Jones vs. Shogun Press Staredown? Not Quite

Jon Jones ended up looking like a dick there.

Shogun has never been big on the staredown deal, so it's no surprise he was caught off by Jones' usual **look away** thing. I thought it was funny how Shogun looked to see what the fuck Jones was staring at, lol.

I completely expect the same thing to happen at the weigh-ins. Shogun saves all his adrenaline and emotions for the fight itself; he doesn't waste energy on pointless shit like staredowns days before the fight.

War Shogun.

I don't understand how he looked like a "dick," that's just Jones' thing during staredowns. I'd understand if this were something new, but he's always done it. It's not like he unveiled this for Shogun.

I don't understand how he looked like a "dick," that's just Jones' thing during staredowns. I'd understand if this were something new, but he's always done it. It's not like he unveiled this for Shogun.

Yeah, but usually someone gets in Jones' face with a vicious look... whereas Shogun offered him a simple handshake, and Jones rejected him.

Just saying, this fight has a lot of hype around it, and there will be quite a few people seeing that exchange (and the one that's going to happen at the weigh-in) who've never seen Jones' staredown before and will then look at Jones as a dick, even though as we all know the dude is actually a class act and far from a dick.

I'm not saying Jones should have changed it up or anything; just stating that he came off looking bad there, IMO.

I dunno, if some guy who was in my shoes was saying the stuff that Shogun was saying, I wouldn't want to shake his hand, either.

I'd be like, bro, you were here, you know exactly how I felt and exactly what I need to do. I don't exactly think Shogun was shaking hands at 23, either. He was soccer kicking people and stomping on their faces.

Jones can't afford pleasantries right now. He needs to have every ounce of adrenaline and concentration possible headed in to this fight. I wouldn't have shaken his hand either. Not to be a dick, but to remain in the zone that I put myself in from now until after the fight is over. I wouldn't want to remove myself from that zone for one second.

As a competitor and a former athlete, I completely understand. I wouldn't shake hands before games either. Once I hit that zone, I was there. My eyes remained focused on the prize. Not shaking some dudes hand to look sportsmanlike.

I see what you're saying, though, JMT. That post was really just a way to explain what was probably going through Jones' head. Not me picking apart your reasoning or that, to some, Jones looked like a dick.

You know there a few things that pissed me off about jones during the press conference

1st being he was on his phone 90% of the time and you could see him laugh a couple of times and to me thats pretty disrespectful that he couldnt go 30 mins with out playing on his phone

2nd instead of starring into the audience he could of been starring at the belt cause that would make since cause you can tell shogun was confused

3rd is i think jones is pretty immature cause he brought up the whole poop thing that he talked about in a pod cast or something.

I personally dont think he is serious enough to beat shogun ya hes excited but that doesnt make him a serious competitor
So IMO jones looked like a dick who didnt care about the whole press conference. i know if i was in his shoes i wouldnt even touch my phone. idk if anyone else was pissed about this but i was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back