Lamenting The State Of Affairs In The US's Capital (For Washington Sports Fans)

Cena's Little Helper

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Obviously, Santa didn't read my Christmas list this year (or I've just been too naughty). Shall I make a list of all the horrible things that have befallen the Washington, D.C., sports world? Most of you probably don't give a shit, but this is thread is for the few of us that do to commiserate with each other:

The Washington Redskins: I don't even know where to begin with this one...just absolutely horrible all around. Sure, we've made some boneheaded moves (primarily, mortgaging our future by trading draft picks for veterans), but has there ever been a team so unlucky in its acquisitions? Save for a few, all of our free agency moves have turned out to be busts and all of the high-profile players that we trade draft picks for are one-and-done after an underwhelming season (well, this has only really happened once, with Jason Taylor, but I won't be surprised if McNabb is elsewhere next season). As for the draft? Sure, we've done well with defensive players and with Trent Williams, but what about Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly? If it wasn't for Fred Davis, 2008 would easily have been the Redskins' worst draft in recent memory.

Ultimately, the Redskins have had just 4 playoff appearances since their 1991 Superbowl win (3 of those coming from Joe Gibbs)...we're heading towards Red Sox status here, homies. As of right now, I'm just hoping I can see the 'Skins play in one more Super Bowl before I die.

The Washington Capitals: I don't watch hockey, but I sympathize with all the men and women I pass in the street who wear Capitals paraphernalia and have their heads down. Have they extended their losing streak to nine games yet? If so, I wouldn't be shocked in the least.

The Washington Wizards: All that money given to Gilbert Arenas and what do we have to show for it? An inconsistent and aging power forward in Rashard Lewis :disappointed:. While I know most of you are just relieved to have Arenas, a constant headache and troublemaker, out of Washington, it's important to remember that the people this team trades seem to have a penchant for bouncing back to their original form or becoming the All Star caliber players they were meant to be (see Hamilton, Rip; Wallace, Ben; Wallace, Rasheed; Webber, Chris). No doubt Arenas will have a rebirth of sorts (and also redemption) in Orlando. Hopefully the Wizards manage to keep Wall for more than two seasons before getting trade happy again.

The Washington Nationals: I don't know much about baseball. From what everyone's told me, we've signed a very good player in Jayson Werth to a sum that's usually reserved for the elite (if this was a ploy to show Cliff Lee what we could offer, it obviously didn't work). Bryce Harper won't be ready for a couple of more years and pitchers rarely ever rebound from Tommy John surgery...Strasburg, please be one of those rarities.

All right, I've said my peace. So, if you're a Washingtonian or a fan of any one of these teams, come in here to get what you need off of your chest. Also, please answer the following question: When it comes to sports, have there ever been darker times in the Washington area?

The Wizards will be shit for a few years, sure, but they've got some great young players. John Wall is already a good PG,when he becomes more of a scoring threat he will be great. Nick Young also has tons of potential, and Hinrich is a solid defender and great shooter.

McGee is another guy with loads of upside, he's already among the league leaders in FG% and blocks, and if Yi ever gets his shit together there's a solid front line to go along with the backcourt. Also, the Wizards will probably get another lottery pick, and the draft looks to be stacked next year, so I see bright things in the future of the Wizards.

I don't give a shit about the other Washington teams.....

Ok, this shouldn't be too hard.

I'm a die hard Redskins' fan, but I don't think that's a surprise to anyone. At any rate, I don't know what to think. I've heard this before when I talk about Snyder and his terrible ownership, and that about how he was a lifelong fan, his dad was a fan, he became a self-made billionare, bought the team as a surprise for his dad, and that he's really just a fan. While that's all well and good, it only works when you know what you're doing. And he doesn't. Every signing he has made has either been of an overrated player or a player who is past their prime. I wouldn't mind if some of them actually worked out, but the problem is that none of them do.

See, a lot of fans of other team may feel like their franchise is bad, but I don't know if any team is as bad as the Redskins. I was like 4 the last time they won a Super Bowl. It seems like every year they have (we) have some type of expectations and they fall flat on their face. This organization is full of dysfunction and I don't know when this will be fixed. Redskins' fans are diehards so no matter what, they are going to show up, support the team. But its getting hard when nothing is working.

Yeah, Washington sports definintely suck right now. The Nationals seem to be in the worst shape at the moment with Strasburg's injury and the fact that in the MLB is you don't have a ton of money it's really hard to win. The Redskins are a mess as well. If you don't have a QB, you can't win. Look forward to Cam Newton or Jack Locker next year.

The Wizards won't be good in the immeadiate future, but Wall is the real deal and MaGee has some potential. You need another piece or two though, which you could get in the draft this year since you have another high pick.

The Caps will be just fine. Sure, they're on a losing streak, but they're still a playoff team for sure. What you have to be most concerned about is Ovetchkin's lack of ability to win a playoff series consistently.

The Nationals have a bright future. Getting Bryce Harper was a great thing, as he's as good a shortstop prospect to come around in a long time. Losing Strasburg for likely the 2011 season will certainly hurt, but this team should be set at key positions in the future. You can never have enough left handed pitchers, and by all accounts, Sammy Solis(your 2nd rounder in '10) is a good one. Still expect to suck for the next few years.

The Redskins are a mess, and that starts at the top. Its been awhile since Ive seen a coach have as many public run-ins with key players that Mike Shanahan has. The public relations nightmare that is Albert Haynesworth will likely never play again for the Skins, which is a travesty considering how great he was in Tennessee and the rediculous amount of money they gave him. The good news is that both Ryan Torain and Keiland Williams both have emerged as viable running backs for the future provided they stay healthy. You can forget about a McNabb return next year being that he was benched for Rex freakin Grossman.

Its probably not much of a reprieve since youre not a hockey fan, but you've got a great thing going in Washington. The team has been slumping lately, but theres just too much damn talent on that team for them not win consistently. Alexander Semin has emerged as a top goal scorer. Ovechkin hasn't put up the numbers he usually does, but he won't be shut down forever. The only problem that has haunted the Caps and likely will continue to is the lack of goaltending needed in the playoffs to win. Michael Neuwith and Semyon Varlamov simply aren't good enough to carry a team to the Stanley Cup. This team has a good flux of veterans, role players, and stars(Ovechkin, Semin, Nic Backstrom, Mike Green) that their offense certainly can carry them a long way. The defense is young but very talented, and giving underrated veteran defenseman Jeff Erskine an extension was a nice move. They would have beaten the top team in the NHL(points wise) last night in my Penguins if it werent for Marc Andre Fleury being rediculous.

As for the Wizards, there isnt much to say that hasnt been said. John Wall is already emerging as a top point guard, but there isnt enough consistent scoring or defending on this team for them to be competitive nightly. The nice thing is that another lottery pick in a LOADED draft will likely benefit the Wizards immensely. Major mistake in dumping Gilbert Arenas for just Rashard Lewis however. He's old at 31 and 13 year veteran and his numbers have dipped considerably the past few years.

So for you, not being a hockey fan, its a sad state of affairs indeed being a Washington sports fan right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back