• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Kenny Florian Vs. Clay Guida

Marquis

A featured lightweight bout between Kenny Florian and Clay Guida has been moved to UFC 107 on Dec. 12 at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tenn.

ESPN’s "MMA Live" reported the re-scheduling on its Twitter account Wednesday. Florian also confirmed the new date to Sherdog.com via text.

The bout, originally slated to take place at UFC 106 on Nov. 21 in Las Vegas, has big shoes to fill: A light heavyweight matchup between Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Rashad Evans was called off Saturday after Jackson withdrew due to other commitments.

Jackson, who will star with Evans as rival coaches on Spike TV’s “The Ultimate Fighter 10” for the next 12 weeks, is currently filming a lead role in the remake of “The A-Team.” Evans told Sherdog.com Tuesday that the bout will be rescheduled in early 2010.

Florian was submitted by lightweight champion B.J. Penn in the fourth round of their championship bout at UFC 101 on Aug. 8. The 33-year-old host of ESPN “MMA Live” had won his last six bouts prior to that.

Guida, 27, lost a controversial split decision to Diego Sanchez at “The Ultimate Fighter 9” Finale in June. The Chicago-based wrestler is 5-4 in the Octagon.
Looking forward to this one. Whoever wins this match is still up there as a possible contender. Both Guida and Florian had good showings in their last fight. Guida took current number 1 contender Sanchez to a split decision that could have gone either way, and Florian took BJ on for 4 rounds and in my opinion, and apparently some judges, was winning the fight till BJ submitted him. So I think it's safe to say whoever wins this fight is right back up there in possible title contention.

As for the actual fight, I'm not sure who takes this, but I'm leaning towards Guida. Guida is a aggressive wrestler with a hard chin who pushes the pace of the fight. While Kenny himself is pretty well rounded with being a BJJ black belt and having decent Muay Thai. I think Guida might be too much for Kenny. I see Guida pushing the pace and getting Kenny down, while eating some shots of course, but I see Guida getting Kenny down and laying and praying on him. While Kenny should be fine off his back, Guida has improved in controlling BJJ artist off their backs as shown in the Diaz fight. Difference Kenny is a black belt, and hasn't had stamina issues, making it harder for Guida to control him, but I'm gonna say Guida takes this one by split decision, if anyone can really test someones gas tank it's Guida, and whoever gets tired first in this fight in my opinion loses this one. I'll be rooting for Kenny though. I want to see Penn Vs. Florian 2.

Thoughts on this match up?

Going to be a great fight.

I see it going the full three rounds, of course, as even though Florian is one of the best finishers in all of Mixed Martial Arts, it's damn near impossible to finish off Clay Guida, especially on the ground. So, yeah... I see it being a fast paced, up and down slugfest/ground war for 15 straight minutes, with neither fighter gassing. As far as who wins... that's entirely up to the judges, as I think it's going to be EXTREMELY close, but if you put a gun to my head and make me choose, then I'd have to go with Florian in a Split Decision victory. I have to admit though while I really like Kflo, I will be rooting for Clay Guida; it's just damn near impossible not to. He's such an exciting fighter and a great person on top of that. Hopefully he can finally get that big win.

But whatever... the only thing that really matters is that we're going to be treated with 15 minutes of non-stop action and I for one cannot wait. It's definitely going to end up being a Fight of the Year candidate, that's for sure.

This fight should be cool, but I don't know that it benefits either fighter all that much. If Kflo wins, and I think he will, he just lost to BJ. They're not going to throw him another title shot that quickly. Even if Diego manages to beat BJ, which I don't think is going to happen, Kenny is still a couple fights away from getting back to the title picture. If Guida manages to win, he'll probably get a title shot, but he's not of the ability level to be competitive with BJ. If Diego beats BJ, Clay just lost to Diego. They're not going to set that fight up that quickly either.

The only people it benefits is us the fans. It should be a wildly entertaining fight.

Reactions: X
This fight should be cool, but I don't know that it benefits either fighter all that much. If Kflo wins, and I think he will, he just lost to BJ. They're not going to throw him another title shot that quickly. Even if Diego manages to beat BJ, which I don't think is going to happen, Kenny is still a couple fights away from getting back to the title picture. If Guida manages to win, he'll probably get a title shot, but he's not of the ability level to be competitive with BJ. If Diego beats BJ, Clay just lost to Diego. They're not going to set that fight up that quickly either.

The only people it benefits is us the fans. It should be a wildly entertaining fight.

You took the words right out of my mouth BaconBits. I'm looking forward to this fight definitely, but it isn't really going to be an important match up. This just seems like a way for them to kind of kill time with these two while waiting to see what happens with BJ.

Should be a good fight though, definitely. I'm guessing this is going to be a real brawl.

I don't see how you can think this isn't a important match up. Rampage Jackson lost to Forrest Griffin and two fights later was up for a title shot against Lyoto which he turned down. Joe Stevenson himself who lost To BJ Penn, had a number 1 contender fight against Florian only after one win against Tibau since his Lose BJ. It's happened before, and I'm sure it will here also if Kenny wins. Since Sanchez is already set to fight Penn, I suspect the winner of this fight will go on to fight Gray Maynard for a possible shot at the belt.

I don't see how you can think this isn't a important match up. Rampage Jackson lost to Forrest Griffin and two fights later was up for a title shot against Lyoto which he turned down. Joe Stevenson himself who lost To BJ Penn, had a number 1 contender fight against Florian only after one win against Tibau since his Lose BJ. It's happened before, and I'm sure it will here also if Kenny wins. Since Sanchez is already set to fight Penn, I suspect the winner of this fight will go on to fight Gray Maynard for a possible shot at the belt.

Oh no Marquis, I was simply saying that this match isn't very important to me. Because neither of them has a chance of beating BJ in my opinion. I'm a mark for BJ, so seeing a rematch of KFlo and BJ doesn't excite me very much other tha watching BJ dominate him again.

The match obviously has ramifications for the division though, I wasn't trying to imply that it wasn't important in that sense.

I agree that Gray Maynard is next in line. I still don't think this fight benefits Kflo or Clay that much. Clay would probably get a shot at BJ or Gray, but he's not on that level, and probably never will be. He will be a career mid level guy. These guys are fighting for top gate keeper status. I think Frankie Edgar will get a shot in there before either of these two, and Nate Diaz too if he can scrape together a couple wins, even if he did lose a decision to Guida. What happens if Uriah Faber or Mike Brown decides to put on ten pounds? They get pushed even further down the line. It's not necessarily right, but it's how I see it going down. These two aren't at the top of the division right now, especially Kflo. He gets owned in multiple title fights, he's now a gate keeper, like it or not. The UFC is even viewing him that way now.

I agree that Gray Maynard is next in line. I still don't think this fight benefits Kflo or Clay that much. Clay would probably get a shot at BJ or Gray,
And that's what makes this fight important. The fact that if Clay or Florian win, let's say Guida in this case, He'd get a shot at BJ for the actual title, or a shot at Maynard for number 1 contender, which I think will most likely happen. This match up is important only for the fact that one of these can stay in the contender scene, if Clay loses he's not gonna get a shot at Maynard or BJ obviously, but if he wins he does. Making this match up important.
but he's not on that level, and probably never will be. He will be a career mid level guy.
Agreed.
These guys are fighting for top gate keeper status.
Florian was on a 6 fight win streak before fighting Penn, that doesn't seem like gatekeeper material. Clay on the other hand is 5-4 in the UFC, that is a gatekeeper.
I think Frankie Edgar will get a shot in there before either of these two,
Edgar I think has a long line to wait. He did lose to Maynard two fights ago, so you can't put him above Maynard at all. I would say Florian is above Edgar since he's only lost to the champ himself in a good showing. And Guida took current number 1 contender Sanchez to a split decision he could have won.
and Nate Diaz too if he can scrape together a couple wins, even if he did lose a decision to Guida.
Diaz is on a two fight lose streak. The only thing I think Diaz can hope for is keeping his job. If he loses Melvin, I'm pretty sure he's getting cut.

What happens if Uriah Faber or Mike Brown decides to put on ten pounds?
Then I'm gonna feel bad for them. They're gonna get sqaushed and laid on the mat by 180 pound wrestlers like Sherk and Maynard who cut to LW, not to mention BJ who's also a very big LW.
They get pushed even further down the line. It's not necessarily right, but it's how I see it going down.
I'm not sure why you would think Mike Brown would move up when he's the current champion of the division. Even if he loses his belt to Aldo, he could bounce back and get a rematch quick. Brown is too successful at FW to leave. As for Faber, he might. Faber can go through everyone except Brown apparently, although the 2nd fight was just bad luck that Faber broke both his hands. It's not like Faber is getting dominated, he just got unlucky in the 2nd Brown fight is all. I can't see neither of these guys moving, especially when there's not reason for it.
These two aren't at the top of the division right now, especially Kflo. He gets owned in multiple title fights, he's now a gate keeper, like it or not. The UFC is even viewing him that way now.
Multiple? He lost two title fights only. And I'm not sure where you're getting the UFC viewing him as a gatekeeper. He's been successful against everyone in the division except for BJ, and Sherk who he lost to 3 years ago. Not sure how you can have a gatekeeper who doesn't let anyone pass him, while Guida does. Besides the UFC is giving him a big match up, they're giving him Guida who took Sanchez to a split decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back