• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Let's Play GM: NL Central

Rhonda Rousey's Sports Bra

Kinda Sorta Old School
Let's play GM, the purpose of this series of threads is to see if you can be a better GM than the pros. What we're going to do is take a look at each team in every division and try to make them better. For example if a team is a basement dweller try to set them up for the future, or if a team is in a pennent race try to make moves that put them over the top.

Rules are simple, one team per post to make it easier to reply to. Make sure your moves make sense, saying you're going to trade Juan Pierre for Albert Pujols straight up or you're going to sign the All-Star team when you have the payroll of the Marlins won't fly. Also you don't have to do each team in the division.

The next division we're going to do is the NL Central. I've been having problems posting this thread so I'll leave out the links and pictures for now.

The teams: St. Louis Cardinals, Chicago Cubs, Cincinnatti Reds, Pittsburgh Pirates, Houston Astros, and the Milwaukee Brewers.

Pick one and start.

I will choose the Houston Astros the worst team in the division to begin off the thread.

Houston will definitely be an interesting team come July 31st as they have a lot of interesting pieces up to be traded.

They have Roy Oswalt and Lance Berkman two veterans who can really help a team come October time. As Houston continues to struggle, they are definitely ready to begin the rebuilding process and they can trade Oswalt to a team like the Mets or the Yankees or the Red Sox and get a couple of prospects for him.

Berkman is in the same situation as Roy Oswalt as he is a veteran that is near the end of the line and he deserves to get a shot at a ring and be traded to a contender. I could see him being a traded to a team like the Giants and they can move Aubrey Huff to the outfield, and they would have a legit offense with Posey Huff and Berkman.

Houston really just needs to rebuild at this point. They have some pieces that people would like in Roy Oswalt, Carlos Lee, and Lance Berkman. I'd probably trade at least two of the three at the deadline to get some younger players and prospects. They have a couple solid, fairly young outfielders already in Michael Bourn and Hunter Pence so the positions they need to focus on getting the most are infield and starting pitchers. The Astros are a few years away from really competing and the rebuilding process needs to start now.

I guess I'll start with my team.

The St. Louis Cardinals are in a pennant race right now and reall have most the pieces in place to win, those pieces just aren't producing. The most glaring hole is our closer Ryan Franklin. Franklin was an All Star last season but he fell off last season after the break and hasn't been unhittable like he was prior to the break. Now we have ourselves a potential closer in Jason Motte and also in Kyle McClellan. Franklin is 37 and is close to retirement, so I might just keep him this season but maybe move him to the set up man, even though that's Dave Duncan and Tony LaRussa's call I'm saying it.

The starting rotation is pretty good but hurt so I would try to pick up another starter to help carry the load til everyone is healthy. Pedro Martinez is out there as is John Smoltz, I don't know if either would sign but it would be worth a shot. Another option that I would look at would be Carlos Zambrano, I don't like him and he has been horrible but maybe with a change of scenery and tbeing under the toolage of Dave Duncan he can find his stuff again and learn some control. I don't know if the Cubbies would be willing to part ways with him just yet but there's always a possibility he wore out his welcome.

I might do something with Ryan Ludwick if the race wasn't so tight but it is so he might have to stay. Mark DeRosa is someone I'd go after and actually try to sign to a deal for the future, his play last season helped greatly and the talk around the clubhouse is that he was a great team mate and is really missed this year.

The last thing I try to do is sign Albert Pujols to a multi year deal. Make sure he is a Cardinal for life.

I'd like to point out that Smoltz is retired Blue, and is broadcasting like 45 of the Atlanta Braves games on TV, so the Cardinals getting him is out of the question. And if they got a guy like Zambrano it would just be a pure cancer to his team. It's not like a few weeks ago was his first blowup on the team, either. He's been a repeat offender and the Cardinals shouldn't touch him with a 100 foot pole. Not to mention he has that fat contract, and he hasn't pitched all that well in a while. So Carlos should never be an option. Pedro really has just been in talks with the Phillies about returning so that pretty much rules out all of your pitching options. They probably should just go cheap and try to get someone like Jeremy Guthrie of the Orioles who has pretty good stuff, even though his record and ERA doesn't really show it. He's been the number one of the Orioles for a few years now and a switch of leagues and moving back to the rotation to a 4-5 would be perfect for him.

EDIT: I'll do the Brewers later when I figure stuff out, just had to say that.

I decided to become the GM of the Astros. Unfortunately for them, they have been the Ass-tros, they suck so much.

The very first thing I do is trade Roy Oswalt. Oswalt still has some value, and you should be able to get 1 good prospect (and 1 pretty good prospect) without paying any salary, because he's under control for another couple years. If Denny McClain would be willing to pay some of his salary, then I'd gladly offer that to get another good prospect. There are a lot of teams interested in pitching, and I would jump at the opportunity to get out from under that contract.

The second thing I would do is trade Carlos Lee or Lance Berkman. I would prefer to trade Lee because he is making more money, and isn't a homegrown player like Berkman. However, Lee has a big contract through the 2012 season, making him harder to trade. Berkman's got a $2 Million buyout for next year (or $15 Million contract), making him easier to trade.

If I could get a couple prospects for either one, then all is well. Both players, if available, would become 2 of the top hitters on the market this trading deadline, and that might make my be able to get more then they are worth. If I could trade Lee, I would rather do that, because then I can buyout Berkman, and offer him arbitration (which he would likely refuse), so I can get 2 draft picks for him. I could try and trade both players, but the fans might revolt if all the big-name players are gone. Berkman would be better suited to leave in Free Agency, and the organization won't take the PR hit.

Another option, contradictory to my NL West GM Dodger thread, would be (if the Dodgers are willing to take the contract) to try and trade Lee for Manny Ramirez. The main reason I would do this is because Manny is an impending Free Agent, and is definitely leaving to be a DH in the American League. If they could get the 2 draft picks for him (and get out from a big contract), it would help the Astros rebuild quicker.

All of my moves don't help the Astros this year (other then helping them improve their draft pick), but the moves do help them rebuild towards competing in the future.

I would take over the Chicago Cubs, and try to get them out of their current troubles. First off, I would trade Aramis Ramirez for a prospect, because he's not really providing much for me even though he's heating up right now. Fukodome would be the next to go, he's been BAD and somebody would trade for him... I'd probably just take a role player whose contract is small and will be up at the end of the year for Fukodome. Then I would try to address my biggest problem Carlos Zambrano, I don't think anybody would give me a good offer but I would go to a team like the Royals and see if they'd be willing to work something out... Especially since they're in need of a pitching boost. I'd probably just try to cut my losses when it comes to Zambrano and take an expiring contract. Jesus, writing this just made me realize how fucked up the Cubs are.

PITTSBURGH PIRATES

That's right folks I'm taking over the team that hasn't had a winning record in almost 20 years. Now this isn't going to be an easy task, as the Pirates haven't been good, but they have a nice young crop of talent and that could help here. First off lets ship Octavio Dotel. He hasn't been spectacular this year, but come the stretch run a contender is always looking for a bullpen arm and they can probably can Dotel cheap. This also sets up for Evan Meeks to take over full time as the closer. A team like the Phillies, Cardinals, Rays, Twins, etc.. could be looking for that arm to help assure their bullpens. Maybe get one or two midlevel prospects in return.

Another guy that could be had is Ryan Doumit. A contender in need of a bat off the bench or occasional starter at catcher, first, or right field could definitely come and get Doumit. Again grab some solid prospects in return to help out the team in the future. This then sets up a callup for Tony Sanchez either next season or for the rest of this. Not sure if he is ready, but a September callup could be in the works.

Next up, just like bullpen arms starters are always needed by teams. And with Duke on the DL (not sure when he'll return), but Maholm could be had as well. And just like the Doumit and Dotel trade get some decent prospect in return. With a spot in the rotation up for grabs the Pirates could call up Tim Anderson or Jeff Locke to take the last spot if they are ready, if not look for another prospect or a long reliever from the pen.

So after the trades my starting roster would look like this:

C-Jason Jaramillo
1B-Garrett Jones
2B-Neil Walker
3B-Pedro Alvarez
SS-Ronny Cedeno
LF-Jose Tabata
CF-Andrew McCutchen
RF-Lastings Milledge

SP-Zach Duke
SP-Ross Ohlendorf
SP-Jeff Karstens
SP-Brad Lincoln
SP-Tim Anderson/Jeff Locke

Now obviously this won't put the Buckos in the playoffs, but it gets them off on the right foot for next year. And now with moves in the offeseason like dumping Crosby (if you can't at the deadline) and maybe even Milledge (to make room for Gorkys Hernandez) and the Pirates could start moving towards moving up the ranks and get them out of the dwellar. If they build off their youth and hang onto some of the quality vets they have maybe, just maybe the team will put it all together.

Sorry you got this all wrong. No one wants Dotel and no one wants his contract. Its in the high fours. Also Doumit is a lost cause. Can't call a game. Got no arm. can't field. He should have been traded in 2008 when he was at his peak. Also Duke should have been traded last year. Or the year before. Now he's a lost cause. The Pirates really have no trade assets but they have a solid farm team. They got Hernandez Morris, and Sanchez. Plus Walker, Tabata, Alvarez and McCutchen are all young. Too be honest they aren't far away. They just need to sign Taillon and that Stetson fella. Then they got something. Also you don't trade Milledge to make room for Hernandez. Milledge is better.

Anyways, Alderson and Locke are nowhere near ready and Sanchez will be in the minors for a while. The Pirates don't need much. Maybe another arm. But trading for one would be stupid. So I think drafting Is the best thing to do.

Theo, you have the right idea. But you're going at it the wrong way. They have no assets that can be had. They just need to draft better because there minor league system is improving but there are a lot of holes. Like SS and Pen help.

The Milwaukee Brewers recently gave Ryan Braun a long term contract, but it seems that they are not going to be able to keep their other star Prince Fielder. Fielder still has another year on his contract after this one and it’s rumored that he may be on the trading block already so the Brewers can get maximum value in return. The Phillies may have set a costly precedent with the money they gave Ryan Howard so Prince may have to go to team that’s not shy with the checkbook. The Texas Rangers typically haven’t been afraid to spend money and with the departure of Justin Smoak Prince would be a good fit in Arlington. I assume the Rangers are going to at least try to resign Cliff Lee after this season so I don’t know what kind of money will be left for Prince, but considering he won’t be a free agent until after 2011 Prince might appeal to the Rangers. That extra year could be the key for the Brewers getting the most value back for Prince.

The Brewers had a nice resurgence late in the 00’s, but they’re falling again. They have some pieces in place. Braun is one of the top outfielders in the game and Gallardo looks like a stud pitcher. Trading Fielder now could help to put some more pieces in place for the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back