Ken Shamrock's Sad Story

Turd Ferguson

DA-DA Da Da Da Bah Da Da DADADA
Ken Shamrock was the very first MMA Fighter I ever had exposure to.

No, not from the WWF, but from PPV previews. Back when I was younger, I watched the PPV Preview channel sometimes and they were advertising a huge grudge match between him and Royce Gracie. I wanted to see the fight, despite not knowing anything about the two, because the way the UFC hyped the match, it made me want to see it.

And when he came to the WWF, I was an instant fan of his. I thought he was awesome and had the type of offense that I found entertaining. I wanted him to become WWF Champion, and I remember being upset when I found out he was going back to MMA. I thought he had so much left to do as far as opponents and accomplishments went.

To this day, I think that leaving the WWF at the time was a bad move for him. He had some early success in PRIDE, but as soon as he went back to the UFC to settle the score with Tito Ortiz, his career took a nosedive. He got thoroughly embarrassed by Tito on both TUF and in the three fights they had. The last fight he legitimately won was against Kimo Leopaldo in 2004. After losing to Tito in their third fight, the UFC cut him. Since then, he's been toiling in smaller organizations, expected to participate in fights and then backing out. He won again in 2009, and tested positive for steroids afterwards.

His latest fight was a loss to Pedro Rizzo in what could be described as one of the most depressing moments in MMA history. Rizzo leg-kicked Shamrock to death, to the point where he dropped to one knee, and Big John McCarthy wouldn't stop the fight. He eventually lost by leg kick TKO, and that was only because it became very apparent to Big John that Ken really couldn't continue.

After the fight, Ken said, "As long as the fans come and keep watching me, I'll keep getting beat up." Which to me is really reminiscent of Randy "The Ram" Robinson's speech in The Wrestler.

Shamrock is broke. Why else would be still be fighting despite being well past his prime? It's bad enough that the UFC is making him pay for their court fees from when he tried suing them for not honoring the last fight on his contract. It's really sad, because Ken was always more popular than his brother Frank, and I'm sure he made more money too. Frank seems very well-off right now, and he can go to sleep at night knowing he'll never have to fight again unless he wants to.

What should Shamrock do? He doesn't have money to open up another school and train fighters. With how badly his reputation has been hit these last few years, especially with what happened on TUF, nobody would probably want to learn from him anyway. He can't keep going out and fighting though. I've been a huge fan of his for literally as long as I can remember, and he shouldn't go out there and get killed for peanuts.

I honestly 100% believe that Shamrock should inquire about getting some kind of job with TNA as a wrestler. TNA seems to be open to taking any kind of person with name value... Balls Mahoney has a job there now for god's sakes. Shamrock was a damn good wrestler. He won't have to do much traveling. Most of the guys in TNA are professionals who would make sure they worked safe with him. He just needs to be in a place where he isn't going to suffer much anymore and make a colossal joke out of himself.

...and to make matters even more sad...

Shamrock made an appearance in the independent Wrestling company Juggalo Championship Wrestling, owned by Psychopathic Records, during their flagship annual event, Bloodymania 3.

I remember seeing Ken Shamrock in WWE, and loving his character, I also remember always wanting to see him and Angle go at it, I remeber thinking the two of them could have a great feud, sadly that will never happen... of course if he where to sign with TNA...

In all honesty I wouldn't mind seeing Shamrock in TNA or WWE even if it is as nothing more than a manager

I remember being very surprised that Shamrock had left the then WWF. Perhaps he was not interested in jobbing to Chris Jericho. Perhaps he felt that he had enough left for one last run at the top of MMA and his performance against Frye would suggest that he did. But the wrestling ring had probably taken the best years from Shamrock. The wear and tare took enough of a toll on his body that I would guess that training sessions the intensity of those that had gotten him to the top were just not achievable post 1999

I can certainly understand why Shamrock would choose MMA, as it's no where near as hard on the body, you can sort of pick when you work, it's competitive, and you don't have to kiss ass to get where you want to go. Throw in the fact Shamrock was a competitive martial artist for years before his WWE run, and it makes a lot of sense. In retrospect, it probably didn't work for him as well as he'd thought, but it's understandable.

As far as what I'd like to see Shamrock do now is color commentary. Watching some old UFC fights/shows, Ken Shamrock was very enjoyable on color commentary. Very knowledgeable, understood the fight psychology, had good personality, and knew when to talk and when not to.

I'd love to see him as a third man on a commentary crew.

I must be the only person who loves seeing Shamrock get the shit kicked out of him. Shamrock sullied the sport of MMA with his steroid usage and absurdly piss poor performances after talking more shit than Sonnen. Anything bad that happens to this guy is okay by me. I hate people like Barnett and Shamrock. What pisses me off MOST about Shamrock is that he waits until his name, career, and legacy are a complete fucking joke before admitting he was a cheater. His admission was nothing more than an attempt to put his name back into the spotlight. I HATE cheaters.

I, for one, will be looking for video of the Rizzo-Shamrock fight and will be watching gleefully as Rizzo kicks him into retirement.

Since after the 2nd fight with Ortiz I've been saying Shamrock should return to professional wrestling, but after reading Sly's post... I think I have to reconsider.

Sly just brings up a fantastic point about what the business does to the body, and to also your pride. I do firmly believe Shamrock has always been a better professional wrestler than he was MMArtist, but even still... it would be more of a risk wrestling a couple of times a week than just taking a beating once a year in MMA.

Sly brought up color commentary, which could be an option some day. As Sly said, he was very good at it back in the day. Much better than his brother Frank is today, anyway. Only problem is what promotion would hire him? Strikeforce isn't an option since Coker and Frank are so close. UFC and WEC... no chance in hell. And then there's DREAM, where I would LOVE to have Shamrock over Frank Trigg, but again... I don't think it's likely.

So maybe, while it would be hard, maybe it's just time for Shamrock to take a regular job. I'm sure he could get one that paid well enough. That plus conventions and random appearances and what not... he would be alright, no doubt about it.

Sly brought up color commentary, which could be an option some day. As Sly said, he was very good at it back in the day. Much better than his brother Frank is today, anyway. Only problem is what promotion would hire him? Strikeforce isn't an option since Coker and Frank are so close.

A rock could do a better job of color commentary than Frank Shamrock. That guy is a complete pitstain on MMA commentators around the world. You know my initial thoughts when Frank said he was retiring at the Werdum/Fedor fight..."Oh fuck, now I have to listen to this guy every time Strikeforce has a fight"

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back