Late Night Talk Shows

Let-the-real-games-begin-Leno-vs-Letterman.jpg

In the United States, late night talk shows are some of the most popular programs on television. They provide comedy, while also giving the viewer insightful interviews with celebrities, athletes, politicians, etc. Since its earliest roots with the Ed Sullivan Show, until now, late night television has been an ever-evolving product. There have been a variety of different late night shows, from the Steve Allen Show, the Jack Paar Show, the Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson (and Ed McMahon), Late Night with David Letterman, the Arsenio Hall show, to today's shows such as the Late Show with David Letterman, the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Lopez Tonight, Conan, Jimmy Kimmel Live, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, and my personal favorite: the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. As is evident by that list, late night television has changed over the years, but for the better. It has expanded and is now on many different channels for hours at a time.

That being said, would you say that late night talk shows have become a "staple" of American culture?

I say yes. We have gotten so used to these guys being on TV that we wouldn't be able to go without them, in all likelihood. For me, it's just a habit now, I'll turn on whatever late night talk show I feel like watching and settle down. It's entertaining television later in the night, which is pretty rare on American TV. It actually focuses on current issues, just in a satirical and comedic way. It's just one of those things that has become so deep rooted in our culture, in my eyes, that we will really never be able to get rid of it... but why would we want to, anyway?

You know, sometimes I really wonder if the staple of American culture, as you would call it, would have any impact in the United Kingdom. The way people talk about Jay Leno and Jimmy Kimmel really gets me aggravated because we in the UK have nothing to relate to. We have no one that fills that gap and no one that can really say that they are king of the late night talk show. It annoys me because I do feel as though, if we had the right sort of character and show, then it would take shape rather nicely and would have a better place in the UK culture.

That being said, you don't really need to do a lot of work to see how much time and effort is given to late night talk shows and you have to believe that the influence that emanates from them, really makes them staples of the American culture. They have been going on longer than I have been alive and the material that is generated from them is just wonderfully quantifiable. These guys go out on stage every night with new material and as a fan of comedy, it is not hard to see why my envy for the Americans takes shape from time to time.

There is such a furore every time someone steps away from their position and it needs to be filled. It takes a special person to take up that position and make it successful. A gift that only so many possess and that is why it has been so successful. The men and women are made for these roles and people gravitate towards them.

Late night talks shows are among the most insulting programs you can watch on television, right after Eveangelical Church shows and Glenn Beck. The hosts of these shows range from fairly amusing to just plain stupid, and they capitalize on the fact that most people will laugh at the word "booger" at midnight so they replace good material with goofy antics and jokes. No person is guiltier of this than Conan O'Brien, whose new show just continues to prove to me that this guy doesn't know funny from a haircut, and desperately needs both these things.

After the hosts warm you up with some jokes that would make Dane Cook cringe, the real show begins as they try to sell you shit. They'll bring out Reese Witherspoon and try to get you to see her new movie, not because it looks good or interesting, but because she's such a charming young lady and that red dress is really making her tits pop! Then they go to commercial, but don't change the channel because when we come back Dave is going to be tossing watermelons off the roof while having his leg humped by a cheetah cub with Jack Hannah watching! So you sit through five minutes of commercials selling you a better razor, a new car, hair coloring products for men, and adult diapers, and then you get to see Letterman drop shit off the roof (I did this when I was in Middle School, and I can tell you it's much more fun when you do the actual dropping rather than just watching) and perhaps get slightly strangled by an African Boa Constrictor as Jack Hannah sits and assures that his life is in no danger.

Then they finish off the hour of advertising power with a band that's playing a new song that nobody really likes (instead of a classic that everyone wants to hear) off of their new album that needs a boost in sales.

And there is my hyper-cynical view of Late Night Talk Shows.

Have they become a staple of American culture? Staple is a strong word, it insinuates that they are a cornerstone of entertainment, and I don't think that's the case. I would, however, say they're a mainstay. People like the cheap laughs, and they especially like seeing celebrities act like everyday people. Did you ever wonder why the typical late night show setup is a couch and a coffee table? It's the typical living room setup, and it makes people feel like Reese Witherspoon is sitting in their living room on their couch, sipping coffee and telling stories about how her cousin Jim Bob used to try to steal her bikini tops at the town pool.

I long for the day that they put something better on during these late night garbage dumps, but that day won't come for a long time.

There was an interview I listened to with the guy that wrote "The Late Shift", which is the book about Jay Leno and NBC screwing David Letterman out of The Tonight Show. In the interview the author was suggesting that late night is becoming too expensive and would eventually have to change. It suggested getting rid of the secondary show and expanding the first show to 90 minutes.

I was offended by this idea, feeling like they were destroying a formula that I've known my entire late night watching life. So at that point yeah, I'd say it's a staple for my life.

The Tonight Show, Meet the Press and the Today Show are shows that have been around for 50 years or more, or as that writer put it, they are shows that go back to the beginning of television. I'd say that's an American staple.

I have to agree with JGlass on this one, most Late Night Talk Shows are fucking unbearable. Conan has had a moment or 2 as does Craig Ferguson, but for the most part, it's all just shit. On a side note, Why does George Lopez get the ratings he does? There are plenty of more deserving people that should have a fucking show but somehow people just love this talentless twat. I'd rather watch Carson Daly.

However, though it doesn't follow the format of the traditional Late Shows, I think The Daily Show With Jon Stewart is leaps and bounds better than anything else on after 10PM. He has to have one of the best comedy writing teams in television and it really shows. He usually has one guest who is mostly unknown, but the interview is still usually way more entertaining than anything on the other Late Shows. Colbert is pretty funny too, but his shtick is getting pretty old in my opinion.

There was an interview I listened to with the guy that wrote "The Late Shift", which is the book about Jay Leno and NBC screwing David Letterman out of The Tonight Show. In the interview the author was suggesting that late night is becoming too expensive and would eventually have to change. It suggested getting rid of the secondary show and expanding the first show to 90 minutes.

I was offended by this idea, feeling like they were destroying a formula that I've known my entire late night watching life. So at that point yeah, I'd say it's a staple for my life.

The Tonight Show, Meet the Press and the Today Show are shows that have been around for 50 years or more, or as that writer put it, they are shows that go back to the beginning of television. I'd say that's an American staple.

Yeah, I have to agree with this sentiment.

For me, as an outsider looking in at the community, you can see that these shows actually make a lot of people happy on a nightly basis and that cannot be understated. Also, when you add that to the fact that they have been running for longer than I have been alive, you can see that there is definitely a feeling of invincibility about them. To me, It seems as though they add some rhythm to people's lives too. I mean, you always know where you are if Jay Leno is smiling down the camera at you and that is another thing that I really like about the shows.

Don't get me wrong, I have not been exposed to these shows for as long as you guys or seen them in such quantity but as far as what I have seen, they have always been damn funny and entertaining. I mean, what else are you going to watch at 11 o'clock at night? I would love to have a range of comedians giving me new material every night. For me, it is definitely better than the dribble that we have to deal with in the UK. There is nothing remotely like what you guys have and perhaps my eyes are just green with envy that I am such an advocate for these shows.

As far as it being a staple goes, perhaps it is not as popular an idea as I thought it was. However, I would still say that it definitely has a place in the routine and hearts of Americans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back