LAUSD Shut Down Indefinitely

BringThePain834

Getting Noticed By Management
All Los Angeles Unified School District campuses were closed Tuesday and will remain closed until further notice. LAUSD received a "credible" threat to all schools, according to district officials and police.

The threat against the nation's second largest school district was sent via email to a school board member Monday evening and was traced back to an IP address in Frankfurt, Germany, according to LAUSD spokeswoman Ellen Morgan.

Officials announced the district-wide closure shortly before 7 a.m. on Tuesday.

The Los Angeles Police Department was notified about a "specific" threat late Monday night that had been sent to a number of school board members, LAPD Police Chief Charlie Beck said during a mid-morning news conference.

The implied threat was "explosive devices," "assault rifles" and "machine pistols," according to Beck.

"The school district safeguards three quarters of a million lives every day. When they make a decision, they have to take into account the safety of the children of Los Angeles," Beck said, responding to criticism about the decision to close schools.

"These are tough times," Beck said. "These communities — our community, Southern California — has been through a lot in recent weeks. Should we risk putting our children through the same?"

Mayor Eric Garcetti, speaking at the same news conference as the police chief, added that the message included a number of forms of violence and weapons, and stated that "things were already in place to bring that violence about."

Although the IP address was in Germany, the origin of the threat was still unknown, according to the police chief. He said he believed the threat came from much closer than Europe.

"We are still vetting the threat," Beck stated, adding that the LAPD has not yet determined whether the threat is credible or not. School officials, however, have referred to it as "credible."

"We are still vetting the threat," Beck stated, adding that the LAPD has not yet determined whether the threat is credible or not. School officials, however, have referred to it as "credible."

Amid the ongoing investigation, the city's Emergency Operation Center has been activated at its lowest level, the mayor said.

A similar threat was made against New York City's school system on the same day, according to New York Police Commissioner Bill Bratton. He described the email that the superintendent of his city's school system received as "almost exactly the same" as the one LAUSD officials were sent.

New York police believe the threat in their city to be a “hoax," said Bratton, a former LAPD chief.

Earlier, Superintendent Ramon Cortines described the nature of the threat as "unspecified." It was initially characterized as a "terror threat" by another LAUSD official.

Calling the threat "rare," Cortines said the threat was directed to "students at schools." He added it was made to "many schools," but did not identify any by name.

Officials later clarified the threat had been made to all schools.

The superintendent stated that he made the decision to close all campuses after consulting with Los Angeles School Police Department Chief Steven Zipperman and School Board President Steve Zimmer.

Cortines had the full support of Garcetti, who said that while the decision to close the schools was not his to make, "it is mine to support as mayor."

All the schools were being thoroughly searched to ensure the grounds were "safe for children," according to Cortines.

"I've asked the plant managers to walk the school, and if they see anything that is out of order to contact the police," Cortines said.

The Los Angeles Police Department -- which has taken the lead in the investigation -- and the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department were assisting school police in search operations of all campuses.

A number of police patrol cars and SWAT vehicles were seen in the vicinity of local schools in the hours after LAUSD disclosed the threat, video from Sky5 showed.

School bus service has also been canceled for the day. All LAUSD students with a valid student ID were able to ride Metro services for free Tuesday.

Other districts in Southern California reported receiving no threats to their schools, and were operating their campuses normally. Some charter, private and Catholic schools closed.

Cortines felt it was important to take the precaution "based on what has happened recently, and what has happened in the past," he said, alluding to the recent mass shooting in San Bernardino, which was being investigated by the FBI as an "act of terrorism."

The Dec. 2 attack at the Inland Regional Center left 14 people dead and 22 others injured.

Meanwhile, the threat to LAUSD schools was still in the process of being analyzed, according to Zipperman. The FBI has also been notified.

“Whether this pans out as something that could have happened or not … I do not want people to say – because sometimes things don’t result in a shooting, or don’t result in a foiled plot – to not speak up and to not speak out," Garcetti said. “If you see something, say something.”

As law enforcement personnel walked through all the campuses looking for anything suspicious, schools would remain close out of an abundance of caution and to ensure the safety of students, according to the school police chief.

A number of steps would be taken before schools were cleared to reopen, including gathering information obtained by LAPD and the Sheriff's Department from the campus sweeps, Zipperman stated.

The superintendent and school board members would then be briefed, and would make a final determination based on the collected evidence on whether classes would be in session on Wednesday.

"We will not do that until we are completely satisfied that we have taken every measure possible to ensure the safety of our students," Zipperman said at the news conference.

In the meantime, parents and guardians were urged in the morning hours to keep their kids home from school until further notice.

Anyone who had already dropped their child off was asked to pick them up. Proper ID will be required and checked upon picking students up, school officials said.

LAUSD serves more than 640,000 students throughout the Los Angeles area and in multiple nearby cities, according to its website. The district is composed of a total of 1,087 schools. 900 public and 187 public charter schools.

My god, there's some real crazy shit going on in our world today. I am hoping that everyone that this concerns is safe and that these schools don't stay closed for too long as I'm sure that most high schools have finals to do this week.

Last thing that we need in this world is to hear about more tragedies, whether it be attacks, shootings, or bombings, especially at this time of year.

The more I read about this the more it seems like a hoax. In theory, wouldn't terrorists just show up and start shooting rather than warn everyone?

The more I read about this the more it seems like a hoax. In theory, wouldn't terrorists just show up and start shooting rather than warn everyone?

Which is why the NYPD looked at the email and said:

dismissivewank.gif

Oh wow, a school district shutting down because of a threat of violence? This has literally never happened before.

Oh wait, no, it happens all the fucking time across the United States and has been a regularly occurring thing since Columbine. There were roughly 4-6 "bomb threats" that closed schools in my area during the time I spent in middle and high school. Guess how many of them resulted in any kind of violence?

How much do you want to bet a couple of kids didn't want to go to school and started this?

Holy FUCK I hate the media. All it fucking is anymore is "Donald Trump derp derp derp a derp" and "YOU'RE ALL GOING TO FUCKING DIE FROM TERRORISM AND ISIS RUN FOR THE HILLS".

Oh wow, a school district shutting down because of a threat of violence? This has literally never happened before.

Oh wait, no, it happens all the fucking time across the United States and has been a regularly occurring thing since Columbine. There were roughly 4-6 "bomb threats" that closed schools in my area during the time I spent in middle and high school. Guess how many of them resulted in any kind of violence?

How much do you want to bet a couple of kids didn't want to go to school and started this?

Holy FUCK I hate the media. All it fucking is anymore is "Donald Trump derp derp derp a derp" and "YOU'RE ALL GOING TO FUCKING DIE FROM TERRORISM AND ISIS RUN FOR THE HILLS".

I think you're downplaying the geographic significance of the threat as well as the scale of the shutdown, but yes, our culture of fear is deplorable.

When I was about eight my dad and I were having supper at Burger King and someone called in a bomb threat. My dad thought it was some moron who didn't want to come in to work or had been denied a day off or something. Nothing came of it.

Also the NYPD read the email and said it claimed to be from Islamic extremists, but whoever wrote it didn't seem to understand much about Islam, hence them declaring the New York part a hoax.

I think you're downplaying the geographic significance of the threat as well as the scale of the shutdown, but yes, our culture of fear is deplorable.

I think you're overplaying the significance of this event and the possibility it's legit. I've seen high as fuck fourteen year old kids who wouldn't even KNOW how to use a gun or make a bomb shut down entire school districts with one phone call. It's not exactly hard in this day and age.

When I was about eight my dad and I were having supper at Burger King and someone called in a bomb threat. My dad thought it was some moron who didn't want to come in to work or had been denied a day off or something. Nothing came of it.

Also the NYPD read the email and said it claimed to be from Islamic extremists, but whoever wrote it didn't seem to understand much about Islam, hence them declaring the New York part a hoax.

I was in the 9th grade I believe, skipping school with some friends, and one of them called in a bomb threat to our high school because he wanted his girlfriend to be able to get out of school and hang out with us. They shut down the school immediately, including every surrounding one in the state, brought in bomb-sniffing dogs, the SWAT team, the whole fucking nine yards. Because one 14 year old stoner giggled his way through a bomb threat.

So, you know, excuse me if I don't take this "threat" seriously. Take this about as seriously as the Survivor Series "threat".

I think you're overplaying the significance of this event and the possibility it's legit. I've seen high as fuck fourteen year old kids who wouldn't even KNOW how to use a gun or make a bomb shut down entire school districts with one phone call. It's not exactly hard in this day and age.

Simply basing my response off of the official response. Chris Christie is using the school closing in his speech as I type this. Like I said, terrorism works. You and I may be unafraid, but we're the exception right now. Roll your eyes, sure, but keep them open.

Simply basing my response off of the official response. Chris Christie is using the school closing in his speech as I type this. Like I said, terrorism works. You and I may be unafraid, but we're the exception right now. Roll your eyes, sure, but keep them open.

Well Chris Christie is a fucking moron who has zero political future outside of the role he currently has, so why would I care? My eyes are wide open, so is my MIND which is why I know when to laugh at a supposed "threat" and respect a serious one. Would honestly bet my unborn child that no terrorist attack happens to any LA school anytime remotely soon.

Well Chris Christie is a fucking moron who has zero political future outside of the role he currently has, so why would I care? My eyes are wide open, so is my MIND which is why I know when to laugh at a supposed "threat" and respect a serious one. Would honestly bet my unborn child that no terrorist attack happens to any LA school anytime remotely soon.

I wasn't clear. I brought up that it was mentioned in the debate because in my first sentence I mentioned the official response. It's awesome that you know better than everybody else, but this is a real issue.

You should work for the Department of Homeland Security, man. Save some lives.

[YOUTUBE]/watch?v=4v8fas6bx1M[/YOUTUBE]

Yeah look when shit like this gets taken seriously you know things are being taken way too seriously.
1. That video has satire in the title and it was treated as serious
2. Every time he scratches his neck he says "my neck is itchy"
3. He takes the piss out of journalists that compared australian soccer fans to terrorists just one week after the paris attacks

I wasn't clear. I brought up that it was mentioned in the debate because in my first sentence I mentioned the official response. It's awesome that you know better than everybody else, but this is a real issue.

You should work for the Department of Homeland Security, man. Save some lives.

Maybe I should if people are actually taking this seriously. I 100% meant it when I said I'd bet you my unborn children nothing happens. I'd promise to take a raging shit on my own father's gravestone if something actually happened. That's how confident I am that this story is nothing, because I've followed it. Well, that and if you're going to pull off a fucking major terrorist attack you don't warn people, let alone make a damn comedy video.

[YOUTUBE]/watch?v=4v8fas6bx1M[/YOUTUBE]

Yeah look when shit like this gets taken seriously you know things are being taken way too seriously.
1. That video has satire in the title and it was treated as serious
2. Every time he scratches his neck he says "my neck is itchy"
3. He takes the piss out of journalists that compared australian soccer fans to terrorists just one week after the paris attacks

Shhhhh, why spend five minutes to research a news story when you can just believe it's sensational headline, regardless of any actual truth? MAN ISIS IS GOING TO FUCKING RAPE YOUR DOG IN HIS SLEEP AND YOU WILL BE CURSED BY NAZI-INDOCTRINATED DOG-HUMAN HYBRIDS, IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT YOU SICK DEMOCRATIC COMMIE?!

No, but really, you should be as "worried" about this story as if you hadn't quite wiped your ass enough the last time you shit. That's about the seriousness here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back