• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Let's Play GM: NL West

Rhonda Rousey's Sports Bra

Kinda Sorta Old School
Let's play GM, the purpose of this series of threads is to see if you can be a better GM than the pros. What we're going to do is take a look at each team in every division and try to make them better. For example if a team is a basement dweller try to set them up for the future, or if a team is in a pennent race try to make moves that put them over the top.

Rules are simple, one team per post to make it easier to reply to. Make sure your moves make sense, saying you're going to trade Juan Pierre for Albert Pujols straight up or you're going to sign the All-Star team when you have the payroll of the Marlins won't fly. Also you don't have to do each team in the division.

The next division we're going to do is the NL West. I've been having problems posting this thread so I'll leave out the links and pictures for now.

The teams: San Diego Padres, San Fransisco Giants, Los Angeles Dodgers, Arizona Diamondbacks, and the Colorado Rockies.

Pick one and start.

nl-west.jpg

I guess I'll start off this thread by taking the San Francisco Giants.

They are 4th in the NL West, despite only being 5 GB of the Padres, so they are still in the thick of it. First, let's look at what I believe is their strong suit, the starting rotation.

You first have Tim Lincecum, who is a two time reigning CY Young candidate, so I think it's pretty safe to say he's their number one. Matt Cain is the number two, and despite an under .500 win record, his ERA is good so it's the offense/bullpen that's not helping him out. He could probably be a Number one on over half of the teams in the MLB. Barry Zito is the number three and has put up some solid numbers with an ERA under 4, so it looks like he's finally gonna start living up to that big contract they gave him a few years ago. Jonathan Sanchez is the four and is having about as good of stats as you can have for a number 4 starter. Right now he's 7-6 and has a 3.15 ERA in 100 exact innings. Nothing else you could ask for. The Number five starter at the moment seems to be Madison Bumgarner now that Todd Wellemeyer is on the DL, and in 3 starts has a good looking ERA, so their rotation seems to be looking good for a playoff run, which is what will get you into the playoffs.

The Bullpen of the Giants is one of their strongest points, with 5 relievers having an ERA under 3 with 20+ apperances, which is quite impressive. Actually, aside from Jeremy Affeldt, every reliever that has at least 20 appearances has an ERA under 3.50, which is very impressive.

Now, onto the offense, which is, imo the weak point. You have Buster Posey now as your starting catcher since they traded Benji Molina to Texas, which I have no problem of, considering that he has 42 hits in only 35 games and will be one of the faces for the Giants in the future. Aubrey Huff is the clear big bat in the lineup, leading the team with 17 HR and 54 RBI's. Freddy Sanchez has missed almost 1/2 the season, but when healthy is a quality bat who is hitting almost .300 this season. At third you have the 'Kung Fu Panda' Pablo Sandoval who is having a down season from last year, but is another one of your players of the future and who I think will turn it around after the break. At SS is Juan Uribe and Edgar Renteria splitting time. Uribe's average is only .250, but he's second on the team with 12 HR's, so you have to keep him there b/c of his power. Renteria, on the otherhand, is a veteran leader and is getting split duties with Uribe, with him getting more appearances. In the OF Andres Torres is in Center and leads them off normally and is doing a decent job at it, batting .280 with 17 stolen bases.

Now it's where we get to the problems: the corner outfielders. Out of Aaron Rowand, Nate Schierholz, and Pat Burrell, none is batting over .260 with over 150+ AB's for each. Not only that, but none of them are lighting the world on fire with their power numbers. So that's what the Giants, imo need to adress. They could see if anyone could bite on one of them and throw in some prospects, as most sellers will want guys for the future. I think the best fit would be David DeJesus of the Kansas City Royals, who's on the market and I think would be a great fit. He can play all 3 OF positions, I believe, and is the Royals best hitter. Swap DeJesus for Schierholtz and a pitching prospect, which I think would be a great deal for both sides. Schierholtz has some potential and will get to play everyday in KC, while DeJesus would go to a playoff contender and the Royals would get something out of it. In the other OF spot you'd have to split Burrell and Rowand, since no seller would be taking those contracts and Schierholtz is getting less then 500K.

I'll start with the Dodgers, and it may come as a suprise but I'm only going to make one big move. I'm going to trade Manny, he doesn't want to resign with them and you have to get something for him. The Dodgers aren't going to win the division this year and to get Manny off the books and get a prospect in return is the only way to go the way I see it. The New York Mets or the Atlanta Braves would be buyers in their race for the NL East, I'd probably only ask for prospects but the agian the Dodgers aren't too far out in terms of being in contention so I might go for an outfielder and a prospect.

Another place I need to look is for a new Manager, Joe Torre should be retiring soon so I need to have a guy lined up, and that guy I want is Jose Oquendo. He's the 3rd Base Coach for the St. Louis Cardinals right now but I'm sure he would come manage my team since he's been looking to manage for some time now. Oquendo would be a great replacement for Torre when he retires.

Atlanta would be stupid going after Manny Ramirez. They're built for the future and acquiring him would defeat the purpose of starting over and starting young. You don't trade top prospects for a 40 year old outfielder who will retire in a year or so. The Braves are built for a long run. Don't kill that.

Arizona on the other hand needs to start over. I was going to go the Webb route but I now know he is able to go in to free agency after the 2010 season. So now I am gonna go the Dan Haren route. 12.5 million for a pitcher with a 4.5 era is absurd. He's barely pitching .500 baseball so he needs to gtfo. Do whatever it takes to trade him. Even if it means getting something small in return. That frees up money you can spend elsewhere. Either by signing free agents or coughing up more for drafted players. Arizona needs to unload and retool and there's no way around that. They don't have the money to spend 150 million. So they need to start from the farm system up. That's there only way to rebuild and compete in my eyes.

Atlanta would be stupid going after Manny Ramirez. They're built for the future and acquiring him would defeat the purpose of starting over and starting young. You don't trade top prospects for a 40 year old outfielder who will retire in a year or so. The Braves are built for a long run. Don't kill that.

I suggested they get Man Ram for a run this season, they're in contention and with this being Bobby Cox's last year and probably Chipper's last year they should go for it. I'm not suggesting a fire sale, but if they could get him for a reasonable price I think they should go for it.

San Diego Padres are the next team I'll do, they are in first place in the division and have great pitching. The need I should address would be a bat to protect Adrian Gonzalez. Adam Dunn is a possibility here but the positions he could play are all taken by more important players to the team. Hairston, Venable, and Gwynn take up the outfield and with it being a pitchers park you can't have a liability like Dunn out there, and 1st is taken by A-Goz so there wouldn't be a point in that move either. The most likely senario is to just stand pat and hope my outfield starts producing more. A good possibility would be to sign free agent Jermaine Dye and have him platoon in the outfield and pinch hit.

I'll start with the Dodgers, and it may come as a suprise but I'm only going to make one big move. I'm going to trade Manny, he doesn't want to resign with them and you have to get something for him. The Dodgers aren't going to win the division this year and to get Manny off the books and get a prospect in return is the only way to go the way I see it. The New York Mets or the Atlanta Braves would be buyers in their race for the NL East, I'd probably only ask for prospects but the agian the Dodgers aren't too far out in terms of being in contention so I might go for an outfielder and a prospect.
I agree with them trading Manny, but you must realize that it would be only for prospects, given the serious ownership problems they are going through. Also, I can't see any team picking him up to play Left Field, because he just can't do it anymore (and hit well). Interleague play proved that, because he was hitting better as a DH, and when he had to miss a few days, he came back and hit better. Also, the Mets have an abundance of outfielders in Bay, Francouer, Pagan (who has been very good all year), and Beltran (who is coming back soon).

Another place I need to look is for a new Manager, Joe Torre should be retiring soon so I need to have a guy lined up, and that guy I want is Jose Oquendo. He's the 3rd Base Coach for the St. Louis Cardinals right now but I'm sure he would come manage my team since he's been looking to manage for some time now. Oquendo would be a great replacement for Torre when he retires.
You are right, in that this may be Joe Torre's last year. However, the Dodgers already have what would be a Manager in Waiting, in Don Mattingly. They have been grooming him for the job, and while nothing has been official, he has been led to believe that he will be the next manager (which is why he hasn't really shown interest in the current openings in Florida and Baltimore).

Here is what I would do with the Dodgers. Other then moving them back to Brooklyn...

First, given their ownership cutting payroll because of impending Divorce, I (as previously stated) try and trade Manny Ramirez, and get 1 near Major League ready prospect for him. I see it unlikely that anyone would give more then 1 prospect for a rental that would cost them a lot of money, so I'll take just one.

Second, I try and trade one of the relatively younger position players on the team, either Russell Martin or Matt Kemp, in a deal for a bunch of prospects. Both players are young, but even though they are under the teams control for relatively little money, trading one of them should be able to land them a bunch of prospects (1 of which is almost Major League ready).

Third, in the offseason, I (as much as it pains me to say it, as a Yankee fan) do not offer Joe Torre a new contract, unless he is willing to take a ridiculous pay cut (which is isn't willing to do), and I hire Don Mattingly (the unofficial Manager in Waiting) for about 1/5 of what Torre is making. This move frees up some more money, which is what the Dodgers are trying to do right now because of the Divorce.

All of my moves I made are about the future, because, even though the Dodgers are relatively close to the race, it is unlikely they will be able to add anything because of the owners divorce. Since they aren't going to add, they have only 2 options, stay where they are, or subtract and get prospects. I opted for subtracting, because even if they make the playoffs (not likely), this team is not one that will win a championship. Maybe by getting younger, they will be back to contending in a few years, when ownership issues are straightened out, and their financial woes are history.

The San Diego Padres are the biggest surprise in baseball. Before the season started I picked them for dead last. As in dead last in all of baseball. Here we are about to enter the all star break and they sit on top of the NL West. It’s pretty amazing they’ve stayed on top this long into the season, but there is a long way to go. I look at the lineup and wonder how they’re winning. Other than Adrian Gonzalez no one is standing out. It’s easy to say they should go get Carl Crawford or Jayson Werth as they have expiring contracts. That’s easier said than done especially with Tampa and Philadelphia contending. The fact is a lot of teams are going to looking to make moves and it’s going to be rare to see a major superstar traded. As of yesterday we already have one moved so don’t expect too many more household names to change addresses. A team can still improve by getting a good player who is not such a big name. I think the Padres should target David DeJesus. There have been a lot of Royals players who have been rumored to be on the trading block. I think DeJesus is a good fit in San Diego. The highest batting average in their outfield is .238. DeJesus is hitting .328 right now and the Padres could really use someone to get on base consistently in front of Gonzalez. Right now they’re winning with their pitching, but with the Dodgers and Rockies breathing down their necks the Padres are going to need to start scoring some more runs. Despite their great first half ultimately I see the Padres finishing in third, maybe even fourth, in the division. Still you have to like your chances when you’re sitting in first place during the break. The Padres better do something to keep the Dodgers and Rockies at bay.

EDIT: I posted mine before I read any other responses. Papa Grande already managed DeJesus for the Giants. We're thinking alike. We just mentioned different teams who need to address the same problem.

I think the Los Angels Dodgers have a pretty good looking team. Andre Ethier is having a breakout season. Matt Kemp has had some problems with management, but if he can work through that he look like he can be a superstar. Russell Martin doesn’t look like he’s going to be the stud a lot of people thought he could be, but he is still an above average producer at the catcher position. Because he doesn’t hit 30 home runs as a first baseman James Loney is one of the more underrated guys in baseball. He is a solid contributor. Rafael Furcal is still going strong at shortstop. Chad Billingsley is the ace right now, but I think Clayton Kershaw is going to take over that role before long. Both are talented pitchers and if they can get better control of their pitch counts they could be a formidable one two punch for the Dodgers for years to come. They’ve also got an absolute stud closer in Jonathan Broxton. All this and I haven’t mentioned Manny Ramirez.

I might be inclined to try to trade Manny, but it’s hard to pull the trigger on that while contending for a division title. Despite their first half success I don’t think the Padres are for real and I expect the Dodgers to overtake them in the standings (the real race will be with the Rockies). I think with the race as close as it is I’d have to keep Manny. If someone came to my door and offered a top major league ready prospect I’d probably take it. It would be a shame to just let Manny walk without getting anything in return. I don’t think I’d be aggressively shopping him though. I think I’d be content with the team I had and be confident that Joe Torres could lead them to the playoffs again.

Ever since Barry Bonds retired the Giants have been a struggling team when it comes to offense. There’s a big name superstar rumored to be on the trading block that can start sending balls into McCovey Cove again. That man is Prince Fielder. The Brewers would like to reach a deal with Fielder, but if they can’t they’d like to trade him this year even though he still has another year left on his contract. This makes him more valuable to a potential buyer. I don’t know the farm system very well, but I think the Giants have a good one. Fielder would be a huge lift to the Giants offensive woes. Aubrey Huff could move to the outfield and we already know about the great pitching staff. If Posey could live up to what he’s supposed to be and Sandoval could shake the sophomore slump the future could be bright by the bay.

I would also try to sign Matt Cain long term. He is one of the best pitchers that flies under the radar because the Giants lack of run support always gives him a mediocre record.

I suggested they get Man Ram for a run this season, they're in contention and with this being Bobby Cox's last year and probably Chipper's last year they should go for it. I'm not suggesting a fire sale, but if they could get him for a reasonable price I think they should go for it.

That's not the Bobby Cox way. He would not go in there and destroy the Braves future for one last run. It just isn't going happen. Doesn't matter if its Chippers last year or not. And honestly, the asking price for a hitter like Manny would be extremely high and his contract is still outrageous. They would need to send cash for anyone to take or want him. Atlanta has a great future. They got a great farm system and they're built for a run like they had years ago with Smoltz, Glavine, and Maddux. They'd be stupid to get rid of prosepcts.

Aaron Rowand and Barry Zito. Those are the guys that can describe the problems GM Sabian has had with signing guys. Rowand got a 5 year $60 million deal (still has 2 years and $24 million left) and Zito got that huge 7 year $126 million deal (still has 4 years and $75 milllion left). While Zito has pitched better than he has in his first 3 years as a Giant, its nowhere near worth that much money. And Rowand has been on the decline for years now and is really hurting the Giants. Sabean recently has shown that he has no knack for signing hitters.

Of course though, his signing Huff was a good move. And he has one of the best eyes when it comes to pitching talent. And I believe that's what the Giants need to use to make a move to get a bat like Fielder. While the pitching staff has underperformed in the first half, they still are one of the betters staffs in MLB. And with the addition of Bumgardner, they got better. So I can see the Giants trading some pitchers to try to bolster this offense. The question is who?

I love Cain and think he is overlooked by many because of his record. But those that follow closely know that when he comes on the mound, the Giants offense sputters. Badly. His lack of run supports really causes a lot of the record you see. But most baseball recognize that he is a great pitcher who is still young and will eat up innings for you. As much as I would hate for him to leave, he might be one of the biggest trading chips the Giants have. His or maybe trading Sanchez.

Whoever the Giants feel they can part ways with in order to bring in a bat is the guy they need to trade. They are only 4 games out of the Padres for first, and by adding a bat to a lineup desperate for a big hitter, to go along with this pitching staff, may be all the Giants need to get over and win the division.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back