JGlass (and others who care), I've been working on a system...

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Remember that lovely discussion about how much my article sucked? Well, I've been working on a system that isn't quite done yet, but I recently ran numbers using it and I wanted to get some feedback. Keep in mind, this has very little to do (but some) with my own personal opinions, and just the numbers I happened to use for the system.

Picture69.png

There's about 15 names under where the picture cuts off, but they all have about 5 points or less. The system applies a point value to pretty much everything a wrestler can do on each individual episode. Clean wins score more than a dirty win, and much more than a DQ or Countout win, etc. Points are also given for the length of matches, match placement and/or importance, and (this is where my opinion comes in) how good the match actually was. Promos are also heavily considered, as are run-ins, object shots, video packages, random appearances, and other assorted items that I'm still tweaking. Basically I wanted to make a system that heavily rested on actual data, but had a little bit of personal preference in to make it less mechanical.

So what do you think of the results so far? Better...? Worse...? OH YEAH, this starts on the post-Rumble episode of Raw and goes up to, and including tonight's episode of Smackdown.

It doesn't take a whole lot more effort outside of just watching the shows regularly. I mean, unless you count addition and entering things into a spreadsheet as real effort... The system took some thinking, but I actually borrowed a lot from the idea behind WWE's old fantasy game.

Also, this was supposed to be in the Bar Room. Whatever...

Love the dedication to leaving no stone unturned. Based on the results I would say that you probably will hit your mark with six months of data. Adding in strength of schedule would help as well. I also think you have to consider that under your system SD's best are going to have an advantage over Raw's best due to Raw being a SuperShow. Do you weight results: PPV > Raw > SD > Impact? Do match results/points ween down with time? I like that your throwing in match quality but I would compare results with and w/o match quality as you go forward to get a good feel for it's importance.

Anyway, sorry if I'm being a drag, this is awesome keep up the good work.

Good stuff. Yeah, I realized that guys like Orton and Barrett are going to dominate simply because they're showing up twice a week, three with a PPV. My next goal is to add a weight system to everything, so it will end up like PPV > Raw = TNA > Smackdown.

I know it might be popular to say that Raw and TNA are equal, but when you consider that TNA only has ONE shot to impress every week, it's not fair to further handicap them because of a fan bias against the company. It's not their "b show" because they only HAVE one show: Impact. I'm going to keep running the numbers though and see what I come up with.

Also, I need help deciding on something. Should I include WWE Superstars in the mix to give the under-card talents a chance. Because some of those guys are putting on 15-20 minute matches every week, and nobody is watching them! I don't think I'm going to, and I definitely won't be using NXT, but I thought I would throw that out there...

Eh... this is okay. Wade Barrett shouldn't be ranking above CM Punk, at all. I think you should be able to award points based on what you think too. Statistics mean jack in the wrestling world.

I'm gonna disagree with that bloke with the Kurt Angle avatar. I think the bit you need to do away with is this:

[Heel] Green Ranger;3709686 said:
There's about 15 names under where the picture cuts off, but they all have about 5 points or less. The system applies a point value to pretty much everything a wrestler can do on each individual episode. Clean wins score more than a dirty win, and much more than a DQ or Countout win, etc. Points are also given for the length of matches, match placement and/or importance, and (this is where my opinion comes in) how good the match actually was.

That way you've got some raw data on how hard wrestlers are getting pushed, and you can add your own comment in afterward - i.e. "I don't know why they're pushing Kofi so hard, he's mega gash."

Call it 'The Killam System for the Analysis of Push Velocity'.

[QUOTE='[Heel]There's about 15 names under where the picture cuts off, but they all have about 5 points or less. The system applies a point value to pretty much everything a wrestler can do on each individual episode. Clean wins score more than a dirty win, and much more than a DQ or Countout win, etc. Points are also given for the length of matches, match placement and/or importance, and (this is where my opinion comes in) how good the match actually was. Promos are also heavily considered, as are run-ins, object shots, video packages, random appearances, and other assorted items that I'm still tweaking. Basically I wanted to make a system that heavily rested on actual data, but had a little bit of personal preference in to make it less mechanical.

So what do you think of the results so far? Better...? Worse...? OH YEAH, this starts on the post-Rumble episode of Raw and goes up to, and including tonight's episode of Smackdown.[/QUOTE]

Argh, damn you to hell man, this is way too tempting to me (my education and career is heavily focused round maths and statistics).

Devil's advocate on a couple issues. Clean wins over dirty wins is very face orientated, Bryan Daniel and Bobby Roode are getting over as 'retain at all costs' champions. Both provide a quality match before getting or drawing (D Bryan's made an art of this recently) a DQ/ countout or pin. In the same way, guys like James Storm, Jeff Hardy, Big Show and (most recently, on last nights SD) Randy Orton are getting the reward from the fans wanting to see these 'cheap' tactics punished. From what you've listed, DB came out with more points from last nights match than Randy did. Likewise, when R-Truth first became a heel he garnered a couple 'wins' over John Cena but ultimately lost when it mattered - however, he (Truth) would have come out with more points during the feud.

I actually like the personal stuff better, as you can make a judgement call on these sort of issues.

The best way to be completely transparent would be to keep the info in NFL Stats type format (Appearances, Wins, Losses, Draws, Performance, Position On Card, Total, Move up/ down the table), then this can provoke discussion and things like DB or the Viper appearing twice or three times in a given week can be seen by the Appearance column because weighting or averaging them would be unfair as they will not have as prominent a position on RAW as they have on SD.

On RAW, SD, IW and PPVs - my opinion is that PPVs should garner higher scores but the weekly programs should be treated equally as it removes a large amount of bias claims.

Again man, great concept and I look forward to see how you progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back