• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ken Shamrock Admits to Steroid Use

BWEEZY2009

Pre-Show Stalwart
UFC Hall of Famer and MMA trailblazer Ken Shamrock admits he used steroids during his career.

The 46-year-old fighter and UFC 1 competitor confirmed the usage while a guest on Friday's new edition of "Fighting Words with Mike Straka" on HDNet.

Shamrock tested positive for multiple steroids after his most recent fight – a February 2009 submission win over the late Ross Clifron – but initially denied usage.

At the time and in a subsequent interview with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), his camp blamed the failed drug test on over-the-counter products that may have triggered a false positive.

Shamrock, who didn't explain exactly when the usage took place, told Straka it's easy for MMA fighters to acquire the banned substances.

"It's easy and simple," he said.

Shamrock, who's also been involved in professional wrestling with the WWE, placed some of the blame on fans, whom he said want to see muscled-up athletes but ostracize them if they fail a test or endorse the drugs.

"When they find out about it, they want to stick their heads in the sand," Shamrock said. "No one wants to take responsibility, but everyone wants to see [bigger athletes]."

HDNet teased Shamrock's announcement earlier today with an email/press release titled: "A UFC Hall of Famer admits using steroids during his fighting career." HDNet Fights CEO Andrew Simon also today appeared on MMAjunkie.com Radio to promote the announcement and a detailed "Inside MMA" panel discussion in which MMA veteran Dennis Hallman claimed as many as 50 percent of active MMA fighters use steroids.

The subject has been a hot topic throughout the week following MMAjunkie.com's report in which "The Ultimate Fighter 12" coaches Georges St-Pierre and Josh Koscheck discussed their desire for Olympic-style blood testing in MMA.

Shamrock, who's rumored to be fighting Pedro Rizzo at a July Impact FC event in Australia, snapped a five-fight losing streak with his win over Clifton. His career record stands at 27-13-2, which includes a 7-6-2 mark in the UFC and the organization's first-ever "UFC Superfight" championship. He was a first-ever UFC Hall of Fame inductee in 2003.

source/writing: mmajunkie.com

I know this doesn't directly point to the wrestling industry as the cause.. but you know with our media today it will most likely affect our sport. Comments?

"Yea, no shit"

Would be my comment. Fuck, if there was ANY fucking sport that I wouldnt be suprised to see dudes juicing, its the ultimate combat of MMA. If you wanted to dominate, and could get away with it, of course you are gonna take something to make you bigger, faster, stronger, and meaner. Did you fucking SEE Shamrock in 97? He may as well have had "steroids" tattood on his fucking forehead.

I dont think it will lower or raise the profile, regardless. People who think its chicken fighting wont think any different, and I doubt anyone who is a fan is gonna act real suprised.

Yeah I'm with Norcal here. Shamrock's character was someone who flew into blind rages. Assuming it was inspired by real life instances of him doing so, how many letters do I need to spot you to spell roid rage? The guy had muscles the size of babies' heads and people are supposed to be surprised by this? It was a different era when MMA and all sports were seemingly less controlled and regulated so people used more methods of cheating. It's just how it worked back then. No shock and it means nothing at all.

I really wouldn't be surprised if anybody in MMA, the wrestling business or any fight focusing sport came out and screamed "me steroids, me use!" or something along those lines.

Ken Shamrock admitting it is just another case in a business of fighting where we hear about it very often already, so it's not really anything that will affect any worlds because while some may look down on him for using it and some will consider it hurting his legacy, we can't deny that he still contributed and made results, and ultimately he's doing good for the business to this day, steroids or not.

Yeah, not surprised. When you watch those early UFCs, there are a few who stick out as far as being ridiculously muscular, and Ken Shamrock was definitely one of those guys.

Anyway, no... I don't think this will affect the sport at all. MMA has very strict drug testing, and they don't protect anybody. If you get caught using steroids, then you receive a punishment as harsh as anyone in the NFL or MLB would if they got caught. Plus, I don't think the media cares one bit about this. Ken Shamrock is a washed-up has been just trying to keep his name out there by running his mouth about stupid shit like this. He's not Mark McGwire... he's just a fighter who was a little popular, but then became a mainstream name when he became a star in the WWF. That's it... no one care for anything he has to say.

This is not surprising at all. Honestly I believe the only reason he is coming out and admitting this is because he wants the exposure. Shamrock is a shell of his former selof in regards to fighting is pretty irrelevant in the fight world anymore. He has to do something to get people to talk about him and what better way then admitting to doing something that most people already figured he did. Shamrock just needs to fade away in the sunset and try to kiss Dana's ass a little bit and get an ambassadors or commentators type of deal with UFC. Thats is all that is left for him besides the ass kicking Ricco Rodriguez will be putting on him in the next couple weeks if that fight actually goes down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back