Kate Middleton, and other naked celebrities

Tastycles

Turn Bayley heel
So by now, I'm sure the majority of you are aware of the fact that Kate Middleton has recently had topless photos taken of her and published in a French magazine, as well as a few other places. These photos were allegedly taken from the street, though it is clear that the guy taking them was a hell of a long way away.

Recently, it has been common for female celebrities to have pictures or videos off their mobile phone or social networking accounts leaked onto the internet. These often spread like wildfire, and often cause great embarrassment for those concerned.

So my questions are these:

1. Is it reasonable for photo journalists to try and get intimate photos of celebrities?

2. Is there a difference between a photographer taking a photo of Kate Middleton from miles away, but on public land, to somebody leaking the photos off Scarlett Johansson's phone or whatever?

3. Is it morally ok to look at the photos of celebrities that they haven't intended to go public?

No. [/post]

All three are completely and irrevocably immoral. The first two questions are boring so I shall ignore them. Example three however raises an interesting ethical debate that I intend to shut down ASAP.

No it is not moral to go looking for this kind of celebrity photo if it has been taken without consent. You are looking at a woman naked who doesn't want you looking at her naked - at best that makes you a total creep. You're a creep if you lurk in the bushes outside a woman's house trying to spy through her curtains, you're a creep if you hack her phone looking for risque photos and you're no less of a creep if you finance somebody else to perform these acts for you.

Looking at such images is not a victimless crime. By going looking for them you are financing the industry that will be responsible for the next set of photos to get leaked. The reason this cunt felt it worthwhile to follow Katr Middleton around with a telescope is because he knew he could sell the pictures, and he knows he can sell the pictures because millions of people will go looking for them once they go public. It's supply and demand.

Because I don't think it can be repeated enough; you're looking at a woman naked who doesn't want you to look at her naked. I haven't seen the Kate Middleton photos and I have no intention of changing that. The fact that there are millions of creepy fucks out there who will rationalize their behavior away (mostly on the grounds of "everyone else is doing it" or "she had it coming") does not make it OK.

The only person who should get to decide the morality of looking at Kate Middleton's breasts is Kate Middleton, and I'm pretty certain she's decided that she doesn't want you looking at them. If you consider yourself above respecting the lady's wishes then kindly take the time to answer the following question:

What the fuck is wrong with you?

We live in a very different media hyped world. Things are very different, and societys views on whats acceptable are constantly changing. In my opinon its not right, but its the world were in. The main problem you have here is if kate one day becomes queen in her later life, sadacts will pull up these photos from her younger days and try to embarass or mock her. Because they will always be there no matter what And thats crazy for the queen of england, i mean think about if it happend now with the current? ..... Crazy world.

There's nothing private about public figures in this day and age and it's something that they will sadly have to live with. Maybe if there was a suitable way of punishment for these breaches of privacy, but it seems that no matter how much uproar these incidents cause not damns are given about stopping them. People can take the time to complain about piracy and how it rips off people's work, knock down streaming websites and stuff but we can't stop and do something about the illegal exposition of a woman's body?

I'm guessing it has to damage the economy in some way for anyone to care enough to do something. There's nothing reasonable about taking a picture of someone nude without their consent or taking information from them and looking at a naked woman who doesn't want to be seen naked counts as sexual harassment when she's present. Would a picture of her be any different? I don't think so.

I think it fucking sucks when paparazzi chase famous people just to make a quick buck, and I also think its immoral for those media outlets who buy these photos to publish to invade their privacy.

No matter whether you love or hate famous people, they are human too & deserve a life of their own in private, fair-do's at ceremonies & appearances if the media have been given permission to follow these people & take photos & cover the news.

But while on a private holiday to have their privacy intruded on, Gimme a Fucking Break!!!!!

Kate & Prince William were having a great time, & if Kate wants to go topless to sunbathe, thats her choice & business, but again for a paparazzi lurking nearby is just plain fucking rude.

Paparazzi's should be hung, strung & quartered, and they should be banned & made illegal.

And after what the Paparazzi did to Diana, im surprised William didnt go & find that photographer & kick his fucking arse.

While they shouldn't be taking the photos the fact is, simply, she's a future Queen of England. She knows that she's going to be hounded for snaps every time she isn't in a concealed room. It's what she signed up for when she fell in love and agreed to marry William. They have enough minders and aides/advisers to know that, at no point, is it acceptable for the future queen to be getting her tits out as, even if it's in a "private villa" there's a huge chance they'll end up in the public domain.

Not fair they were printed but, the silly bint should've known better (especially considering what the whole deal with Williams mother and the press)

1. Is it reasonable for photo journalists to try and get intimate photos of celebrities?

It's probably not "reasonable" by the standards of your average person. The business of finding out celebrity news in all its forms, however, is far from a reasonable business. As with other journalists, photographers have to go after the news. While looking for any sort of dirt on celebrities might seem like tabloid fodder, it's news because it generates interest among millions of people. The fact that celebrity scandals are more enticing to millions of people around the world than the state of world politics doesn't invalidate what the reporter is doing. If nobody gave a crap about Kate Middleton, then there wouldn't be an issue.

2. Is there a difference between a photographer taking a photo of Kate Middleton from miles away, but on public land, to somebody leaking the photos off Scarlett Johansson's phone or whatever?

It's something of a low thing to do, no matter how you slice it. Again, however, this is the kind of stuff that millions of people want to know about. Because they want to know about it, you have well known publications willing to pay big money for stuff like nude photos of popular celebrities. While it's usually the photographers that often get all the crap, it's the tabloids and other publications that ultimately create situations. For instance, let's say you're a photographer that's and about and you happen to see a popular celebrity right now. Say..I dunno...say Emma Watson from the Harry Potter movies. You follow her around for a while, at a distance, taking pictures and you suddenly get a picture of her taking her top off. You start to get excited because you've come across a huge scoop in terms of celebrity news. You've got topless pictures of a hot Hollywood starlet that's been one of the primary characters in one of the biggest franchises of all time. You know why you're excited? Because these pictures will not only make your reputation but will start a major bidding war by every major tabloid publication out there. With these one set of pictures, you could be looking at a six figure payday. With such high stakes that've ultimately been created by publications willing to pay massive sums of money for exactly these sorts of shots, it's hard to blame someone for not going for it. In a lot of ways, you gain an opportunity to advance yourself at the expense of others. It's not always pretty, but neither is life. Sure it also has something of a scummy feel about it. At the same time, it's easy to justify such actions to yourself. Some could argue that it's no less scummy than pro athletes making tens of millions of dollars a year playing games ultimately created for kids.

3. Is it morally ok to look at the photos of celebrities that they haven't intended to go public?

While I do believe that there should be boundaries that people shouldn't cross, you sometimes have to wonder how many of these photos or videos were actually "leaked". Today especially, thanks to the internet and reality television, it takes less talent than ever to be a big star. If you wanted to be famous twenty years ago, you actually had to be able to sing or dance or act or have athletic ability or have a lot of intelligence. These days, all you have to be willing to do is act like an idiot or take nude pictures or make sex tapes that are "leaked" to the press.

As far a the morals for celebrities that legitimately don't intend for things to be leaked, I'd say it's not morally right. I know the concept of doing the decent thing and respecting someone's privacy seems outdated these days, but it really shouldn't be. At the same time, it makes me think of how the game is played and it very much is a game. Celebrities court endless attention when they want something and when it's convenient for them. They can't get enough of the photographers and paparazzi whenever they're on the red carpet or have a movie coming out or a tv show about to debut or a new album about to be released. The rest of the time, however, they believe that the photographers should just go away. For a lot of celebs, it just screams entitlement and part of me does like to see people like that taken down a few pegs. If you're someone that chooses to live your life in the public eye, then there are going to be trade offs. It's foolish and even arrogant to expect otherwise.

While it might be morally wrong, the VAST majority of big success stories among celebrities come about because someone is willing to make the most of an opportunity. For instance, like I said earlier, there are tons of people today that are famous or wealthy without having any real talent other than making a fool of themselves. However, that can lead to major financial gains so, in some ways, I can't blame them for taking advantage of an opportunity when it comes their way. That's how fame & fortune are generally earned. As far as Kate Middleton goes, she had to know what she was getting into. When she first started dating one of the members of Britain's Royal Family and son of the late Princess Diana, she'd have had to be a complete moron not to know what she was getting into. At the same time, I bet she was thinking & seeing dollar signs the first time she went out with her future hubby. Again, this is a gal that saw a huge opportunity and she went for it. That means you have to expect some bad to pop up along with all the good that's going to come about. No matter what, you can't have it all no matter how rich or famous you are. There are always going to be some trade offs and you're kidding yourself if you believe otherwise.

I'm just going to address #2 and #3, as #1 doesn't interest me.

2. There is a difference, two differences actually. The first difference is one is legal and the other is not. The picture taken of Kate Middleton, to the best of my knowledge, is completely legal (at least in the United States, don't know the laws in other countries). Hacking a celebrity phone is not legal.

With that said, I have a FAR bigger problem with the photos taken of Kate than photos leaked from a phone. Why? Because if you're a celebrity, and you STILL leave naked pictures of yourself on your phone, then you're just stupid. Every celebrity should know the dangers of leaving embarrassing photos of yourself on your phone and they should not be putting themselves at risk. What happened to Kate, however, was an equally as big of an invasion of privacy, but it's worse because Kate had the reasonable expectation of privacy when she's lounging with her family some place where there's no one around as far as the eye can see.

3. I don't think it's morally wrong to look at the photos. The fact of the matter is, no matter what religious beliefs try to tell us, the human body is not something of which to be ashamed. The human body is a natural product of nature. The idea it is morally wrong to look at a person in their natural state seems strange to me, especially when we're just discussing breasts, which play no real part in creating human life.

Once we dismiss the idea the naked person is somehow morally wrong, we then have to examine whether looking at ANY picture of someone taken without their permission is morally wrong, and I don't think many of us would consider that to be the case. If someone takes a picture, and I'm in the background unaware, is it morally wrong for the taker of that photograph to look at it, because it was taken without my permission? Obviously, that seems silly.

So no, I don't think it is morally wrong to look at the photo, once it has been released. I believe it's wrong to invade a person's privacy, and I could go along with the idea it may be wrong to RELEASE the naked photo for the purpose of profit, but I don't think it is wrong to simply look at them.

1) Is it reasonable to take those kind of pics? Well of course if someone is willing to pay for them it is reasonable, at least in that respect. If the photo is taken without any breach of law, then it is "fair game". However it is rare that this is the case, most paps utilize harrasment, bullying and dangerous tactics to get said photos. If we discount conspiracy, then Diana is a major case in point of this.

2) Again, it comes down to legality where you are. If the pap has a right to be where they are, with that camera then what they photograph is again "fair game". Did Kate and William's security screw up? no they have reasonable perimeters. That it is possible to take that photo from so far away, rightly or wrongly puts the onus back onto the person being papped. I am sure that next time they will hire out a private island with an exclusion zone.

3) Are we right to look? No but we're going to... let's take the Alison Pill photo the other week. She messed up by her own admission, here is someone I had never heard of by name, but the article that said about it showed the pic of her with her breasts out in a movie. So she published that pic (even in error) so year, we can look. If it's ScarJo, Kate or most celebs I am going to look if it's out there. I didn't put it out there but I ain't paying to see it. So I am not contributing to the "seedy culture".

This has set up a whole can of worms in England in particular, William as future King has a long standing "deal" with the press from his time at Uni that Kate also beneffited from. They left him (and Harry) alone to an extent, on the proviso of co-operation on other matters. Of course no British source has published the pics, but it's a very interesting test as to how monarchy still works. Will our queen get on to the Danish royal family and pull some strings? Will the magazine suddenly have issues/disappear? It's entirely possible.

Ultimately though, if you put yourself in the public eye, profit from it or even put yourself above others through it for one second. You are fair game to be papped, your life raked over and every person you ever wronged sell their story. It's sad but true... We're on a wrestling forum, we rake up wrestlers pasts, off screen antics and failings every day as if we were there... Is there a difference between us and the paps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back