Is there anything left for BJ Penn to do in the Lightweight Division?

jmt225

Global Moderator
Think about it, who is left in the UFC to challenge him?

Gray Maynard is the only one worthy of a title shot right now, and he has a fight scheduled against Nate Diaz on January 11th, and personally... I don't see him walking away as the victor in that one (Diaz has defeated him once before). So, assuming he does lose, what on Earth is there left for BJ Penn to do in the Lightweight Division? He has beaten everyone they have put in front of him, and done so decisively.

The real top contenders aren't in the UFC, but honestly... Penn would destroy all those cats as well. Shinya Aoki, for example, is the 2nd Ranked Lightweight in the World, and there's no doubt in my mind that BJ would absolutely demolish this dude. Aoki's stand-up is atrocious, he wouldn't be able to take BJ down, and even though Aoki is phenomenal on the ground, IF the fight were to go there, I still don't think he would be able to hang with BJ there, either.

So, what do you guys think? Am I right, or is there someone left to try and dethrone BJ Penn? Should BJ forfeit the Lightweight Title and make a permanent move to Welterweight? Let me hear it...

I think it is the logical thing for BJ to do JMT. BJ has basically dominated everyone in the Lightweight division and needs to step up to Welterweight to have any sort of challenge. That being said I would like to see BJ vs Aoki I'm sure they could put on a clinic. But as you said he would not be able to take BJ down. BJ's takedown defense is fantastic as shown at UFC 107. I really think its time for BJ to forfeit the title and step up to the Welterweight division.

I don't think there's anything left in the lightweight division for BJ. He's proven that no one in the division has what it takes to go toe-to-toe with him at this point in his career. It's time he goes back up to welterweight. We've seen him fight GSP twice, and the that's probably his next big money fight. Maybe have a fight against someone else WW first. Maybe Koscheck?

I think theres 3 people in UFC i dont see anyone beating them in there divisions, BJ , GSP and Ando Silva. Now looking at Ando Silva stepping to LHW thats ok. As for BJ he must step up to WW to, hes destroyed everyone in the LW division, and currently i dont see anyone else left for him. Miby one more fight vs Koscheck like said above, only so i could see Koscheck get destroyed.

But yes BJ definetly has to step up, Another fight with GSP would be good, but to see GSP destroy BJ again ?

That leaves a question for anothr thread, were the hell should GSP go .......

There really is not much left for BJ to do, like everyone else has already said. I wouldn't mind seeing BJ defend the belt at least two more times just to reach that iconic status of a defending champion such as Chuck Liddell, Anderson Silva, and Matt Hughes. But there would also really be no point to it. He is plain and simple the best Light weight in the world and no one is going to change that.

I would like to see him fight both Gray Maynard and Frankie Edgar but like I said previously neither stand a real chance against Penn. I would also like to see Shinya Aoki come to the UFC and fight Penn. Both camps are talking a lot of shit to each other and it would be nice to see one of them get shut up. However, I don't really think Aoki will sign with the UFC.

As the rest of you have said, it would make sense for him to move permanently to Welterweight and earn a fight with GSP again. That is really the last real money fight left for BJ. I see him running through some of the better WW. Swick and Alves would both lose to BJ because his boxing is far superior to theirs. Penn should beat Kos since he has great take down defense. The only two guys who really pose a threat to Penn are Jon Fitch and GSP and I don't see a fight with Fitch in the works unless Penn becomes champion. GSP and Penn is a huge drawing fight that is best for both men, in my opinion of course.

As for BJ he must step up to WW to, hes destroyed everyone in the LW division, and currently i dont see anyone else left for him. Miby one more fight vs Koscheck like said above, only so i could see Koscheck get destroyed.

Well, Koscheck is Welterweight, not Lightweight, so for BJ to fight him, he would have to move up to 170.

But yes BJ definetly has to step up, Another fight with GSP would be good, but to see GSP destroy BJ again ?

That's why I think BJ should forfeit the Lightweight Title (maybe after one more fight against Maynard, if Maynard defeats Diaz next month), move up to 170, and fight CONTENDERS there to EARN a shot at GSP. Koscheck, Alves, Fitch, etc. are all possible opponents for BJ if he moves up, and if he destroys any of those guys like he did Diego, then he's ready for GSP.

Seriously, let's face facts here... the BJ Penn we saw Saturday is NOT the BJ Penn we saw face GSP back last January. The BJ Penn of today would put up a much better fight, and I think everyone agrees with this.

Besides, if Tito and Liddell can have a third fight, even after Liddell defeated Tito twice (though that second fight had an early bullshit stoppage if you ask me), then BJ can certainly get a 3rd Fight against GSP, especially when the 1st fight could have easily gone to BJ with the decision.

Look at this shit, though. Here's an UNBELIEVABLE fact from Fight Metric:

The last time they credit a 155-lb fighter with taking down BJ Penn at that weight was Gomi over six years ago. Also, BJ Penn "own goaled" his face immediately after the fight got called more times than Diego Sanchez landed.

I mean, really guys... how dominate is this man at 155? It's just mind-blowing.

BJ is the best P4P fighter in the world. Bar none. I said it. Nobody except GSP and Fedor have demolished a division more than him. If BJ were to move to WW he would need to put on all muscle, because GSP would just overpower him. BJ moving to WW would be his best bet for competition now a days, and he could actually do very well against guys like that, if he stays training as he is now. I'd fucking LOVE to see GSP vs BJ again with BJ's new training and if he put on muscle I think he'd be able to give GSP a run for his money.

BJ has destroyed a who's who in the Lightweight Division.

Joe Stevenson
Sean Sherk
Kenny Florian
Diego Sanchez

All four are top lightweights. These four are also better than Gray Maynard. Gray's a good fighter, no doubt about it... but BJ would absolutely destroy him. The only fight that I think is really left for BJ at 155 is Frankie Edgar, who would give BJ at least a challenge, but I still think that BJ would eventually crush him.

I think it's time for BJ to make one last run at GSP for one last mega-fight. I think there are a lot of interesting matchups for him at 170 as well. I would love to see BJ take on the likes of Jon Fitch, Josh Koscheck, Thiago Alves, and Dan Hardy. If BJ takes those guys out, then he would definitely have to be regarded as one of the best of all time, and the fight against GSP for the title would be insanely awesome. I think that BJ needs to knock off some of those guys at Welterweight. He's shown that he has a harder time winning at Welterweight, and it would be unfair to all of those guys I listed above if he's allowed to go in and get yet another shot at GSP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back