It's Official For A-Double

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
TNA X Division Champion Austin Aries celebrates a milestone today. March 12, 2012 marks the 183rd day of Aries reign as X Division Champion. As a result, Aries current run marks the longest single reign in the near 10 year history of the X Division Championship.

I think it's safe to say that the X Division, over most of the past 3.5 years or so, hasn't been all that much to talk about, but things have gotten significantly better than they were since Aries' arrival in TNA. I think the X Division still needs a lot of work because Aries has all but single handedly been carrying it since becoming X Division champ. Aries is a star, I think that's pretty obvious to anyone that's been watching him regularly since his debut, and I'd like to see him elevated to the main event scene at some point down the road. The problem, however, is that there's certainly nobody currently in the X Division to fill Aries shoes if and/or when he moves on. To me, it sort of parallels the current situation with Cody Rhodes as the IC champ in WWE. He & Aries have both done great jobs but there's not really a strong mid-card star in TNA or on SD! at this time to carry the straps with the same level of prestige.

I hope destination x is an all x division ppv again because it would be amazing to see AA double defend title in the main event against past great x division stars - Aj Styles , Daniels & Joe.

Think about Aj Vs Joe vs Daniels Vs AA would be truly awesome but there is still 3 ppvs between Victory road and Destination x.

i would have AA win at VR then at Lockdown successful defend in an escape match with perhaps John Morrison or Chavo Guerrero making TNA debut. Sacrifice they could do a Ultimate sacrifice match with Title vs career against maybe RVD is RVD is contract is nearly up. Then at slammiversary i would love to see the return of KOTM match. Then u next ppv is Destination x.

What would be amazing is that after Destination x they good have AA vs AJ/Daniels in a feud over who is truly best X division champ as i can still see joe in tag team division. A feud normally last 3 months so it could end at Bound for glory?

AA has done wonders with X division belt but the problem is other than someone like Joe, AJ or Daniels, i cant see him looking creditable if he losses the belt. the only other option could be losing the x division title and winning tv title in the night if robbie e does another open invitational? That way AA loses x division title but keeps up the momentum and hopefully he can bring creditably back to tv title.

This is why I don't get why TNA let Brian Kendrick go, sure he didn't do much in his initial run but given the opportunity I think him and Aries could have had an awesome fued. I'm aware this had alreayd happened but with his extended absence and some character modification on kendrick's part there is no reason to believe a second incarnation couldn't have been much better. If he went back to something like the 'The Brian Kendrick', character it would have made for some pretty interesting on-mic exchanges as both guys can really talk.

Now as many others have said the only way I can see Aries credibly dropping the title is if AJ or Daniels drop back down and fued with him, which would be great but is not the answer long-term for the X-Division as they are always going to move back up. I think they need to bring in new talent capable of actually talking, the flashy moves are fantastic and make the X-Division unique but until you get a few other than Aries who can actually cut a promo the division is always going to seem weak.

Keep him carrying, he's not stale even with a half year reign. I still think his opponents come out of matches looking better than they did going in even on a loss.

throwing the older X-division stars would be a good way to build up the belt, but it knocks down the other contenders who aren't upto that level.

Your only other option is to bump AA upto the ME.... which I don't think is as compelling as being X Champion.

The greatest man that ever lived will continue to rule the X-Division. He needs to stay there. I do not care if people think he is ready for Main Event. He is the X-Division right now.

While I've enjoyed A-Double's work, I have to say that this is a pretty flimsy record at the moment because he hasn't defeated the icons of the division that still reside in the promotion. Guys like AJ, Daniels, Kaz, Sabin and Joe (although the current weight limit creates a major problem for that match to happen) would add weight. On a different track other guys that could inject more credibility to the reign would be Kurt and Jeff from the current roster; Chavo and Sonjay from Ring Ka King; alumni like Petey Williams or Low-Ki; former well known RoH rivals like Roderick Strong or Davey Richards; or even a wildcard choice like a John (Morrison) Hennigan.

congrats to Austin Aries on being the longest reigning x divison champion ever! i hope he retains for a few more monthes as right now hes only had the belt about 6 monthes and hes doing great let it go longer id love to see him start a open challenge to any former x divison champion i think that would be pretty intersting and a great way to move austin aries up the card after he drops the title

The greatest man that ever lived will continue to rule the X-Division. He needs to stay there. I do not care if people think he is ready for Main Event. He is the X-Division right now.

So was AJ Styles, and he was rightly bumped up in the card over time as well. Fact is, being the best XD wrestler on the roster is not a viable reason to hold a guy down, especially one with Aries' credibility. His age is also a factor. This isn't some 21-year old kid. Aries is already 33 so it's soon time to shit or get off the pot IMO.

One of my favourite performers in TNA, he's really developed into the total package with the exception of the fact he can't grow a bit taller as some might quibble over. :rolleyes:

I really think if they do Destination X as an all X Division PPV then Aries vs AJ Styles would make for an awesome showcase main event, but in truth by the summer Aries should be moved into the main event scene. One shame is now the X division has a weight limit it doesn't allow him to compete with bigger guys to prepare people for his move up.

What concerns me about his position is that it looks as if they are trying to move him out of the X division scene right now whilst he's still the champion. It all just sort of bares light on how poor the rest of the division is right now if they can't be bothered to at least take that belt away from him before they push him to the big time.

What I'd be concentrating on right now is building a solid programme with Alex Shelley that spans a couple of PPV's to get the belt off of Aries. The match they had was by far the closest he's come to losing the belt. I think Shelley even kicked out of the brainbuster once in the match to really heat things up. He is the ideal opponent. Then you have Sabin returning and you've got your obvious angle that doesn't demolish the avenue of reforming MCMG afterwards and during this time you can bring the rest of the up-and-comers like Nese, Xion, Haskins, whoever, up to speed so the whole thing is ready by the time Shelley and Sabin have stopped feuding for the title. BAM. You've got yourself a semi-competent division again.

But back to Aries. Yeah? Who is doing a better job than him right now... except for Bully Ray. Don't know if there is anybody in the company. He's got age and experience on his side. It's his time if they want to take things that way. He's not a tall guy but he could wrestle a style that would legit. wrestle most of the competitors under the table. Sooner rather than later, but not too soon. If he leaves the X division too soon it's going to be uninhabitable.

So was AJ Styles, and he was rightly bumped up in the card over time as well. Fact is, being the best XD wrestler on the roster is not a viable reason to hold a guy down, especially one with Aries' credibility. His age is also a factor. This isn't some 21-year old kid. Aries is already 33 so it's soon time to shit or get off the pot IMO.

I agree with what your saying, but at the same time not all wrestlers are going to win or need to win the world title. That division is being held up by guys like Hardy, Angle, Roode, and Storm. And other guys like Morgan and Bully Ray who have been in TNA longer and deserve the World Title win more then Aries. I agree that A Double is running out of time, but he just doesn't fit there right now. Thats why I say he needs to stay where he is as the Star of the X-Division.

This is a delicate spot for TNA. If they move AA out of the X Division and don't do it well they will squash a lot of the momentum he has built ... no matter how supremely talented he is.

This situation reminds me heavily of when ECW had such a great thing going with Rob Van Dam as the Television Champion and Taz as the World Champion. ECW had a genuine problem on their hands in that their second title was huge, but their guy with the top title was huge.

TNA is in a similar boat with Roode carrying the top title so well and with AA literally taking the X Division title back to its glory days. There is no reason right now to move AA into the "Main Event" scene sans the X Division title.

What they need to do is recognize that the X Division title can carry a show all by itself and elevate him to the Main Event scene WITH the X Division title. It would be easy for them to script feuds with Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Chris Daniels and the like. All of them should be interested in a title that mattered so much to them at one point and is again on a top tier star. They could then keep the World Title scene going with Bully Ray, James Storm, Bobby Roode, Kurt Angle, Ken Anderson, etc.

Having the X Division title should not prevent Austin Aries from being in the main event scene. He can do both.

I'm not so sure if this is a feather in the cap for Austin Aries, or is it instead a sad testimonial to the current state of the X-Division in TNA. I mean, is this a tremendous accomplishment on the part of AA, with such longevity for his current reign in the once vaulted X-Division. Or is it more indicative of the lack of depth, the lack of talent, and the lack of plausible alternatives in this "dial tone" division? I like AA, and I am glad to see them try to bring some meaning and value back to this division, once considered a centerpiece for TNA. But let's face it, who is going to take the strap from him. Zema Ion? Jessie Sorensen (prior to his unfortunate injury)? Shannon Moore (prior to his stepping away from the business)? Brian freakin' Kendrick? Or one of the other faceless anonymous guys who flip their way around the ranks of the X-Division?

I don't see Styles or any of these guys returning to the X-Division. This would definitely be perceived as a demotion, rightly or wrongly. So who is in the current X-Division at the moment who would serve as a plausible alternative to Aries, without totally derailing all of the progress this division has made. Personally, I can't think of anyone, so I see the extended title reign of Austin Aries lasting for quite some time. By default if nothing else.

I hope he holds it for a very long time. He seems to carry himself with prestige. Anyway now Sorensons out, Kendricks gone and im not the bigest fan of Zima Ion, although i like his wrestling, not his looks/character. I mean who does that really leave? Just Shelly an Ion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back