Jose Canseco in MMA

Ty Burna

Getting Noticed By Management
Jose Canseco used his muscles to take pitchers deep and trade blows with Danny Bonaduce.

Now the former MVP will step onto the mat and try MMA.

In his latest attempt to cash in on his flagging post-baseball career, Canseco is set to make his mixed martial arts debut on May 26 in Japan. The former Oakland A's slugger and tell-all author is fighting South Korean Hong Man Choi on the Dream 9 card in Yokohama Arena.

Choi is a 7-foot-2, 330-pound super heavyweight and has a 1-2 record in MMA.

"I have no idea if I can do it," Canseco said Thursday night. "It's a tough sport."

Canseco has written two books, starred in a pair of reality shows, and had two celebrity boxing bouts since his 17-year baseball career ended. He boxed Bonaduce, a former "Partridge Family" child star, to a majority draw in a match in January. Canseco was listed at 6-4 and 260 pounds for that exhibition bout that featured only three, 1-minute rounds.

Canseco, who named names of alleged steroid abusers like himself in his two books, lost to former Philadelphia Eagle Vai Sikahema in his first foray into celebrity boxing.

Canseco's girlfriend, Heidi Northcott, said the MMA deal was presented to Canseco about two weeks ago. The 1988 AL MVP is part of a card that includes an eight-man open-weight tournament and is being called the Super Hulk Tournament.

By his acknowledgment, the baseball outcast needs the money. It's one reason why Canseco has accepted a wide variety of offbeat jobs to make ends meet.

:lmao: Seriously Canseco is going to fight a 7'2" 330 lbs giant of a Korean? Freaking amazing. I want to watch this just to see how bad of an ass kicking this is going to be. So let me get this straight, Canseco, who has never had any MMA training in his life, who got knocked around by Bonaduce, who couldn't even beat a 5'9" 200 lbs or so former wide receiver in boxing, is going up against a freaking giant who's had far more training in the sport. Yeah I think it's pretty obvious. Canseco needs to find better ways to make money then getting his ass kicked and making a general mockery of himself.

I know this is more of a comical MMA post, but god damn it was so funny I felt I had to share it on here. So what do you think? Does Canseco even stand a puncher's chance at winning this thing? Highly highly doubtful, this will end about as badly as his stint on VH1 reality shows.

Edit: Just to give you an example, here's a pic of Hong Man Choi while he was a kickboxer:

20070929119105788338124400.jpg

Tihs could be great. Seriously, the guy can't go get a job doing ANYTHING else? He's only good to be a human punching bag now? Canseco may have uncovered a big underbelly of the game, but he's disgraced himself doing it. Maybe someone will beat some sense into him this time, but really, a giant? Canseco is a big man but this is like fighting Kane. I get that he's broke, but this is just a bad idea. I'd love to see it though.

Just your typical Japanese MMA freak show. Its a whole tournament based off of little guys taking on big guys. This is just DREAM's attempt to pull in good ratings. Freak Shows draw. I honestly think Canseco has a chance. Sure HMC is a trained K-1 fighter, but he ain't a good one. Nor is his MMA any better. If Canseco has any leg strength, he can easily chop down HMC via leg kicks, but this one will probably end in Canseco getting Ko'ed. Gotta love Japan.

Just your typical Japanese MMA freak show. Its a whole tournament based off of little guys taking on big guys. This is just DREAM's attempt to pull in good ratings. Freak Shows draw. I honestly think Canseco has a chance. Sure HMC is a trained K-1 fighter, but he ain't a good one. Nor is his MMA any better. If Canseco has any leg strength, he can easily chop down HMC via leg kicks, but this one will probably end in Canseco getting Ko'ed. Gotta love Japan.

The great thing about Japanese MMA is that yes... you get a 'freakshow', but you also get a very solid card to go with it. I mean, Mayhem Miller vs. Jacare is going to be fucking EPIC and I for one cannot wait to see it. Also, JZ Calvan vs. Kawajiri should be really good, too, and it's ALWAYS a pleasure to see KID Yamamoto fight. It's a great, great card overall.

Anyway, Canseco has some serious balls to take this fight. Hong Man Choi is one scary looking motherfucker and for Canseco to take a fight against him of all people... you have to give him some props. But it's suicide and he will end up getting his ass beatdown horribly. I would feel bad for him, but he's a bit of a douche and is dumb enough to do this, so he has it coming to him.

Lastly, everybody check out the greatest picture ever. It's from DREAM's press conference:

hulk-dream9.jpg

Just look at that. It's a legit press conference, and 90% comprised of cardboard cut-outs.

I <3 Japan.

I smell Canseco's funeral coming up real real soon. Seriously this is not good for him as he has no trained experience in MMA & to make matters worse he is facing Hong Man Choi who is 7'2 & 330 pounds. That's like a fucking moron deciding to wanting to get into a real life fight with The Big Show. The best choice would be to chop HMC's legs down, but I don't think that will help him. Canseco will get killed in this one.

Meh, Marquis said it best, after reading up on it, it really seems this is just for the lawls, and disgraceful in a way. I think most people think Canseco is going to get his ass handed to him, and now that he is packing some extra weight on him, it seems that he probably will. But to say this wont have some parity is a little ridiculous. Canseco c an probably give it a go, and he might not be a good MMA fighter once he gives it a twirl. I wouldn't expect him to go very far, especially in his current shape and age, but he might get lucky.

I think this time around, Canseco has bitten off way more than he could chew. What would possibly compel a man to fight someone who is literally a modern day giant? Money? Yeah that would be a valid argument, but would you be willing to go through all of that at the sake of your tarnished reputation? In Canseco's case it is worth it. This is a man who does not care about his reputation anymore in any way, shape and form. He has lost favor with many in the baseball community, and embarassed himself when he fought that former football player guy. Canseco will do anything for a quick buck, it's a shame that this man used to be one of my favorite players.

This is a dumb move for him. Fedor had some trouble with him, and he is one of the best MMA fighters. Anything can happen in MMA, but most likely, Choi is gonna tear him up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back