Let’s Talk Football: Goalkeepers

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, ladies and gents, it is time for another instalment of the most underrated and underutilizes series on the entirety of the boards. In the last thread, we talked about the importance of a manager and now we begin the process of trawling through the endless faeces that is the world’s goalkeepers. You see, as a child, I was heralded as a good goalkeeper. I played with my local team and then was signed for Motherwell. A year or so after that, I broke my hip playing football and decided from then on to be an overly critical member of the public that is bitter towards the game that took my future away from me. Whilst that may be complete and utter lies, I still think that, in the game today, we have some really awful goalkeepers and those are the men that are supposed to be saving teams from relegation or saving them points ever season? I just don’t get it. Forget about me playing instead, I could prop my Nan in goals and she would play better than half of the keepers out there.

However, this is not a thread to tarnish the ever-lasting legacy of some of the most horrible goalkeepers in the existence of man (See Lukasz Fabianski for further details). No, it is quite the opposite in fact. This thread is to discuss who the best goalkeeper on the planet is. Right know, there is a few contenders in my expert eyes and I cannot help but let my mind wonder back to when you were spoiled for choice for a great goalkeeper. You know, when Buffon was playing to his best and Peter Schmeichel was the best goalkeeper on the planet. Those days though, regrettably, are long gone. Instead, a new mould of goalkeepers has appeared and it is much harder to choose the best goalkeeper in the world. Mainly because they are all absolute shit, with a few being the exception that proves the rule.

The greatest clubs in the world are those with the best defence and no one person on a pitch epitomises defence more than a goalkeeper. Yes, even a defender. In yesteryear, you were able to look at the best teams in the world and spot the world-class goalkeepers but no more. Look at Manchester United for an example of this. After Peter Schmeichel left them, they have struggled to fill the void and Van Der Sar is far from his level. Look at Arsenal for another example of it. After David Seaman left the club, they have struggled with Lehmann, Almunia and Fabianski… Poor Arsenal.

That being said, there is still a few good goalkeepers out there. Iker Casillas is probably the best example. For over a decade, I think, he has been wearing the number one shirt for Real Madrid and is just an impeccable goalkeeper. People like Gordon Banks have acclaimed him to be one of the best goalkeepers in the history of football and who could blame him? Casillas is the paradigm of what a goalkeeper should be. He is relaxed and collected at all times and never makes a fool of himself. He has been with one of the biggest and most successful clubs in the world and has never been displaced by another. He has remained on top of his game for Real Madrid and is still only 29. He could go another 10 years, in all truth. If he did and plays to the same standard as he does now and has, who can really argue with the claim that he is one of the best goalkeepers ever?

Another one is Shay Given. I personally think that he is best goalkeeper in the Premier League. He has been in superb form for Manchester City and I hope they realize how truly lucky they are to have him guarding the sticks. He has always been a great goalkeeper and I am very surprised that he has never been snapped up by Manchester United or Chelsea, or even Arsenal as the search for a good goalkeeper goes on. He is a consummate professional and has the reflexes of a fucking cat. One of my favourite goalkeepers to ever play and it is a joy to watch some of his saves.

Then, of course, we have my goalie. We have the current Celtic goalkeeper that is tasked with the job of remaining sane for a season. Artur Boruc is a fucking talent, there is no doubt about it. The problem with Boruc is that he is, quite frankly, insane. He womanises and cheats on his girlfriend. He picks fights with other players and his team-mates alike and still manages to be one of the best goalkeepers on the surface of the planet. He is a risk because for so long, no one knew how he was going to play. Rumours flew around that he was going to Arsenal and Bayern Munich a few years ago and I personally think that we were lucky to hold on to him. That being said, his contract runs out at the end of next season and I fully expect him to go overseas. If you doubt his credentials, just watch this:

A great goalkeeper and shot-stopper, Boruc is indeed one of the best in the world. As for who that distinction actually goes to, I am going with Casillas.

But who do you guys think is the best in the world?

Seeing as we're probably talking the best in the world who's still active, I must say, although I haven't properly watched football in a very long time, back when I did, I know I've always had a soft spot for Gianluigi Buffon, Juventus' Vice captain and goalkeeper, he's had some amazing goal defending abilities, and what I've thought that ever since Italy won the world cup in 2006, after what in my opinion was some amazing goal keeping from Buffon, throughout the whole tournament, and I believe that is what put him on that year's all star team and made him IFFHS goalkeeper of the year in 2006 (and many other years)

Either Buffon, or another one I've always liked, Iker Casillas, one of my favorite goalkeepers of all time, he was the guy back when I was a kid who I'd always want to be when we were playing football in recess (you know, kids always wanting to say "I'm ..." for a football match.. for the fun of it) and of course we can't leave out the fact that he's been declared the IFFHS goalkeeper of the year the past two years already, and FIFA's goalkeeper of the year also.

Now if we're talking greatest of all time, can I do anything else than be a little bit biased, and say Peter Schmeichel, IFFHS declared him the 7th greatest goalkeeper of the century (20th century obviously) and has done amazing things in his career, and has two years of IFFHS worlds greatest goalkeeper in 92 and 93, 92 being the year Denmark won the European cup, this guy being my actual favorite goalkeeper of all time, not because of biased, but because I absolutely loved him, he's arguably one of the greatest things in football to ever come out of Denmark, alongside the Laudrup brothers, but I will argue that I think Peter Schmeichel is superior in worth to Michael and Brian Laudrup.

When I saw the thread title, I immidiately thought of Iker Casillas. But since you two already covered him, I will just say I totally agree with you. He surely is the best goalkeeper in the world right now and I must admit I just love that man.

I do have to disagree about Edwin van der Sar though. I may be biased by my love for the Netherlands, and I also know that he certainly doesn't belong to the 'new mould' of goalkeepers, but I still feel he is up there with the best. Yet, you may argue that that is only the case because there aren't many good goalkeepers right now, I give you that.
This man played 1,311 minutes without conceding a goal in the '08/'09 season, setting a new world record in the process. He was named Best European Goalkeeper in 1995 and 2009. That's 14 years apart and it proves that even now, with almost 40, he still belongs to the best of the world and technically is as good as he was 15 years ago. I've seen him make the craziest saves for the Nederlands voetbalelftal; he always seems reliable and secure.

Another goalkeeper that I want to throw in the mix is Petr Čech.
Ferbian talked about the IFFHS World's Best Goalkeeper, so I want to mention that Čech won it in 2005 and has been in the top 5 for the award from 2004-2009. I know he has many other awards but uhm, I don't know them by heart.
He was damn unlucky with his head injury, let alone the fact that he has a weaker skull than most people anyway, since he's a triplet. Still, he came back from this injury though I've heard some people say he was never able to achieve the form he was in before the injury. Hmm.

Look at Manchester United for an example of this. After Peter Schmeichel left them, they have struggled to fill the void and Van Der Sar is far from his level.
I have to disagree. Van der Sar is one of the top two 'keepers in the Premier League - along with Shay Given - and is probably United's key player. He is a superb 'keeper and easily one of the best in the world. Schmeichel was immense, but Van der Sar is extremely close to him. He has to be the most agile 39-year-old in the world.

That being said, there is still a few good goalkeepers out there. Iker Casillas is probably the best example. For over a decade, I think, he has been wearing the number one shirt for Real Madrid and is just an impeccable goalkeeper. People like Gordon Banks have acclaimed him to be one of the best goalkeepers in the history of football and who could blame him? Casillas is the paradigm of what a goalkeeper should be. He is relaxed and collected at all times and never makes a fool of himself. He has been with one of the biggest and most successful clubs in the world and has never been displaced by another. He has remained on top of his game for Real Madrid and is still only 29. He could go another 10 years, in all truth. If he did and plays to the same standard as he does now and has, who can really argue with the claim that he is one of the best goalkeepers ever?
Superb 'keeper but he's gone off the boil lately. We'll see at the World Cup if he's still got it but he is definitely among the very best.

Another one is Shay Given. I personally think that he is best goalkeeper in the Premier League. He has been in superb form for Manchester City and I hope they realize how truly lucky they are to have him guarding the sticks. He has always been a great goalkeeper and I am very surprised that he has never been snapped up by Manchester United or Chelsea, or even Arsenal as the search for a good goalkeeper goes on. He is a consummate professional and has the reflexes of a fucking cat. One of my favourite goalkeepers to ever play and it is a joy to watch some of his saves.
Yeah, a superb 'keeper. The thing with him is he's always been at a club that have given him plenty of work. The best 'keepers make saves in the 93rd minute after not touching the ball all game, not make twenty saves in a game. This year has seen Given show he is superb at this as well. Definitely a top choice.

Other choices: Hugo Llodris at Lyon. Very good 'keeper who may just have a storming World Cup with France. United and Arsenal are rumoured to be after him. His best years lie ahead of him.

Igor Akinfeev. Awful mistake in the Champions League against Inter, but still one of the best around. The two games against CSKA that Man United had saw the very best from the Russian. He may have conceded three at Old Trafford but without him the score would have been 10-3. Cracking 'keeper who needs to move to Western Europe to prove himself.

Julio Cesar at Inter Milan is also another good 'keeper. A Champions League winner's medal should be coming his way, and Brazil are favourites for the World Cup too, which would cap off a superb year for the Brazilian.

Then, of course, we have my goalie. We have the current Celtic goalkeeper that is tasked with the job of remaining sane for a season. Artur Boruc is a fucking talent, there is no doubt about it.

Can't argue with that, and this is coming from a Rangers fan! As far as I'm concerned Boruc's only flaw is his off the field antics, which incidentally is a trait shared by the current incumbent of the Rangers No. 1 jersey, Allan McGregor. He's another very talented goalkeeper, yet he always seems to be getting into one scrape or another off the pitch. In fact it's got to the point where there was a rumour going around that Birmingham were going to offer £5 million for McGregor and I thought to myself "Just take it and run!". There's an able deputy at Rangers in Neil Alexander and I don't think he gets enough credit, mainly because he's solid rather than spectacular. He's always done a job when he's been called in to the team, and I don't think Rangers would lose THAT much if they cashed in on McGregor.

Another goalkeeper I'd like to make mention of is Pepe Reina. I think he's an excellent keeper who is unfortunate to find himself around at the same time as Iker Casillas, who just so happens to be the best goalkeeper in the world. I think it's unfortunate that Reina hasn't won more caps but you can hardly argue with the guy who's above him in the Spanish pecking order. At Liverpool he's been fantastic (forget this season though, total washout!) and I think that the one thing that really makes him stand out from other goalkeepers in the Premier League is his distribution. He could practically land a ball on the proverbial sixpence.

By the way tHHHunder, when there was interest shown in Boruc (I think the figure quoted was £9 million?) looking back on it do you think Celtic should have cashed in, or are you quite happy for them to let his contract run down to the end of next season?

definitely agreed every team needs a good keeper, its the same as having a house with no cable television, it is pointless, Goalkeepers are easily the most underrated players on the football field. Keepers like Shay Given, Iker Casillas, Petr Chec(pre head crash) and Buffon in his prime, are all great goalkeepers and keep or kept their teams in matches week in week out. But there can only be one on the field, and they are normally on for the whole game unless they have been injured.
With that you have keepers that are always second in the international level ala Pepe reina to Iker Casillas, and Lehmann to Oliver Kahn. One of the most famous Goalkeeper feuds. With Kahn getting the number one spot more regularly.
So, that is me talking about Goalkeepers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back