• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Let's Play GM: AL West

Rhonda Rousey's Sports Bra

Kinda Sorta Old School
Let's play GM, the purpose of this series of threads is to see if you can be a better GM than the pros. What we're going to do is take a look at each team in every division and try to make them better. For example if a team is a basement dweller try to set them up for the future, or if a team is in a pennent race try to make moves that put them over the top.

Rules are simple, one team per post to make it easier to reply to. Make sure your moves make sense, saying you're going to trade Juan Pierre for Albert Pujols straight up or you're going to sign the All-Star team when you have the payroll of the Marlins won't fly. Also you don't have to do each team in the division.

The first division we're going to do is the AL West. I've been having problems posting this thread so I'll leave out the links and pictures for now.

The teams: Texas Rangers, LA Angels, Oakland Athletics, and the Seattle Mariners.

Pick one and start.

AL_West.JPG

I guess I'll start with a look at the first place Texas Rangers.

On the offensive side, they really dont need help. Vlad is having a Comeback Player of the Year type of year, Josh Hamilton is on fire right now, and Michael Young, Ian Kinsler, and Nelson Cruz are following suit. It certainly helps that they play Texas as well. The area that they need to improve in and have needed to improve on for several years now is pitching. But then again, who doesnt need pitching?

The Rangers have always had pitching problems. But now with Nolan Ryan as president, he has done something with the pitching coach and the pitchers. Even though they are in first place, there are still glaring problems, mostly with starting pitching. They have no ace first of all. I would put together some sort of package to try and acquire Cliff Lee from Seattle. This guy was magic for the Phillies last year and could do the same for Texas this year. I would offer a 2 top 15 prospects (a top 10 pitcher and a position player), and maybe a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick. The Rangers are pretty deep in the farm system and I dont think it would too much of a strain to send two away for a great pitcher. Of course, then I would push hard to get Lee signed during the offseason or even give him an extension after the trade. After that, I would look for a 5th starter, one that would come at a low price. Maybe even take a look at Pedro Martinez who may be looking to sign for a half year again.

With Lee, the Rangers become a very formidable threat come October.

I will start this off by taking over the Seattle Mariners, one of the most interesting teams heading into the trade deadline.

Cliff Lee is a man who must be traded from this team as it is time to head onto the future. Personally, I would trade him to Tampa as they have more to offer then a Minnesota type team does.

I would trade him for a B.J. Upton, Matt Garza, and one or two prospects. I believe Tampa is willing to give up Garza, and they are definitely willing to unload on Upton, and this would put Tampa right back in the pennant race.

Next I would trade Jose Lopez, who is having a fantastic season for the Mariners, and they should trade him while his stock is high.

Perhaps sending them to a team in dire need of a bat like the San Francisco. Lopez's versatility helps the Giants out a lot as he can play nearly all infield positions I believe, and I am sure they are willing to give up a few prospects for a Jose Lopez bat, so they can get in contention, as they did last year in attempting to get Freddy Sanchez.

Those are the first options I can think of the Mariners doing to improve their team for the future, as they are definitely in a rebuilding stage at this time.

The Texas Rangers are in first place and have a chance of making the playoffs for the first time since 1999. You can never count out the Angels and Texas shouldn’t assume they can coast into the postseason. The Rangers have always had the big bats. Pitching has been the problem in Arlington. The pitching has improved with Nolan Ryan’s involvement with the team, but there are still plenty of question marks. There is some good young talent and Nolan is a great role model, but these youngsters need a teammate to look up to. The Rangers don’t have to look far to find their solution. In fact they don’t need to look beyond their own state. Roy Oswalt would be a perfect fit for the Texas Rangers. He is an ace pitcher that the young Texas staff can look up to. Oswalt has said he wants to be traded. His lack of run support is the main reason why. Moving just a couple hours north would take care of that. I don’t know much about the farm systems, but from what I’ve heard the Rangers are fairly deep while the Astros have one of the worst. This seems too logical for a deal not to be done. After the complete game shutout today I would be looking to get Oswalt in a Rangers uniform asap if I was in charge.

I know this sounds crazy and goes against everything we know about baseball, but if I’m the Mariners I would try to resign Cliff Lee. What? A last place team with an expiring contract is supposed to try to cash in on some prospects right? Why? Not everything has to be about this year. I really don’t know why the Mariners are in last place. A lot of people expected them to win the division. Chone Figgins and Jose Lopez are underperforming. We know they are both capable of better. I don’t think he’ll be a superstar, but I think Franklin Gutierrez’s best days are ahead of him. Let’s not forget Ichiro and King Felix. Any team that has Cliff Lee as their number two starter should be able to compete.

The thing is the AL West is a winnable division. The Angels appear to be in decline and the Rangers, while talented, are catchable. Obviously I’m not thinking this year, but I think the Mariners could compete next year. This team has had some drastic swings in recent years. No one really thought much of them in 2007 and they nearly won the wild card. In 2008 they brought in Bedard and people thought they had a shot at the divison. They lost 101 games. So again no one thought much of them in 2009, but they finished eight games above .500. It only got them third in the division, but it was a major improvement. Then they bring in Lee and Figgins and everyone thinks they’ll win the division. So while they’re on their way to nearly 100 losses again I wouldn’t count them out for next year.

I think signing Cliff Lee would send a strong message to the fans not to abandon ship. Seattle lost their Sonics recently. The fans need their Mariners. Some of the guys on the team are underperforming, but the talent is there. I might have a different opinion if they were in the AL East. The west is a different story and I think in 2011 Cliff Lee can tell us the story of how the west was won. One thing the Mariners have been missing in recent years is the big thunder in the middle of the lineup. Paging Adam Dunn. I think Dunn would be a great fit in the middle of the Mariners lineup. He could be the key in taking the Mariners from worst to first next year. They don’t need to trade for him this year, but he could be a great signing for next year if the payroll allows it.

There is one huge x factor here. If the Mariners are going to resign Lee (I realize they won’t) they need to do it before the trade deadline. They can’t let the deadline pass and have Lee walk for nothing in return during the offseason. The Mariners can contend. They just need to believe it themselves and convince Lee of it soon.

Before anyone criticizes this post keep in mind I don’t think this is what will happen. The topic is asking what I would do as GM. While I realize Lee is as good as gone I would at least try to resign him if I were in charge.

This may sound a little boring, but if I were the Angels I think I would stand pat. They’ve been the kings of the west for sometime now and they’re the champs until someone beats them. That may sound foolish considering they are 5 games behind the Rangers right now. The fact is in recent years the Angels are winners and the Rangers are not. John Lackey and Chone Figgins were tough losses and Kendry Morales was just brutal, but there is still some talent on this team. Bobby Abreu is struggling right now, but he is a model of consistency and will step up. Hideki Matsui is past his prime, but he knows how to win. Jered Weaver is having a breakout year and has done a great job filling Lackey’s shoes. The x factor could be Mike Scioscia. He has been one of the best managers in baseball over the last ten years and always finds a way to get the most out of his players.

I know this isn’t the popular philosophy, but it’s not the end of the world if the Angels don’t make the playoffs this year. They have had their share of success recently winning five division titles over the last six years. Of course winning is always the goal and by no means I’m I suggesting they should concede the season. It’s just despite being behind I feel they are talented enough to contend as is. There is no need to push the panic button and sacrifice their future to try to get in the playoffs this year, especially considering their recent success. If I won five division titles in the last six years I would take my chances with what I have rather than dealing away my prospects, especially when you know you’re getting better next year with the return of Morales. If I could get a rental like Lyle Overbay for a cheap price I would go for it, but I wouldn’t give up too much.

I'll start with my other team, the Oakland Athletics.

If I was their GM I look at the line up first, really this team is only a few games under .500 right now but they have a very weak line up. I'd try to add some power at the DH or 1st base since they have no one with more than 10 HRs. There aren't many big bats out there right now but Adam Dunn could be a possibility, he plays for the Nats who are a young team that won't win anything anytime soon. Daric Barton is our young 1st baseman so I guess we can keep him there and just put Dunn at the DH. To get Adam I'd give them a young pitcher in the farm system, there are a few good prospects in there.

The next move I go out and make would be for an outfielder, maybe a sacrafice a bit of speed for more power. Jason Werth of the Phillies might get traded if the Phils don't step up so that's a possibility. Again a young prospect would do fine, the hard part of this deal is signing him after the deal to hold onto him for another few years. Carlos Lee is another option although he'd be better served as a DH. the Astros aren't a contender and could be swayed to drop him. Oakland has a decently deep farm system so this could be another prospect trade.

Those are just a few moves that could be made. Now with Oakland being such a young team I might just let it play out and maybe get rid of Eric Chavez, I doubt I could get anything for him though, but it would be one less player to pay.

Texas Rangers are the next team on my list, and this one is very very easy.

The offense is stellar, the defense is above average, and the pitching(with the addition of Cliff Lee) is above above average. So if I'm the Gm of the Texas Rangers I stay put with the team I have, they're winning the division and with the Cliff Lee addition they will most likely stay there and go a few rounds into the playoffs.

The only place I would look to add to thid team is the bullpen. I can't think of anny good bullpen prospects off the top of my head but there are always some out there and with the farm system the Rangers have I'm sure I could make a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back