• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jones vs. Machida set for UFC 140 main event

CapnKabuki

Are you cool with the staples?
From Dana White's twitter:
@danawhite - "Alright Toronto!!! Dec 10th UFC 140 tix go on sale next weekend and ur main event is Bones Jones vs Machida!!!"

WOW. I honestly thought that Rashad was gonna get the next shot at the belt, so when I saw this, I was dumbfounded and assumed that Rashad had just pissed somebody off or something. Looking into it, I found out that he's actually still hurt, so it makes sense. I really don't know how this fight is gonna go, because while Machida's style seems like the kind that would give Jones fits, Jones just evolves and formulates around these type of things with each fight. Should still be a good fight though, and should Machida win and Rashad gets the next shot, we know he is definitely NOT gonna win it again.

Thoughts?

Great fight. Rashad is hurt and out until next year and they don't want to wait for him. I don't blame them at all. It's nice to see a champion fighting four times a year like Jones, and all against top 10 fighters. With a win here, Jones will have put together quite possibly the greatest year of all time. Jones seems to be a fighting champion and I refuse to complain that he wants to fight as much as possible.

That said, this fight is much more intriguing than Rashad/Jones. Machida has one of the oddest styles in the history of the sport and it'll be interesting to see how Jones deals with the sumo and striking of Machida. I love this fight, and will not complain about a champion fighting as much as possible.

Machida is Jon Jones' worst match-up, in my opinion, and he is the one man in the 205 pound division right now that I would pick to beat Jon Jones. As good as Jones is, he's not very aggressive. He smartly picks and chooses his shots, and it's worked for him up to this point and will continue to work for him, but Machida is the absolute master at coming in and out and landing precise, accurate attacks. He will counter everything Jones throws at him and Jones won't know what to do from that point on.

That said, I could be completely wrong and Jones could very well dominate Machida like he's done all his other opponents. And I must say, if that is the case, then Jones will be THE champion of the UFC and the undisputed #1 pound for pound fighter in the World. It's not that beating Machida makes you the best; it's that Machida is the last style Jones has yet to face, and if he's able to dominate him like all the others, then who the fuck is left at 205 that could potentially give Jon Jones any trouble whatsoever?

It'll be an interesting fight and an interesting test for Jones. Machida has such an unorthodox style of fighting, it'll be curious to see how Jones handles it. Jones has such an odd way of striking as well, but the way he comes in will play right into how Machida counter fights. I do think Jones is the better fighter but he will have to be careful how he comes at Lyoto, because Machida's counter striking is superb and it will only take one clean shot to put Jones out.

I want to give the nod to Lyoto and when I first heard about this match up I thought that Machida could take out Jon but after thinking about it some more I'm not so sure he'll be able to use his regular technique against Jones's crazy reach. INDY is right in that Jones does play into how Lyoto fights but his athleticism and reach make it a whole new ball game, I feel like Jones's best bet is to try and take Lyoto to the ground and attempt to TKO him and Lyoto will need to feel Jones out on the feet and try to catch him. In the end I'm split, it's a very difficult fight to call but I just think after Rampage was taken out by the champ and considering Lyoto lost to Rampage I'm gonna say Jones defends the belt with a TKO win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back