• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Kimbo Slice, Boxing Heavyweight Division.

Tha Wolfpac

Hey Yo...
Now i understand there is already a thread about, Kimbo Slice and the possibility of him becoming a professional boxer, so please your thoughts on that should be expressed in that particular thread. Now onto mine.

Let's be honest Boxing hasn't been as strong and talked about as it used to be, i believe Boxing's main problem is it lacks strong personalities in key divisions. Back in the days we had Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali they were strong personalities that made their presence felt in boxing and created their own respective eras of domination. Im not saying Kimbo Slice will be the solution to boxing's problems and that he will bring it back to prominence but do you think Kimbo Slice in the heavyweight division is a major boost that the sport will benefit form regardless?

Personally i think it will, this guy was an internet sensation and he can draw crowds. He didnt go too well in the UFC but i saw that coming. Kimbo brings his own personality to the table and will bring a lot of benefit and popularity back to boxing if he does do well in the world of Boxing.

So, do you think Kimbo Slice will benefit and improve the world of boxing?

Kimbo will definitely help bring back some popularity to the Heavyweight division. Like you said Wolfpac, he draws. Put the thing is it will only be for a short period of time. I don't think he has enough skill to be at the top and challenge either Klitschko brother or Haye. The Klitschko's would tire him out for a few rounds with their jabs, than level him by like the 4th. If he couldn't KO guys with 4oz. gloves in MMA then he's not gonna go to far in boxing with 10oz. gloves. Like I said the initial landing of Kimbo in the boxing world, will have people tuned in, but if he ever fights top contenders they will expose him. If he fights the lesser known guys then it won't really bring nothing to the table for people to keep tuned into boxing, because what do they have to offer? People would just watch him then not care about anyone else in the division. Who knows him going to boxing might get Tyson to comeback. That would be a match I liked to see.

Buffalo Dave is right about Kimbo's impact being short lived. They'll put him in with some tomato can fighters in his first few bouts just like Gary Shaw did with him in Elite XC. Shaw,I believe, is going to be Kimbo's boxing promoter as well.

Honestly I don't see Kimbo getting past even mediocre heavyweights. And while the division is weak, it isn't weak enough for this guy to even get sniff at the Klitschko's, who are the only dominant Heavyweight's in the division. David Haye could call him out but Haye would have to pull out of the fight when the yellow streak running down his back causes him too much pain.

The idea that boxing is almost dead is absurd. We are thinking with a very nationalistic point of view. It has dropped in popularity in America but in countries like Mexico, Puerto Rico and numerous countries in Europe boxing is a great attraction.

Back on topic, Kimbo will draw some casual TV viewers but once he gets knocked out by a journeyman the hype will go away and so will Kimbo. It's a shame cause I think Kimbo is guy with a lot of character which was epitomized in the respect he showed to MMA and the respect he is showing for Boxing. But you can't start training this late in life and expect to have a legitimate impact. Most boxers start training and fighting as kids. It takes that long to become a contender.

Wouldn't mind seeing Kimbo vs Chris Arreola though. If only for all the cussing in the lead up.

And what happens when he gets knocked out in the first round by any other boxer? The hype train would end then and there and boxing would return to its dwindling state, especially the Heavyweight division. I am not trying to say Kimbo wouldn't bring some intrigue back to the Heavyweight division but his body just does not have the longevity to make any huge impact in the division. He may defeat some cans, but that won't impress any body who takes boxing seriously. It may bring in new fans, but as soon as he loses they will jump of board once again. Kimbo could make a short term impact on the Heavyweight division but he just doesn't have the long term drawing power that guys like Tyson, Ali, and Lewis had, they also had the benefit of starting a lot younger ages. I like Kimbo, I really do, but he is not the savior of boxing by any means and will only make a small impact if any.

Kimbo will not help benefit boxing as a whole, absolutley not. But will earn a few extra bucks? Fuck yes he will. Unless Kimbo fights Jones Jr. right off the bat (as is reported) then I'm pretty sure he'll fight some lower card scrubs, maybe get a win or two, then get his ass kicked convincingly by some unknown boxer. Then, who knows? Maybe a career in pro wrestling, or maybe he'll go back to fighting other big black dudes in backyards. But after he loses, Kimbos proffesional fighting career is definitley over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back