• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

LET’S START AGAIN!

Fan_of_Wrestling

Occasional Pre-Show
For the last 12 months the Hogan/Bischoff era has be all about “Changing the Game” big announcement that are always a let down. Bound for Glory has come around and Dixie Carter has been tweeting again about a big change. Instead of trying to predict what Dixie has in mind, I’m gonna put forward a proposal to you all of what I want the announcement to be.

What TNA have been wanting to do as of late is something revolutionary, and while I think mine is, I also think it will take us back to the core of what pro-wrestling should be… and that is a performance based on a fictional/scripted sport.

Yeah I know we live in the era of MMA, and what I’m proposing is to raid MMA for a few key things that is now missing from pro-wrestling, and this is not integrating a MMA ‘strong style’ but a focus back on the Championships and the quest for Gold.

I began my viewing of TNA in 2002 I saw the first show one week late via download and what hooked me what the use of wrestlers of all sizes and the title matches in all divisions created equal. Over the years TNA have slipped back into the traditional model of World Heavyweight title being the top title and everything else below it. The X-division means nothing and the TV title is a joke.

What I put forward is a complete overhaul of the Championships, the divisions and a focus back on wins and losses.

In UFC everyone knows that you don’t have to be 6-5 300 pounds to main event a show and draw money, and that’s because all Championships have an equal standing in the organisation. In TNA I would like to see a Three weight system implemented; Heavyweight, Middleweight and Lightweight… with the Tag-team titles being an openweight.

If TNA could re-train there audience they could have any wrestler at any size/weight be the focus of the show. Also it would cut down the need in those stupid pro-wrestling matches where the likes of Rey Mysterio goes over The Big Show because that’s the only way Rey Mysterio can be the Main Event champion.

Obviously for this to work there would be room to blur the lines, like in MMA a wrestler would be able to wrestle in the weight class above or below (if it was realistic, like with BJ Penn fighting up a weight class, or Randy Couture fighting in both Heavyweight and Light-heavyweight) This would allow people like AJ to fight anyone, because he could move upto heavyweight or down to lightweight... but Abyss would no longer be able to fight Kendrick. And if you really thought for storyline purposes that a lightweight has to wrestle a heavyweight you could have a one-of openweight bout.

I would also see the Top Ten rankings implemented across all the weight divisions, but not in it’s current form, having it working on a strictly win-loss structure. This would help build stars as the audience could see them earn there way upto a title shot. I also believe that this would more than make up for the lack of Mid-card titles that are rarely used efficiently.

I know a lot of you guys will jump all over this, for it’s use of MMA ideas, but I defy any of you guys to say that TNA needs an overhaul to add focus to the championships. I also desperately what TNA to once again bring a focus back the X-division style that brought them to the table and I think that the Lightweight division could do that.

What do you think? Would you like to see wrestlers of all sizes main event? Could we ever see TNA work with this new model?

Yeah, this sounds like a great idea. I'd love to see people of all sizes work in the main event. It gives them an oppurtunity doesn't it? Everybody deserves a shot, no matter what weight class they are. If Rey Mysterio can do it in WWE, then I don't see why people like Eric Young and Shannon Moore can't do it in TNA.

It makes perfect sense, and I think it'd actually benefit TNA alot more than anybody else. TNA use alot of the same people in their main eventing area, and it can become quite boring. From a business perspective, I suppose you could argue that it'd bring in more viewers because it's actually interesting to watch and it's something new. It's what TNA needs right now. Not Jeff Hardy destroying TNA's rep even more with his constant prison sentences.

Anything's better than seeing another boring, TNA World Championship tournament. They're just so overused now.

Yeah, I think it'd be a good idea and I'd like to see some new faces with the TNA World Championship. Great thread.

Yeah, this sounds like a great idea. I'd love to see people of all sizes work in the main event. It gives them an oppurtunity doesn't it? Everybody deserves a shot, no matter what weight class they are. If Rey Mysterio can do it in WWE, then I don't see why people like Eric Young and Shannon Moore can't do it in TNA.

It makes perfect sense, and I think it'd actually benefit TNA alot more than anybody else. TNA use alot of the same people in their main eventing area, and it can become quite boring. From a business perspective, I suppose you could argue that it'd bring in more viewers because it's actually interesting to watch and it's something new. It's what TNA needs right now. Not Jeff Hardy destroying TNA's rep even more with his constant prison sentences.

Anything's better than seeing another boring, TNA World Championship tournament. They're just so overused now.

Yeah, I think it'd be a good idea and I'd like to see some new faces with the TNA World Championship. Great thread.

Wow dude why are you such a Hardy Hater ? Did he not sign you a autograph or write you back ?

Anyways back to the topic, I feel weight classes will only limit the product and go against what TNA and the X division is all about remember "It's not about weight limits it's about no limits"

Anyways back to the topic, I feel weight classes will only limit the product and go against what TNA and the X division is all about remember "It's not about weight limits it's about no limits"

Really? Seriously? I agree that's what TNA used to be about... but not anymore. I honestly think that the MMA style weight class system would be a great liberator for the x-division style. It would allow the smaller guys the chance to main event shows like once upon a time.

And the whole "it's not about weight limits" sounded cool, and i loved the concept... but only ever applied when Sonny Siaki won the strap back in 2002, Samoa Joe and Angle (and they could have just said he cut weight at the time) oooh yeah... not to mention Team 3D almost getting the belt.

I'm usually someone that want's to hold on the ideals of the old-TNA, but I think the day Hogan signed the TNA of old died, I still watch old DVDs but I want TNA to succeed in the future and I feel it's being held back by the current state and fans that pine for 2002-2005.

Not Jeff Hardy destroying TNA's rep even more with his constant prison sentences.

this is the 3rd thread(i believe) that you have used this exact thing. where and when in Jeff Hardy's past has he ever served a prison sentence.
I know just after his arrest last year he served a short jail sentence but that is as much as I've heard of. and I've been following Jeff's career since they debuted with WWE

but on topic. I would really like to see something like this in pro wrestling..wether it be TNA or WWE. putting the emphasis back into the championships and people wanting to be the top of their weight class would be great. I would have 4 divisons myself....Heavywieghts, Lightweights, Tag and then have the TV/X titles combined and be anyone.

Ideally, it'd be nice for wrestlers of all sorts of different sizes to get a chance to be in the main event if they've got the talent. The problem is that there are many wrestling fans, both in the IWC and among the average wrestling fan, that legitimately has a problem with small guys being in the main event.

When Rey Mysterio won the World Heavyweight Championship for the first time, there was a lot of complaining and general criticism. Not because Mysterio wasn't a talented wrestler, but because of his physical stature. There are a lot of wrestling fans in America that don't like the idea of a World Champion that weighs well over 200 pounds and is well under 6 feet tall. The same thing happened when Mysterio won the title for the second time a few months back. I remember the title of one of the threads complaining about it and it was called "It's supposed to be the World HEAVYWEIGHT Championship", which was another dig at Mysterio's size. One reason why size has become something of an issue among American wrestling fans is due to them being at least partially responsible for making it an issue.

Personally, I applaud the WWE for giving Rey Mysterio a shot. A lot of the better guys in wrestling today and a lot of guys coming in are more on the "smaller" side. WWE, TNA ROH and other American companies have legitimately been trying to change the minds of some fans regarding the whole size deal. It's a long process and isn't going to happen overnight, but they've all made some legitimate progress in my opinion. A lot of the top guys in either of these companies aren't exactly these big hulking masses of muscle, nor are there a lot of guys like that anywhere near the main event.

It would do something that hasn't been present in TNA in a long time; it would make it unique. TNA was awesome when it first rolled around because it was so different to how WWE, WCW and ECW are/were. Now its just a mash of the three with shitty production values. Something like this would give the company an identity and a selling point.

Needless to say, I think its a great concept. My only worry would be who would get their hands on it. TNA has had great ideas and potential before, and look where we are today.

When Rey Mysterio won the World Heavyweight Championship for the first time, there was a lot of complaining and general criticism. Not because Mysterio wasn't a talented wrestler, but because of his physical stature. There are a lot of wrestling fans in America that don't like the idea of a World Champion that weighs well over 200 pounds and is well under 6 feet tall.

Well, most of the Rey bitching stems from the fact that he got pushed to the moon just because of Eddie's death. So I think the size thing just added on to the IWC anger.

Im fine with pushing guys like Rey, DBD, Kaval, etc. but the problem is, how are you going to make them look like legitimate threats against guys like Kane, Taker, Cena, etc.? Just imagine DBD as WWE Champion. I would love to see it, but do you really think that could work? At least with Rey and Kaval they have their "high flying" threat.

I understand why people bitch about guys like Rey winning the title. It just looks ridiculous to have a World Champion like that, when basically all of the guys in the locker room are twice his size.

Look, I want the smaller guys to get pushed, because im sick of seeing just a bunch of tall, buff dudes in the main event. But it's just really hard to put them over as legitimate threats/contenders over all these guys with body-builder like physiques.

lmao dude I have seen u slam Jeff Hardy for his "constant prison sentences" lol dude Jeff Hardy has been CHARGED never convicted therefore he has never been to prison, just jail.

however to the original post. that sounds like an interesting concept and I would be interested in watching it.

ok just going to try to sort it out

Lightweight would be
Douglas Williams
Jay Lethal
Kaz
Aj Styles
Sabin
Shelly
Max Buck
Jermey Buck
Kendrick
Eric Young
Moore
Amazing Red

Middle Weight
Aj Styles
Kurt Angle
Pope
Anderson
Hardy
Storm
Roode
Magnus
Wolfe
Orlando Jordan
Jarret

HeavyWeight
Aybss
Morgan
Hernadez
Somoa Joe
Kevin Nash
Sting
Rhino
Rob Terry
Aj Styles
Kurt Angle
Pope
Anderson
Hardy

Not bad but where will the line be to changing weights and if someone like AJ is beating Middleweights does he just disappear from the lightweight rankings?

goodlay said:
Look, I want the smaller guys to get pushed, because im sick of seeing just a bunch of tall, buff dudes in the main event. But it's just really hard to put them over as legitimate threats/contenders over all these guys with body-builder like physiques.

But that's why this idea would work, they wouldn't have to be a legitimate theats/contenders to the body-builders... in the same way in UFC GSP isn't a contender to Brock Lesnar... but can make big money too.

ocwrestler23 said:
Not bad but where will the line be to changing weights and if someone like AJ is beating Middleweights does he just disappear from the lightweight rankings?

I would have thought we would have a situation where someone like AJ would actually say he want to prove himself against the high flying lightweights or the big strong heavyweight and then compete in that ranking... but if his win/loss record still stands in another weight class I have no problem with that sticking.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to go against most of you guys here and actually disagree with this. And here's why.

How many guys on the roster could compete in 2 divisions? Not that many - AJ, Kurt, Pope, Anderson, Hardy etc (ie: all the "middleweights") could step up but what about those that couldn't compete in 2 divisions? Especially the heavyweights. People like Abyss, Morgan, Joe, Nash etc could only compete in the heavyweight division as they can't go down a division. People like Kendrick, Amazing Red, Gen Me etc could only compete in the lightweight division. This means that after a while they will all just simply run out of people to face and tna fans would complain it's the same fueds over and over again.

Another reason is that it would also take away the "underdog" story that, when done well, is one of best in wrestling. Ok, so WWE have ruined it somewhat by constantly have Rey as the underdog but the "big heel vs little babyface" is always a good way of getting the face over. The little guy doesn't have to win to get over, he just needs to put in a gutsy performance - plus it keeps it realistic. The fans appreciate the little guy's effort but aren't too surpirsed when the big guys eventually win.

However, who says it's unrealistic for the little guy to win? Back when UFC had no weight limits, the smaller guy who had better technique nearly always beat the big, slow guy. Royce Gracie won 3 out of the first 4 UFC tournaments, despite being smaller than most of his opponents and he won loads of fans because of it. That's also not to mention that when the UFC did their "David vs Goliath" tournament (UFC 8 - where all fights were big guys vs little guys) it was a little guy that won the whole thing. Also, the first ever UFC fight was between a 200lb karate champion against a 600lb sumo wrestler - and the little guy won in 20 seconds. So, I don't think it's too unrealistic when the little guy triumphs over the big guy.

The problem I am having with this is wrestling is a theater in in lowest quality. You need the david vs. goliath storylines because underdogs get over. HBK, Mysterio or hell back from my own days growing up in the bingo hall Spike Dudley who got more pop then half the roster.
If wrestling were to be realistic the same guys likely would win all teh time because their are some who are legit bad asses. It is not good to blur the lines completely which is what is being suggested. Wrestling without the theater is boring and predictable and so much worse then even the crappy product we are stuck with now.

How many guys on the roster could compete in 2 divisions? Not that many - AJ, Kurt, Pope, Anderson, Hardy etc (ie: all the "middleweights") could step up but what about those that couldn't compete in 2 divisions? Especially the heavyweights. People like Abyss, Morgan, Joe, Nash etc could only compete in the heavyweight division as they can't go down a division. People like Kendrick, Amazing Red, Gen Me etc could only compete in the lightweight division. This means that after a while they will all just simply run out of people to face and tna fans would complain it's the same fueds over and over again.

Hmm... I'm confused, if all the middle weights can wrestle at heavyweight too, and all the lightweights can wrestle at middleweight... doesn't that mean that all wrestlers can compete with at least 2/3 of the roster? Wouldn't that be enough.

Another reason is that it would also take away the "underdog" story that, when done well, is one of best in wrestling. Ok, so WWE have ruined it somewhat by constantly have Rey as the underdog but the "big heel vs little babyface" is always a good way of getting the face over. The little guy doesn't have to win to get over, he just needs to put in a gutsy performance - plus it keeps it realistic. The fans appreciate the little guy's effort but aren't too surpirsed when the big guys eventually win.

As for the David vs Goliath factor, I do agree it would be a shame to loose those, for that very reason I suggested on occasion non-title open-weight bouts could take place. Because of the rarity of these matches it would become much more of a big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back