Klunderbunker for Administrator

Slyfox696

Excellence of Execution
KB, it is no secret most of the forum considers you the best candidate for the vacant Administrator spot. You have been on full Staff longer than any of the other candidates, you are obviously very dedicated to the forum, and you get along with most people. However, you know all about your good qualities, so I will focus on my concerns of making you an Administrator.

Just like I would have with anybody, there are several things you and I will not agree on, when it comes to small stuff; it's normal. However, there are two major concerns I have about you as Administrator.

1) Impartiality - This is a big one in my mind about you. I worry that if you become an Administrator, I will have to spend time discussing with you fair ways to treat people. I go off on people on the forums a lot, and there are people I can't stand, but the one thing I think I do very well is treat everyone in a way which my personal opinion of them does not come into play. Sure, there will always be instances where a poster will upset me, and I'll react, but it never happens that someone gets banned or imprisoned just for upsetting me. This is not something I feel confident you can do. I think sometimes you take the forum too seriously, and thus, if given the power, you would punish people just for upsetting you, and not because they truly broke a rule or truly deserved it. I do not believe you have yet developed the ability to handle criticism and insults, without resorting to a show of authority or intimidation.

Additionally, I worry about your ability to remain impartial with Staff. It's no secret your good relationships with a couple of members of Staff, and I think in a situation where objective reasoning would be needed, you would be more inclined to go with the suggestion put forth by a friend, and not what would be truly best for the forum. This includes situations about how the forum is run, who is on Staff, who remains on Staff, etc. Just as an example, you know a while ago I demoted HBK-aholic from G-Mod to regular Mod, because, to be frank, she just was not doing the job like a G-Mod should, and hadn't for over a year. I don't think you would have ever been able to handle that situation because HBK-aholic is a good friend to you, which is certainly understandable, but at the same time, makes it difficult for you to do your job. There will be many times as an Administrator where you are going to make people unhappy, even people you like and respect...I worry about your ability to handle that.

2) Working Together - The other main thing I worry about with you is the ability for you and me to work together. It's no secret either that you and I don't always see eye-to-eye about the way things should be done, and we have had some wars in the past. I don't want to bring on a new Administrator, just to argue with him incessantly about the way things should be done. It just does not appeal to me. Now, like I mentioned before, I would like for the Administrator responsibilities to be split, but there will be instances where we may not see eye to eye. IC25 and I had a great relationship in this, where we would normally support each other's suggestion as long as there wasn't anything atrociously wrong with it, but I'm not sure you and I could do that the way IC25 and I did. I am afraid the two of us would disagree so often about things, stuff just wouldn't get done. And then that does nothing but frustrate the regular Staff as well, because they wait on rulings that do not get made.

Those are the two major concerns I have, or at least the ones I can think of right now. If I think of any others, I'll post them here as well. You may respond to this if you wish, and say whatever it is you wish to say. This is like an interview, so treat it as such.

Also, Lee and D-Man, feel free to add anything you think I may have forgotten, or anything you think is important to note, whether it is in support of KB or against. I will post my comments on each of you as well, eventually.

Also, I would like to point out that less than 10 seconds after I created this thread, KB was already in here reading it. That's more like the KB I've expected throughout this process. ;)

Quick question: do you just want me to reply to those or am I allowed to point out a strength of my own in here?

This is strange. When I was replying to this I accidentally closed the tab and had to start over (make that twice now). The same thing happened when I first applied for the position. Weird.

1) Impartiality - This is a big one in my mind about you. I worry that if you become an Administrator, I will have to spend time discussing with you fair ways to treat people. I go off on people on the forums a lot, and there are people I can't stand, but the one thing I think I do very well is treat everyone in a way which my personal opinion of them does not come into play. Sure, there will always be instances where a poster will upset me, and I'll react, but it never happens that someone gets banned or imprisoned just for upsetting me. This is not something I feel confident you can do. I think sometimes you take the forum too seriously, and thus, if given the power, you would punish people just for upsetting you, and not because they truly broke a rule or truly deserved it. I do not believe you have yet developed the ability to handle criticism and insults, without resorting to a show of authority or intimidation.

To this I would ask when have I actually used my power or authority to gain the upper hand in an argument (as in "I win because I'm the G-Mod" or "I can ban you and end this now" etc). Also, I would ask you when I've used my authority inappropriately. While it may have happened on occasion, I would think that the vast majority of the time I have been fair in my actions. If not, I'd like to see proof otherwise.

Additionally, I worry about your ability to remain impartial with Staff. It's no secret your good relationships with a couple of members of Staff, and I think in a situation where objective reasoning would be needed, you would be more inclined to go with the suggestion put forth by a friend, and not what would be truly best for the forum. This includes situations about how the forum is run, who is on Staff, who remains on Staff, etc. Just as an example, you know a while ago I demoted HBK-aholic from G-Mod to regular Mod, because, to be frank, she just was not doing the job like a G-Mod should, and hadn't for over a year. I don't think you would have ever been able to handle that situation because HBK-aholic is a good friend to you, which is certainly understandable, but at the same time, makes it difficult for you to do your job. There will be many times as an Administrator where you are going to make people unhappy, even people you like and respect...I worry about your ability to handle that.

The answer I would give to this is simple: FTS. Very recently, as in within the last maybe two weeks or so, I made a thread in the GMBR asking if FTS belonged on the staff any longer. I would certainly consider FTS one of my friends on here and I can't imagine he would say otherwise. In that situation while I loved having him as a member of the staff, I realized he hadn't been pulling his weight and I brought it up in the place it was supposed to be brought up in, despite what I think of FTS from a social perspective. (sorry if this as coming off as far too formal. Just how it comes out in my head)

2) Working Together - The other main thing I worry about with you is the ability for you and me to work together. It's no secret either that you and I don't always see eye-to-eye about the way things should be done, and we have had some wars in the past. I don't want to bring on a new Administrator, just to argue with him incessantly about the way things should be done. It just does not appeal to me. Now, like I mentioned before, I would like for the Administrator responsibilities to be split, but there will be instances where we may not see eye to eye. IC25 and I had a great relationship in this, where we would normally support each other's suggestion as long as there wasn't anything atrociously wrong with it, but I'm not sure you and I could do that the way IC25 and I did. I am afraid the two of us would disagree so often about things, stuff just wouldn't get done. And then that does nothing but frustrate the regular Staff as well, because they wait on rulings that do not get made.

Very simple question in return: when is the last time we had an argument that lasted more than maybe a post apiece? We've both mellowed a good bit since then and as far as the split that you've suggested, I would have no problem with that for the simple reason of I don't have the slightest clue as to how the technical side of this place works. I'm more than willing to try to learn it if needed, but as you said this is more your area of expertise than mine which is just fine. I'd think of it as a case of too many cooks spoil the soup or whatever that expression is.

You and I simply don't fight as much as we used to, and when I do disagree with you, I am less argumentative about it. Case in point being the Cage. I was mostly against it at first but said that I would give it a try before I made an actual protest about it. It turned out to be more or less fine, making an argument mostly pointless and a waste of time. My problem with you used to be that I thought you were telling us (me in particular) taht we didn't know how to do our jobs, much like Sidious. That aspect of your personality has either been greatly reduced or you've mellowed (which is a good thing as the forums have run much more smoothly since). Either way, you and I have not had anywhere near as many major arguments in a long while, which I would think is a sign that we work far better together than we used to.

As for my case for myself, I would ask this: of all the official tasks I've been given around here over the years, how many of them have I not succeeded (more or less) at? My infractions and mod actions have gone up in the past few months I believe. I have been quite steady and reliable for the Weekly Review. I ran the WZ tournament this year and there has been FAR less drama in it than in the previous installments. I did well enough in the NWS that I was promoted. I've apparently done well enough as G-Mod to get here. I have been on staff for nearly two years now which is one of the longest tenures, during which to the best of my knowledge my spot has never been in jeopardy. That would mean I've been considered reliable by three different regimes: Jake and IC, IC and Shocky, you and IC. That would be four admins that have thought highly of me and all have known what it takes to run the forums. In summation, everything I've been entrusted with I have done and I would say I have done well. If I've been faithful with a few small things and then larger things, why shouldn't I be entrusted with the largest thing?

KB

This is strange. When I was replying to this I accidentally closed the tab and had to start over (make that twice now). The same thing happened when I first applied for the position. Weird.
Lack of technical ability. One point deduction. ;)

To this I would ask when have I actually used my power or authority to gain the upper hand in an argument (as in "I win because I'm the G-Mod" or "I can ban you and end this now" etc). Also, I would ask you when I've used my authority inappropriately. While it may have happened on occasion, I would think that the vast majority of the time I have been fair in my actions. If not, I'd like to see proof otherwise.
In my mind, if you become an Administrator, I think you'll find a way to get rid of certain people, for example, OneBigWill. I think you'll struggle to find the aloofness you will need in certain situations to handle them with complete objectivity.

The answer I would give to this is simple: FTS. Very recently, as in within the last maybe two weeks or so, I made a thread in the GMBR asking if FTS belonged on the staff any longer. I would certainly consider FTS one of my friends on here and I can't imagine he would say otherwise. In that situation while I loved having him as a member of the staff, I realized he hadn't been pulling his weight and I brought it up in the place it was supposed to be brought up in, despite what I think of FTS from a social perspective. (sorry if this as coming off as far too formal. Just how it comes out in my head)
Fair enough, but I don't consider FTS to be one of your "Kliq" to borrow a line from a former Staff member.

What about those people? Could you disappoint them, and risk making them mad when it was decision time?

Very simple question in return: when is the last time we had an argument that lasted more than maybe a post apiece? We've both mellowed a good bit since then and as far as the split that you've suggested, I would have no problem with that for the simple reason of I don't have the slightest clue as to how the technical side of this place works. I'm more than willing to try to learn it if needed, but as you said this is more your area of expertise than mine which is just fine. I'd think of it as a case of too many cooks spoil the soup or whatever that expression is.

You and I simply don't fight as much as we used to, and when I do disagree with you, I am less argumentative about it. Case in point being the Cage. I was mostly against it at first but said that I would give it a try before I made an actual protest about it. It turned out to be more or less fine, making an argument mostly pointless and a waste of time. My problem with you used to be that I thought you were telling us (me in particular) taht we didn't know how to do our jobs, much like Sidious. That aspect of your personality has either been greatly reduced or you've mellowed (which is a good thing as the forums have run much more smoothly since). Either way, you and I have not had anywhere near as many major arguments in a long while, which I would think is a sign that we work far better together than we used to.
A fair point.

However, if you think back, we only started to get along better around the time I got elevated to Administrator, which meant there was a clear hierarchy and I was the highest on it, which means what I said had to go, for the most part. If we are put back together on equal footing, what's to stop us from bickering all over again, about things on the forum?

If I've been faithful with a few small things and then larger things, why shouldn't I be entrusted with the largest thing?
[/QUOTE]
Does it always have to turn into a conversation about my penis with you? ;)

You are absolutely right, you've done very well, and you are here. I've no doubt you won't fall off the face of the Earth. My questions still are if you can be impartial and if we can get along.

In my mind, if you become an Administrator, I think you'll find a way to get rid of certain people, for example, OneBigWill. I think you'll struggle to find the aloofness you will need in certain situations to handle them with complete objectivity.

This I would just flat out disagree with. It sounds rather weak and without any real form of backing to it, but the only thing I could say to that is I wouldn't do that. Also, let's say I did ban Will on something trumped up just for the sake of getting rid of him. Since you and I would be on equal footing, wouldn't you likely remove the ban as I had overstepped my bounds? In short, I may vent a lot about Will etc, but if I got rid of someone it would only be due to just cause. That's something I am 100% sure of.

Fair enough, but I don't consider FTS to be one of your "Kliq" to borrow a line from a former Staff member.[/QUOTE

I would actually, although likely not one that I would consider as close as some others, true.

What about those people? Could you disappoint them, and risk making them mad when it was decision time?

Yes, I could. It wouldn't be easy, but I could.

However, if you think back, we only started to get along better around the time I got elevated to Administrator, which meant there was a clear hierarchy and I was the highest on it, which means what I said had to go, for the most part. If we are put back together on equal footing, what's to stop us from bickering all over again, about things on the forum?

True, but that's also the same time you started to chill out a lot. It stopped being Sly vs. the world and became Sly mellows and starts doing things in a much more productive way that prevented a lot of the fighting. You used to drive me crazy but I can't think of a single time any of your admin decisions have made me mad. You used to infuriate me when you were G-mod and i was NWS mod and there was a hierarchy them as well. You haven't made me actually mad about something on here in longer than I can remember.

You are absolutely right, you've done very well, and you are here. I've no doubt you won't fall off the face of the Earth. My questions still are if you can be impartial and if we can get along.

I would say that I can be.

Fair enough, I'm satisfied with this thread.

I would like to say, though, I find it amusing it was my fault we argued. ;) Also, I would like to point out that everything we used to fight about when I was a G-Mod, I've implemented as an Administrator, which you say you've agreed with.

Maybe it wasn't my fault we argued, maybe you just finally came to your senses. :)

Partially yeah. You used to have this reputation as being this guy that wanted to make the forums in your own way and all this stuff and when you did, it turned out fine, kind of like the first time I tried gerbils or vasoline covered mice. And yeah, I've mellowed quite a bit as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back