• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

It's His World (Kind Of) Jeff Jarrett, Dutch Mantell Officially Returning to TNA

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
As we noted moments ago, Jeff Jarrett and his wife Karen Jarrett will be backstage with TNA at the TV tapings this week, and are returning to the company.

According to Pro Wrestling Sheet, Jarrett’s new role in TNA will be as an Executive Consultant. Jarrett is reportedly already at the Impact Zone and working on the show.

Dutch Mantell, fka Zeb Colter in WWE, is also returning to TNA as a creative consultant.

We also noted that Jarrett returning to TNA will not affect his Global Force Wrestling promotion, and in a statement released to Pro Wrestling Sheet, Jarrett said his return to TNA “is a great opportunity for myself and GFW. And, I feel it’s great for the wrestling business.”

Read more at http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/791203-jeff-jarrett-confirms-tna-return#TVxqLr4HCrBopfFW.99

There's certainly a chance this could eventually lead to a second shot at a GFW/TNA merger, but it seems more likely to be a backstage creative shakeup and response to the loss of Dave Lagana late last year.

Mantell did write for TNA for years under Jarrett's watch, so he's returning to a familiar position, it seems. Part of me wonders if this olive branch might not extend to Scott D'Amore, as well, given his link to Jarrett as well?

The good news is that it's also been reported, I believe by PWI, that the deal Jarrett has signed with TNA, as well as his agreement with GFW, prevent him from being an on-air performer. This is probably a good thing. TNA need to be using 2017 to focus on 2017, not 2007, so the less these types are seen is probably for the best.

Jim Ross said:
Jeff Jarrett to the new ownership group of Impact Wrestling is good news IMO. Jeff has many viable projects at play and he knows that he has my support. The pro wrestling business needs every viable company that it can muster to be successful and provide each other with much needed competition and crucial, talent development. This arrangement could eventually wind up being a part of something even bigger. Stay tuned. It sounds like the new ownership group, Anthem, has made some wise decisions early in their tenure. Jeff was brought back to be a consultant.
I totally agree with Ross. Things are getting better for TNA as 2017 goes on.

But please don't bring him back as a wrestler. He could be a good wrestler but I don't think that he is needed in the ring. Him winning the King Of The Mountain title at Slammiversary 2015 was so wrong. Then he took that title to GFW. That was like "Beep You" to other stars of the roster while someone from other promotion won the title of your promotion.

Rant over.

It prove that anthem aren't dummies, they knew that the biggest problem was backstage and they brought in 2 of the guys that we're responsible for tna biggest success back in the late 2000's. Like him or not jarrett as an executive consultant will help the new management clean up some of the mess that dixie and her yes mans have made throughout the years. And dutch will help them go back to the basic and not overthink creative. When tna was as it's highest point of popularity, it was when they we're booking simple old school storyline which it's something that as been missing in today's wrestling world.

If what you say is true (about there being a clause in the agreement saying that Jarrett cannot be an "in-ring" performer), I'm sure Jarrett already has a legal team trying to find a loophole so that he (and his wife) can get on TV (again). Jeff Jarrett is one of the top 3 most overrated wrestlers in the history of the business (sorry, Nick Paglino), and the only thing he knows about running a wrestling business is how to book himself as the main event/world champion. Hopefully, there are enough checks and balances in this latest agreement to keep him from sabotaging the product (again).

If what you say is true (about there being a clause in the agreement saying that Jarrett cannot be an "in-ring" performer), I'm sure Jarrett already has a legal team trying to find a loophole so that he (and his wife) can get on TV (again). Jeff Jarrett is one of the top 3 most overrated wrestlers in the history of the business (sorry, Nick Paglino), and the only thing he knows about running a wrestling business is how to book himself as the main event/world champion. Hopefully, there are enough checks and balances in this latest agreement to keep him from sabotaging the product (again).
Anthem is not Panda Energy. They actually understand how a wrestling product should work. I believe that they told Jarrett in no uncertain terms that if he tries to book himself on TNA programming, he is bounced higher than a handball. The bigger plus is Mantell. If they make him the Chief Booker with Dunn-like authority, TNA will skyrocket. It would also be Midnight for John Gaburick.

Jeff Jarrett is one of the top 3 most overrated wrestlers in the history of the business

I understand having a personal problem with Jarrett and the way he has handled his ego, played into his connections, and made sure to put himself in positions of control to feature himself at all costs basically at all times since his WWE exit, but...

I can't see how any informed wrestling fan actually believes that sentence I quoted. The guy is a top level heel no matter how much you hate him personally, has had more than his share of great matches, and has always outworked the level that should have been expected from someone with his age and mileage.

Moreover, whatever your opinion of Jarret the wrestler may be, it's irrelevant to Jarrett the creative behind the scenes consultant, which is the role he's now in. History actually proves that the last time he and Mantell, along with D'Amore, had creative influence, TNA was performing at a substantially better rate.

It's worth the risk to bring him back in this role because he's almost certainly not going to be seen on-air, yet his inclusion is already painting TNA in a positive light—something they desperately need.

This actually has me interested in TNA more than I've been in years. I read on here the Anthem (like Dixie) has no idea how to run a wrestling company. Well it seems they knew this and hired someone who not only does know how tp run a wrestling company but has intimate knowledge of the company.

So long as as he stays off camera i don't see this being anything other than a huge positive.

As for Dutch i can't say much but from what I've seen of him he has a pretty good mind for wrestling and is someone else that has worked for the company in the past.

A pretty good start for Anthem if you ask me.

Absolutely. In business, smart people, who don't know something, surround themselves with those who do. In this case, that seems to be exactly what Anthem is doing, having created an entire wrestling wing to their company dedicated to learning on the job. It's a solid start.

TNA may not reach 2004-09 levels so soon but at least it's a start of news on this company besides money trouble and late pay.

This is great news to start off 2017 I see TNA as a serious threat and resurrection of WCW and hopefully with the additions of Mantell and Jarrett they can proceed into Marketing in many aspects for TNA! Get a live Canadian tour going , TNA PS4 video game , new line of action figures. How about getting decent wrestlers to raise higer ratings I say start with Great Khali ,ADR, Rey Mysterio Jr, Carlos Colon, Batista and CM Punk! I met Brooke I still have that pic of me staring at the headlights. She is an amazing performer and Gail Kim was nice to talk with. Maybe they can get back Amazing Red into TNA. This guy puts finn balor to shame if you ask me ! JJ is the founder of TNA and I am glad he came back if he can own 50% of it again this can help profitably and merge the failing GWF with TNA! I always liked Karen Angle and I believe she can increase ratings as well she plays the b*** better than Stephanie can in wwe. I believe many angles can work in TNA with the addition of JJ and Karen Angle Jarrett and have her have a battle against Ditzy Carter etc. TNA now needs to get back their roster as well perhaps bring back Jay Lethal from ROH can also work and have a solid partnership as they now do with Cody Rhodes who works ROH and TNA shows

I think it can only be good news, TNA was never the same without Jarrett, Seems a lot of dislike for Jarrett here but I believe he's been one of the greatest wrestlers of the past nearly 30 years, Having been involved in so many great matches and incredible feuds over the years and believe he is one of the few who could work with anyone and still have consistantly good matches, I also don't think he will be recognised as that as majority of his best work happened outside of the WWE and Mcmahon probably still holds a grudge over the Chyna match incident.

According to PWInsider.com, Jeff Jarrett and Dutch Mantell, although present at this week’s TNA TV tapings in Orlando, had no say in the creative direction of the tapings. The team of John Gaburick, Matt Conway and the rest of the TNA creative team were responsible for writing and directing the story lines, some of which had been planned before Billy Corgan left.

It is being said Don West returning to TNA was likely a Jeff Jarrett suggestion, and West was brought in to help TNA liquidate a lot of stock which has been sitting in the TNA warehouse in Nashville.

With regards to Dixie Carter, she was neither involved with nor at this week’s TV tapings.
So I guess that both Jeff and Dutch might start their work during the next tapings that are scheduled in March.

Dixie Carter being not involved is a big good sign for sure.

This initial year of Anthem's TNA could be a mjor stepping stone to get TNA back to a respectable position. I hope that they can manage to do so.

Anthem shows other promotions content so that doesn't show me anything that they know how to run a wrestling company. Time will tell. Jarrett was becoming a cancer at TNA at the end and even though he's not on-screen he'll being doing booking that could be just as bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back