• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Lesnar vs Overeem booked for UFC 141!!!!

Window Licker 101

Too interesting
Former Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem (35-11 MMA, 0-0 UFC) is UFC bound, and Brock Lesnar (5-2 MMA, 4-2 UFC) will welcome him to the octagon.

UFC officials today announced that Overeem and Lesnar will meet on Dec. 30 in the main event of a rare Friday-night UFC card (expected to serve as UFC 141) at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

The five-round contest serves as a No.1 contender's fight, and the victor meets the winner of the Nov. 12 bout between current UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez and top contender Junior Dos Santos.

"This is the fight the fans want," UFC president Dana White told "The Los Angeles Times" earlier today. "Both of these guys are monsters. Can Lesnar take Overeem down?"

UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta echoed White's enthusiasm for the fight.

"Our thinking when we bought Strikeforce was to give fans the fights they want," Fertitta said. "Obviously, Alistair's one of the best heavyweights in the world, but he also has that 'it' factor – the tremendous look. He's huge. It's a star factor."

UFC officials confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the fight was scheduled for Friday, Dec. 30, due to the challenges that hosting an event on New Year's Eve would have presented.

Overeem, of course, was released from Strikeforce in late July following a conflict with UFC and Strikeforce officials regarding his ability to compete in a Sept. 10 bout with Antonio Silva. His Golden Glory teammates Marloes Coenen, Jon Olav Einemo and Valentijn Overeem were released shortly after, and White pointed to the team's wishes for paycheck to be issued directly to management as the cause for the move.

However, White recently revealed that Golden Glory officials reached out in an effort to reach an agreement and that negotiations were ongoing.

"We're talking," White said. "You guys know how that whole thing went down. Golden Glory was in this position where we couldn't do business, and they changed their position, which I respect. Now we can do business."

This is the MMA equivalent to King Kong vs Godzilla. Of course, The Reem is Godzilla seeing as he conquered Japan! Awesome way to round out 2011. Thanks again Uncle Dana! Now let's pray to GOD that Brock doesn't need to pull out.

Huge fight. Both guys might as well be Super Heavyweights and are monsters of this sport. I do believe this fight is very evenly matched, though. Lesnar is a great wrestler with good ground n' pound. The problem is he uses his superior strength to get guys down, that won't be an easy thing to accomplish with Overeem. Overeem is just as strong, if not stronger then Lesnar. He also has far superior striking and a sick standing guillotine that Lesnar will have to contend with if he really wants to get Reem to the mat. Should be an awesome chess match.

This fight could very well make the most money for this year. People love a good monster fight, especially when the fighters are actually good. It is also a great way to close out the year for the UFC. I can't wait to see this one go down.

AWESOME! ca't wait for this fight! As a pro wrestling fan and K-1 fan from The Netherlands this is a dream come true!

I think Overeem will win this one. He is a phenominal striker, won K-1 and his submission skills are awesome. He is with one of the best fighting team of the world Golden Glory from The Netherlands. Don't want to sound arrogant but the Dutch seem to produce some of the greatest champions in the world of martial arts.

^Gsp? Spider? Yeah.......

Ok then, well this was a mark out moment for me. I've thought of this a few times, but really I have no fucking clue. Overeem was a total monster when I've seen him fight. Brock had the size matchup with Carwin when they met. But Overeem is a much better striker, with about the same in heavy hands. Not to mention he could run circles around carwin on cardio.

For me Overeem takes this one

Overeem's cardio is nothing to write home about. He gassed against Werdrum and hardly threw anything in that fight. This one comes down to how well Lesnar can handle a punch these days and whats he done in training to improve this. If he's been working on that and doesn't freak out when he gets hit he has a good chance as no one can stop a Lesnar take down as he will get you down at some point. We'll see how good Overeem is from the bottom and if he can back up. Brock also has to watch out for the Uberknee going for the takedown. Going to be an interesting match and can't wait. Lesnar has never been in a boring fight so this should be good and a true test for the Reem.

Ok then, well this was a mark out moment for me. I've thought of this a few times, but really I have no fucking clue. Overeem was a total monster when I've seen him fight.

Against the Todd Duffee's and Brett Rogers' of the world, yea he is a total monster. Nothing to write home about unless you're talking about his fights in K-1. Regardless, much like BJJ and Wrestling, you must adapt your Kickboxing to MMA and Overeem hasn't shown me his style has translated well. He uses the huge gloves in K-1 to block punches and create openings. Can't do that with the tiny gloves in MMA. Either way, he should outstrike Lesnar unless Lesnar lands a huge punch which is possible. Most don't seem to think it's a possibility, but it is.

Not to mention he could run circles around carwin on cardio.

Debatable. Overeem has never been a cardio freak and he certainly won't "run circles" around Carwin. I'd say Brock has better cardio than Overeem. He's gone three rounds showing no signs of gassing. Either way, this won't go to decision so I don't see cardio being an issue.

It all comes down to Lesnar's ability to take Overeem down. Overeem is good on the ground, but in his career, Lesnar has shown a very good understanding of positioning and defending subs. Add that to the fact that he has a very good BJJ coach and I have huge doubts that Overeem will be able to sub him. Brock needs to get this fight down at all costs and Overeem needs to keep it standing at all costs. Personally, I have Lesnar via TKO in round 2.

When this fight was announced, I was just simply in shock. Not at the fact that it was actually happening, that didn't surprise me one bit, but at the build-up to it, because in reality, there wasn't any really. This past week, the UFC has made some blockbuster announcements regarding upcoming fights, and the only one that had any sort of hype around it was the GSP-Condit fight. This one really came as a shock to me, and I couldn't be more hyped up for it. On one hand, you have the former UFC Heavyweight Champion, who in 7 fights has done more than most fighters do in their entire career, who has consistently fought the best of the best, and in most cases won, and on the other, you have the former Strikeforce Heavyweight Champion, and arguably the best striker in the heavyweight division (outside of Junior dos Santos). It's got the makings of either one of the better heavyweight fights of the year, or a COLOSSAL letdown. My guess is that it's an exciting, 2 and a half round fight, that's somewhat evenly matched, with Brock securing some very good takedowns, and Overeem hitting some big shots, but I think Overeem is gonna just unload at one point, and Brock is gonna crumble underneath it. So yeah, Overeem via TKO, rd. 3.

Gotta tip your hat to Brock for having the balls to take this fight, but I dont see him winning. Only way, is to take Reem down and make him gas. Unfortunately, I think Brock gets KO'd or TKO'd in the 2nd round. I'm pulling for him though!

wow if Lesnar has worked on his standup and can actually try to take a punch he has a huge chance!! Lesnar needs to get it to the ground asap Alistar hasnt had an opponent the quality of Lesnar... If Alistar can keep it standing he will murder Brock... Geez a multi K-1 champion Alistar is a beast on his feet best striker in the heavyweight divison bar none!! This is gonna be a huge blockbuster fight and i for one cannot wait

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back