• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

JBL IS a good wrestler

ad21k

Pre-Show Stalwart
I'm not sure why the majority of the IWC is under the illussion JBL is a poor wrestler. It strikes me as quite likely as being the same people who were saying John Cena couldn't wrestle a couple of years back, before they were forced to change their opinions.

JBL has already proven himself to be a great champion. He did what a heel champion is SUPPOSED to do, that is when JBL has the title, you want somebody to beat him for it. He has actualy very good mic skills and he can consistantly get heat and people into the seats to see him get beaten.

It doesnt matter that he doesnt put on 5 star matches, he isn't even meant too his role is to make people hate him, and the proof of this is that JBL always generates heat from fans, in fact excluding Edge is there anyone that can gather the kind of heat in the WWE?!

I don't think he's a poor wrestler. We've established wrestlers aren't determined by how many movies they know and can execute anyway so anyone who thinks JBL is a "poor wrestler" yet thinks Jericho or Orton are good is a hypocrite. Though clearly past his pride, JBL can still go out there, cut a decent promo and get people riled up. He garners a lot of heat. Sure, he lacks the charisma Jericho and Orton have but he is still the third biggest heel of his show which, ain't too shabby.

To answer your question, the biggest heel in the entire WWE right now, based on heat however, is not even Edge. It's Vickie Guerrero. Two words will make an entire arena boo her out of the building. That's like having people in droves wrapped around your finger. Vickie may not be a Guerrero by blood but considering she had no prior acting experience and learned as she went along, she has a knack for it. Sorry for going off track but Vickie does get more heat than Edge at the moment. In fact, I think she's the reason Edge gets heat at the moment. After Lita left, he sort of fell into a slump until Mr. Kennedy went down with injury and it made sense to make Edge champion on SmackDown. From there, they got the idea to partner him with Vickie and the story took off. If not, who knows? Edge might have ended up more of a tweener champion. Part of his character (Edge) is about stealing somebody's woman and rubbing it in people's faces. It's what ultimately got him over and kept him over. Edge without his squeeze is sort of just like, old Edge.

He's not a poor wrestler, he's just past his prime wrestling wise. He's not bad, and even he's said that he's critical of himself because he can't train as hard as he used to and can't work as solid as he used to because of his injuries and age. With that being said, the man KNOWS how to draw heat during his mic time. You have to admit, he does have outstanding facial expression ability. The way he smiled last night after Michaels slapped him and he realized he won the match was priceless.

JBL is fantastic at what he does, what bugs me is that the people that say that JBL suck are the same people that say "Roddy Piper sucked in the ring but he made up for that in mic skills". Piper was more than solid in the ring and could keep a crowd interested in a match, JBL is solid in the ring, can keep a crowd interested and has fantastic mic skills. What more do you want from a heel?

I have said it before but all the while he can get heat like that he's got a job for as long as he wants one, all the while he can make a crowd hate him and want to see the face make a comeback and kick his ass he'll have a job. So your right, JBL isnt a poor wrestler.

What people consider a "good wrestler" varies incredibly. Some people argue for Goldberg as a Wrestling God. Others call on the likes of Malenko, Danielson, Daniels, Benoit and Jericho as Wrestling Gods. But before we can label someone as a "good wrestler," we absolutely must dissect those two terms and how they go together. What defines a 'wrestler' and what do we mean by 'good.'

If we base it all on the ability to draw heat, JBL qualifies.
If we base it on chain and mat wrestling skills, JBL doe snot quality as he is a brawler.
If we base it on charisma, again, JBL is out as he is no Jericho or even Steven Richards.

Some people base a 'good wrestler' on mat ability, and nothing else.
Others base a 'good wrestler' on the abilities to deliver a promo, though that would garner the label 'entertainer.' A wrestler must be considered, if we look at a solid, concrete definition -- someone with a background in mat/amateur wrestling. JBL's background, if I am correct, is in football. So, JBL is not a wrestler.

But! JBL is a solid worker. For all his time in the wrestling industry, he has developed skills as the time went on. His brawling skills are good, and for a man his age and size, I am sure his size and technical ability is not too shabby. He is most likely no Benoit or Danielson, but he is no slouch and can hold his own if must.

Look at his match with Rey on Raw. Look at his matches with Eddie in the past. He is a solid worker, and he doesn't get the credit he deserves. That is true. But to impress the IWC, one must be a Wrestling God of Epic Proportions -- charismatic, young, chain wrestling skilled and uncorrupted by the WWE or TNA. But those things vary per fan...

I like JBL's work. He is watchable, he is bearable. He was awful, but he got better.

I'm not sure why the majority of the IWC is under the illussion JBL is a poor wrestler. It strikes me as quite likely as being the same people who were saying John Cena couldn't wrestle a couple of years back, before they were forced to change their opinions.

JBL has already proven himself to be a great champion. He did what a heel champion is SUPPOSED to do, that is when JBL has the title, you want somebody to beat him for it. He has actualy very good mic skills and he can consistantly get heat and people into the seats to see him get beaten.

It doesnt matter that he doesnt put on 5 star matches, he isn't even meant too his role is to make people hate him, and the proof of this is that JBL always generates heat from fans, in fact excluding Edge is there anyone that can gather the kind of heat in the WWE?!

Your thread subject and what you posted totally clash.

You are describing JBL the character. Not the wrestler.

JBL has great charisma, mic skills and can tell a story well in promo's and in the ring. He can have great chemistry with about anyone in the business (the Jericho/JBL feud sucked though.)

Plus like you said he gets an immense amount of heat. But that's not what makes a good wrestler. It helps, but it doesn't define a great wrestler.

I'm not saying JBL is a bad wrestler either. But what you are trying to get across and what you are describing are two totally different topics in general.

Your thread subject and what you posted totally clash.

You are describing JBL the character. Not the wrestler.

JBL has great charisma, mic skills and can tell a story well in promo's and in the ring. He can have great chemistry with about anyone in the business (the Jericho/JBL feud sucked though.)

Plus like you said he gets an immense amount of heat. But that's not what makes a good wrestler. It helps, but it doesn't define a great wrestler.

I'm not saying JBL is a bad wrestler either. But what you are trying to get across and what you are describing are two totally different topics in general.

Thats not true, at all. What he was saying, is (since we are on a professional wrestling forum this shouldnt have to be told to you) he isnt a bad PROFESSIONAL wrestler, which is basically an entertainer, who can wrestle. While JBL is no Bret Hart, he certainly is a good wrestler. Indeed.

JBL is one of the biggest pieces of garbage outside of the ring from what I've read over the years and yes he doesn't put on 5 star matches but he knows how to get the right kind of heel heat, (not Vickie who people just f'ing hate) and he knows how to job out to whoever needs it. He demands respect for the business and I appreciate the crap out of that. So I hate his personality but he loves wrestling, does his job well (not the wrestling part) and thus he is a good WWE employee.

JBL does his job perfectly! Remember when he was Smackdown champion, he was champion for 9 months. He made us root for the Undertaker to beat him. He made us root for Booker-t to beat him. Then, when that didn't work he made us ROOT for all three (Ediie Guerrero) of them to beat him. Then when Big Show started feuding with him, we were sure that he was going to finally lose. Heck we were even hoping Kurt Angle might steal the title and go on to Wrestlemania but no, JBL won! He even miraculously won against the Big Show at No Way Out in that Strange Cage Match. Then, enter John Cena, the newcomer. I believe that this was played perfectly as JBL became the great heel that no one could defeat, until Cena came along. He does his job greatly as he generates heel heat, he makes others look better and he annoys you like a heel is supposed to do.

In my opinion, JBL is wasted on RAW and needs to move back to Smackdown soon. He's had countless feuds with WHC Champion, John Cena so matches would be predictable and boring to say the least. If JBL did move to Smackdown he could have good feuds with Triple H, Mr Kennedy, Jeff Hardy, even Edge or dare I say it Taker? Their matches back in 2004 were very good and it would be good to have this feud back again. Also draws more limelight to the Demon of Death Valley.

JBL was one of the most entertaining superstars in the WWE when he was WWE Champion on Smackdown. He is a good wrestler but he needs to get his break and I think this can be found on Smackdown again. Maybe, interfere in a match between Edge and Jeff Hardy and beat up Hardy.

JBL WAS a good wrestler. Hes fuckin brutal now and he will even admit that. He would be best served as a manager for an up and coming star or as the General Manager of one of the shows. If he insists on wrestling then they should move him to ECW and have him stiff the shit out of developmental guys. plus, the promos he would cut about being on ECW would be fucking hilarious. Joey Styles could interrupt one of his promos in which he is trash talking ECW and then he could punch him in the face and knock his ass out. That would be one of the best segments of all time. The next week of course we would be seeijng joey styles vs. jibble in an extreme rules match. O MY (wrestling) GOD!

It's not that he's a bad wrestler; it's the way he looks in the ring. JBL resembles the Pillsbury Doughboy and it's hard to take him seriously when he looks so soft.

His technical skills are okay but the package from which he delivers them is not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back