• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Latest On The Future Of The Shield

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
A report put out by the Wrestling Observer Newsletter earlier today states that WWE does plan to break up The Shield. Over the past week, they look to have gotten back on the same page and while people have been expecting the split to happen anytime, there's no word on exactly when it's scheduled. With WrestleMania coming up, the most obvious assumption is that it happens there. Recent reports say that it's going to be an 8 match card, but I dunno if it means 8 matches on the main card plus another match for the kickoff show or the match on the kickoff show plus 7 on the main card. At any rate, there's no announcement on what The Shield will be involved in as of yet.

The report alleges that, as of right now, the plan is to push Roman Reigns as a top singles babyface while Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose comprise a heel tag team. Quite a while back, there were reports alleging that there was talk of keeping The Shield going with Mason Ryan replacing Reigns as the muscle of the group. The WON mentions nothing about that, so it may have been just backstage talk or something management was considering but opted against. I suppose it could happen, but I doubt it as there's been nothing said about it in a few months at least.

As many have speculated for several weeks now, The Shield are going to break up sooner rather than later and when that happens I fully expect Reigns to be the breakout star of the group. He's the natural babyface of the three and has that special factor about him that the WWE are going cease.

It makes sense to me. The Shield as a unit are great right now but they need to pull the trigger on Reigns and strike while the iron is hot. There is always a risk that they push somebody too early then don't follow up but I think people will get behind Reigns. I reckon they give him a lengthy run with the US title over the summer.

While I think that Rollins and Ambrose will make great singles guys I feel like they should hold off until after Reigns has had his push so that their singles runs aren't overshadowed by his. It also leaves the tag division with a strong team and gives them a future Ambrose vs. Rollins feud.

I'm no booker, but the way I would have it play out is to wait until after 'Mania and have Kane/The Authority place the Shield in a triple-threat match for the US title at Extreme Rules in an effort to fuck with them and cause divisions in the ranks. They can tease that The Shield are strong enough to withstand the efforts to disrupt them, but have Reigns take the belt off Ambrose causing the ire of Dean and the jealousy of Rollins.

That way you still get the triple-threat Shield match that everybody wants to see, gives Reigns and Ambrose beef and manage to keep Ambrose/Rollins as a unit.

I agree it will happen I just don't think anyone is any hurry. Fans like the Shield. Keeping them together as long as possible, as they would say in storyline, is "best for business". besides once they break up that's it. sure you could always reunite them in the future but that's going to look kind of goofy. I don't see a break up happening until after Summer Slam at the earliest.

About a month or so ago I was so ready for this. Now, I'm kinda wishing they keep them together just that little bit longer. There's been a largely positive response to the supposed face turn we saw on Raw, and I'd be curious to see them run as a face faction, if just for a short time. Guess it isn't really a face turn if this report is correct though. More a slap in the face to anyone, authority or not, who tries to influence what they do.

If the breakup does happen soon though, I'd personally prefer a full split. Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose are ridiculously talented in their own right. If Reigns goes on his own, I'll just get that 'not quite as cool anymore, but still cool' feeling for the remnants of The Shield. I'm a Reigns mark to the fullest, but I beg WWE to not just push Rollins and Ambrose to the side and let them become an afterthought.

I won't lie though, Reigns V Ambrose & Rollins is still a pretty mouthwatering feud.

While Mason Ryan is garbage for all I know from his last stint on the main roster that wasn't very good. It would make perfect sense to have Dean and Seth turn on Reigns and replace him with Mason, it help gets Mason over in some way, and keeps the team together. Kind of like how the Horsemen were always there but just had someone else join in. Same went with DX, NWO, and many other groups they all had a guy leave and someone replaced them. DX it was HBK leaving and Triple H takes over and replaces him with Xpac and NAO. With NWO it was Giant getting the boot.

I'm fully behind Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins staying together as a tag team for the time being. I fear that if all three members went their separate ways, at least one - maybe both - of the two would get lost in the shuffle, so to speak. Keeping them together ensures that they'll always be involved, and can hopefully add another strong presence to the tag team division (particularly with Cesaro and Jack Swagger set to go their separate ways).

Personally I am a little disappointed to hear about the breakup of the Shield. Obviously I'm not remotely surprised, as it's been rumored to be happening for some time now, but I'm still disappointed to see it happening so soon.

My preference would be to see a gradual face turn for the Shield as a unit. I don't mean a sappy, drink your milk and eat your vitamins sort of face unit, but rather, a bad ass, anti authority, attitude toting faction. I loved the interaction between the Shield and the Wyatt's and I wish that could have been prolonged for a little while longer. I would also like to see the Shield stand up to the Authority, refusing to do their bidding anymore. This would set up so many interesting scenarios. Then later on, after a suitable period of time of this face faction, Ambrose and Rollins could turn on Reigns, putting the face turn of Roman Reigns as a solo entity in full force. Admittedly, the projected breakup of the Shield will likely have the same end result, so it's all good. But my personal preference would be for the means of bringing it around to be slightly different.

I think the problem with The Shield being babyface is that it's a lot harder to book three babyfaces, together, than it is to book three heels. Aside from the Reigns/Rollins tag title run The Shield have pretty much always been booked as a three, which is easy (even when they're not feuding with The Wyatt Family) because it's in the nature of babyfaces to want to team up when the odds are stacked against them, and if there is no forthcoming help, well then it's in the nature of the heels to beat up the babyface in a handicap match anyway. Reverse the rolls and it becomes harder to book. A handicap match featuring three babyfaces against one heel isn't something that is going to sell, and it makes less sense for random heels to be teaming up against The Shield than it does babyfaces. So you're left with the obvious feud against The Wyatt Family, but after that it's difficult to continue to book them as a trio; I envisage it would likely become a two and a one, with Roman Reigns being the obvious 'one' and taking the spotlight from the rest of the group anyway.

Why do we have to break them up to become stars? They could be an alliance that backs each other up, not just forced to wrestle with each other every show. Also there's rumors of a six man tag title. Useless if they break up the shield

I agree it will happen I just don't think anyone is any hurry. Fans like the Shield. Keeping them together as long as possible, as they would say in storyline, is "best for business". besides once they break up that's it. sure you could always reunite them in the future but that's going to look kind of goofy. I don't see a break up happening until after Summer Slam at the earliest.

Yeah, it's so much more you can do with them. They could feud with the Wyatts again since the fans responded well to that. Feud with Big E, maybe finally getting the possible US/IC title unification storyline started, try to capture all the major belts in the WWE - Reigns pursues the WWE WHC Championship, or they could add a new member like Tamina Snuka to pursue the Divas Championship

Plan is for shield vs kane and nao. Don't like
The idea at all. Because after a great year for
The shield they get matched against NAO lol.
Also shield vs kane and ascension. Slightly better.
But to debut the ascension against one of the top
Forces in wwe with a loss or win is just wrong. Creative
Are getting worse.

Regards on mason Ryan being a poor performer is not his
Fault . His debut was good. Then creative screwed up
And made him job. Can easily be fixed. Regarding the shield
From mania onwards I do agree reigns getting pushed but
Not as a main scented. That is a stupid move. I agree
With a u.s.a title reign with fueds against shield members
And power houses such as a grace ryback,Titus, big e, sheamus,
Big show, rusev, a heel reinvented brodus clay. Topped with
A mania 31 show down against the rock or Batista. After
Mania 31 is when you push him as challenger. Let him build.
I also think wwe should push Rollins as a loner face who doesnt
Want any friends. Just goes out and puts on a great show.
Would like to see him in a one on one showdown orton
At mania 31 in a tlc match. Ambrose should be pushed as
One of the top heels in the company. Still prefer him as a leader
Though so I'd say have him the leader with 3 or 4 members
Of a new shield. They can Fued with reigns and rollins over the USA title
Up untill summerslam. I see a hell in cell match with shield vs Wyatt family
At mania 31 or one on one Ambrose vs Wyatt in hell in cell
At mania 31.

I think mania 30 should be triple threat with shield for USA
Title. Reigns picking up the win. Ambrose attacking with mason Ryan.
Rollins evens the odds. Next ppv have reigns/rollins vs
Ambrose/reigns . Have drew McIntyre yes, this is the way
To put drew over, have him tag with mason Ryan as a new
Member of the shield. Also have Cory graves and Tyler breez join.
And bo Dallas and Curtis axel should join the wyatts.

Mania 31

Wwe heavyweight
John cena vs kurt angle vs Daniel Bryan vs cesaro

Sting vs undertaker

Lesnar vs face ryback

Roman reigns vs the rock

Hell in the cell
Ambrose vs Wyatt or
Bray ,Harper,rowen,axel,Dallas
Vs
Ambrose,Ryan, McIntyre, graves,breez

Tlc
Orton vs Rollins

Wade barrett,Oliver gray, Danny birch, Adrianne Neville
Vs
Kofi Kingston,big e, mark Henry,Titus oniel

USA
Rusev vs swagger

Personally I am a little disappointed to hear about the breakup of the Shield. Obviously I'm not remotely surprised, as it's been rumored to be happening for some time now, but I'm still disappointed to see it happening so soon.

My preference would be to see a gradual face turn for the Shield as a unit. I don't mean a sappy, drink your milk and eat your vitamins sort of face unit, but rather, a bad ass, anti authority, attitude toting faction. I loved the interaction between the Shield and the Wyatt's and I wish that could have been prolonged for a little while longer. I would also like to see the Shield stand up to the Authority, refusing to do their bidding anymore. This would set up so many interesting scenarios. Then later on, after a suitable period of time of this face faction, Ambrose and Rollins could turn on Reigns, putting the face turn of Roman Reigns as a solo entity in full force. Admittedly, the projected breakup of the Shield will likely have the same end result, so it's all good. But my personal preference would be for the means of bringing it around to be slightly different.

Agreed. Same here.

I think after Mania, assuming DB wins the Title, the Authority's top brass(mainly HHH and his wife) should have to fight those within.

The Shield is against the second in command atm in Kane. DB is against HHH and the chosen Face, Orton.
Post-Mania, DB can have a programme with Batista.

With Shield going face, hopefully they would play some part in helping DB win at Mania, starting a post-Mania programme against HHH and his Autthority.

At some point during the feud, Ambrose and Rollins can be turned against Roman Reigns, essentially stacking the odds against him and letting him fight his way against the Authority culminating in a match vs HHH at SummerSlam.

As KB and some others have already mentioned; I really hope that when The Shield breaks up, it's done amicably. These guys are a great combo, but they're not the same type of stable as The Four Horsemen, they remind me more of The Von Erichs.

Some stables are a figure head, maybe an enforcer, and a young tag team. The Shield are individuals with a common interest, they are all potential stars of single's competition. While Roman Reigns is obviously the guy the WWE is betting on, Rollins and Ambrose don't rely on him to make themselves look better.

The idea of The Shield is popular enough to keep around, and I wouldn't have it any other way than with Rollins, Ambrose and Reigns. Every one of them made that gimmick immortal in the short amount of time they've had to perform.

this week SD they clue a match between shield vs kane and NAO at wm30. deam ambrose is the man who bails in shield at wm and split from shield. May be they put triple threat match at extreme rules.

Maybe drag it out a little longer like this:

Extreme Rules

Dean Ambrose vs. Seth Rollins for the US title, Ambrose retains. Then:

Payback

Dean Ambrose vs. Roman Reigns for the US title, Ambrose retains again. Then on RAW have Ambrose brag how he's the best member of the Shield, and Reigns and Rollins aren't happy about it, tell him he won by a fluke, etc. Kane tells them they have a 6-man tag team match and have Rollins and Reigns walk out on Ambrose. Not just walk up the ramp and stand there, but out of the arena. Have the Shield keep interfering and costing each other their matches, until they finally come to blows and book them in the Triple threat match for the US title at SummerSlam.

The problem I have with it is that Rollins and Ambrose are gonna look like afterthoughts as Reigns goes off skyrocketing and they are left working a bunch of teams that Rollins and Reigns have already beaten. Plus Rollins and Reigns have always seemed tight, so Rollins turning on him just doesn't feel right to me.

I think when the split comes it needs to be all 3 splitting and they can simply divert Rollins into a US title feud with Ambrose while they put Reigns into a feud with others that are part of the Authority, like Kane and definitely Orton, a perfect opponent for Reigns development into a main eventer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back