Kingdom Come IV: TLC: Tag Team Titles: Runn Reynolds Runn (c) vs. BLT vs. Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty Burna

Getting Noticed By Management
In Kingdom Come unofficial tradition, the WZCW Tag Team Championships will be defended in a Triple Threat Tag Team match environment. This time, however, the RRR Express wishes to up the ante this time and bring forth a match that for some reason has yet to make its debut in WZCW: Tables, Ladders & Chairs. This match will not be for the feint of heart as this contest will be filled with hi-flying action as well as some insane moves that no ordinary man would be willing to put themselves through.

Deadline is Sunday, May 20th at 11:59 PM EST. No extensions are allowed.

Ricky sits in a first class seat in a plane in Dallas, Texas. He is reclined back with his eyes shut tight. His mind was racing back and forth about the events of Meltdown. He was beaten square in the ring by a team he absolutely adored when he first joined WZCW. The side of his face was still swollen from the level 5 he took from Alhazred. He wore his sunglasses to hide the black eye, at least till it went away. But that loss will never go away, all that momentum Ricky and Austin have been building ever since Lethal Lottery just went up in smoke. But at least Runn Reynolds Runn are not alone, one of their opponents, Strikeforce also lost their match on Ascension. That sucks, big time. Ricky looks out the side window and sees the International Dallas airport right outside his window; he rubs his face from under his glasses to remove the crust in his eyes, he takes a deep breath and sighs.

“Welcome to Dallas, Ricky…From starting in Miami, and making it all the way to Texas, boy have I gone far?”

Ricky has gone far though, in his short career in professional wrestling, he got a contract at the age of 18, won the tag team champions with the Ratings Winner, Austin Reynolds, been in the ring with the best WZCW has to offer, and was good enough to beat most of them. Now Ricky is going into his first Kingdom Come as a champion, an accolade that Ricky owns among the five other men in his match. Not even his fellow champion and future hall of famer can say that. Ricky shakes his head and mutters.

“Come on Austin…What were you thinking?”

Ricky and Austin have gone a long way since they formed together as a team. When Ricky joined he was filled with youth, energy, and potential. But he didn’t have the experience or the education to be able to use all his attributes to achieve success in WZCW. Then he managed to catch the eye of Austin Reynolds. Reynolds, a man who has made a splash in any and every company he ever joined, and he is one of the top dogs of WZCW. But he needed a break from the main-event, he needed something to recharge his career. And he found that in Ricky.

The two at first didn’t gel as a tandem. And rightfully so, Ricky was still green in the ring, let alone wrestling in a tag team, and despite being more refined and wiser in the ring, Austin still had problems gelling in a tag team environment. Their very first match together, Ricky made a huge error during their match that resulted in the Triple R express to lose their first shot at the tag titles. Then at Unscripted, Runn suffered a concussion during a triple threat tables match, and when Austin went to check on his partner, Mind Over Matter took advantage and threw Austin right through a table.

It took them a long time, but at Unscripted, the fortune for Ricky and Austin turned right around quick. Ricky and Austin defied the odds and beat Mind Over Matter in a match that gave every reason for them not to win, but they did. And since then, The Triple R express showed no end to how great of a team they can be. With them as champions, they’ve gave the tag team a breath of fresh air as teams popped up from the ground. But that same success in the tag team division has given birth to two tag teams that Ricky and Austin now have to defend their titles from. B.L.T, two guys that everyone in the backstage thought would be nothing more than enhancement talent. But they shocked everyone with how successful they are as a tag team. Even much so to the point they earned their a title shot at Kingdom Come.

Then when we have Strikeforce, two guys in the backstage that Ricky is more than familiar with. Mikey and James Howard have made a name for themselves since their debut on Aftershock. They’ve taken on top talent like Action Saxton and Saboteur and have come out on top. You can’t think of a reason why they shouldn’t have a tag title shot. They’ve done more than earned it. Hell, they main-evented Aftershock, that is something Ricky, Austin or even Ty Burna can say they have done…Right?

The plane makes a complete stop into the terminal. Ricky and the rest of the first class seating are the first to leave. Ricky sticks out like a sore thumb in the first class elites. All wearing suits, ties, briefcases, short and clean kept hair. And here is Ricky wearing a scruffy black sweater, jeans, and his blonde hair unkempt under his headphones. These are the exact same people that Ricky hated when he lived with his dad back home, no amount of money or job Ricky would take in his future would ever change that. Ricky left the terminal and began to make his way to baggage check until something caught his eye. It wasn’t a hooters girl serving wings, it wasn’t the keys to a sports car, it was something Ricky didn’t think he would see ever again. It was his father, Richard Jackson. The two caught each other dead in the eyes. They both make their way to one another in the middle of the Dallas airport. The two share an awkward greeting, The older Richard holds his hand out first to shake Ricky’s. Ricky looks up and shakes his father’s hand and clears his throat and becomes the first to speak.

“Ohh hey pops…How have you been? I didn’t really expect to see you here.”

“Yes yes, neither did I…It’s been a while, son…You look…Unshaven.”

Ricky responds to the crack with a chuckle. He removes his sunglasses to show his bruised face as he responds.

“Yeah, I would be lying to say I have seen better days. These weeks have been really tough.”

Richard nods his head and says in an almost optimistic fashion.

“Yeah I know son, I’ve been watching the shows when I can. And I have to say…You’ve been doing a hell of a job.”

Ricky got thrown off from his father’s words. Did his dad really just say he was watching him compete? And did he really praise him for it? Ricky really is going crazy.

“Yeah um, thanks pops…That means a lot, really…”

Ricky couldn’t help but smile a bit as they talk.

“So what brings you here in Texas? Got a business meeting or an expo or something?”

“Well kinda… I was thinking about making it to this Kingdom Come show. I heard something that it is like the Superbowl of Wrestling.”

“Yeah, actually that is spot on, dad.”

“So for this Kingdom Come show, is it really a match where you have to use Tables, Ladders, and Chairs to beat your opponents?”

Ricky laughs a bit from his dads lack of knowledge on Pro Wrestling. He shakes his head and responds.

“No dad, a TLC match is a match where the titles are hung over head and we have to use a ladder to go up and grab the belts before someone else does. Tables and Chairs are scattered around the outside of the ring to use in order to help you keep someone from climbing up and taking our titles away. It is not going to be a pretty match by any sense of the word.”

Richard cringes a little as Ricky describes the TLC match. The thought of his son being thrown through a table must not sit well for him.

“Wow, that sounds…Painful, why on earth would you put yourself through a match like that?”

Ricky then shrugs his shoulders his responds in a careless manner.

“Dunno, Austin and I wanted to have a match that no one has ever seen before at Kingdom Come, we want to be the highlight of the Evening. We want a match that will push everyone in it to the edge. We want a match that will solidify our title reign and showcase everything that made us the greatest tandem in history. Kingdom Come is the show, and TLC will be that means to that end. At Kingdom Come, we will be tied for the longest reign with the titles since the Brother in Arms. Austin and I, we plan on blowing that out of the water. We already retained the titles on two separate occasions, third times the charm, right?”

“But isn’t TLC a little bit too extreme? I couldn’t imagine what the other teams done to you and Austin to call for such a match.”

Ricky’s eyes pop and shakes his head and says quickly.

“What, no! No…The two teams we’re up against, Strikeforce and B.L.T are great guys, hell, we got along famously in the backstage. The guys from Strikeforce, Mikey Stormrage and James Howard are great friends. Ever since they made it to Aftershock we usually end up hanging out and talking smack and playing some video games. They’re great guys, and hell, a few people have them picked as favorites to win the match. Which is huge for them considering that Austin and I have won matches where the stipulations are less than favorable for us, a match where we can use our High-Flying to our advantage, surely would have made us favorites, right? Hell, I doubt Mikey will make it all the way to the top of the ladder to pull down the titles.”

“He’s Fat!”

Ricky pops his head back a bit shocked from his dad’s exclamation. Richard clears his throat and says softly.

“Sorry, that came out wrong…I meant to say he has a bit of a weight problem, I don’t think that would help him a whole lot.”

Ricky nods and responds.

“Actually, Mikey may be a heavy set fellow…Okay, he’s fat but that doesn’t mean he is going to be a sloth in the ring. Mikey will be firing on all cylinders to prove that, I’m not the only person who has to realize Mikey is faster than he looks in the ring. I can’t afford to be surprised from Mikey, neither can Austin really. We just need to be faster, stronger, and more determined than him. If anything, his partner, James is going to be the X-Factor in his team.”

“Really, how come?”

“Well, James really doesn’t have all that much experience when it comes to an extreme environment like TLC or any match that doesn’t prevent weapons from being used. He may seem like a cool, and collected person, but when he was in MMA he got busted open one night and tore apart anyone in reach of him, the guy he was fighting, the referee, from what James told me, it was a scary sight. Now this can either be used to our advantage, or can come to haunt us in the match. The last thing Austin and I would need or want is having James bust our jaws wide open. Hell, I don’t even want to see him snap on B.L.T either, the dude can be the most dangerous out of any of us if he loses his cool.”

“What’s a B.L.T? You mean the sandwich, right?”

Ricky smiles and responds.

“I’m guessing you don’t watch Aftershock, do you?”

“Too be honest, I only watch Meltdown or Ascension, Aftershock is on way too late for me to get interested in.”

“Well the B.L.T guys are what you would call, enhancement talent they were signed to a contract to help guys get winning records and put over talent. But no one could have guessed how good these two actually are as a team. Hell, they’re the only team in Kingdom Come with momentum, they are the loveable underdogs that took their licks and finally earned a shot at the titles. T.L.T is a 40 something that has spent years in the indies trying to finally earn a chance at making it into a big name promotion like WZCW. The dude has a lot of heart, I remember how jaded I was when I wasn’t given a contract in my first audition for the company. I couldn’t imagine what would have happened to me if it took me 20 years to finally get into WZCW. That takes serious love for this business, and all that work in the small shows helped tune his game for any type of opponent. He would know how to handle high-flyers like Austin and I, how to counter the technical work of James Howard, and he might be able to outsmart Mikey and his power. I don’t know how he would fare in a hardcore match, but once the guy gets fatigued, I doubt his heart will be able to climb that ladder alone. This leaves The Beard on his own to get on his tippy toes to grab the titles."

“Uh beards, excuse me?”

“Oh right, you haven’t watched Aftershock. The Beard, is The Local Talent’s tag partner. He is a big guy with a absolutely righteous beard! He has a crazy power game and his size makes taking him down a marvel in the ring. He is one of the biggest guys on the roster, but he is kind of a strange fellow.”

“How so?”

“He is kind of a quiet guy in the backstage…He reads poetry.”

“Like Robert Frost?”

“Who? I don’t know anyone in the backstage named Robert Frost, sounds really cheesy. “

“He is a po…Know what, never mind.”

“Yeah, The Beard and Talent fit together like bread and butter. Beard has the size, and the power, and Talent has the wealth of experience and the technical game. These two play off each other really well and their styles mesh very well. They might be a strange team, but strange doesn’t mean they can’t be dangerous in the ring.”

The two continue talking for quite some time. Ricky’s father looks at his watch and then says hesitantly.

“Oh crap…I am going to be late for that meeting. I should be going. “

Ricky sighs and stretches and replies.

“Yeah, I got to go meet up with Austin and talk over some strategy before the match…Hey Pops?”

Richard looks up to his son and asks.

“Yes, Ricky?”

“I can get a couple of tickets to be waiting for you at the show if you can make it. They would be front row, I don’t know if that is your cup of Joe or anything but the tickets will be waiting for you want to make it.”

Richard smiles and nods his head and says with a smile.

“Son…I never encouraged you to go out and do whatever makes you happy. I was never there for you when you needed help or guidance…I really want to change that, if that means going to one of these wrestling shows and cheering you on…I would be happy to do that.”

Ricky can’t help but smile wide from that. He went to go for a hug, but the two were not really that close, they spend a few seconds trying to figure what to do before settling with just a handshake.

“I’m holding you to that pops, see you at Kingdom Come!”

Ricky then picks up his one bag from the ground and makes his way to the rental station to pick up a car. His smile glowed brightly with a renewed confidence and vigor. He never realized how refreshing it was to have his dad finally backing him up in his decisions. He once again felt invincible, he felt untouchable. And for the grueling match he is entering at Kingdom Come, he is going to need be invincible in order to win.

Ricky is now driving through the Texas Highway. The GPS system that is geared up to find the Cowboy Stadium, Ricky is easily cruising through traffic, cutting and slashing through the lanes in order to get to the stadium as fast as possible. Suddenly, Rachael appears next to Ricky in the shotgun seat. Rachael grins intently and says boldly.

“You excited for the big day, champ? Kingdom Come is tomorrow, I’m so excited for you!”

Ricky simply smiles and nods his head and responds.

“Yeah, it is going to be a hell of a night…It is going to be legendary.”

Rachael giggles and nods and gets herself comfortable in the rental car. Her chirpy tone changes to a more serious tone as she goes.

“Have you heard anything from Austin about his neck?”

Ricky shakes his head and says casually.

“What about it? He’s being able to perform tomorrow night, in a TLC match of all things. I doubt anything major would be wrong with it if he is being allowed to participate in this match.”

“Well what if he is not telling you about his neck? What if it has gotten worse since Lethal Lottery? “

“Are you saying I can’t trust my tag partner? Are you really saying I can’t trust the guy that helped me kick-start my career? I can’t trust the guy that I am entering the ring with to wage hell with against the top teams in our division. A division that was in the gutter until we came in and gave it a monster jump start, I can’t throw that all away because Austin forgot to mention how he is feeling today.”

“Well, did you trust Austin to have your back in Lethal Lottery?”

Ricky grips the steering wheel and nods his head while Rachael continues.

“And on Meltdown, when Austin tagged you in even after the hell you went throughout the match, even with a fresh Titus available to tag in. Did you trust that was the right decision?”

Ricky doesn’t respond to the questions as he drives. Rachael sighs and continues on.

“What I’m saying Ricky, is that you can trust Austin all you want, but maybe Austin doesn’t trust you as much as you trust him.”

Ricky sighs and shakes his head and responds.

“Well…At Kingdom Come, I’m not going to let the if’s or questions make me hesitate. No one can afford to hesitate in a TLC match. I’m going into this match balls to the wall, and so is Austin, if he doesn’t want to talk about his neck which is his business.”

Ricky and Rachael end up at the now empty Cowboy stadium. Ricky hops out of his seat but leans into the car to say to Rachael sternly.

“I understand you are trying to look out for me, Rachael but you need to learn when enough is enough. Just…Just stay out of my head for a little bit. I got too much going on to worry about talking to some sort of figment of my imagination or a ghost or something, okay?”

Ricky stares down to Rachael who now has a frown as she looks down at the floor of the car. Ricky doesn’t give her the time to respond as he closes the door to the car. He makes his way through the parking lot to the stadium. Tonight the stadium might be empty, but Ricky knew tomorrow 100,000 plus fans are going to fill the stadium. 100,000 fans want to see the Triple R express put their balls to the wall and give them the best damn show possible. The fans ask, they shall receive.

It is the night before Kingdom Come in the Cowboys Stadium of Dallas, Texas. The night is clear, quiet; it’s the perfect canvas on which hundreds of stars paint a beautiful picture.

We see the stage set up and it looks epic, befitting of the occasion. The stadium is empty but the atmosphere is set to electric. In the silence, we can feel the spine-tingling noise that 90,000 people can generate.

That is except for one man who appears at the top of the ramp, soaked in the bright light of a focussed spotlight. That man is Austin Reynolds and he looks very happy in this environment.

“In this coliseum, there will be warriors heading to war. There will be men chasing down the chance of a lifetime and there will be men fighting for what they believe in. But there are two men who just want to leave with what they brought to the arena. But of this duo, one man wants to leave with one extra memory. He wants to be remembered, committed to the memory of 90,000 as the one person who stole the show again.”

He sounds solemn and serious but a smile soon betrays all of that.

“Enough with riddles and rhymes. I am here as one half of the tag team champions of the world. We are the best team in this company and we have been for some time. But that isn’t enough for some people. It’s an achievement that fills me with great pride but it doesn’t reach down into my gut and satisfy me. That’s why the match tomorrow night had to be something to thrill and create awe in equal measure.”

Austin hesitates as he looks around at the arena. The silence that surrounds him creates a remarkable depth of tension.

“Tables, ladders and chairs are going to be the ultimate recipe for one of the best matches in company history. I don’t want to just have one of the best tag team matches; we won’t be content with that. I want to have one of the best matches ever and I expect to win it, period! I’ve done it before, the Iron Man at All or Nothing 2010 against David Cougar, last years’ Three Stages of Hell against John Constantine, these are stone cold classics. But I want one more match to live up to these standards and it has to be, it simply has to be a win because it’s Kingdom Come. I know we can do that, I know Ricky can do it and I know the tables, ladders and chairs will be immovable but if we don’t win, it will all be for nought.”

Austin begins to walk down the long, silver ramp that lights up in front of him.

“So we know that Runn Reynolds Runn are bringing it to the big show. Tag Team Championships and a whole bunch of hardware. But I have to ask, are Strikeforce and BLT ready, willing and able to go the level that we will be at on the night? Will they swing a chair with every bit of their spirit behind it? Will they set up a table, knowing they could be the one to crash through it? And best of all, will they be able to drag their battered bodies up a fifteen foot ladder while every muscle is screaming in agony?”

“We know that we will because we are the champions. We have been there, done that and have the belts to prove it. We know what we have done before and what we still have in the locker, saved especially for the big night. But they don’t know the pressure of being on pay-per-view, let alone Kingdom freaking Come. To win on pay-per-view you need a strong heart, fierce determination and no little amount of skill. For every match BLT and Strikeforce have had together, I have had three on pay-per-view where the odds have been stacked against me. See Kingdom Come III. And Ricky and I have had so many matches where Runn Reynolds Runn weren’t expected to win but we succeeded against all odds; see All or Nothing against Mind Over Matter, Lethal Lottery against the Sons of Destiny. “

Austin seems convinced, feisty in his approach. As he reaches the bottom of the ramp, he tips his head to the side as he studies the ring.

“We’ve had our big win but we’ve had more than our fair share of setbacks. We have evolved with the division. We have grown as it has. And now it is only right that we stand as champions in the most important and significant tag team match ever because we know the crushing agony of defeat and the sweet, blissful touch of victory. As much as we like BLT and admire Strikeforce, they don’t have our experience of winning big title matches and that’s going to be a huge factor in a match like this.”

He steps closer to the ring. Instinctively he knocks on the canvas with his knuckles and pulls on the bottom rope. He seems calm for a moment as the surroundings appear to bring a sense of peace.

“We’ve been in table matches, triple threat matches and even a match where even the referee wasn’t completely sure of the rules. Just imagine what on earth we are going to when the rules are in our favour. In a match that demands perfect understanding of the environment and that requires skill individually and as a team, what exactly are Runn Reynolds Runn capable of? Is there anything that we aren’t capable of?”

Austin climbs onto the steps and into the ring. He takes his time and looks around, looking to take in every inch of this unique landscape. He looks across the ring and sees a pair of ladders stood up with a number of chairs that surround it. There is a table perched on top. On the far side of the ring is his partner Ricky Runn who is perched on the far turnbuckle. Austin looks up and smiles at his young friend.

“There is going to be so much Chaos on the show that this match is only going to add to it. But I.....we will revel in it because this is the kind of match I thrive in and it’s the kind of match that the fans adore!”

Austin steps up onto the turnbuckle and leans back.

“TLC is the perfect example of action and teamwork. Your partner has to match you step for step, move for move and he has to know you inside out. He may have to save you. I am willing to jump off a cliff to help Austin retain these belts and that may well be what I have to put my body through.”

Ricky grins, it couldn’t be clearer that he is happy to be here.

“There are so many questions that need to be asked and this match is going to lay us bare for the world to see.”

“We are going to leave everything out there and the teams who don’t come home with the belts will need to do some real soul searching to figure out why their answers aren’t good enough.”

Ricky gets down from his corner and begins to approach the closest ladder. He puts his hand on a rung on head height and shakes it assuredly.

“Both BLT and Strikeforce have put their asses to the grinder to get this opportunity and the WZCW Network should congratulate them.”

Austin jumps down from the corner and lands on a nearby chair. Using some parkour type skills that even Ricky would be proud of, he skips across a couple of chairs and then uses the middle rope to spring five rungs up the ladder. A raised eyebrow shows Ricky’s surprise and he quickly matches his partners’ ascent.

“But this isn’t a throwaway match on TV or even a random pay-per-view. This isn’t Aftershock, this is where the big boys come to play. Kingdom Come means put up or shut up, Ricky and I understand what this chance means. But in this match, not even Ricky truly understands quite how significant this event is. But we worked too hard to revive the dead division to leave it lying lifeless in the back end of the C show.”

Austin gets a knee up to kneel on the table whilst the Daredevil goes straight up. Austin isn’t surprised or at least he doesn’t show it.

“So we hope The Beard and Talent know when they step out on that stage that they won’t be in Kansas anymore. And we expect James and Mikey to realise very quickly that there is no hiding place on a pay-per-view. When you’re on top of a ladder, you can either crash and burn or you can fly high and seize all your opportunities at once. Either way, 100,000 people see you for all that you are and that can make or break you.”

Soon Austin has matched Ricky and they stand with all the confidence that you could have being fifteen foot in the air.

“You see, nobody gets this more than me. This has to be the best match of the night so when you put The Ratings Winner and The Second City Daredevil on a match like TLC, you may not get a happy ending, you may not see the team you back to come out on top but you will see the craziest tag team match in WZCW history.”

The champions take a step towards the middle of the table and reach up. They each carefully pull down the straps that are hung between them. Ricky looks at his with great affection while Austin shows his off to the camera.

“So here’s our plan. Any idiot can set up a table, any buffoon can swing a chair and even Mikey Stormrage knows how to climb a ladder.”

Austin places the belt with great attention on his right shoulder and faces the camera, where he pats it firmly.

“We just have to do it faster than he does. And when we do, we will then really be the greatest team in WZCW history and we will leave Kingdom Come as the Tag Team Champions of the World.”

For The Local Talent, Kingdom Come IV is the culmination of 40 year-long journey -- a journey that has taken a long and winding path, that most would have given up on. That's just not who TLT is, though. Through the excess fat, the lack of athleticism, TLT has always had one thing that nobody else can contend with: His heart. His heart is what has kept him going in professional wrestling all this time, even though he was often looked at as a fool, just because he would not give up on his dream.

After all, that's the thing about a dream... you can't just quit on it. It didn't matter if TLT was stuck working bars, community centers, and other random dives -- he was still out pursuing that dream. His big break could have come at any time, and in the early '90s it almost did. TLT almost signed a contract with a major company and would have been propelled into potential stardom. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. TLT kept on wrestling on the independent scene, but he became more of a "normal" member of society. He got a job as a car salesman, he got married, he had children, and eventually, he stopped wrestling completely. It wasn't a personal choice, but his family didn't want him to continue on that path. This was the closest TLT ever came to quitting on his dream.

A short time later, he began wrestling again, honing his craft, and becoming the best he could be. It didn't matter that he wasn't the young hotshot that had almost gotten a job all those years earlier; TLT had evolved beyond what he used to be. Talent's mind for the business was as sharp as it had ever been, but the body wasn't willing. He had to develop a new dimension to his game. He became a brilliant technical wrestler, some would even call him a "ring general." Over time, there was a respect built between TLT and all those he worked with. It didn't matter that this guy was old, he was still damn good. He may not have ever made it big, but he had been all over the world and become something of a cult legend. Then, WZCW called.

That was the happiest day of TLT's life. The dream had almost come true -- but there was one thing missing: A Kingdom Come moment. Now was TLT's chance, and maybe it was his only chance. Age isn't something you can run away from, you can only try. TLT knows this, which is why he refuses to blow his opportunity to live his dream.

We're almost there, big guy.

TLT turns, smiling at The Beard.

Indeed. We should be landing in Dallas within the hour.

The two men, dressed in full in-ring attire, are quite a sight to see. Neither man is quite able to cram into his seat, because -- let's face it -- coach isn't as spacious as it gets. Beard did suggest flying business class, but TLT's Jewish intuition couldn't allow that to happen.

We should do some sight-seeing after we check into the --

HAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHH

TLT is cut off by a snore resembling something of a hyena crossed with a chainsaw, coming from the portly middle-aged woman sitting in between him and Beard.

You could have at least gotten two seats without someone in between them.

Are you crazy?! I saved four dollars and seventy five cents like this!

F-f-four d-d-dollars? YOU SAT ME DOWN NEXT TO THIS ELEPHANT OVER FOUR DOLLARS?!

The portly woman is awakened by Beard's minor tantrum, while all the other passengers in the surrounding seats shoot him dirty looks. A flight attendant approaches the situation.

Is there a problem, sir?

Not at all.

Well, please keep it down, then. For the sake of the other passengers.

My apologies.

PSSSSSSSSSSSSSST. PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST.

The flight attendant looks over at TLT, an annoyed look on her face.

Yes?

Could I get some peanuts?

OOOOOHHH, ME TOO!

The flight attendant leaves, only to return a few moments later, arms full of miniature peanut bags. She unceremoniously dumps them on The Beard's lap.

There, that should tide you over until we land.

The portly woman and TLT both dive over, reaching for peanuts, throwing elbows and backhands, jockeying to get as many as they can -- crushing The Beard in the process.

OW! OW! SHE'S BITING ME! BEARD, DO SOMETHING!

The flight attendant returns, air marshal in tow.

Sir, this is your last warning. He can, and will, use his tazer. Understood?

Yeah, but she started it!

The portly woman tries retorting, nearly choking on the peanuts in her mouth, flailing her limbs wildly.

COUGH-Nuh-uh!-COUGH

This flight cannot end soon enough.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A short time later, TLT and Beard are shown walking into a hotel room, neither man looking particularly cheery.

I can't believe we're banned from flying with Delta. All my frequent flier miles, GONE!

It wouldn't be a problem if you hadn't fought a woman over a bag of FREAKING PEANUTS!

I was hungry...

Whatever. Now what are the sleeping arrangements in here?

Head to toe. A room with one bed was far cheaper.

You can't be serious?

Hey, life on the road isn't easy.

Yeah, especially when your tag team partner is a 40 year old child.

Come on, man. Only a few more days until Kingdom Come, why are we arguing like this?

I suppose you're right. Although, I understand why your wife can't deal with you now. Speaking of which, what's your excuse for being gone for a whole week?

I told her I was going to work with a partner dealership of ours in Kansas.

You can't keep lying to her, man.

I can't tell her the truth, either.

Eventually you'll have to.

When the time comes, I'll deal with it. Right now, I'm focused on Runn Reynolds Runn and Strikeforce, and our TLC Match for the WZCW Tag Team Championships. Nothing more.

We need to be safe out there. There's a reason TLC has never been done in WZCW before: It can end careers.

It also gives us a chance to be written into history for good. Walking out of Kingdom Come IV with those tag team titles around our waists will guarantee our legacies, it'll guarantee that we'll be remembered forever.

We have to figure out a way to win, though. Our only loss came from Strikeforce and now the stakes are even higher, with RRR in the match.

That was our first week together, Beard. We had no connection, no chemistry. We were supposed to be jobbers, man! We didn't let that happen, though. We've been on a tear ever since then. We've gone through the Shaolin Jacks and the Kings of Hate multiple times, in a triple threat environment, even. We know what to expect, to a degree. We're as ready for this match as Strikeforce and RRR, maybe even more... you'll be hard-pressed to find a team with something as special as we have. This is our chance.

I get that, I believe that, but what happens when you take a chair to the head? A ladder to the back? A fall through the table?

You get up. We've gotten this far, we've done this much -- we can't give up now. We have to finish what we started.

We need an edge, Talent. The other teams probably all think the same thing. How do we contend with their teamwork, their speed, their strength? We need to separate ourselves.

We need to do what we've been doing for the past few weeks. We need to pace ourselves and lull our opponents into thinking they'll be able to beat us with their athleticism. We may me bigger and slower, but we can still keep up. If we can make our shots count, we'll have a great chance at winning. We'll just need to stick together as a team and calculate our every move. Whatever comes to us, we need to do. Avoid unnecessary risks, but if you have a chance to finish the match, no matter how crazy -- you take it.

RRR have a chance to become the greatest tag team in the history of WZCW, we want to prove that we're better. Reynolds has been in these situations before, but Runn is still young. He's still going to feel the nerves. Reynolds will his rock, just like I'll be yours and you'll be mine. The same goes for Strikeforce. They're hungry, and they want this. We want this too, though. I've wanted this for longer than most of the people in this match have been alive! We need to take a page our of each of these teams' playbooks, but we need to take it a step further with our own ability.

These teams don't have major weak links, but with a balanced and unrelenting attack, we'll have the advantage. We can't go in thinking of ourselves as underdogs, because we're not. Strikeforce has never been in this position, either and RRR can hear our footsteps, their time atop our division is coming to an end.

We're the best WZCW has to offer, we just have to prove it. I respect both teams immensely, but this is our destiny. They can't stop us.

Beard and TLT both nod their heads in agreement, before sharing a quick embrace.

Let's do it, my friend.

The music slowly fades in as we zoom in on a bearded man sitting behind a desk wearing a turtleneck and beige blazer. The man’s beard is grey as he removes the pipe from his mouth to address the viewing public.

Welcome back to the web’s premiere talk show, Bearded Social. My next guest is a bearded star that is on the rise in the world of professional wrestling. Tomorrow night he and his tag team partner will compete in WZCW’s first ever Tables, Ladders, and Chairs match for the tag team titles. He is one half of the team BLT, put your hands together for The Beard!

The Beard appears from behind the curtain as the studio audience gives him a warm ovation. The Beard is in a striped dress shirt, sleeves rolled up, and blue jeans. The Beard carries a bottle of wine as he hands it to the host before shaking his hand and taking a seat as the music fades.

Welcome to the show Beard and thank you for the wine, I’ll be sure to put that to good use.

Thanks for having me Brian, big fan.

That means a lot thank you. Now lets get down to business. Why professional wrestling? No offense, but a man with your level of sophistication, an odd choice don’t you think?

None taken. I don’t know why honestly. To sound like a broken record I’ve lived by the motto of big, bad, and bearded despite my level of sophistication. Wrestling gives me a gateway to just beat the crap out of people. What’s there not to like about that?

Perfect reasoning, some people need a good ass kicking. That beard I must say is fabulous. Not trying to be weird or anything, but I must know if I can stroke it.

The Beard looks at the host in such a glare we’ve seen many of times though it is usually aimed towards The Local Talent.

Moving on. Tables, Ladders, and Chairs for the first time in WZCW history. That must mean something to you being part of something potentially historic.

It does, it means a lot. I come off rather mean, but I’m truly humble for this experience and to be part of the biggest show in wrestling is a great honor. Honestly I’m not afraid of the bumps and bruises that are gonna occur. I can take a beating. Hell maybe we’ll see a good old flying beard from a top a 20 foot ladder.

That would truly be a site to see. Lets talk about your partner, The Local Talent. How does a guy like you get pitted with a guy like him?

The Beard tugs on his trademark mane as he chuckles.

Who would have ever thought that it would have worked out. I hated the guy at first but after we suffered our first loss in our first match something hit me. I was at fault and it lit a spark underneath of me and now we are more brothers than tag team partners. He really has taught me a lot and is one of the smartest wrestling minds out there.

You two are truly an entertaining duo. In fact you gave us some footage of you and The Local Talent. Lets take a look.

We cut to video where The Local Talent and The Beard are on one of their zany adventures. This time the duo is standing outside Cowboys Stadium, the home of Kingdom Come.

This is it Beardo, the big time. Smell it, breathe it, take it in big guy.

This is it baby, Kingdom Come. The tag team championship, I can smell it Talent.

The Beard gives TLT a friendly punch that knocks TLT off the screen. Beard laughs as TLT trots back into frame rubbing at his arm.

Now all we have to do what we’ve been doing since we debuted, climb the ladder. Seems kind of ironic don’t ya think? We keep climbing the ladder in the tag team division and now…

We just have to climb the ladder and grab our prize. It’s like Rudyard Kipling’s If states “If you can fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds’ worth of distance run, yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it.”

You..you complete me.

The footage fades out as The Beard shakes his head at his BLT counterpart. We return back to Bearded Social as Beard chuckles at the footage shown as he sips from his water bottle.

You guys have truly made the big time. Lets talk about your opponents at Kingdom Come before we call it a night. In one corner you have Strikeforce consisting of James Howard and Mikey Stormrage and then the tag champs, the coup de grace, Runn Reynolds Runn.

Lets start with Strikeforce. I gotta thank them because they lit this spark under me that has kept me going. They defeated us and I took the pinfall. That put me in a rage in me I didn’t think existed. I don’t like losing and they made the bond between Talent and me unbreakable. Now onto them. They remind me of BLT, they are an oddball team and they get better each week. Stormrage is a big boy and you can’t let his love for video games fool you. He can mess you up. And Howard, that guy is a brawler. He is one tough SOB. And then there is Triple R. They are good. Scratch that, they are great. They are the face of the division and potentially that stepping stone to the next level for Talent and myself. Just being in the ring with them is a big deal.

Do you think they are underestimating you guys though? They did stop in and talk with Strikeforce on Ascension and nothing with you guys?

I feel we’ve been underestimated, but that is what is keeping us motivated. We go out and prove that we aren’t just a run of the mill contender. We are the real deal. Right now we can’t let little things like that bother us. I’m living under a new motto for Kingdom Come. Big, bad, and bearded is taking a back seat. E.P.I.C.

Epic?

Yes E.P.I.C.

Care to explain?

Every play is crucial, E.P.I.C. Everything relies on this moment. My career, Talent’s career, our partnership. Everything. We have an advantage over Runn Reynolds Rynn and Strikeforce and that is the fact that we are coming in on a winning streak. They are the hot commodities and the flashier picks, but they both were on the losing ends at Meltdown and Ascension. Meanwhile Talent and I keep winning on Aftershock. The tag team division is focused on three simple letters and that is TLC and at Kingdom Come three letters will remain and they will be B.L.T!

The Beard jumps out of his chair as the studio audience is fully behind him as he runs through them, celebrating with his faithful. The host claps as The Beard continues his run through the crowd. Somewhere in some one room apartment TLT is looking on as his partner has finally embraced the fans.

Holmes and Constantine had beaten us, we had the momentum in the early going but Holmes resorted to using brass knuckles to keep Mikey down. If only I hadn’t stepped into the ring we might have had a different finish to the match. The ref was getting me out of the ring when Mikey took the knuckles to the jaw.

Not that that matters now… Holmes’ day will come; we’ll make sure of it. For now we needed to refocus on Kingdom Come. Who would believe it; six months ago I was earning petrol money and maybe getting a discount stay at a hotel, now I was on the card for the biggest show of the year. Hopefully Mikey will be there with me but we have some business to attend to in the mean time, specifically my past. It’s time Mikey learnt the truth. Or at least as much as I can afford to tell him at this point.

We’d agreed to take a few days sabbatical between Ascension and Kingdom Come to visit family and the likes; I flew to England for a day and a half and met up with my mother and my little brother. We’d talked about the match, about BLT and Runn Reynolds Runn, they’d made more of an insight on them than I had and I was planning to go through it all with Mikey, once we’d gotten our other business out of the way.

We’d agreed to meet McCarran International Airport, I’d considered booking a hire car, but realised that on the strip there was little point. We were here on business and I was hoping we could be on our way to Dallas within the next twenty-four hours. Dinah and Rose had gone on ahead and were staying at a resort in the middle of the countryside; the Rough Creek Lodge, we’d rented a goddamn house from them and they’d let us set up a ring out back so it was ideal for what we needed. I sat in the terminal waiting for Mikey when a fan approached me. “Excuse me, um, are you James Howard?”

I turned to face the kid stood behind me; he was no older than ten, wearing a shirt with the Strikeforce logo on it. He was also wearing a Runn Reynolds Runn baseball cap, that damn RRR logo followed me everywhere. “Hi kid, yeah it’s me, what can I do for you?” The kid looked shocked; I don’t think he was expecting a reaction other than waving him away. If the kid had the balls to approach me in an airport, I had to at least acknowledge him.

“Hi, I’m a, uh, a huge fan of tag teams, you and Mikey especially.”

“Oh yeah, how come you’re wearing a Runn Reynolds Runn cap then?” I was joking, based upon the kids reaction I don’t think he knew about deadpan delivery. He immediately took off the hat and balled it up into his hands. “I was kidding.”

The kid laughed awkwardly. “Would you mind signing this for me?” He handed me a programme from our first Ascension, where Mikey and I took each other on.

“Sure.” I reached into my pockets. “Do you have a pen?”

“Here you go Howard” Mikey was standing behind me, how on Earth a guy that big can sneak like that is beyond me, but he’d managed it. “Want me to sign it too?” The kid’s face lit up. He didn’t speak, he just thrust the programme towards us and smiled from ear to ear. “There you go” Mikey said as he handed it back. I blinked and the kid was gone, I wondered if he was going to keep it for himself or sell it on ebay. “Good to see you buddy.” Mikey smirked a little as I paid for my drinks and headed for the exit. “Why are we in Las Vegas by the way?”

“Cut right to the chase why don’t you? I made you some promises, I’m making sure I keep them.” We left the airport and hailed a cab. The taxi ride was only ten minutes long, but Mikey looked fit to burst. We couldn’t talk about my gambling just anywhere and especially not in Las Vegas. We arrived at our hotel. “Here we are buddy, the Mandalay Bay Resort. I’ve got us a suite each, thanks to Aleksey. The MMA crowd are in town and he’s working so he managed to bag us a couple of tickets to that too if you wanna go see it.”

“I’m surprised you want to go, given the circumstances.”

“Why do you think we’re in Vegas? Who else can give you the full and honest story about what happened that day other than me and Alex?” As we headed into the reception room we were met by a burly European man with an accent and breath so thick it had a physical presence.

“You are Mr Howard yes? I am Vitali. Aleksey sent me to meet you. He has keys. Follow. Leave the fat one here. His key is at reception.”

“I’m guessing you’re Vitali. Mikey’s with me, Alex knows he’s the main reason I’m here so drop the goddamn attitude ok?”

Vitali grunted. “Fine. Very well. Fat man gets in lift now please” Mikey and I followed Ayer’s rock into the elevator. “Alex said to speak to you first.” He said pointing at me aggressively. “Fat one can wait outside with me.”

“My name is Mikey, asshole”

Vitali took my overnight bag and stared at Mikey blankly for a second, like he was reminding himself not to get violent. “Fine, fat Mikey wait with me.”

I entered Alex’s room. He was sat on a chair, looking out onto the strip. Cigarette smoke floated in the sunlight as he spoke. “It is a beautiful day. It is a good day to spend with old friends, and even older enemies.” His head did not move; he was fixated on something in the distance. “Our match, it could – it should - have been there.” He pointed at the Mandalay Bay events centre. “We were both good enough, but you were too young and I was too old. It is a shame. If only I were ten years younger you and I could have filled that building to the rafters. Instead, you nearly killed me on live television. It seems that we have both bounced back however. You are now filling the arenas you were always going to, I have become respectable commentator.”

“It’s good to see you Alex.” He lazily pointed to the chair next to him, I obliged. He passed me a cigarette as he stubbed his out. “I didn’t think we could smoke in the rooms?”

“We cannot.” He replied in a cold careless voice. “I never cared for rules. How much does your friend know anyway?”

“He knows I used to gamble. I told him the other week while I was drunk.”

Alex’s put his head in his hands. “He also knows you never fixed a fight then I assume.” Alex had turned to me and was pointing. “You were always an honest one. Not like me. Your friend needs to understand that.” I nodded in agreement. “Does he know what you did after the fight?” I shook my head. “Then it is best we do not speak of that. I will follow your lead friend; Comrade.”

“Don’t start your KGB bullshit with me Alex, I hate it when you call me that. You were twenty-two when the wall fell.”

“<I was twenty-four when the union dissolved, and it was a compliment you ignorant pig.>”Alex slipped into Russian without a thought when he was riled. Clearly I’d upset him.

“Don’t call me a pig. Anyway, what time do you need to be at the arena?” Alex glared at me, clearly he’d forgotten that over the years we’d known each other I’d picked up a good amount of Russian from him.

“I have an hour. When do you fly to Dallas?”

“Tomorrow morning. We might go to the fight though.”

“It would be best if you did not. There are still some people who are... less than pleased with you still.” Alex looked me in the eyes. His face was emotionless. “I gave you tickets to give you a reason to bring your friend. He should hear my side. No doubt my friend has escorted him to his room.” Alex walked over to the door. “VITALI” he yelled at the top of his lungs, no reply. He opened the door and collected the do not disturb sign, he was sat next to me almost instantaneously. “Let us talk about your match. Do you have a plan? Neither team can be uh, over done? No, what is the phrase?”

“Underestimated”

“Yes.” He enthusiastically exclaimed. “Neither team can be underestimated. I know you beat the sandwich team before but they are stronger now, and the others, they have been the champions for some time. You have to have a plan friend, or they will bring defeat to you.”

“BLT have been overlooked by everyone. They’re not very” I paused, searching for the right word “marketable.”

“Which one? The Jew or the one in need of a shave?” Alex didn’t pull punches. In fact in polite company he was often called racist. He wasn’t but that didn’t come across very often.

“Neither, really. It’s not just that though; we’ve been cutting our way upwards, meanwhile they’ve been moving sideways. They’ve only faced off against teams that were doomed from the start. We’re the only guys on the Kingdom Come card they’ve even faced in the ring. There’s only so many times they can beat the same team.”

“They are still strong. Do not count them out before the bell rings.”

“I won’t... I’m not... BLT are talented. We can beat them though, we have beaten them, how much damage can an unshaven and over-educated hobo and a guy who is probably still afraid of his mother do?”

“A lot” Alex glared at me “If you count them out they will win. Focusing on the idiot with a death wish and his mentor will lead to you being caught from behind.”

“I know, given the match we’re going into though our opponents seem to be the least important thing. No-one has done anything like this before, we’re entering the unknown. The most important thing is to get those titles down from above the ring; there are no rules in that match. No disqualifications, hell, using weapons in encouraged. I think the crowd will be disappointed if someone doesn’t go through a table, or get their skull cracked on a chair, or even get damn near paralysed falling off of or onto a ladder.”

“Wrong.” Alex was as glib as he’d ever been. “The match is not as important as your opponents. The one with a death wish; Ricky Runn, he will not be afraid of anything you could do to him. You could drop him from a plane with no parachute and he would smile as he fell to his death. He lives for this. He’s the most dangerous man in that ring, other than you; you need to deal with him. You need to scare him.”

“I need to help my partner conquer his own fears yet, before I start to worry about scaring someone else.”

“How are you planning to do that?”

“This is a very tall building... There’s Austin Reynolds to worry about too. That guy has gone toe to toe with some of the best there is. He faced off against Ty Burna”

“He lost to Ty Burna, he lost to his friends too. His career is staring at Baba Yaga, his time is short; I doubt he will have many matches after this.”

“That’s true, the guys neck is like chalk from what I’ve heard, there’s no way he’s going to risk his life over some gold.”

“Do not be so sure, tell me would you rather retire as a paralysed champion or as a withered husk of a once great man?”

I hadn’t thought of it that way, if it’s going around the locker room then clearly Reynolds knows his time is short. Maybe he would be prepared to risk it all to go out on a high. If anything, he might be more dangerous than he usually is. As I realised just how tough the match was going to be, Vitali burst into the room walking quickly backwards as Mikey stomped after him. “Do not call me fat Mikey again, do you understand? Comprende? Comprends-pas? English Mother Fu~”

“MIKEY” I yelled across the room. “What the hell happened?”

“Big, dumb and ugly crossed the line. I’m sick of people making fat jokes. The next person to make a fat joke gets my size fourteen stuck so far up their ass they’ll be tasting leather for a month.” Mikey sneered around the room; clearly Mikey had a line in the sand. Being called ‘Fat Mikey’ by a guy who looked like he’d fallen onto the ugly tree from a plane was evidently it. He quickly calmed down and offered his hand to Vitali who had fallen on his ass whilst backtracking. I could see Vitali had his right hand balled into a fist as he grabbed Mikey’s hand with his left. So could Mikey, “don’t even think about it” his voice was half hiss and half shout and one hundred percent serious. After Vitali had stood and dusted himself off he made his apologies and left. “I’ve been babysat for long enough. Why are we really here?”

I pointed to a media room in the centre of Alex’s suite. “We’re going to watch something. We’ll skip to the second round. That way you can see what happened.”

As the second round started both Alex and I were bloodied, he’d gotten a few good hits in on my left eye and I knew I needed to protect it. My brow was swollen and looked about ready to split with one good hit. My left cheek and knee had both taken some damage too, but Alex knew my style. I was a reactive fighter, dodging and weaving and waiting for an opportunity, if he managed to take out my peripheral vision it would give him a huge advantage. I’d gotten some good shots in during the first round and Alex had to get his nose patched up, he’d also shifted his posture so that his right leg was protected. He was a great striker but if I could ground him he was screwed and he knew it. If nothing else he was determined to go the distance if he had to lose.

The first thirty seconds or so were pretty even, we traded blows back and forth but nothing major. A few big misses from both of us had cancelled each other out in quick succession. At the thirty-one second mark Alex landed a huge left hook and burst my eye open. “Stop the tape.” I looked at Mikey, staring him straight in the eye. “Remember buddy what happens next is brutal and visceral; I don’t know what happened to me but from here until the locker room afterwards is a blur. I haven’t watched this fight in over a year and a half. I’m only watching it again so you can hopefully understand what happened. Sorry Alex, you can press play now.” I covered my face; I knew the next thirty seconds blow for blow in my head. I did remember it, every brutal, terrifying second, it haunts me. For thirty seconds I became bestial, I became like a lion, or a shark. After the hit to my face I managed to get into a clutch, forcing enough space to get some elbows into Alex’s ribs. The first two hit just to the side of the sternum, the third hit further out, where bone becomes cartilage, it was right over Alex’s heart. I felt the rib snap against my elbow and Alex released me to grab onto it. He was doubled over and on the verge of falling to his knees; the referee stepped in and started to call for the doctor. If I had stopped there I would have won by Technical Knockout. There was no way Alex could defend himself when his rib was so dangerously close to his heart.

I didn’t stop though. I grabbed him by the hair, a hand over each ear and pulled his head down onto my right knee. The first shot connected on his nose, I barely felt anything save for the dampness of his blood. I’d hit right in the centre of the bridge smashing the hardened cartilage; it took two surgeries to make his nose look human again. The second hit was over his left brow; I broke his orbital bone as well as being very close to bursting his eyeball. I remember pulling him towards me for the third strike, hitting his right cheek square on from the front; I felt it move back an inch but it didn’t break so I hit it again. The fifth and final blow was to his mandible. The hardest bone in the human body but it snapped like a glow stick. All five strikes happened in less than two seconds. I heard the sound from the video stop.

I looked up and saw that the only person still watching the video was Mikey; his face was pallid. He looked like he had seen death and been told that out of the seven billion people on earth he was next. He opened his mouth as if to speak but nothing came out. “I’m sorry Mikey” I patted my partner on the back. “I shouldn’t have forced you to watch it but you needed to see the monster I can become. You need to promise me, promise that no matter what the circumstances if I flip out like that in the ring you don’t stop, you don’t hesitate; you run. If Dinah or Rose are there you go and you get them too. I’m sorry.” I could feel my tear ducts swelling, reliving those few seconds. Seeing what I did to someone I had and was still able to call a friend, being so helpless.

“The video is not yet finished.” Alex sounded callous and cold as Mikey tapped on the bin, he tapped out from watching any more. “You need to see, if you want to trust your friend you need to see what he can do if provoked.”

“That wasn’t provoked” Mikey shouted as he lifted his head. “It was attempted murder; he was trying to kill you Alex. How can you be so, so, blank? How can you watch this and not feel helpless?”

“I cannot, but sometimes you must do the difficult things in order to succeed. This video, it reminds me of what I have overcome, as a man and as a fighter. I am stronger because I was rebuilt from the ground up. Your friend, he tore me down like a building in demolition. He forced me to rebuild myself stronger and better so that this could never happen again.”

“How can you not be angry? How can you act like this was good for you in the long run? I don’t understand. I... I think I need some air.” Mikey stormed out of the room, I heard the room door slam shut behind him.

“Give him time, he needs to think about what has just seen. He will be back.”

“I know he will, but that doesn’t change the fact that he’ll never look at me the same way again.”

“I am the man you hurt in that video, and here I am sitting and talking to you like we are women with fish.”

“Fishwives, you mean talking like fishwives.”

“Whatever, here is a spare key to my room. I will go and talk to your friend then I must go to the event. I think you and he will need to talk tonight. I will do my best to mention Kingdom Come on air. Any press is good press eh?”

“Thanks Alex.” I sat in the room and waited, after ten minutes I realised I had not yet stopped the video. I wiped my cheek and through blurred vision I turned off the television. I must have fallen asleep in the chair. My phone was ringing and it kicked me out of my slumber. The screen had a picture of Dinah, a picture she probably wouldn’t approve of me having on my phone, I had taken it in the morning early on in our relationship, as in whilst we were still lazing in bed. Seeing that picture of her made me feel better at least temporarily. I raised the phone to my ear. “Hello?”

“Hi honey, are you alone?”

“Yeah; why? Something wrong?”

“No, no. I’m feeling better. I need to talk to you, in person.” Great. The last time I’d heard that phrase it was from a girl called Kirsty. She was calling to dump me.

“What about?”

“It’s a surprise.” She giggled like an eight year old. I could hear Rose giggling in the background too. Those two had become inseparable; Dinah finally had a sister. There was a knock at the door.

“Oh... Okay? Listen it’s kind of a bad time right now. I’ll see you tomorrow Hun, love you.” I heard her reciprocate as I removed the phone from my ear and hung up. Life had thrown me something new to worry about. As I got older I realised that life was a bastard, always coming in and messing things up when they seemed to be going right. Our undefeated streak for example, life waited until the show immediately before Kingdom Come to take it away. I meandered over to the door, I didn’t want to face what was on the other side. I opened the door and was met with a fist. Vitali smacked me on the jaw with all of the force and finesse of a train. “What the hell was that for?”

“Mister Mikey asked me to do so, he is in his room.” I picked myself up off the floor, with my hand rubbing the spot on my jaw where Vitali had almost punched a hole.

“I preferred it when you called him fat.” I muttered as I walked past him and towards the elevator. The corridor to Mikey’s room felt a mile long, because we were in adjacent suites we were placed right at the end of the corridor. I quickly popped into my room to splash some water on my face and make sure Vitali hadn’t done too much damage before psyching myself up to knock on his door.

I knocked loudly “There’s a seat by the door.” Mikey yelled in response. I knew he would need some time to get over what he had watched, but I didn’t expect him to make me sit outside. “Did you ever fix a fight?”

“Mikey, I don’t want to have this conversation through a door. Can you just let me in?”

“Did you ever fix a fight?” Mikey was already loud enough to hear clearly. His volume had raised significantly.

“No, never, I never even considered it.” I buried my head in my hands after I spoke. The door clicked open Mikey was staring through me.

“Prove it.”

I stood up and walked towards the door, he held out his hand to stop me. “I can’t – I never... I never fixed a fight. Up until Alex all of my opponents were jokes, guys who would never have cut it in the big leagues. There was no way I would lose.”

“Did you bet on your fight with Alex?”

“Yes.” My voice became quieter, “I lost ten grand. Look, as much as I love the fact that we’re stood in a hotel corridor discussing this I can’t help but think we could have this conversation inside.”

Mikey scoffed “Yeah, whatever” he walked into the room and I heard him throw himself onto a chair. “Come in then.” I walked into the room and stood across from him, leaning on the chair in front of me. “Sit down, tell me everything.” Mikey’s voice was calmer now; his eyes were closed, almost squinting but not quite, staring blankly at where my head would be if I were sat down.

“I used to get someone – a friend or a relative to bet my previous fight’s purse on my match. If I were really confident I’d bet every penny I had.” I leaned forward resting my elbows on my knees. “Even if you only have four hundred quid to your name long odds pay really well. I used to shop around online to find the best. If I’d beaten Alex I would have made eighty thousand.” Mikey looked at me unimpressed. “In one of my early fights I was at 25-1 against but I knew I had the guy beaten; my sparring partner at the time was almost identical to him. The odds of me getting a first round win by submission were 100-1.” I started tapping my finger onto the table, Mikey was putting on his best poker face and he was leaning on his right arm, with his hand covering his mouth. “It was how the fight with my sparring partner always went down too. I put four thousand on it. The purse for that bout was three grand, I made four hundred and three. It was what I needed to do to sustain my career.” I stood again. “Look, I know it’s difficult to understand everything that’s happened since that night I got drunk. But you need to learn to trust me again Mikey. We will win at Kingdom Come, we will be the best tag team in WZCW history, but if you can’t get past this we’re screwed.” I stood and began walking towards the door. “The ball’s in your court.”

As I reached the door Mikey finally broke his silence. “I believe you. I don’t know why, but I do. Alex told me about the rest of the fight too. He also said you never fixed a fight, so did Dinah.”

I turned, was that why Dinah had called me? Was she trying to make sure I was unprepared for what would happen next? “You called Dinah? What did she say?”

“She told me she knew about it. She said down in the lower divisions it was more common than I would expect, that most guys did it so they could train full time and win more fights. From the way she spoke she made it sound like it was almost necessary.”

“It was. If I’d gotten caught I’d be in prison but it was what I needed to do. You need to understand that Mikey.”

“I understand; I resent it too. After all how many bookies will take bets on wrestling? I had to work every crappy hourly paid job I could get my hands on to survive. You took the easy way out and just gambled on your own success. I hate it, I hate the fact that you got to take a shortcut and I didn’t.” Mikey had gotten up and was damn near in my face.

“Hit me, if you think getting mad will do anything to help then smack me square on the jaw. It’s the quickest way of dealing with something, you want a shortcut? It’s right here.” I lifted my jaw for Mikey to hit me pointing right at the fleshy part directly beneath my tongue. I closed my eyes, this was going to hurt.

“Why bother?” Mikey spat as we backed away. When I opened my eyes again he was already sat down “it won’t solve anything. The way I’m feeling right now I’d gladly break your jaw, but it won’t make anything better, it’ll just give Reynolds, Runn and the Sub Club a weakness to target.” I laughed

“Good one, Sub Club, I like it.” Mikey glared at me. There was an awkward pause “Are we good?”

Mikey sighed. “We’re gonna have to be.” Mikey smiled as I turned to leave the room. “Congratulations by the way, I’ll see you tomorrow buddy.”

I span on the spot “Congratulations for what?”

Mikey looked panicked. His eyes darted across the room as his head began to move rapidly, he was a terrible liar “What? Oh never mind, it was a uh... a figure of speech.” I looked at him suspiciously “I’ll see you in the morning.”

“Mikey” the vowels were elongated, Mikey had stood up and was starting to walk around the room.

“I’ll see you tomorrow buddy” he laughed nervously “You going to grab me on your way down to breakfast?” I nodded as I exited the room. As soon as the door closed Mikey swore at the top of his lungs.

As I laid on the bed in my room I couldn’t help but think about our team. We came pretty damn close to the brink. I decided my plan for the next day needed to be scrapped, I doubt he would respond well to me pushing him off the building with a parachute after the day we’d had. And what was going on with Dinah? What did Mikey know that he wasn’t telling me? The following morning we had breakfast and made our way to the airport. A few hours later we were arriving at the house we’d rented. Dinah and Rose made us lunch and then me and Dinah headed to our room. “What was it you wanted to tell me anyway? I know Rose and Mikey know already so come on, out with it.”

“How do you know that?”

“Mikey is a terrible liar and I could hear Rose giggling in the background on the phone.”

“Rose told Mikey? Goddamn her.” She sighed “I may as well just say it.” She paused and took in a breath. “I’m pregnant.”

I blacked out.

My jaw still hurt. I was considering going to the doctor over it but that would just impede my progress. If James and I were going to win those titles I would have to climb a mountain. At least that's what it felt like for me climbing to the top of this sixteen foot ladder. I had always had a fear of heights. Well not so much a fear of heights as much as a fear of falling from said height.

Almost there Mikey. Just two more rungs.

I stood shaking as I gripped the ladder for dear life. Why the hell did I let James hang my Xbox controller from the ceiling? This isn't training, this was defined as torture in the Geneva Convention.

I took a step up to the next rung. Come on Michael, you can do this.

Just as soon as I was ready to step to the top and grab my beloved controller I heard a loud knock at the door.

Delivery!

The sudden noise startled me enough to cause the ladder to tip and crash to the ground. Luckily we laid out padded mats. James foresaw that I would fall and fall often. My fat ass also provided a nice cushion, as well as healthy fodder for the jokes of my opponents.

Michael, door for you.

Dinah had yelled from down the hall. Its a pretty big box.

I did my best to towel off a little. Overcoming a innate fear was a lot of work. Three years ago though I overcame my natural shyness and social awkwardness to talk to Rose and that turned out pretty well, so I know I'm capable of beating this.

I arrived at the door, putting on my glasses as the delivery man asked me to sign for my package.

Are you sure this wasn't meant for a Michelle? This is a pretty girly looking box. The delivery man scoffed.

Nope, its for me, thanks for your concern.

I was absolutely excited. I shut the door in the delivery man's face. I ran to the closest table and picked up a pen and dug into the tape.

That is a pretty girly box, did you get Rose a gift. You seem awfully excited.

I just shook my head. Dinah stood over my shoulder. Once it appeared there were toys inside she lit up.

Aww Michael you didn't have to get that for me and the baby.

Its not for you either. It isn't even for me. I finally pulled out the contents. A pair of shirts and a few plastic toys fell out.

I picked up a toy. Well this is for me. I held up a Rainbow Dash toy.

Dinah just shook her head. Rose get in here!

What?

Rose walked in, we had apparently interrupted one of her writing sessions.

Can you believe your boyfriend just spend over a hundred dollars on My Little Pony merchandise for himself?

I already said Dashie is the only thing I bought for myself. The rest is for Ricky and Austin. Sort of my way of saying thanks for keeping those belts warm for us.

I smile as I hold up a shirt. This is for Austin...
tshirt+brohoof.png
...and this is for Ricky.
41RSsi2bPGL._SX342_.jpg

Both girls shake their heads. I show them the rest of the goodies I have ordered for the two.

You are impossible sometimes, you know that.

I roll my eyes.

No really, you are.

I point at both girls. You dudes are just jealous.

Jealous of what babe?

I got a nice fat ass and everyone is talking about it.

I smack my ass as I walk to the kitchen.

Rose and Dinah look at each other stunned. He is right. His ass is bigger than both ours and its all his opponents seem to talk about.

Don't be looking at my man's ass.

The two playfully shove each other. They have become just as good of friends as James and I have in our time together.

I rummage around the kitchen, James was in charge of shopping so he bought a lot of healthy food that I was not a fan of.

I'm going for a burger. I yell out as I leave the house. I climb into my car. Its the same car I have been driving since high school. I then look over at both of James' vehicles. I hang my head, resting it on the steering wheel. I know I have to trust my partner, but in the back of my mind I worry. He is the superior athlete, he is better looking, has better individual merchandise sells, and other than my higher gamer score he has me beat in practically every department. He could easily cast me aside. I want to believe that he has never bet on our matches but last week still hung around, and not just because my jaw was still swollen and in pain. We were in control, we had Holmes and Constantine on the ropes. Constantine had to cheat to win. James should have stopped that though. Maybe he did bet on the match for us to lose...no he couldn't. As angry as I was with him I still trusted him.

As I drove around looking for a place to eat I noticed a Whataburger and pulled in. We didn't have these back in Indiana so if nothing else I can say I had Whataburger while I was in Dallas.

I went inside and after a few minutes an older man with a thick Southern drawl approached me.

So what da ya think of BLT?

Sorry sir I don't like lettuce or tomato. Thanks anyway.

Not the sandwich, the team. That big match does include three teams, and thems one of 'em.

He was right, despite them being the only team of the three to pick up a win last week, BLT were being very overlooked. I also wondered how anyone recognized me in my glasses. I felt very Clark Kent in them.

Well, in Strikeforce's debut as a team we beat them. It was both of their debuts on the roster so they were still new, but a win is a win. Since then they are undefeated, but they haven't faced the level of competition that Strikeforce or Runn Reynolds Runn have. Its tough to judge where they may be in terms of their development.

Well I think you and that partner of yours can win it. He does have an awful bad temper when he gets upset, I think his past actions reflect that.

Hey now, James did mess up but he isn't that way anymore.

Well I don't know about that, and I don't know much but what I do knows is this. No matter how much you change, you still got to pay the price for the things you’ve done.

I scratched my head as the gentleman walked away. I have been known to wax philosophical from time to time but for the life of me I could not figure out what he meant. The whole ride home I couldn't get that thought out of my head. I pulled into the rental house and saw James was finally awake. I'm not sure who received the more shocking news in the last few days?

I'm back. I yell as I walk through the door.

James walks in the greet me.

Where have you been man?

I was hungry.

There is food in there. James motions to the kitchen.

I roll my eyes. Rabbit food. Besides I wanted a tasty burger.

I sip from my beverage, slurping up the last of the liquid in the cup.

You know you are absolute dead weight when you pass out.

Eh, sorry about that mate. Shocking news.

I throw my cup into the closest trash bin as James and I walk to the backyard.

At least you can have kids. I'm still waiting for one of my guys to descend back down.

He laughs quietly to himself.

So what do we do about the Sub Club?

I shrug. Well Beard still has a far greater beard than you and I combined and the Talent is still out of shape, but not nearly as much as I am. We have a win over them once, so we have a leg up. We just need to use a similar strategy and throw in some new tricks to keep them on their toes. I pause for a moment. Plus the Talent may be distracted, this is the biggest show of the year, he is going to be more concerned about staying hidden from his family. We need to exploit that distraction.

When did you become the master of strategy? James asks impressed.

When you play as much Stracraft as I have you tend to learn a thing or two about strategy.

James nods his approval.

What about Reynolds and Ricky? Other than the little gift you gave them that is.

By this time James is already in the ring, I climb in after him and flop down in the corner. I bite my top lip and exhale.

Well there are the champs for a reason. If this was three or four months ago we could easily just focus on Austin. Back then Ricky was barely more than a jobber. Now some would argue that Ricky has surpassed his mentor. Even if he hasn't there is no way that those grumblings set well with Reynolds, a guy who loves the spotlight.

Plus he is getting up there in age. He isn't old by any means but his style has taken a toll on his body. He has more injuries than I can count and word on the dirt sheets is that he is going to hang them up soon. It makes you wonder though, if we were atop the ladder, battling it out with someone, what would his ego cause him to do? Would the man all about the ratings sacrifice himself, going out in a blaze of glory or would he think of his well being and not go all out so he could recount his glory days for years to come?

I sit in quite contemplation.

I have an idea! I suddenly spring up from my seated position.

Do tell then. James looks equally excited at my proposition.

I change my nickname to The Hadouken.

James just face palms for the umpteenth time in our partnership. Why in the bloody hell would you do that? He speaks without raising his head.

That's what the ladies call me, cause I'm down right fierce.

No one calls you that Mikey.

What do you know?

I know that no one has ever called you the Hadouken.

I'm gonna start calling myself that.

Babe you can't just give yourself a nickname.

Yeah mate, who are you Shaq?

I slump back down defeated. Fine.

So anyway I'm exhausted. I will talk to you in the morning man.

I head off to bed, the training for Kingdom Come has really been taking its toll as I slept through to the next morning. This was it, the big day. Rose and Dinah had already left. James was watching some tape on some of Reynolds old matches.

He has definitely lost a step or two since his prime but he is still the toughest guy in this match.

No doubt man.

I take a seat next to James, an awkward silence washes over the room.

James finally break the silence. Tonight is the night man. I know you are upset, I sprang some terrible news on you and I should have kept it to myself or just told you upfront. I want you to know you can trust me. These titles are the most important thing in the world to me right now.

Your unborn child?

Well excluding that, that should go without say.

James I do trust you. I'm not happy, especially when you took the easy rode and I have worked my whole life to get here. I still drive the same car I did in high school. I live in a tiny ass apartment. For some reason Rose loves my fat ass enough to share a bed with me or she would have no place to sleep there. I'm still working my ass off...well I wish I was, then maybe Ricky would stop making jokes about it, but the point stands. You are way more popular than I am. You always take center stage for the promo shoots we do, you get asked to do the interviews, I feel like I am just along for the ride sometimes.

Mikey, man, we are a team. I have your back.

I nod. I have yours man. I know we are a team. You are the veteran here. You have a huge house, a beautiful girlfriend, you are going to be a family proper in nine or so months. Its only natural you take the lead. I just can't sit here and pretend that I'm happy that you got to take the easy way.

How can I make it up to you? Believe me I want to.

I shake my head. You don't have to make anything up to me. Hell you have done more for me than I could ever repay. If you feel like you have to make it up to me, then go out there with me tonight and climb that damn ladder so I don't have to.

We both laugh.

So you won't turn on me then?

James you are my friend, my partner, my brother. I don't think you are that same guy. I honestly believe you have changed, but a wise old man once told me, mo matter how much you change, you still got to pay the price for the things you’ve done.

I sigh and look over.

I'm not a vengeful man, and you have never really done me any harm. You owe me no debt. Someday some man may come along and collect what you owe, but that man won't be me. Runn Reynolds Runn though, they hold a couple belts that belong around our waists.

Plus they are never short of fat jokes.

I say its time we make them pay for what they have done.

Absobloodylootely!

I give James a fist bump as we head to grab our gear.

Hey James, are you worried about BLT? I yell across rooms.

Haha, no. I don't intend to let you eat until this evening. Hope you work up an appetite to destroy a delicious sandwich.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back