Josh Hamilton or Prince Fielder?

Big Sexy

Deadly Rap Cannibal
Texas Rangers co-owner Bob Simpson has come out publicly and said that he would rather have the Rangers resign Josh Hamilton then go out and sign Prince Fielder. This begs the age old question, who ya got?

I personally would rather have Fielder if I'm the Rangers. He is the younger of the two, first base is a position of need for the Rangers, and most importantly Fielder doesn't have the injury past of Josh Hamilton. Fielder has played in at least 157 games every season since he became a starter and in the last three years he has only missed one game. Hamilton has missed 143 games total over the last three years and he is coming off a season where his numbers were down across the board from the previous year.

I'd rather give big money to a 27 year old with no injury history over a 30 year old who has only come close to playing a full season once. The fact that the Rangers have some great young talent in the outfield is another reason I'd rather have Fielder. I don't think Mitch Moreland is the answer for the Rangers at first so this way they fill a need at first and still have a few young options to replace Hamilton in the outfield.

The safe bet is Prince. He likely gets you 30+ HRs a year, 100+ RBI, and around a .280 average. He's solid in the field and his health hasn't hampered him. You get that kind of production at the plate it seems pretty clear he is safe to go with.

Hamilton isn't safe. His health isn't as reliable. His style of play doesn't give him that. Add to that you don't know how his former addictions could hamper his future. However, his production is pretty damn good too. In 133 games in 2010, he hit .359, 32 homers, and 100 RBI. Not bad for getting injured and missing almost all of the last month. Last year his production dipped to .298, 25, and 94 in 121 games.

Now, if both are going to be healthy, it makes my decision a lot easier. With a clean bill of health I will gladly take Josh Hamilton over Prince. The guy is one of the top talents in the game, and could have quite possibly been one of the top players in the game if not for his past drug addictions. Prince has similar to higher numbers in more games played. Hamilton could eclipse his numbers in a full season, and maybe even beat Prince.

Healthy, for me it's Hamilton easy. Health in question, safe bet is going Prince.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back