• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Koscheck says he's in new UFC Co-Main Event

bealzer1010

Stay Blunted
Tuesday, October 27, 2009
by Sherdog.com Staff

Josh Koscheck announced Tuesday on his Twitter account that he will be fighting Nov. 21 in Las Vegas in a co-main event bout.

“I got some big fight news for me,” he wrote. “I am fighting nov 21 in Vegas. Co main event!!! Haha it's on baby!!!!”

Following Brock Lesnar’s withdrawal from his Nov. 21 UFC 106 bout against Shane Carwin, the scheduled co-main event, Tito Ortiz vs. Forrest Griffin, became the main event. Reports surfaced later that the UFC was looking to bolster the card with a new co-main, and Koscheck suggests the promotion has done so.

Although he was rumored to be fighting Mike Pierce next on an upcoming UFC Fight Night card, Koscheck will likely have a new opponent to join him in a co-headlining roll at UFC 106.

Koscheck stopped Frank Trigg at UFC 103 in September to rebound from an upset loss to Paulo Thiago in February. Sherdog.com’s No. 5-ranked welterweight, he has 11 UFC wins and four losses.

Ill take another Koscheck since he made such short work of Trigg and didnt see him fight to long. Question is who now?? Do you scrap the Condit/Daley fight for the now heavily stacked UFC 108 and let one of them fight him? Or Anthony Johnson since his fight only went 20 seconds?? Id like Serra to take this fight but doubt he would on short notice and I think he is gonna fight Trigg! I highly doubt they would go with Mike Pierce since that does seem better on a Fight Night card!

I would choose Anthony Johnson to fight him, It can go very fast if these two come out blazing since Koscheck's stand up is so much better now. It just seems to make the most since to me to have Johnson to take this fight

Anthony Johnson is a GREAT idea and certainly something I would personally love to see. However, if I were a betting man.... then I'd say his opponent is Matt Hughes.

I love, love, LOVE Rumble, but he's not that big of a draw just yet. However, Matt Hughes? Pssh... him vs. Josh Koscheck would get a shit load of fans' interest. Mine as well. Hell, the shit talking leading up to the fight alone would be worth it.

But, if it ends up you're right and it turns out to be Anthony Johnson who is facing Koscheck come UFC 106, then I certainly wouldn't be disappointed. I wouldn't mind Karo Parisyan or Matt Serra, either. But I just think Hughes makes the most sense, if he accepts the fight that is, which might not be very likely since he's been acting like a complete puss these past 2 years or so.

It's confirmed:

Josh "Patty Mayonnaise" Koscheck vs. Anthony "Rumble" Johnson has been confirmed for UFC 106's co-main event.

Welterweights Josh Koscheck and Anthony Johnson have agreed to square off in the co-main event of UFC 106 on November 21 in Las Vegas, according to Sherdog.

Koscheck revealed on Twitter Tuesday that he’d be co-headlining the pay-per-view event, and while initial speculation focused on Matt Hughes, the knockout artist Johnson was ultimately tapped for the short-notice addition to the event.

Johnson is quickly becoming one of my favorites, and I cannot stand Koscheck. That being said, Hughes is a major pussy, with him not being willing to take fights in fear of being embarrassed. I remember when Koscheck called him out, and Hughes laughed it off saying he should be calling out GSP instead. If Hughes were a proud fighter, he absolutely should have taken Koscheck up on it and shut him up. I still think that Serra would have beaten him too if he hadn't fought like such a pussy in that fight.

Either way, I think Johnson KO's Koscheck and this is the fight that puts him on the map.

Looks like bealzer1010 was correct on his call. Good job, man.

Anyway, I'm very excited about this. I'm a HUGE Anthony Johnson fan, as I've made clear quite a few times. I think the guy is just awesome, and he's very, very fun to watch.

As far as Koscheck though... I used to absolutely hate the man. His antics on the Ultimate Fighter and before/after his 2nd fight with Diego Sanchez... there was no one in MMA I hated more (shit not even in professional wrestling either). However, he's earned my respect since then. He's become much less of a douchebag, and he's worked hard to improve his stand-up and become an exciting fighter to watch, where as before he was just an asshole, boring wrestler who did nothing but Lay 'N Pray.

With all that said, I guarantee Josh Koscheck gets knocked out in the 1st Round in this fight. Guarantee it. Koscheck, while he has a lot of power in his hands for Welterweight, I just don't see him getting inside and ever connecting with the overhand right he LOVES to throw. Rumble just has way too much reach, and is just too smart in the ring for him to fall for anything Kos throws at him. And even if Koscheck wanted to take it to the ground, Johnson works with some of the best wrestlers in the World, and he's VERY athletic, so I don't think Kos would be able to pull that off either.

There's absolutely no way Koscheck wins this fight. It's going to be Rumble vs. Tommy Spear all over again.

This fight just proves that Josh Koschek is the official gate keeper of the division. Rumble is a young, tough, up and comer, one whose style will garner him fans in spades. I mean, he used to be on Fight Nights and TUF finales. Now, he's on back to back PPV cards. On this one, it's one of the featured fights.

He's getting this fight to prove he belongs at the top of the division. Once he wins (and he'll win, bank on it. He's a better striker, and he's a wrestler in nature, so Kos' wrestling will be nullified to a degree. Rumble wins a stand up battle literally every time), Dana is going to start some title shot chatter. He might not get a title shot for his next fight after this one, but he'll get another guy (probably Matt Hughes) that he should be able to beat in the upper tier of the division. His title shot will come within the next 6 months or so.

That being said. A Rumble title shot makes as much sense as any right now. It appears GSP has pretty much cleared out the division, so a new, interesting opponent like Rumble would be good for everybody involved.

Thanx JMT!

So it looks like Im the only one pro Koscheck so far, mainly because were both from Buffalo
I know in reality Johnson is probably gonna win by KO. If that does go as we all pretty much think, I think BaconBits is on the right track with his prediction of Johnson getting a title shot! Definitely a great fight to have right before Ortiz/Griffin should get everyone there and everyone home watching pumped up!

Great fight! Both men have shown they have knockout power, but I have to give it to Johnson. He's such a talented and exciting fighter, who has had some of the most memorable knockouts I've seen. He has incredible speed and power, it's just not human. While I think Koscheck is a great fighter himself, this one goes to Rumble. Either by KO or TKO.

The winner of this fight should definitely receive a tite contendorship.

Say what you will about Josh Koscheck's mouth, but the guy has BRASS balls. He will fight anyone, anywhere, doesn't matter how much notice he gets. He works his ass off, and usually puts up a pretty damn good fight. While i think he should think a little longer before he says anything, i love the guy's passion in the octagon and i love his will to win. Now, I would've preferred to see Josh v. Matt Hughes, but Anthony Johnson's KO power will give Koscheck a run for his money. I think Josh has the edge on the ground and Anthony in Kickboxing so the winner will be whoever can dictate the pace and control the opponent. Anthony is a taller guy so i think he'll be able to keep Josh away and beat him standing up.

Oh man I can't wait for this fight!.Kinda more hyped for this one than Titos return the reason being is I just can't wait for Anthony "Rumble" Johnson too just destroy that bitch Koscheck!..KO round 1 winnner Anthony "Rumble" Johnson!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back