• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Legacy Comparison: Ric Flair vs. Hulk Hogan.

Ferbian

Has Returned.
Ric%20Flair%20with%20Bastard%20Hogan%20in%20the%20Figure%20Four-medium.jpg

Two of the biggest names in the history of wrestling. These two guys thrived as the top dog / poster boy of their respected companies in the 80's, and eventually went on to butt heads every now and then in the 90's, both in WWF as well as WCW.

Hulk Hogan being the WWF poster boy, the guy that took professional wrestling to new heights, and made professional wrestling what it is today. A multiple times WWF champion, as well as WCW champion. Considered the greatest of all time by many, many people.

On the other hand though, Ric Flair is more or less the exact same. Not only was he the top dog of the NWA, and eventually WCW as their world champion. But he is also the one wrestler with the most world championship reigns in the history of the business, even after you take away the reigns that aren't universally recognized. He was the top heel for many many years in the 80's, but eventually became the guy you loved to hate. He was a major part in the reason that NWA succeeded like it did back against the train that was WWF.

Both of them have had incredible careers, that more or less span the same amount of time. Obviously though Ric Flair have been longer active in the ring, while Hulk Hogan have had his breaks here and there, yet continue to be popular as ever.

These are two icons, two legends and two gigantic names that will most likely forever be compared. There will always be the argument "Who was better? Ric Flair, or Hulk Hogan?" and there will always be disagreements.

A lot can be said about both of them, like how they stuck around for too long, how their the two greatest wrestlers of all time, and how they were the reason wrestling was awesome back in the 80's.

So obviously one could say that while their alignments were most certainly different throughout the years, they have far more in common than it seems when you're looking from the outside in.

Anyway, who had the biggest legacy? Was it the Immortal Hulk Hogan? Or was it the Woooo Nature Boy Ric Flair?

I respect each for what they have contributed to the wrestling industry. They are the 2 greatest of the past 30 years but I think you have to respect each for their distinct style and contributions.

I grew to loath Hogan of the 80s and early 90s just because of his predictable character and story lines. At the same time, he did more for wrestling going mainstream and making wrestling the massive industry it is today than anyone ever. Hogan/Andre was THE story line when I first got into wrestling so that's my sentimental aspect for Hogan. What many consider to be the greatest wrestling angle of all time, the nWo, would never have been considered just that if not for the EPIC heel turn by Hogan plain and simple.

On the other hand, I view the Nature Boy Ric Flair as kind of the Hogan of the South (in the 80s). He was more of a regional Hogan per se and mostly a heel version. But he put butts in the seats and I actually respect/enjoyed him more because he was just over so crazy and DOMINATING NWA as a heel. For some reason, I respect and enjoy that aspect much more. One of my favorite memories is the Flair, Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, Barry Windham version of the Four Horsemen holding the World title (Flair), US title (Windham) and World Tag Titles (Anderson and Blanchard) AT THE SAME TIME! Absolute dominance. And the crowds were absolutely insane wanting so bad for these guys (or even one of them) to drop a title or get beat. Of course Flair was one of the greatest of all time at none other than WRESTLING. One of my first memories is Flair vs Sting at the first Clash of the Champions. A 45 minute clinic. I had never seen anything like it to that point because all I knew to that point was the WWF and their cartoon characters, squash matches on tv, and 5 or max 10 minute matches. And who got over in that 45 minute Flair/Sting match?? Of course the Nature Boy did! I just can't say enough about Flair's ability to tell a story both in and out of the ring.

You can't go wrong with either, because both were great but in differing ways. I wish TNA would get that through their heads-understanding it doesn't have to beat WWE or duplicate their product. Produce an alternative and it can be great in its own way.

Well it has to be Hulk Hogan. He is the most loved face of all time as well as someone who is in reckoning for the most hated heel of all time. He was responsible for a wrestling boom period in the 80's and also had a huge part to play in fashioning the second boom period as well. He made his company a lot of money both as a face as well as a heel.

Ric Flair was the better in ring worker and in his prime could carry anyone to at least a passable match. But he did not draw more than Hogan and nor is he as popular as Hogan is in the mainstream culture.

Hogan is regarded as somewhat of a backstage politician but its not like Flair is without his share of detractors as well. So they are more or less equal there.

Love him or hate him you cannot ignore Hogan's contribution to wrestling. And that is why Hogan might have the greatest legacy among everyone and not just Ric Flair.

The way I see it, Ric Flair is the top prevailing legend of the wrestling world IN the wrestling world, whereas Hulk Hogan is the top prevailing legend of the wrestling world in the mainstream world.

Ric Flair is NOWHERE near as famous as Hulk Hogan outside of the wrestling business. Hulk Hogan, name-wise and fame-wise, is the Muhammad Ali of wrestling.

I hate them both, but Flair is nowhere near the name Hogan is, and Hogan is nowhere near the wrestler Flair is...so ask yourself what is more important??? Then you have your answer.

The way I see it, Ric Flair is the top prevailing legend of the wrestling world IN the wrestling world, whereas Hulk Hogan is the top prevailing legend of the wrestling world in the mainstream world.

Ric Flair is NOWHERE near as famous as Hulk Hogan outside of the wrestling business. Hulk Hogan, name-wise and fame-wise, is the Muhammad Ali of wrestling.

I completely agree. I like Ric Flair a lot, but I love Hulk Hogan. I think a lot of wrestling fans my age would agree. The big match moments are what puts Hogan above Flair. When you think of Hogan you think of him body slamming Andre The Giant, facing down the Ultimate Warrior, and having 70,000 people split down the middle when he faced the Rock. Flair is great overall, but he doesn't really have any of those iconic, wrestling history moments like Hogan does. To me, that puts Hogan over the top. You also can't deny the fact that Flair isn't even one percent as famous as Hogan outside the ring.

can't disagree here. Hogan over Flair hands down.

Hogan was sports entertainment b4 the term was coined. Was a far better showman and player of "The Game" and had far bigger matches on a global scale, and even after that there's no denying if you didn't know about Flair by watching you wouldn't have known jack shit about him outside of the NWA/WCW shows.

Hogan on the other hand was known by Wrestling fans the world over and other facets of society whether they watched wrestling or not.

it was primarily the promotional machine on WWF though, lets not get carried away and think it was Hogan the person that did it all :)

on the downside
Hulk Hogan is self serving and seems to believe that without him wrestling wouldn't exist. The character in the 80's did certainly put wrestling on the global map and is the most recognizable name in the industry PERIOD! and it crossed over to Hollywood, even though he sucked as an actor :p but Vince gave him the stage and let him b constantly the number 1 draw for the better part of 9 years

Ric Flair is the better "Wrestler"
deserves all the props for being the consumate Legend from a "what's best for the company perspective"

He had far more physically demanding matches and was not a glory hound for the most part

Though annoying alot on the mic (atleast to me) he was among the best period in all aspects and ontop of that though it does seem he's a limelight stealer, one can't deny that's he's put so many people over it's not funny and has no issues being made to look the fool. Alot like Bobby Heenan.

Hogan is the complete opposite in that last statement. He "was" entertaining on the mic, Was a limelight stealer, put very few people over. and continues to follow that path.

when it all comes down to it, they can be listed as #1 and #2 of best all time and noone could deny.

My only issue is they both refused to let go when they were still respected and now they are making complete fools of themselves on a weekly basis, Hogan moreso then Flair.

I gotta go with Hogan here.

Ric Flair is a wrestling God, plain and simple. He put on some of the greatest matches of all time, he was one of the most charasmatic wrestlers of all time, he is one of the most decorated wrestlers/entertainers/performers of all time, but Hogan was more than that.

Hulk Hogan was the face of the two largest wrestling promotions of all time: WWF and WCW. He was an icon both in an out of the ring, a movie star, and one of the most well known individuals to be associated with professional wrestling.

Also, it's impossible to ignore Ric Flair's time in WWE the years before his 'retirment.' It's impossible to claim those years didn't hurt Ric Flair's legacy. Hogan has been involved in high profile feuds his entire career, whiel Flair spent a number years drifting aimlessly around in WWE's roster.

The answer is in how the question was phrased. If the question was about who was the better wrestler, Ric Flair would win easily...but by asking who had the best legacy, which is a much more inclusive term, its got to be Hulk Hogan. I am not going to take anything away from Ric Flair...I respect the fuck out of him, and have loved his career since I first saw him wrestle on saturday mornings on TBS in the NWA. But, Hulk Hogan is the reason that we get to watch Monday Night Raw, Impact, Smackdown, etc. Without Hulk Hogan as an overarching force for popularity, Vince McMahon never would have been able to consolidate the wrestling territories as successfully as he did. The expansion of cable into American's homes may not have included professional wrestling programming on the USA network for very long without the hugely marketable lead wrestler named Hulk Hogan. Legacy is about more than just what someone accomplished in the ring, its about their overall impact in pro wrestling. Nobody has made a bigger overall impact than Hulk Hogan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back