is 18 which is old enough for said person to be mentally capable of making their decisions. The age group of 18-24, make up an assload of the military's population so raising the joiin age that high would be a bit foolish.

Like someone stated above, instead of raising the join age of the military, lower the drinking age to 18. At age 18, you're already an adult. If you're old enough to enlist in the military, you're old enough to have a beer or two before you risk your life for your great country.

Legalize prostitution.

First and foremost, this is one of those things that is going to happen no matter what you do. In short, why not accept it? Instead of meeting some chick on a street corner in the middle of the night and knowing nothing at all about her, be able to go to a place where things are far more controlled. Instead of in the back of some car, it could be in something resembling a hotel with a comfortable atmosphere, security for both people involved and safety precautions. By that I mean the women or men that are setting up shop would have to have medical screenings as would the customers. It would give both parties a lot more peace of mind to know that after one time with someone they're not going to have HIV wouldn't you think? There's no real reason why someone shouldn't be able to enjoy the company of a man or woman if they want to and if the man or woman is willing to. Pretending like people don't pay for something sexual in nature in their lives is bogus, so why not let this happen? We can see photos of sex, video of sex, watch naked men and women from feet away, so why not allow actual sex for money if both are cool with it?

Legalize prostitution.

First and foremost, this is one of those things that is going to happen no matter what you do. In short, why not accept it? Instead of meeting some chick on a street corner in the middle of the night and knowing nothing at all about her, be able to go to a place where things are far more controlled. Instead of in the back of some car, it could be in something resembling a hotel with a comfortable atmosphere, security for both people involved and safety precautions. By that I mean the women or men that are setting up shop would have to have medical screenings as would the customers. It would give both parties a lot more peace of mind to know that after one time with someone they're not going to have HIV wouldn't you think? There's no real reason why someone shouldn't be able to enjoy the company of a man or woman if they want to and if the man or woman is willing to. Pretending like people don't pay for something sexual in nature in their lives is bogus, so why not let this happen? We can see photos of sex, video of sex, watch naked men and women from feet away, so why not allow actual sex for money if both are cool with it?

Took the words out of my keyboard, to be honest. If prostitution is legalized, further, it would go under government mandate, so to speak. That way there would be regulations around prostitution. The woman, in theory, would have to take regular, randomized STD and drug tests, which would serve to protect the male as well. If you fail the test, you lose your job. It would serve as motivation for these women to stay clean, and make for a moren comfortable environment. Plus it would, also in theory, provide health care for the prostitute so that she is able to sufficiently stay healthy. The government needs to stop pretending prostitution is something they can put a stop to, and realize that if done properly, it can be a healthy, enjoyable experience for those who decide to go that route for their pleasure, rather then putting those at risk who decide to engage in it. The safety and health of those involved would improve dramatically, and there would be a sense of accountability as well, as the women would not only have to take the random testing, but pay taxes as well on their income. Personally, it's an act Id never engage in, but I defy anyone to give me a reason as to why its legalization would be a bad thing.

Death Penalty In The UK

Simply put - if you kill someone, you don't deserve to live yourself. The punishment should fit the crime. An example I would give is Ian Huntley, he murdered two little girls, why does he deserve to live?

Choosing just 1 law is a toughie there is alot to choose from by the one I would choose is to make Assisted Suiced Legal I carn't see how it's fair to make person suffer with an illness for years and years because of some religous bullshit

If an animal is suffering and is dire pain you put it down to put it down and end it's pain but if I'm suffering and in dire pain I either have to fly to Switzerland if i'm well enough or sit it out and pray that every time I goto sleep I don't wake up

I choose The Defense of Marriage Act. In my point of view, section 3 especially, DOMA is unconstitutional under the United States Constitutional Amendment XIV which provides equal protection under the law for everyone. Section 3 of DOMA defines marriage as "between one man and one woman". Married couples get certain benefits from the federal government that gay couples (even state married ones) cannot get. If it were me, I'd burn the entire document. The federal government would have to recognize gay couples just like everyone else, and so would the states that don't allow gay marriage. If you don't want to marry them, fine. Let them go somewhere else. But don't deny that they are married once they do. Why should they be treated differently from every other married couple?

I would make Marijuana legal.

It has no business being illegal, we can make a profit from taxation and pay less tax dollars "rehabilitating" potheads, because there is no point. There is nothing wrong with it in the first place.

I'm willing to bet if it were legal, we'd save in the hundreds of millions of dollars, maybe more. It'd save police work, it'd save the jails some time processing...

Just a thought.

Seems to be a popular one, but ill still go with it. legalize weed. it cost us so much money to put these otherwise completely harmless people in prison, and it ties up the court rooms.

there are more people in prison for weed than ALL VIOLENT CRIME COMBINED. That is just fucking ******ed to me. id rather have one murderer, rapist, child molester, armed robber, etc, in jail than a hundred potheads. cops should focus on keeping us safe, not taking away the very thing that gave us pineapple express.

I'd skip all of the social issues and uncap yearly contributions to Roth IRAs and lower the minimum age requirement for withdrawals. For those who don't know what these are, Roth IRAs (IRA an acronym for individual retirement accounts) are investment vehicles for Americans who make under six figures a year (you're disqualified from opening a Roth IRA if you make over $122,000 a year). Unlike normal IRAs, individuals make contributions to Roth IRAs with their after-tax income. The benefit of doing this is that, once you reach retirement age, the money that you withdraw from your Roth IRA is non-taxable.

The reason for these changes is simple: Americans who want to work hard and live thrifty in the hopes of an early retirement of comfortable living shouldn't have limits places on how much of their income they want to invest. If someone nets $50K a year but wants to save half of that by living in a trailer park and on ramen noodles with no family, they should be able to do so without worrying about the tax implications of their decisions. Uncle Sam already dips his grubby hands into your income; he shouldn't be allowed to double-dip into the investments you made through sacrifice, especially if you aren't exactly living the high life (but want to in the future).

Being half-way serious, I would remove death and life-long prison sentences. Instead, the federal government would purchase 1,000 acres of land in Montana and build high, thick, and deep cement walls around the perimeter. This compound would have guard outposts armed with snipers, preventing both escape and break-in attempts. The convicts would be airdropped into the enclosure. If they want to become cannibals, so be it. If they want to organize and create a society, so be it. They would be provided resources to live off of and for basic shelter from the elements. It would get them away from society, save money on re-trials and legal fees and clear prison space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back