• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is the Revival of the Heavyweight Division the Key to the Revival of Boxing?

People's Champ

Bleeding Teal
It seems that a good number of people read the Heavyweight Division thread. That's good. I encourge those that read to come join in the discussion. Share your thoughts and views. Now on to the topic at hand.

"The Heavyweight division will always be the division that Americans care about". I've read that plenty of times on different websites, articles, heard it on TV and the radio. America loves its Heavyweights. It could be because of the rich history and entertaining fighters (Ali, Louis, Fraizer, Tyson etc.) that caused America to fall in love with boxing and the Heavyweight division. But now, the Heavyweight class has fallen off from boxing and it seems that America has too.

We've had fantastic fighters in smaller weight divisions who have put on some fantastic fights in recent memory. Gatti v Ward, Corrales v Castilllo, Vazquez v Marquez etc. Yet it seems as tho none of it has made a difference. It seems as tho boxing is popular only when big name fighters step into the ring. De la Hoya, Mayweather, Pacquiao. Other than that, boxing has lost a lot of its fanbase. Just look at this forum. Plenty discuss MMA but show little interest in boxing.

Now the question comes up. Is the revival of the Heavyweight division the key to the revival boxing? If not, what is?

Now, there will always be folllowers of boxing, no matter what weight class, what fighters are in the ring. But for the rest of America, is the Heavyweight division enough to bring them back? What do you think is needed?

While I don't watch too much boxing as of late few years with the exception of the Super Six tournament, but I feel that sure I've heard of the lack of interest the heavyweight division has been going through, I still wouldn't exactly say that improving that would improve the whole sport.

MMA has become very popular in the past few years, and I think due to that, the boxing fans (while some are still loyal) are more tuned into that, I personally would say that if I had the possibilities of watching both regularly, I would most likely be more interested in MMA as opposed to boxing, and it's not because of the talent, I just think that MMA has gone to become more interesting.

There's not so many big names remaining in the sport that really leaves their mark as far as I would say, we don't see guys with the mainstream connection like Mike Tyson and Muhammed Ali, perhaps with the exception of Mayweather Jr.

While from my knowledge the boxing heavyweight division could use a lift, I don't think it will be enough to revive the sport, they need to do things that will draw the crowds back again, I mentioned it in some other thread and actually proving my point earlier in this thread, people will most likely be interested if we actually see the best vs the best like the Super Six tournament.

The Super Six tournament is new, it's exciting, we're seeing champions vs champions to truly crown the greatest in the world, we're not seeing that a lot anymore from my knowledge, we're seeing mostly contenders to a championship who is either going to be a future great, or get his ass kicked around for a few rounds and knocked out because he couldn't lace the champion's boots.

Well the HW Division is the marquee division in boxing.Any boxing historian will tell you that as does PPV numbers that indicate that unless you're name is Oscar then the Heavyweight division is where the $$ is at.America is obviously the big market,and thats where the PPV buys come from mainly.Now look at the American heavyweights at present.Chris Arreola is mediocre as is Eddie Chambers and the list goes on.

Our generation has been brought up with Riddick Bowe,Evander Holyfield,Lennox Lewis and "Iron" Mike.And the generation before that had Larry Holmes,Muhammad Ali,George Foreman etc.I think for the Heavyweight scene to pick up again we need to see a good American Heavyweight that catches the public imagination over there in the US,but he needs to be built up slowly by fighting fringe contenders and ageing name fighters that the public can remember from years gone by.Chambers and Arreola had there shot too soon and it has ruined there credibility with the casual boxing fan,for when they see an ad for any of these guys fighting again,they will think to themselves "oh i remember watching that guy when he fought for the title before and got whooped" and they wont buy it.

I have always said as soon as we get another American HW Champ,that boxing will pick up as a whole again.

Floyd vs Pac would certainly help as well though!! lol

So is there any young prospects over in America right now 88? I have'nt really heard anything promising coming out of the US for a while now,which is quite depressing.

CAPS a guy by the name of Ashanti Jordan is the closest prospect I've heard. He's. From right here in the bay area, San Francisco. He's 10-1 I believe. I hear he has a great jab and some good power, but weak with the inside game. But last I heard he was a very prospect who is being promoted by Golden Boy Promotions. So look for him. Other than that, I haven't heard much, which truly is depressing.

In America the heavyweight division is key to the future of boxing, in the rest of the world it's no more important than those below it. Seeing as America is key to the future of boxing though... well yeah.
The problems are the moment are numerous but they mainly come down to 2 issues. Too many paper champions because of the numerous boxing associations and too many weight divisions. It's all a bit complicated, difficult to keep track of and really annoying when you actually do know what's going on. There needs to be an established champion in each division, that is absolutely essential. There has to be a target, someone you can say "This is the main man, I need to see this". I really do like Vitali Klitchtko but that he refuses to fight his brother helps no-one.
Secondly, and I've spoken about this before, there are too many weight divisions. Not only does that create a kind of laziness in the fighters trying to meet weight, not only does it then force fighters to move through the weights to get any recognition, but it means the talent is so spread out that there is a lack of quality fighters in each division.
If the sport wants to sort itself out, it needs to establish a world governing body to take the power away from the ridiculous power struggle between rival boxing organisations. I don't think the appetite for boxing has disappeared at all, it just needs to be presented differently.

I dont think Boxing needs a revival. Maybe USA need an American heavyweight boxer who is a real threat to the titles and can capture their imagination. I know that the division generally is in poor shape because you look around and the Klitchskos and David Haye are the only real quality fighters, Valuev because of his size i suppose has to be included.

But i dont think boxing needs a revival. Look at the lower weight divisions. There are fantastic fighters who can make huge fights. I dont think there is as much an anticipated fight as Pac Man v Mayweather, then the same division had Ricky Hatton who is popular, Amir Khan is in there, and he beat Malignalli in a good fight.

The super 6 with Froch, Kessler etc is also producing good fights. Maybe if boxing is in need of any sort of revival, it should give a few fights on free TV to recapture any lost interest and then have those new fans order following fights.

It does get very expensive, having to order WWE PPVs, UFC and boxing. Maybe something should be done there to rebuild audiences. Wrestling and boxing are craving a new boom period, but it needs to approach it differently, maybe reaching out to masses by presenting free quality PPVs or fights or whatever is a good way to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back