Kimbo is Cut From the UFC... What's Next?

Turd Ferguson

DA-DA Da Da Da Bah Da Da DADADA
After an entertaining first round last night, Kimbo Slice was beaten badly by Matt Mitrione with brutal leg kicks and hilariously bad submission attempts and brutal ground and pound. At the post-fight press conference, Dana White was asked about Kimbo's future in the UFC, and Dana's answer was rather blunt:

"Kimbo is done. We're going to cut him."

And so ends the Kimbo Slice experiment. I think he's still a draw. He had the crowd firmly behind him, and I'm sure a lot of the PPV buys will come from the fact that he was fighting on the card last night. I think it has to do though with the fact that his knees are shot, and Dana doesn't want him to suffer permanent injury. I think it also has to do with the fact that James Toney's on the roster, and Dana has always said he doesn't want to be the "Sideshow Guy". Having both Kimbo and Toney on the roster are two major sideshow attractions. Thirdly, Kimbo trains at American Top Team, and despite training there for around a year or so, he has no ground defense. If Matt Mitrione, the worst Heavyweight fighter on the roster can dominate him, there's really no room for him left in the UFC because he'll just get dominated each and every time.

I 100% believe Kimbo is still a draw though, and I bet he'll stay in the spotlight. There's enough freak fights out there for him to cash in on while he still has some name value. He can go over to Strikeforce and fight Bobby Lashley, Herschel Walker, and maybe even Fedor. If there's a major CBS fight that would draw ratings, it's Fedor Emelianenko vs. Kimbo Slice. Strikeforce would put that on in a second for some recognition.

If he goes over to Japan, I bet he'd be a huge attraction there as well. Bob Sapp, Jose Canseco, and Hong Man Choi are some of the fights that are likely waiting for him over there. Kimbo vs. Tim Sylvia would also be a hilarious fight.

Maybe he'll get one last shot in the UFC on a Versus or Fight Night card, facing a scrub like Tim Hague, just to see if he really does have anything left. Dana's said he'd cut fighters (Frank Trigg, for example) before at the press conference only to give the guy one more shot. I think that there's at least one more fight Kimbo can draw with, and I think the UFC should give him that shot. He did look impressive vs. Houston Alexander after all, and he gave Mitrione a lot of trouble at the beginning of the fight last night.

Maybe Kimbo's future isn't in fighting. Maybe he'll go on to make a bunch of bad Hector Evechhiarra movies and be the bodyguard for Reality Kings again. I still think there's an outside chance of him getting involved with wrestling on a part time basis for either the WWE or TNA. I think there's a huge opportunity for the WWE to make him the Wrestlemania celebrity attraction match.

Kimbo is most certainly at a crossroads right now. Where do you think he goes from here?

Watching that fight, I don't think Kimbo's lack of ground defense is what got him beat, I think it was the fact he absolutely gassed himself out completely with all of his slams. Had Kimbo not tried to slam Mitrione 4 times in the first minute, maybe he could have provided a little more of a challenge. When Kimbo was on top, I thought he did fine, as he did when he was on top against Houston Alexander.

I'm surprised Dana cut him already. I figured Dana would try to get one more Fight Night out of Kimbo's popularity, especially after how hard they featured him in TUF, and his win over Houston Alexander in which Joe Rogan absolutely gushed over Kimbo. Don't get me wrong, Mitrione is a whiny bitch, and will never be a contender, but at the same time, he isn't the worst guy to ever fight in the UFC either.

But yeah, I'm surprised we don't get at least another Fight Night out of Kimbo.

I'm almost certain Kimbo is done with the UFC. After last nights piss poor performance, plus having not learning ground defense especially at ATT did not do him any good. I agree with the premise that he should develop himself in Japan before even attempting to try the UFC again.

Surprised they aren't giving him one more fight. He's an obvious draw, well for now. It remains to be seen how the numbers for this card will play out but I'm sure that Dana and the Fertitta's will be happy with it. The only real thing is...who would he fight. Mitrione and himself are pretty much bottom of the barrel and you aren't obviously going to get a tougher fight after a loss. I'm pretty sure Justin Mcchully is no longer with the company so...

What's sad is Kimbo looked better in the fight with Nelson than he did last night and Big Country is infinitely better than Mitrione. I honestly don't know who they could give him. If there are any other TUF rejects laying around the back maybe but other than that it would just end bad for Kimbo. Not to mention his knees are in such shit shape. He may want to call it a day or permanent damage could be done. I'm sure he'll want to keep fighting though. He'll go to Japan and fight Zulu or Choi or someone. Or fight for smaller leagues in the USA.

What's Brad Imes' number...

First off, I think you are WAAAAAAAAY stretching the fact that Matt is the worst heavyweight on the roster. I can name quite a few he can be EASILY better than. Ben Rotheswell (sp?) and Stefan Struve can easily be names Matt can beat. Matt has really good hands, and his submission attempts weren't THAT laughable (Another overexaggeration) they just weren't applied to well in his positions.

Matt has always been a good fighter and he's getting better. But it's WAY to early to determine as him being the WORST.

I personally think the reason Kimbo got cut is because UFC isn't the place to LEARN how to fight. Kimbo is a very gifted boxer. Maybe he should box who knows.. But face facts, the dude hasn't been training as long as some as these fighters. And even if he can't cut it in the end, Kimbo says in EVERY interview "It's a learning process" and unfortunately as Dana told Brock "UFC isn't a place to learn how to fight."

For example, Stephan Bonnar has lost 5 out of his last 7, lost his last 3, yet he's in the UFC still.. Why? Maybe cuz Dana just likes him who knows. But since he is an established figher, he can still technically "bring it" and has a record of having good fights so who knows with Kimbo cuz he's so unpredictable. Chances are Kimbo will go to Strikeforce, if he proves himself there (With maybe 5 WINS and maybe having to be in a row) then Dana would bring him back. He's a great draw and he is exciting. But like someone said, it can't be some freak show. If you are in UFC, you have to KNOW how to fight.

Kimbo needs to learn about ENDURANCE.

Nothings next for Kimbo, I saw it live, he sucks, he had a good start for about 30 seconds and that was it, maybe Strikeforce brings him in, but really, he sucks, he'll never be in the UFC again. Period.

First of all, I think it's absolute bullshit that he was cut in the first place.

The fact of the matter is, Kimbo Slice is 1-1 in the UFC. How in the World is it justifiable to cut someone with that record, especially when you consider how professional he's been and how cooperative he has been with the company, doing everything they've asked him to do? Moreover, you cut Kimbo, but yet keep Stephan Bonnar around, a guy who not only tested positive for steroids, but is also on a 3 fight losing streak? Makes no sense, and I like Stephan Bonnar, but there's no way anyone could make a logical argument as to why he can stick around, but Kimbo can't.

Seriously, put Kimbo on as the opening fight on the next Fight Night show. What harm would that do? It wouldn't do any; in fact, it'd severely help the program's ratings, even after Kimbo's fight last night. I guarantee it.

Anyways, if the UFC does let go of Kimbo Slice, then of course Strikeforce will pick him up. However, and this is not a joke, but I think Kimbo should join WWE or TNA and become a professional wrestler. Seriously, Kimbo would be huge in pro wrestling. He's got a look, an entertaining personality, name value and wouldn't be any worse of a worker than most on the scene today; those ingredients tend to be the recipe for a successful wrestler, and Kimbo has all of them. Kimbo is just a marketable guy period, and I firmly believe the best move for him, if he gets cut by the UFC, is to go ahead and make some big $$$ in "fake" fighting.

First of all, I think it's absolute bullshit that he was cut in the first place.

The fact of the matter is, Kimbo Slice is 1-1 in the UFC. How in the World is it justifiable to cut someone with that record, especially when you consider how professional he's been and how cooperative he has been with the company, doing everything they've asked him to do? Moreover, you cut Kimbo, but yet keep Stephan Bonnar around, a guy who not only tested positive for steroids, but is also on a 3 fight losing streak? Makes no sense, and I like Stephan Bonnar, but there's no way anyone could make a logical argument as to why he can stick around, but Kimbo can't.

Seriously, put Kimbo on as the opening fight on the next Fight Night show. What harm would that do? It wouldn't do any; in fact, it'd severely help the program's ratings, even after Kimbo's fight last night. I guarantee it.

Anyways, if the UFC does let go of Kimbo Slice, then of course Strikeforce will pick him up. However, and this is not a joke, but I think Kimbo should join WWE or TNA and become a professional wrestler. Seriously, Kimbo would be huge in pro wrestling. He's got a look, an entertaining personality, name value and wouldn't be any worse of a worker than most on the scene today; those ingredients tend to be the recipe for a successful wrestler, and Kimbo has all of them. Kimbo is just a marketable guy period, and I firmly believe the best move for him, if he gets cut by the UFC, is to go ahead and make some big $$$ in "fake" fighting.

Regarding Stephan Bonnar, Dana White has said many times that no matter what their records are he won't cut Bonnar or Griffin. Stephan is a smart guy who knows his shit and could find work with the UFC possibly as a commentator or something. Of course he should be cut but it's never going to happen.

I also agree that there is no long term problems with giving Kimbo a couple more fights at shows like the TUF finales are Ultimate Fight Nights. The only real difficult thing about that is actual finding him an opponent. They don't want him to lose right away again so they can't give him anybody really besides Mitrione and he could't even beat him. The need somebody that's more than just a can though or they seem like they're giving his special treatment and protecting him. So they could do it and I wouldn't mind seeing it, but the well there would run dry rather quickly.

I will strongly disagree with you though about Kimbo getting into prowrestling. Like I said, a one time thing at Mania or Summerslam could be huge and I would love to see it. He has obvious name power and credibility to draw in a great number. Vince has also shown in the past with Shamrock and Severn that he is willing to work with mma guys. The difference is, those guys were young and in great shape stilll. Ken was almost 4 years younger than Kimbo is right now and already had a little bit of prowrestling training whereas Slice would be starting with none. It's no secret the kind of shape Kimbo's knees are in and prowrestling would be just as bad on them as mma would be. Coming form someone with knee problems themselves, once you lose that mobility it's more than liekly gone forever. It would be a huge health riskl for Kimbo. I'm not saying it's impossible, but not the best option for him.

This doesn't come as a major surprise to me, although it is a shame because I thought he was a fucking incredible character that brought some life to the UFC. However, him being cut is quite predictable really. Matt Mitrione is not a world-class competitor. Put him in the octagon with Frank Mir or Brock Lesnar and watch him get torn apart. However, he was better than Kimbo and is was telling in the second round. I agree with Sly though, had it not been for Kimbo trying to end the fight in the first round, he could have went on to win that fight and win it easily.

However, he gave too much effort to trying to put Mitrione away and he suffered for it later in the fight. He did slam Mitrione like a empty pillowcase though and after that, I though he would go on to win. Mitrione, to his credit, though was in a better condition that Slice was and the leg kicks were devastating in round two. It got to a point where Kimbo wasn't even moving when Mitrione was kicking and that is not a good thing. It was terrible to see him just gassing out and sand-bagging on the deck for the second round. Mitrione is shit though. His ground and pound was diabolical and he should have finished that fight a long time before the referee stepped in. Kimbo had every chance to beat him but needs to leanr how important cardio is in an MMA fight.

As for what is next for him, I say the sky is the limit. He is a very popular guy and although I knew his fight would more than likely be shit, I was still excited to see him on the card at UFC 114. Personally, I can see him going to Strikeforce and seeing what he can accomplish over there. I think he is done with the UFC for now, until he learns to be more of an athlete and that may take some time.

I'm really not shocked.

Most fighters have to rise up the ranks of other promotions before they are given a chance to fight in the greatest MMA promotion in the world. Naturally, there are exceptions (i.e. Brock Lesnar, Kimbo Slice). But they hang by a thin thread, all depending on whether they can draw money or not, and also depending on if they fit into the divisions.

Kimbo was given a golden opportunity by Dana white, and tried to capitalize on it the best he could. But, fact of the matter is that he was never good enough to be in the same league as the majority of the UFC fighters. Kimbo got his ass kicked in TUF and barely squeaked by Houston Alexander. Unfortunately, Dana wants to keep the reputation of having the best fighters in the world. Kimbo doesn't make the cut.

Watching that fight, I don't think Kimbo's lack of ground defense is what got him beat, I think it was the fact he absolutely gassed himself out completely with all of his slams. Had Kimbo not tried to slam Mitrione 4 times in the first minute, maybe he could have provided a little more of a challenge. When Kimbo was on top, I thought he did fine, as he did when he was on top against Houston Alexander.

But yeah, I'm surprised we don't get at least another Fight Night out of Kimbo.

Kimbo definitely gassed himself from the slams, but thats not the only reason he lost. First, he was not doing fine from the top, he was doing nothing. Also, as soon as they were back up, he was eating leg kicks like crazy. Even if he didn't gas he would have been TKOed from his inability to check Mitrione's kicks.

I really only have two theories one why Kimbo was cut so quick. First, Dana has always been hesitant to put fighters he likes in dangerous positions. After Kimbo winced after those leg kicks Dana knew his knees couldn't withstand the kicks of a UFC Heavyweight. Dana has talked about how much he likes Kimbo as a person so he may want to protect him.

My other theory may be a little far fetched but I don't put it out of the realm of possible. Dana may have cut him to prove he was right all along and say Kimbo didn't make it in the UFC. He can say he let him on the Ultimate Fighter, he got eliminated in the first round, he only defeated a guy in the weight class below him, and then lost his next fight to the only Heavyweight with less pro experience than him. After that he was cut, bottom line he didn't handle the UFC. Just a thought, but worth discussing.

As for whats next, Strikeforce says they will probably not sign him. They had the opportunity to do so when Pro Elite folded and opted not to. If Kimbo keeps training and wants to fight again, he'll find somewhere to go. I imagine Bellator would not pass up the slightest shot at signing him.

I'll say it again. Kimbo is in a LEARNING process and the UFC is NOT a place to learn how to fight. Brock Lesnar had an advantage because of his amazing wrestling and his strength. Kimbo is a great boxer, but that's it. He hasn't had ANY PRIOR MMA training, which means he's trained for what? Under 5 years? Even his COACHES say it. They don't boast about how awesome Kimbo is. They don't boast about how he's a killer. They boast about how great of a learner he is. And that's what Kimbo is doing. LEARNING. UFC is not the place to learn.

I personally think Kimbo should drop weight. The dude was what 225 at weigh in? That's SUPER small. I know dropping weight is pretty tough, but would he have a chance against someone like Brock? Brock would just shoot him down and ground and pound.

Have him get lean and lay off the muscles, get him lightening quick, and put him in Light Heavyweight. Hey, if Randy Couture can go heavyweight and drop, so can Kimbo lol.

And if all else fails, have Kimbo go to boxing. He's best there.

Well it wasn't surprising seeing Dana cut him after his recent loss. Given the fact Dana said before the TUF 10 that the only way he would ever fight in the UFC is if he won the show, we all know that didn't happen, but he drew huge numbers for the show so Dana gave him a shot anyway on the finale. Now I dont know if it was a fact or not but it seemed like Kimbo never had a contract with the UFC but was on a fight to fight basis. I always thought that once he lost Dana would stop using him.

As for whats next for him, I would hope he gets his knee's looked at. Especially the one that was causing him troubles during TUF. He was on there saying he didnt want to get shots or anything because he was afraid of the needles. Well its clear that his knees are in need of some scooping at least. They are just both huge targets for anyone he fights, his last fight with Mitrione just showed that all the more.

I believe Strikeforce will probably be calling him to come over and fight with them. He is still gonna be a draw no matter where he goes. It wouldn't surprise me if they sign him and put him up against someone like Herschel Walker. Hell the way Strikeforce is ran, they would probably sign him and give him a title shot.

Firstly, Kimbo lost that fight versus Mitrione because he is an awful fighter by UFC standards. He has developed no ground game from fight to fight, and I really have to question how he is even training because in my opinion he has looked insignificantly better as his career progresses. Kimbo has terrible ground game, and his stand-up game is weak as well. For example, Kimbo has no head movement, if he you notice, he moves his entire upper-body down as if his neck is rigidly attaching his torso and his head. He doesn't even have good boxing, he can arguably hit with a lot of power, but that is it, he cannot even sustain that because he runs out of stamina very quickly, he was by far the worst heavy-weight on the roster.

Matt Mitrione was the best possible heavy-weight fight for Kimbo Slice and he lost in horrible fashion. Mitrione has sloppy stand-up and a weak ground game, yet he took Kimbo to school on both ends. There simply isn't any thing for Kimbo Slice in the UFC or the heavy-weight division, and if he serious about improving (either he isn't, or physically isn't capable) then he has to move down to 205.

I am personally surprised, but happy that he was cut. Kimbo Slice didn't deserve to fight in the UFC in the first place, he went on the show and lost, then turned down an offer to fight McSweeny. Why was Kimbo offered a spot and not the others who lost? Because is a tremendous draw. That being said, I am happy he was cut because it was deserved, it doesn't matter if he was only 1-1, he beat a heavy, terrible looking Houston Alexander, and the was hand-wrapped Mitrione by the UFC, the best possible type of fighter for Kimbo and he was thoroughly beaten.

Personally, I think Kimbo goes to Japan to make some money, or goes to StrikeForce, but I wouldn't be surprised if StrikeForce turns him down. Scott Coker can recognize that Kimbo is an awful fighter, and simply having him on your main card (where his drawing appeal will benefit you) is an absolute farce, I think Coker is too smart to sully his brand by doing this.

Hey Yo!
Kimbo Slice is overrated. Full Stop.

He gets a win over Houston F'n Alexander he cares about him he's not even that good anyway people can argue that Kimbo Slice doesn't have the ground game blah blah. Bottom line is Kimbo Slice is not ready for the UFC you can just walk in the UFC and expect a cake walk he was dominated by friggen Matt Mittrione what the hell has he done.
Now im hating on Kimbo but he is just not ready and just didn't live up to the hype.
Maybe and i stress maybe if he goes through TUF again and dominates then you offer him a contract. Now im done.
.Tha Wolfpac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back