• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Knox verdict overturned, freed from murder conviction.

LSN80

King Of The Ring
To great controversy, Amanda Knox was freed by the same Italian courts that sentenced her, along with then boyfriend Raffael Sallacito, to 25 years in prison apiece due to the sexual assault and murder of Knox' flatmate, Meredith Kurcher.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/03/world/europe/italy-knox-appeal/index.html?hpt=wo_c1

For those not familar, Ill attempt to sum up the events that lead to Knox' conviction. Knox and Kurcher were both exchange students at the University of Foreigners, both studying Italian and creative writing there. On the afternoon of Novermber 2nd, 2007, Kurcher's body was found in her bedroom at her flat by another roommate and police, having been robbed, sexually assaulted, then stabbed to death.

Knox was formally charged for the murder of Kurcher after being interrogated by police. In her statement, she first said she was with Sallacito at his flat, and became worried when she attempted to call Kurcher, and got no answer. In what was called to be a grueling 14 hour interrogation(where her civil rights were later determined to have been violated as she wasn't read her rights, given a lawyer, or an a interpreter.) In the course of the same interrogation, Knox claimed to have been home and had to cover her ears to block out Kurcher's scream. She accused her boss, club owner Patrick Lumumba, of the murder. Knox later retracted her accusation of Lumumba and was charged with defemation when Lumumba's checked out. Knox later stated:

"Police pressure led me to accuse an innocent man.I am not what they say I am -- perverse, violent. ... I haven't murdered. I haven't raped. I haven't stolen".

Knox was depicted by the police as promiscuous, manipulative, and a drug addict by the prosecution. Her alibi also failed to check out. She claimed she was at boyfriend Sallacito's flat, smoking marijuana, watching the French film Amelie and making love. But Sallacito claimed he couldn't recall if Knox was with him that evening. In my opinion, even if Sallacito's memory was hazy from drugs, he would certainly remember if Knox had been with him such an important night. Even more suspicion was placed upon the couple due to the tracking of both's computer and cell phone activity. Sallecito claimed he had used his computer to download Amelie, and Knox claimed she had called Kurcher that evening out of worry for her. Computer record showed no activity between 9.10pm on Nov 1, and 5.32am the next morning — the time frame in which the murder took place. Phone records contradicted Knox' claim of having called Kurcher, showing both turned off their mobile phones on the night of the murder, from around 8.40pm, and turned them back on at around 6am, inviting further suspicion.

Finally, police accused the pair of staging the murder scene. A bedroom belonging to one of Miss Kercher’s Italian flatmates was ransacked on the night of the murder, with a window smashed with a rock. But police said the break-in was staged - broken glass from the window was found on top of clothes scattered on the floor, suggesting the window was broken after the contents of the room were messed up. Prosecutors accused Knox and her boyfriend of staging the break-in to make the killing look like a burglary that had turned into rape and murder.

So with the lies, how was Knox' conviction possibly overturned?

From the Seattle Times:
Police found absolutely no DNA evidence to connect either Knox or Sallacito for the The prosecution claimed that Knox’s DNA was on the handle of the presumed murder weapon, a kitchen knife, and Kercher’s genetic material on the blade, linking the American to the killing. They also said that Sollecito’s DNA was found on the clasp of Kurcher's bra, which had been cut or torn off the bra, proving that he took part in the attack too. But a review of the evidence by two independent experts from La Sapienza University in Rome found that the DNA traces were too low to be reliable and so small that they could not be retested. The bra clasp was only found six weeks after the initial crime scene investigation, by which time it had been kicked around the floor of Miss Kercher’s bedroom, leading to a high risk of contamination.

Further, Ive seen no argument of true motive for Knox or Sallacito. Another man, Rudy Guede, was definitively convicted of being the rapist and the killer. In their final arguments, the prosecutor painted a picture in which a sex game and long-running hatred led to murder.Prosecutors said tensions between Knox and Miss Kercher had reached boiling point over disagreements about housework, hygiene and boyfriends. They claimed Knox was driven to rage by jealousy towards her British flatmate. But again, it's difficult to see Knox being lead to kill over relatively minor differences, and no motive whatsoever for Sallacito. As I said, Guede had already been convicted in a seperate trial, where DNA evidence was found on Kurcher and the knife that belonged to Guede.

Finally, the jury seemed to find reasonable doubt based on the discrepancies. No witnesses, the false confession ruled under durress, or the discrepancies over the murder weapon. The defence said that when Knox confessed to being in the house on the night of the murder and could remember hearing Miss Kercher scream, she was traumatised and acting under extreme psychological pressure after an all night interrogation by police. Or perhaps it was Knox's impassioned final speech:
"I am not what they say I am -- perverse, violent. ... I haven't murdered. I haven't raped. I haven't stolen,"I am innocent. Raffaele is innocent. This was a tragic event: Meredith was my friend. People always ask 'who is Amanda Knox? I am the same person I was four years ago. ... The only thing that now separates me from four years ago is my suffering.

In 4 years, I've lost my friends in the most terrible and unexplainable way. My trust in the authorities and the police has been damaged. I had to face charges that were totally unfair, without any basis. And I am paying with my life for something I haven't done."

Regardless of why, the jury found reasonable doubt to overturn both convictions. I followed this story closely four years ago, and I was convinced Knox was guilty. But I do see the reasonable doubt here, and do understand and believe there was sufficient doubt. Being familar with the case, I do
still believe Knox to be guilty, but the correct decision was made to free here. Let's see what you think:

How familar are you with the case? Do you believe there was sufficient reasonable doubt for her go free?

Looking at the discrepancies between Knox' stories, there seemed to be quite a few lies, especially considering uncertainty over where Knox was at the time, her accusation of the club owner, and the discrepancies between cell and computer records. Why would someone innocent tell so many lies?

Based upon what you've read or your knowledge of the story, do you believe Knox is guilty? Why or why not?

Any other thoughts or discussion are welcome here.

this is a really simple answer. When it comes to court, it isn't what you know, it's what you can prove. I don't know what the standard for conviction is in Italy, but in the USA, the chances she would have been convicted at all would have been small. There simply wasn't enough valid evidence to reach a guilty verdict. That does not mean she didn't do it, it just means the prosecution did not prove it's case well enough. You can't convict someone based on raw instinct, gut feelings and deep suspicion. You have to convict someone based on the evidence, and if there isn't enough to prove their guilt, you have to let them go. I think the appeals court overturning of the original decision was correct. Based on what I have read, the prosecution's case was weak, to say the least.

She is as guilty as sin, although of what exactly I am uncertain. I am not completely convinced that she was actively involved in the killing but I believe she was involved in the shenanigans leading up to the murder, the cover up and the subsequent false accusations and lies. If that makes her complicit in the actual murder then so be it.

Not sure I completely buy into the whole accusation of her being a sexual deviant. It is the typical media/lawyers trick of darkening the image of a person involved although it is pretty easy to darken those involved with this case given the crime and its circumstance. Iit could easily be that she was just a silly little girl caught up in a situation beyond her control. Should stupidity and timidity allow her to get away with involvement in a heinous crime? No.

Based on what I have read, the prosecution's case was weak, to say the least.

From what I have read, the prosecution and the police made a complete hash.

Looking at the discrepancies between Knox' stories, there seemed to be quite a few lies, especially considering uncertainty over where Knox was at the time, her accusation of the club owner, and the discrepancies between cell and computer records. Why would someone innocent tell so many lies?

When a suspect is under interrogation, they try to cast themselves in the best light. Often, this involves trying to anticipate where the interrogator is going with his line of questioning. What the interrogator does is try to fire questions quickly and relentlessly, hoping to trip up the suspect into telling a lie. Once he's succeeded in doing that, the suspect often has to tell more lies to justify the first one. Sometimes, the whole story unravels.....but often not. It just muddies the waters enough to make for an "interesting" trial.

As Judge Judy says: "If you tell the truth, you don't have to have a good memory.".....meaning that you don't have to remember the previous lies to keep your story straight if you tell the truth in the first place.

It's possible that Knox is innocent and tripped herself up with her version of what she was doing the night of the murder. Once she lied about having called her roommate on the phone, her goose was cooked. She had to augment that story with other inconsistencies (or outright lies) and it led to her conviction.

The true story of what happened that evening will probably remain hidden forever. The real story undoubtedly has factors that were never brought to light in the two trials; maybe Knox, her boyfriend, and that man who was convicted all acted together; I saw nothing that suggested that possibility raised in either trial.

As I was speculating in another topic about murder, someday there will be a foolproof lie detector test. None of these illogical stories, none of these acquittals based on technicalities......and no more of this "reasonable doubt" garbage. The suspect will be asked: Did you do it or did you not?.....and the whole criminal justice system will be changed for the good.

Knox is hiding something. I think she might have done it. If you were innocent then why would you tell so many lies? Simple. It is because she is sti hiding information. Stories that are untrue often start contradicting themselves and whatever she may be hiding needs to be found out. She acted very suspicious and while it sucks that she lost friends over this incident, if she was completely innocent she should have just been honest and now told lies or made false accusations. I did not follow this story when it first happened, but based on what I know so far I think she might be guilty. We should wait and see what happens if they find out more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back