• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

John Cena's 2007 injury and it's aftermath

punk is gold

Occasional Pre-Show
Now let me take you back to the year 2007 right before the No Mercy pay per view ,John Cena and Rany Orton were supposed to have a last man standing match for the Wwe championship but due to John tearing his pectoral muscle on Raw prior to the match it never took place and abruptly ended this red hot feud.You'll probably remember this lead to the title being vacated and eventually was awarded to Randy Orton and at the next year's Royal Rumble John Cena made a suprise return in the #30 spot and ended up winning it,and going on to face Oton and HHH at that years Wrestlemania for the Wwe title.Let's say John never got hurt I wanna know your guy's opinion on three things #1 Who you guys think would have won their last man standing match, #2 Who do you think would have won the Rumble if John wouldn't have been hurt in the first place ,and #3 If John didn't get hurt how do you think that would have altered Wrestlemania 24's main event?

IMO I personally feel Cena would have won the last man standing match. Followed that up by Randy Orton winning the Royal Rumble. I also do believe the WM main event would have been the same. I think the writing staff would have booked a triple threat regardless. I do believe I would have had Orton walk out of WM as the victor because then that would have allowed for both Cena & HHH to vie for a chance to challenge for Orton's title. This would have also allowed HHH to effectively turn a SOLID heel and push Cena even harder into the face spot.

I believe Cena was going to lose the championship to Orton in that last man standing match anyway. HHH would have won the Royal Rumble and it would have been HHH vs. Orton in the main event. You would have still had Undertaker vs. Edge in the other main event. I believe John Cena instead of Umaga would have faced Batista in the brand supremacy match. That would have been a great match and could have helped make WM 24 one of the top three WM of all time.

I think Cena would have lost the last man standing match and then go on to win the Royal Rumble and on No Way Out Cena would win the title, then a beat down from Bastisat. Thsi would lead to a Cena vs Batista main even t at WM24 for the championship becuase both men were supposed to main event against each other fro a long time at WM but did not happen because of injuries

Cena WAS gonna lose the Last Man Standing Match. Before his injury I remember DirecTV airing a commercial for that years Cyber Sunday. It advertised the main event being John Cena VS WWE Champion Randy Orton. The choices were a Submission Match, Hardcore and the last one Hell In A Cell. When No Mercy aired the commercial was removed and instead promoted the Batista/Undertaker match instead. My guess is that maybe Undertaker would win back to back Royal Rumbles. The story seemed to suggest it because of how Edge kept ducking him. To be honest that one just seemed like anybody's ball game. I doubt they would actually allow Triple H to win. He doesn't need it. If anything I do agree with the Batista/Cena brand supremacy match. It seemed like the match should've been bigger.

I think Cena would have lost the title to Orton, then Orton would have dropped it to HHH at the Rumble. Cena would have won the Rumble and faced HHH for the title in the main event, leaving Batista v Orton for Mania too. I think he had the title for so long that he would have lost and then been title free until Mania, when he faced HHH.

I think Cena would have won the title at No Mercy because of the fact that he was probably hotter than Randy Orton at the time, and for him to lose it would completely stop his momentum. What good would it do for Orton? Probably none at all, he wouldnt have gotten any hotter because I think he would lose a rematch to Cena at the next PPV.

As for the Royal Rumble, it would be Orton winning as opposed to the year after. The reason for that would be so that he could get some momentum heading into Wrestlemania 24. If he didnt win it, I could see it being The Undertaker for the second year in a row to face Edge and another superstar at Wrestlemania 24.

Since Orton would win that Royal Rumble, I dont think the Wrestlemania 24 main event would change other than the fact that John Cena would go in as WWE Champion. However, Cena would not walk out as WWE Champion, Orton would. Thus creating the same storylines, and eventually leading us exactly to where we are today.

Orton would have one the Last Man Standing match. Everything was pointing towards it and he walked out with the belt that night anyway. He had lost to Cena at SummerSlam and won via DQ at Unforgiven so the stage was set for Orton to prevail and walk out as champion. You have to remember that Orton hadn't been champion ever since his original run in 2004 so this was going to be his big win.

Cena wouldn't have won the Rumble if he wasn't injured. There are only really two likely candidates: The Undertaker & Triple H. Taker was heading towards a Mania match with Edge ever since Edge cashed in his Money in the Bank. Taker could well have gone into The Rumble and won it for the second year running or (the more likely scenario) Triple H would have won it. Triple H & Orton had/have history and a title match between the two would have made sense even a year before WM 25. Triple H would have won and gone onto take on Orton.

Like I said above, Orton would defend against Triple H while Undertaker vs. Edge would have taken place exactly as it did. That would have left Cena with nothing to do. He would probably have been flung into the big money match Cena vs. Batista. It would have been another huge match on top of the two world title matches, Big Show vs. Mayweather and Ric Flair's 'last match' against Shawn Michaels.

If Cena didn't get hurt back in 07 then Orton would still have won the title at No Mercy because they needed someone to get the title off Cena eventually and Orton was the best candidate to do it. They might have done a kayfabe'd injury following the match, then Orton's reign would have still happened as well as Cena's surpise return at the rumble. This means Cena would have still won and gone on to the triple threat match against Orton and Trips. The only thing that would have changed would be that Cena and Orton would have main evented No Mercy in the only WWE Championship match of the night, unlike the disaster we got stuck with of having 3 WWE Championship matches. To this day that is still one of my least favorite PPV's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back