Just How Many HBK Matches Are Worthy Of Being MOTY?

Y 2 Jake

Slightly Autistic
Hbk96rRko09 said:
apparenly you havent did your research because him vs jericho no mercy ladder match was alsos restling observer newsleer match of the year as well as freud of the year1 and as i stated nine time pwi match of the year winnwer. 93-janetty 94-razor 95-nash 96-hart 04-cb and hunter 05-kurt 06-vince 07-cena 08-jericho so i would aprreciate vif you would give me my rep points back.

Y 2 Jake said:
You are slower than my internet connection.

Hbk96rRko09 said:
just because you doesn't think it was the match of the year doesn't make it so. apparently you one of the minority who thinks that

I'd do a poll if I knew exactly which matches had won MOTY. I'm only really doing the thread because the numpty who PM'd me hasn't got any space left for me to reply to him.

But anyway, out of all those matches that he listed I'd personally say that only the Razor, Benoit/HHH, Angle and maybe another one were worthy of being voted as Match Of The Year. I'm sure he's had better, and I know for a fact he had better matches in 1996 than the crappy Iron Man match with Bret Hart.

If it was my vote it would only be the Angle match but several of those I don't have a problem with because they were great matches. The Razor match is arguable because personally I thought the Bret vs. Owen cage match at Summerslam was a better match and should have been MOTY but the ladder match was excellent as well so I have no problem with it getting it but I just wouldn't have voted for it. I never really liked the Nash match so that definitely didnt deserve it in my eyes, I thought either Bret's match with Davey Boy Smith or HBK's match with Jarrett should have won it that year. The McMahon match I didn't care for that much either, it had a couple great spots but I didn't think it was match of the year worthy. The rest of them were great(Ive yet to see the Jericho match in 08) and even though I personally wouldn't have picked them I dont have a problem with it because they were great matches. Plus I can't really think of any particular matches off the top of my head that I would have picked over them I just feel like there had to of been better. So to sum it up I guess I would say that they were all deserving with the exception of McMahon and Nash but personally I probably wouldn't have picked them.

Same thing guys, i'm not sure on what was MOTY but i can name my favourite matches and possibly someone can find out the MOTY winners?

Summerslam 2002 - Non Sanction Match HBK V HHH
Badd Blood 1997 - Hell in a Cell HBK V Undertaker
Wrestlemania 19 - HBK V Y2J
King of the Ring 1997 - HBK V Austin
Wrestlemania 23 - HBK V Cena

and that's just a few of the top of my head.

Opinions?

these are my fav hbk matches

summerslam 2002 - hbk vs hhh
wrestlemania 21 -kurt angle vs hbk
king of the ring 96-hbk vs british bulldog
badd blood 97-hell in the cell hbk vs undertaker
royal rumble 98- casket match hbk vs undertaker
wrerstlemania 19 hbk vs y2j
wrestlemania 9-hbk vs tatanka[only good match of the night]
wrestlemania 10-ladder match hbk vs razor ramon
wrestlemania 20-hbk vs hhh vs benoit

heres a question whats your top 5 dream matches i would do a thread but i dont know how to

How can anyone call the iron man match bad? that's absolutely ludicrious! anyways here is my fav HBK matches:

Ladder Match vs. Razor
Iron man match vs. Bret
hell in a cell vs Taker
WM 19 vs. Jericho
Raw match vs HHH Dec 02 ( ithink)
hell in a cell match vs HHH
WM 21 vs Angle
April 07 hourlong Raw match vs Cena
WM 24 vs Flair (if for no other reason than the story)

anyone know how to make a new thread, i wanted to make one wondering what people thought are the top 5 mania matches since WM20 (they did a show then about the 10 greatest matches ever at WM) I'm curious as to what people think are the classic matches from the last 5 manias that people will still be talking about 10 years from now

A match with HBK that I always liked that isn't listed here is the Survivor Series 1992 match against Bret Hart. That was a match that I think kind of said to the fanbase, "Hogan and the Warrior aren't here anymore, Savage isn't going to wrestle much longer, Flair is leaving soon, time to get used to seeing these guys at the top." It was also a very good match.

I may have missed these as well, but two other matches from 1996, the No Holds Barred against Diesel and the match against Mankind from Mind Games, which were both on the first DVD from a few years back, were pretty good matches. Not saying that they were MOTY or anything, but they were good matches.

The WrestleMania 22 match against Vince being voted MOTY just shows that there were no really good matches that year, or that people chose to forget anything else. That HBK/Vince match was pretty much a squash. I seem to recall Edge and John Cena having either a ladder match or a TLC match at either SummerSlam or Unforgiven that year that I thought was probably the best match of that year, but that's just my opinion.

Wiki tells me the list looks like this;

1993 - Shawn Michaels vs. Marty Jannetty - Too young to remember 93 really, but I have seen the match and have decided that it must've been a slow year that year.

1994 - Razor Ramon vs. Shawn Michaels - Same with this one, it's a good ladder match and Razor deserves more credit than what Naitch gives him. Match of the Year? Maybe. Although I am sure if I do some research I'll find a better one.

1995 - Diesel vs. Shawn Michaels- Boring match, their cage match at that cliq' incident place was better.

1996 - Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels - The iron man match? One of the most boring matches I can think of, and I like Bret and Shawn.

2004 - Triple H vs. Chris Benoit vs. Shawn Michaels - Maybe, what else happened in 04? John Cena vs Big Show was pretty damn good.

2005 - Shawn Michaels vs. Kurt Angle - It's a good match, I think I was busy that year.

2006 - Shawn Michaels vs. Vince McMahon - This match sort of proves PWI's undying love of HBK, it sucked hard. Cena vs HHH was better. Cena vs Angle. Fuck Angle vs Mark Henry was much better than this.

2007 - John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels - I might be inclined to agree, but like most of HBK's MOTY I can think of better matches that night. Batista vs Undertaker gives it a run for its money.

2008 - Ric Flair vs. Shawn Michaels - This match was shit. Khali squash > This shit.

I dont know, my memories really not that great. All I know is most of the matches on that list havent entertained me nearly as much as certain other matches that year. I guess it's just highly debatable.

After all these are the people that put the TLC (Hardys, Dudleys and E&C) higher than Rock vs Austin, Undertaker vs HHH, HHH vs Austin, HHH vs Jericho, and many more (let me know if I've got dates mixed up). So they cant be trusted really.

Miko "El_Miz" Mizzannon;880634 said:
Wiki tells me the list looks like this;

1993 - Shawn Michaels vs. Marty Jannetty - Too young to remember 93 really, but I have seen the match and have decided that it must've been a slow year that year.

1994 - Razor Ramon vs. Shawn Michaels - Same with this one, it's a good ladder match and Razor deserves more credit than what Naitch gives him. Match of the Year? Maybe. Although I am sure if I do some research I'll find a better one.

1995 - Diesel vs. Shawn Michaels- Boring match, their cage match at that cliq' incident place was better.

1996 - Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels - The iron man match? One of the most boring matches I can think of, and I like Bret and Shawn.

2004 - Triple H vs. Chris Benoit vs. Shawn Michaels - Maybe, what else happened in 04? John Cena vs Big Show was pretty damn good.

2005 - Shawn Michaels vs. Kurt Angle - It's a good match, I think I was busy that year.

2006 - Shawn Michaels vs. Vince McMahon - This match sort of proves PWI's undying love of HBK, it sucked hard. Cena vs HHH was better. Cena vs Angle. Fuck Angle vs Mark Henry was much better than this.

2007 - John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels - I might be inclined to agree, but like most of HBK's MOTY I can think of better matches that night. Batista vs Undertaker gives it a run for its money.

2008 - Ric Flair vs. Shawn Michaels - This match was shit. Khali squash > This shit.

I dont know, my memories really not that great. All I know is most of the matches on that list havent entertained me nearly as much as certain other matches that year. I guess it's just highly debatable.

After all these are the people that put the TLC (Hardys, Dudleys and E&C) higher than Rock vs Austin, Undertaker vs HHH, HHH vs Austin, HHH vs Jericho, and many more (let me know if I've got dates mixed up). So they cant be trusted really.

Hey bud dont know how old you are or anything, but bro maybe u should watch some of them matches over again, and apparently u are an hbk hater. And also i dont know why u are so against the rick vs shawn match last year at Mania, but it was the best match on the card, and deserved MOTY if nothing else but like the guy above said the story and becuse it was the very last match of the best wrestler in wrestling history.

And btw my favorite matches of shawn are

Shawn Vs Hunter badd blood
Shawn vs Bret Hart Wrestlemania ironmatch
Shawn vs Vince Wrestlemania 22
Shawn vs Cenad Wrestlemania 23
and most importantly
Shawn vs Rick Flair Wrestlemania 24
:suckit:

The only ones I deem worthy match of the year were 2004 and 2005. I can't think of any other matches in 2004 that were great. Shawn Michaels and Kurt Angle put on a hell of a match at WM 21 so I consider that Match of the Year worthy. Let's look at the past three years:

2006- Picking HBK/McMahon as MOTY was just embarassing. Cena/HHH was whole lots better and the MOTY IMO should have been Angle/Undertaker at No Way Out

2007- I liked the Batista/Undertaker match more than the Cena/Michaels. That was the best match Batista ever wrestled and he took Undertaker to the limit and they had good matches afterwards.

2008- I get the nostalgia factor of Flair/HBK but the match itself was horrible. Any of the Edge/Undertaker matches could have been MOTY and I can name some mid-card matches that were better (MVP/Hardy Summerslam, Bourne/Hardy Cyber Sunday)

I knew it was a few posts back and all but here are my top ten favorite HBK matches (no particular order)

1) Gold Rush Tournament vs Shelton Benjamin ....totally great finish.

2) WrestleMania 21 vs Kurt Angle .....Show-Stealer!

3) Summerslam '02 vs Triple H ....the comeback that i never thought i'd see.

4) Badd Blood '97 Hell in a Cell vs Undertaker ....simply brutal yet innovative.

5) WrestleMania XII Iron Man Match vs Bret Hart .....his first title win.

6) King of the Ring '96 vs British Bulldog ....a very hard-worked match by both men.

7) WrestleMania 23 vs John Cena .....and people say hbk didn't have it in him anymore?

8) WrestleMania XIV vs Stone Cold (HBK's effort alone makes this a favorite)

9) Royal Rumble '04 Last Man Standing vs Triple H ......one of my favorite bulidups to a match

10) WrestleMania XIX vs Chris Jericho ....it was like watching hbk go against himself. what more could you ask for?

...What do you guys think?

Hey bud dont know how old you are or anything, but bro maybe u should watch some of them matches over again,

I dont want to watch them again, some of them were bad enough first time round. Although I am fair, most of them are good matches (barring the iron man match, Vince vs HBK and Flair vs HBK) but there have been plenty better. The only one I think that makes it is HBK vs Cena. Not even the Kurt Angle one makes it.

and apparently u are an hbk hater.

I think the guy's old, tired and unentertaining these days but as far as Shawn when he was younger goes, the guy was good and I am a fan. I still dont understand the internet love for him though, not to mention PWI. Seriously HBK vs McMahon as match of the year?

And also i dont know why u are so against the rick vs shawn match last year at Mania, but it was the best match on the card, and deserved MOTY if nothing else but like the guy above said the story and becuse it was the very last match of the best wrestler in wrestling history.

That match was almost as much of a snooze-fest as the hour long iron man match. This is coming from a Bret Hart fan. It was tiresome, the only good part was thinking that we'd seen the back of Flair. I mean the guy was pretty good 30 years ago, but the best wrestler ever? I disagree but it's a debate for another thread.

Don't worry about this HBKRKOguy jake. He pretty much is an HBK apologist to a T.

As far as the specifics of this thread.

1993 vs. Marty Jannetty: Well if that match from Raw was the match of the year, then it speaks to a terrible year in pro wrestling. The match was obnoxious. Sure ther ewas a nice initial Shock factor of Jannetty showing up, but to this day Jannetty sucks. This match was good, but certainly not a match of the year for any year.

1994 vs. Razor Ramon: Well considering that this match wasn't even the best match of the night, it certainly wasn't the best match of the year. Bret Hart vs. owen hart either opening up Wrestlemania or their Summerslam cage match were far better then the original Ladder Match, the Ladder Match was good, but the brothers delivered a better show.

1995 vs. Diesel: Pretty much sums that one up right away. 1995 was an awful year for wrestling, and if this piss bucket poor excuse for a wrestlemania title match was match of the year, then their is no reason to explain why I stopped watching around this time. This match was freaking dreadful.

1996: vs. Hart: The Hour. One of the worst and more poorly booked matches possibly in history. It was good in concept, but the two Iron Man matches since then have been much better. These two put on better matches at the two Survivor Series they wrestled on.

2004: Vs. Triple H and Chris Benoit. Again, another situation where it wasn't even the best match on the card. Christian vs. Jericho was a much better match then the main event, and I'm a Benoit fan. Hell, Randy Orton vs. Benoit at Summerslam was a killer match, and Randy Orton vs. Edge at Vengeance is the best IC Title match of the decade.

2005: vs. Kurt Angle: No Problem with this matchup right here. Probably the best match in the history of Wrestlemania, and I say that without hesitation.

2006: vs. Vince McMahon: Honestly just god awful. Again, another situation where this wasn't even the best match of the night. Edge vs. Mick Foley was 1000xs better then the HBK spotfest with Mcmahon. Hell, it was probably the most boring Vince McMahon match that I've ever watched. Oh, and then there was that little match with Taker and Angle a month before.

2007: vs. John Cena. I tend to forget whether this is the Raw or Mania match, but regardless, Batista and the Deadman had a better show at Mania. Hell, John Cena had a better matchup with Bobby Lashley at Night of Champions in a truly great match.

2008 vs. Ric Flair: Lawls. One of the biggest mockeries of this award. It was no fault of Michaels, he tried to have a goo dmatch, it's just, well Flair sucks. If this match was 15 years ago, maybe, but not now. Again, not even the best match of the night, hell not even one of the top 5 matches of the night.

Coincidentally on the years he didn't win, I think he probably has a good argument.

1997: I tend to think the Cell match was better then the I Quit match at Mania with Austin and Bret. However, both were phenomenal and there wasn't really a right or wrong choice.

2002: vs. Triple H. The Rock vs. Hogan was one of the worst matches ever. Outside of the crowd involvment, the match was just horrible. The street fight at Sumemrslam was phenomenal and proved what michaels could do.

2003: vs. Jericho. Phenomenal Wrestlemania match. I love this match, but Benoit vs. Angle at the Rumble was the best match I've ever seen.

1993 vs. Marty Jannetty: Well if that match from Raw was the match of the year, then it speaks to a terrible year in pro wrestling. The match was obnoxious. Sure ther ewas a nice initial Shock factor of Jannetty showing up, but to this day Jannetty sucks. This match was good, but certainly not a match of the year for any year.

Shocky is only right insofar as the Raw part of it. Shawn and Marty DID have the MOTY, but it was at Royal Rumble, not RAW. The Rumble match had build up, wasa clinic of near falls, and one of the best frustrating heel retentions of all time. A classic on a night in which the Rumble saw the important - though boring - arrival of Yokozuna as a main eventer.

1994 vs. Razor Ramon: Well considering that this match wasn't even the best match of the night, it certainly wasn't the best match of the year. Bret Hart vs. owen hart either opening up Wrestlemania or their Summerslam cage match were far better then the original Ladder Match, the Ladder Match was good, but the brothers delivered a better show.

Shawn vs Razor was more important than Hart vs Hart, in retrospect. Shawn vs Razor re-established the importance of the Intercontinental Title, proved that Michaels had Main Event genes, and set the stage for future ladder matches on PPV, ergo TLC, ergo MITB. Hart vs Hart was a terrific series, but in terms of importance? Bleh. Owen didn't even use the momentum from the win to become a World Champion.

1995 vs. Diesel: Pretty much sums that one up right away. 1995 was an awful year for wrestling, and if this piss bucket poor excuse for a wrestlemania title match was match of the year, then their is no reason to explain why I stopped watching around this time. This match was freaking dreadful.

Spot on, Shocky 1995 was a much better year to watch hockey (Devils won their first cup!) because wrestling was abysmal. It was pre-NWO, but post-anything important. 1995 was like a year long Lance Storm vs Dean Malenko.

1996: vs. Hart: The Hour. One of the worst and more poorly booked matches possibly in history. It was good in concept, but the two Iron Man matches since then have been much better. These two put on better matches at the two Survivor Series they wrestled on.

Again, an important match. Maybe it wasn't good, but you cannot deny the influence. It'd been a while since guys had gone an hour long - and it wasn't a WWE thing, it was an NWA or AWA thing. It also earned Shawn his first World Title, and signaled a new, albeit unimpressive, era in the Fed.

2004: Vs. Triple H and Chris Benoit. Again, another situation where it wasn't even the best match on the card. Christian vs. Jericho was a much better match then the main event, and I'm a Benoit fan. Hell, Randy Orton vs. Benoit at Summerslam was a killer match, and Randy Orton vs. Edge at Vengeance is the best IC Title match of the decade.

Yeah, Shocky's right again. Match was great, but Orton vs Edge was a damn classic. Much better work was seen in 2004 than the Triple Threat, but the main event of Wrestlemania in which the long standing work ethic of Mr. Benoit was finally rewarded.

2005: vs. Kurt Angle: No Problem with this matchup right here. Probably the best match in the history of Wrestlemania, and I say that without hesitation.

Absolute classic. Seconded.

2006: vs. Vince McMahon: Honestly just god awful. Again, another situation where this wasn't even the best match of the night. Edge vs. Mick Foley was 1000xs better then the HBK spotfest with Mcmahon. Hell, it was probably the most boring Vince McMahon match that I've ever watched. Oh, and then there was that little match with Taker and Angle a month before.

I actually enjoyed thie feud, but Taker / Angle was a far superior match, and yes, Foley / Edge. Shocky's right on this one.

2007: vs. John Cena. I tend to forget whether this is the Raw or Mania match, but regardless, Batista and the Deadman had a better show at Mania. Hell, John Cena had a better matchup with Bobby Lashley at Night of Champions in a truly great match.

Great match, face vs face. Cena vs Lashley was ok, but forgettable, and Batista vs Taker was ok. Shawn vs Cena was a tremendous match, and they left you guessing who would win.

2008 vs. Ric Flair: Lawls. One of the biggest mockeries of this award. It was no fault of Michaels, he tried to have a goo dmatch, it's just, well Flair sucks. If this match was 15 years ago, maybe, but not now. Again, not even the best match of the night, hell not even one of the top 5 matches of the night.

The best worst match in wrestling history. An apt end for a legend at the hands of a man who respects him, with a nice ending that made many in the bar I was at cry a bit. Shawn tried is best to carry this - A for effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back