• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

John Cena Skill Ratings

ASKane

Championship Contender
I did this with Reigns yesterday and it got a great response from the people who participated, I would like to see what people think with yet another controversial figure, John Cena. As with Reigns I will list 12 categories and then you copy and paste them and rate his abilities between 1-10 and add a comment. The categories are

Ring Gear -
Entrance -
Entrance Music -
Physical Appearance -
Character/Gimmick -
Mic Skills -
Finisher -
Signature Moves -
Move Set -
Move Set Depth -
Selling/Bumping Ability -
Whole Package -

RING GEAR - 5
If you ask me which I hate the most about Cena it's his ring gear! Alright he's doing it for the merchandise but from the Wrestling perspective it looks pathetic with goofy colours.

ENTRANCE - 8.5
One can't simply complain about the entrance of Cena. Either it's passionate or a hostile crowd he connect well with them but he shouldn't sell that "Never Give Up" napkin merchandise while giving entrance!

ENTRANCE MUSIC - 7.5
It has became a trademark for him so it's okay. Its much better than many Shitty entrance music some top stars have and had. The crowd knows its Cena when the music hits and they know they're gonna see him clear the ring so they love it, no problems!

PHYSICAL APPEARANCE - 9
He got a great physical look. Why won't he? He was a professional bodybuilder before entering the Wrestling Industry. Lately he's getting bald I guess. I'm not pretty sure about it but it seems like..

CHARACTER/GIMMICK - 7.5
Many people would complain about his gimmick and being too face for too long. I was one among them. But in the latest interview he said that if there's someone ready and good enough to take his spot he'll turn heel. Mate, he got a point in there!

MIC SKILLS - 9
One can't beat Cena in the mic when he's in the top notch and to sell a feud! I would've given 10 for this but unfortunately I don't like the way he always sells WWE network for $9.99 and making goofy faces while trying to talk about the city..

FINISHER - 5
Lame. Just one word! I'll repeat it again Lame! Not anyone over 10 years of age would accept that a Fireman Carry takeover can finish off an opponent nevertheless how tough he can be..

SIGNATURE MOVES - 8
When it comes to long matches or PPV or against some competitive opponent you can't deem Cena's signature moves as a lame one even though he got those 5 moves on doom along with them.

MOVE SET - 9
He really got a lot in his arsenal. I love his Pop up Powerbomb, Sitout Bodyslam, Hurricrana, and his recently added Second row Stunner. He can be either impressive or lame but I would give 9 to this nonetheless.

MOVE SET DEPTH - 9
Just same as explained before. No need to repeat it I'm afraid.

SELLING/BUMPING ABILITY - 10
One can't simply beat John Cena in this one. Maybe he'll tie up with the likes of The Rock, Shawn Michaels, Dolph Ziggler and Daniel Bryan!

WHOLE PACKAGE - 8
Just like I said the last time I'm an Engineering Student so I'll just take the average of all the individual ratings. Its pretty much from a guy who doesn't like John Cena a lot. I don't like him that doesn't mean I don't respect him.

Cheers!!

SELLING/BUMPING ABILITY - 10
One can't simply beat John Cena in this one. Maybe he'll tie up with the likes of The Rock, Shawn Michaels, Dolph Ziggler and Daniel Bryan!

Cheers!!

I think these two things should be separated, because they're different things. Normally they go hand in hand, but Cena is a unique wrestler. He can bump great but he doesn't usually sell that well unless it's a big match.

10 for everything that's why he's been the face of the company and is one of the greatest of all time. I just can't say enough great things about John Cena. Even as early as 2000 in the UPW training video he just oozed face of wwe. He actually said "The main goal is to main event, Madison Square Garden, with the whole packed house either cheering you on or booing you" John Cena has achieved this and then some. John Cena is an inspiration to us all. He stated his dream and exceeded it and then he worked extremely hard to maintain his position. We should strive to hustle hard, be loyal to those who are loyal to us, and be respectful of everyone. Most importantly to try to exceed our dreams and Never Give Up.

I did this with Reigns yesterday and it got a great response from the people who participated, I would like to see what people think with yet another controversial figure, John Cena. As with Reigns I will list 12 categories and then you copy and paste them and rate his abilities between 1-10 and add a comment. The categories are

Ring Gear - 8/10
It's what it is and it wont change. Its iconic for being different to generic trunks and it shifts merchandise like the clappers. It's a little dated now, but constantly updatable. Cena's merchandise and ring gear is something WWE have definitely got right.

Entrance - 7/10
Again, what it is. It's simple, he mouths off to the camera then runs to the ring. It's simple and it does the job but it's nothing special.

Entrance Music - 9/10
I personally detest most hip-hop/rap tracks as a natural and Cena's is no different. It scores SO high because it's iconic. In a company now where it's so easy to slap a generic song on something, Cena's music still stands fresh despite 10 years of use. It's solid, does the job and you know it IMMEDIATELY. There is no-one that doesnt know Cena's music, as you would expect with him being the face of the company.

Physical Appearance - 10/10
He's built and he works at it, you can tell. He looks like the face of the company.

Character/Gimmick - 7/10
I can understand the critique here of him having the same gimmick for so long, but if he kept changing who he is, would we not struggle to see him for what he is? He's a company man. He's a man who will do anything for the WWE and his career and it shows. He loves what he does, and it shows. That for me is a high scoring character. Would I like to see him with a fresher gimmick? Show some more aggression maybe? Sure. But Cena is pretty well established as he is.

Mic Skills - 8/10
He's cheesy at times, and listening sometimes makes me cringe, but he is undeniably brilliant on the mic.

Finisher - 9/10
You know what it is, it's a solid move. I've defended the AA for many years, making this point; if YOU got dropped from 6 and a half feet (remembering a firemans carry is knelt down, his is standing), straight onto your back, you would feel it. It would easily wind you. It's an easy move for people to pull off, it has a slight risk to it (the twist of the neck as he slams them) and it's got a heavy impact; best of all...it's well known. The peoples elbow, one of the Rocks most known moves, is NOT enough to KO someone, yet it always did. Why are we so heavily against the AA?

Signature Moves - 10/10
This gets scored SO highly because of how many moves Cena seems to add to this depending on the month. He varies his moveset and signatures to vary up the "five moves of doom", yet you ALWAYS know what he's going to hit unless he does something out of the blue. Five knuckle shuffle is alright as a move. Blockbuster, I think is a great signature. Spin out powerbomb, I'll take it. Springboard stunner, great move. The guy adds to these as and when he needs. I like that a lot.

Move Set -9/10
"You cant wrestle" chants really got under his skin coming around the money in the bank match with Punk, didn't they? He added everything going and the kitchen sink besides. Cena no longer wrestles with just punches, an occasional fishermans suplex, the five moves of doom and the AA. 3 years ago though, this would be rated very differently. Cena is highly diverse and can do a lot of things no-one would expect from him, and so, he gets a very high score.

Move Set Depth -9/10
I don't really see how this is separate from move set, especially when it comes to John Cena. He's built depth of his movesets right the way up, and shown us things that shouldnt be possible for a guy his size.

Selling/Bumping Ability -4/10
Cena has the ABILITY to sell, I'm sure. But he's Hogan/The Rock/Stone Cold/Michaels. The FACE of the company and that, in its own right sees that Cena doesnt NEED to sell. He bumps like a bitch, but does not sell. He gets right back up and supercena does what supercena does best. That's my one issue with Cena in all truth.

Whole Package -8/10
Cena rates VERY highly for me because Cena is the face of WWE and for a reason. He didn't get there by accident, it's because of his passion and his desire. It's because of his look and what hes done to keep himself relevant. If he sold more, instead of always getting back up and "never giving up", I'd be happier. 9/10 times though, Cena is billed on a card and you know he will win. Im not the biggest Cena fan in the world but I can see that what he does, he does very very well and is probably the top talent in WWE right now.

Move Set -9/10
"You cant wrestle" chants really got under his skin coming around the money in the bank match with Punk, didn't they? He added everything going and the kitchen sink besides. Cena no longer wrestles with just punches, an occasional fishermans suplex, the five moves of doom and the AA. 3 years ago though, this would be rated very differently. Cena is highly diverse and can do a lot of things no-one would expect from him, and so, he gets a very high score.

Move Set Depth -9/10
I don't really see how this is separate from move set, especially when it comes to John Cena. He's built depth of his movesets right the way up, and shown us things that shouldnt be possible for a guy his size.

The Move set category is intended to be a rating on the moves he does while the depth category is more to do with how many he uses and your thoughts on whether it enough or more should be added so someone who has 5 moves could get a 10 for move set as the moves and his execution is excellent but a low score for depth as he doesn't use enough moves

The Move set category is intended to be a rating on the moves he does while the depth category is more to do with how many he uses and your thoughts on whether it enough or more should be added so someone who has 5 moves could get a 10 for move set as the moves and his execution is excellent but a low score for depth as he doesn't use enough moves

The run on sentence of doom. Almost as lethal as the 5 knuckle shuffle.

Here my view for what it's worth.

Ring Gear - 9

I love the shorts. Personally don't like those tight trunks others wear, but sometimes his shirts leave a lot to be desired. Clearly they are marketed for the kiddies and they buy them in droves. What I do like is the fact that he throws his hat and shirt into the audience. Not many do that if anyone else does in fact.

Entrance - 8

Very simple and basic. Come out holds up his towel and runs to the ring. Not much more can be said about that.

Entrance Music - 9

You know right away it's Cena. Even if you couldn't hear the music the crowd reaction lets you know. Been the same forever, but it works for him.

Physical Appearance - 9

He looks like the All American guy, mom and apple pie. Very well built and stays in shape for a guy who's 38. I'm sure he hurts, but doesn't look like a lot of wear and tear on his body.

Character/Gimmick - 7

The only reason this isn't higher is because his gimmick to me anyway is stale. Like his music it hasn't changed in years, but it works for what the WWE wants and the fans eat it up. Don't see it changing anytime soon and why should it.

Mic Skills - 10

He can get a dead crowd going and not many of the wrestlers can. He's one of the best on the mic, very comfortable, and able to hold his own against anyone.

Finisher - 8

The AA is a little lame now, but again it works for him. Don't like the STFU but that's just me.

Signature Moves - 8

Again don't like his submission move, but the AA puts the bad guys down and that's what counts.

Move Set - 8

Thank God he added the springboard stunner to the repertoire it works for him. He has a pretty good move set for a guy his size. Whether it's the 5 moves of doom or what, he makes it work.

Selling/Bumping Ability - 7

He can bump well, spends a lot of time moaning and groaning on the canvas, and you'd think he was half dead, but selling the moves, he doesn't manage to bring that off. He jumps right back up and it's like the last 5 minutes never happened.

Whole Package - 9

Cena is the face of the WWE and no one on the roster will take his spot for a long time to come. He's one of the most polarizing figures, either you love or hate him, there is no inbetween. Even those that don't like him, respect the hell out of what he does for not only wrestling but for the fans. Not many give back the way he does with Make a Wish and other organizations. Now I'm not saying no one else does, but Cena works tirelessly at it. He'll be around for a long time to come, and I don't ever see him not working for the WWE in some capacity.

Oh boy, a Cena thread!

Gear - 6.5/10

I gave it 9 in 2003 when his white rapper gimmick was at its white rapperiest. As he slowly transformed into a pro-military superman, it always baffled me that he kept the jorts. By this point, it's one of those elements that are too iconic to change. I prefer the black shorts to anything else, they make him look a little more bad ass, others make him dorky.

Entrance - 7/10

Arrive, gaze at thunderous boos/cheers, display shirt with slogan, book it to the ring. It is what it is, it's not special or extraordinary, but it's iconic.

Music - 8/10

When he debuted this music along with his album at WrestleMania 21, I expected him to keep releasing albums and changing his theme music to his latest single. That never happened. Word life was my favourite Cena theme, but my time is now is his iconic theme.

Physical Appearance - 9/10

Cena is absolutely jacked. I'm not one of the steroid conspiracy theorists. I believe Cena is what he says he is. He's a bodybuilder who had maintained his strict regime throughout his career. He should try a shaved head sometime, the jar head look is stale.

Character/gimmick - 7/10

This would be a lot higher if WWE had ever allowed it to be developed or explored further. Cena does his best to make his character enjoyable for all levels of fans, but his duty is to the kids.

Mic skills - 8/10

Cena is gifted on the mic, his characer is limited and he works within that. The yelling and the corniness aside, he strings together words like a pro and conveys emotions fluently.

Finisher - 9/10

The former FU would be destructive to any normal man. It's a high impact move, he can hit it out of no where and perform feats of strength, such as AA'ing Big Show.

Move set - 8/10

Running shoulder tackles ftw, time and time again. WWE prefers its marquee stars perform only a few recognizable moves. I'd give Cena's actual capable set a 9. The schoolboy stunner has been fresh, he can perform a hurricanrana, Cena is a great wrestler, limited by the company he works for.

Selling/bumping - 9/10

Cena can sell like a champ, he's instructed not to. In character I'd rate him 4 or less most of the time, John Cena the wrestler is capable of selling like the best of them, it's just not his character (for what that's worth).

Whole package - 8/10

Cena's character has long needed developements. Kane trying to embrace that hate sucked, not turning heel vs Rock is part of a long list. Cena has put on some excellent matches with the right opponents: Angle, Punk, Edge, Michaels, and others have all had 4 to 5 star matches with Cena. John isn't going anywhere, he'll likely follow Triple H into the office, but that could be another 5 years + at least. He may even be an Undertaker, wrestling into his late 40s to 50s. He might turn heel some day and spark a new renaissance of pro-wrestling making the Attitude Era look like Sunday Night Heat, but we may never know.

Cena is Cena, he's iconic, he's talented, he's staler than bread from grandma's house at the duck pond. You don't have to like it, he should lose clean way more, but he's he biggest wrestler of the post-Attitude Era.

Ring Gear - 8/10 - It is different than traditional wrestling tights which has set him apart from so many for so long.

Entrance - 8/10 - Nothing wrong with inspiring others with a Never Give Up banner and then energetically dashing to the ring while tossing some lucky fan some free merch.

Entrance Music - 8/10 - What can I say? It's a catchy tune. I don't mind his rap.

Physical Appearance - 10/10 - He's not the youngest buck in the locker room anymore but yet is in tip top physical shape.

Character/Gimmick - 8/10 - He is an easy character to identify and relate with. There is nothing over the top here and even though some will say it is stale, I feel as if he has evolved over the years.

Mic Skills - 10/10 - Just a pure natural on the mic. Full of charisma and makes it look easy.

Finisher - 6/10 - Nothing fancy here. Don't look to be very devastating but can be pulled of on nearly anybody.

Signature Moves - 5/10 - Would have been lower rating had he not worked that spring board stunner in there. Two shoulder tackles in the signature set is what gives it a low rating for me.

Move Set - 7/10 - I have to give a guy his size credit when he does things like a hurricanrana. Some thime he goes outside the box to show us a different move that isn't typical Cena.

Move Set Depth - 6/10 - It is certainly more than other "power" wrestlers and as I said above he does pull off some different moves here and there.

Selling/Bumping Ability - 7/10 - I think he sells pretty well and gives others the chance to look strong. However, I have seen some over or under selling at points.

Whole Package - 8/10 - Love him or hate him he is/was a blessing to the professional wrestling or rather "sports entertainment" industry.

Ring Gear - 5
Unique but not for good reasons, I wouldn't like to see anyone else do it and don't like it on Cena. The ever changing neon shirts to ensure he is #1 merch seller also annoys me especially as none of them look like shirts an adult should be proud to wear in public

Entrance - 6
I like the run to ring as it is somewhat different but advertising and throwing about 10 pieces of merch takes the score down

Entrance Music - 4
Iconic, Unique and stale. Didn't like it when it first came out and 10 years later it still hasn't grown on me

Physical Appearance - 8
Very well built and exactly what WWE look for

Character/Gimmick - 3
I just don't like it, its stale and barely interesting to me at the start, I may not be the target audience but I don't like. Also I am not one of the people saying he should turn heel I just want something different, a change in attitude, an increase intensity or adding an edge that makes him more appealing to the audience members who are older than 6. Also constantly portraying him as the underdog in matches while calling him one of the greatest of all time is a stupid booking decision.

Mic Skills - 7
He has very high skills on the mic but also has some terrible material, hes often too corny, his serious promos often come across as corny and he constantly panders to the crowd to get them to cheer for him (eg saying England should have Mania to stop the UK crowd booing him)

Finisher - 1
The fact that the AA is a finisher is ridiculous, his spin out powerbomb looks more better, its the weakest looking finisher in the WWE even when its hit perfectly

Signature Moves - 1
Shoulder block, Shoulder block, spin out powerbomb, 5 knuckle shuffle, AA and then STF, not a single devastating looking move among them and they have been used to death. Poor looking moves in the first place plus weak looking execution and I just cant give this set of moves any form of generous points

Move Set - 6
The new moves are a good edition but for me his biggest weak comes in execution, I think every move he picks and his execution of them is done with safety in mind and leads to his execution being weak, he needs to be stiffer and more impactful with his moves

Move Set Depth - 6
Saw the criticism and is trying to solve the problem and is doing a good job, as time goes on this score will likely get higher

Selling/Bumping Ability - 7
Takes a bump quite well and is capable of showing the damage of an attack but too many occasions of no selling for character reasons and awkward looking bumps keep this score down

Whole Package - 5
A weak move set as well as a character that is not targeted at me means I find difficult to enjoy what he does. I respect what he has done but purely from an entertainment stand point I don't enjoy him

Anyone giving Cena less than 9 on mic is out of his mind. You can count with the fingers of one hand how many people can go toe-to-toe with Cena on the mic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back