• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Joey Jordison named best drummer of past 25 years

Alex

King Of The Wasteland
Yes the Slipknot drummer was named the best drummer of the past 25 years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11123906

It's a shit article but it made me check out who else was on that list

http://www.musicradar.com/rhythm/greatest-drummer-of-the-last-25-years-the-results-are-in-270334

I also listened to what Joey Jordison could do, and while I was impressed with what he can do I didn't think he was the best.

Personally I don't know who I would put as number one but some of my top picks would be

Dave Grohl,

[YOUTUBE]-HOZq8_YXY8[/YOUTUBE]

Chad Smith,

[YOUTUBE]QDMCkwahiYw[/YOUTUBE]

Matt Sorum,

[YOUTUBE]VC9L-BZ1PI0[/YOUTUBE]

Sean Kinney,

[YOUTUBE]8yb4e4qc22k[/YOUTUBE]

Travis Barker

[YOUTUBE]Wf4Su6vjscg[/YOUTUBE]

and The Rev

[YOUTUBE]jrqF2KhZfa0[/YOUTUBE]

So who do you think should have been named the best drummer of the past 25 years???

Of the past 25 years? Im not sure about that. Best today? Once again I dont think I would say so. Theres an incredible drummer from Satyricon named Frost whom should have been in consideration for that, and I think people here whom already havent should check out as well.

Mainstream has a habit of panning amazing artists from genres they dont care for, and it is really a stupid thing to do, because if these people just expand their horizons they'll stumble upon some amazing music.

Not too upset with Joey Jordison as he is a really solid drummer, but this guy is the best drummer I've ever seen.

[youtube]_j_rf_UrsOM[/youtube]

I got to see Joey play back in 2001 and I thought he was really good. I'm not sure if I would label him the best in 25 years or whatever, but he was really good. He could keep both legs hitting the base drums, and both arms flailing away for a good five minutes or more without a break.

While Grohl may not be the best technical drummer he has so much energy and just puts it all into his drumming and on top of that you can tell he's just having a great time. I recently re-listened to Them Crooked Vultures and realized that his drumming has only gotten better in the last 20 years. It's a lot tighter and his rhythm's are a lot more complex than anything from Nirvana or even the first couple Foo disc's where he was doing everything including the drums. And for extra points he seems like a really cool and laid back dude. Anyways, he'd be my pick.

thank you Alex-A, it was about damn time someone said it! I would've done it, but I'm sure someone will be bashing me...anyway another popularity contest. Joey Jordison? who? the drummer of Slipknot....... don't get me wrong, IMO, in order to be a drummer in metal, you need to be a GREAT drummer, but c'mon!!! this guy wasn't around 25 years ago! are you fucking kidding! Slipknot is a group from the 90's:1995!
In that same list there are others that has been drummers for 20 years at least!

I think that this would be my picks:

DAVE GROHL IS MY FUCKING IDOL!!!!! however I wouldn't pick him as the best drummer of the last 25 years.. definitely in the top 5, but as # 1...not quiet sure.....

on the other hand, Mike Portnoy! this guy is THE influence for metal drummers, Neil Peart also.... The animal Taylor form Motorhead, Nicko Mcbrain who is fucking crazy!

oh and Alex-A, Matt Sorum? really? I've never took attention to the guy because , well he is far from the top 20 IMO, but hey! you opinion, my opinion

As I'm not a drummer I'm not too upset with the choice of Joey as the best drummer in the last 25 years, although I do not think that is true. He sounds good only because Slipknot has like fuckin 5000 percussionists. I'm a fan and I have seen them live, but I don't agree he was the best in the last 25 years. My top three picks would be
Mike Portnoy
The Rev (Afterlife was not the best example for his drumming at all, he has some very complex and amazing tunes.
Or my last pick would have to be... hmm.. I would choose Sean from Alice in chains.

As amazing as Joey is, i actually prefer him as a guitarist that a drummer.

I don't know a great deal about amazing drummers, but just reading the thread title immediately made my brain say 'I don't agree with that assessment.'

I mean, do the drums really stand out that much in Slipknot's music? Especially now that they're getting less and less aggressive in their musical direction?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back