• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is the Divas Championship a world title?

No Count Pup

Just call on me brother
The Divas Championship is the only women's title in WWE. Does that make it a world championship? Should Divas Champions be referred to as world champions? I think so. In boxing and MMA female champions are called world champions. The WNBA has world champions. It would make sense for WWE to refer to their female champions as world champions too. What are your thoughts on the Divas Title holding world championship status?

I consider the Divas Championship Title a World Championship Title. The only Championship Title in the WWE that I don’t consider as a “World Championship Title” is the United States Championship Title.

Considering it's the only title they have in a very small division, I would consider the title holder to be the best of the bunch. That isn't always the case as we've seen in the past, but yes right now Charlotte would be the women's world champion.

The WWE might not think so the way they've named it, but anyone can read into that what they want.

Honestly, I have trouble considering it a championship period. I truly hate the fact that they are referred to as Divas and hold a "championship" that is so hard to take seriously. When the day comes that they stop with this Divas crap, if that day comes, I will then be able to take WWE lady wrestlers seriously and consider the title holder a world champion. The biggest problem with the "Divas revolution" is that there is no revolution. Instead they took the top women from NXT and objectified them to being lowly "girly girls". Sickening!

In the context of women's wrestling, yeah. The Divas championship is arguably the top women's championship in the industry and very few are able to gain the kind of recognition that this title has. Yes, the diva's belt isn't always taken seriously, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a top women's title in the biggest company known to professional wrestling.

Are any of those belts really "World" titles?

The WWE isn't exactly a melting pot. Right now their diversity only goes so far as Kevin Owens, Rusev, Sheamus, Neville/Barrett and Del Rio. I think Seth Rollins is part Armenian as well. There's 196 (Suck it China!) countries in the world and the WWE only represents like, 8 of them.

To be a full fledged "World" title, every organization claiming to have such an accolade should have to employ performers from every single country in the world. It'll make the feuds pretty interesting when the Palestinian wrestler clashes with the Isreali, or the North Korean wrestler and the Venezuelan wrestler win the "World" tag team titles.

The same for the women. Raw will have to extend to around 10 hours just to cover all the raucous action. I heard Lesotho women are pretty mean.

In Boxing and MMA... This is pro wrestling dude... The woman are not in the same league as the guys, in the eyes of the fans and WWE... The Divas Title is below the mid-card titles... But really, the titles in WWE don't mean anything, they're just used to progress storylines... In Boxing and MMA they're actually championships. In wrestling they're just props, and that goes for any wrestling organization... How do the titles mean anything if they know whos going to win the title before they walk through the curtain?.. That proves they're props.

It's sort of a useless semantic definition, really, in the world of wrestling the Divas title is the ultimate prize for women, so if you need to define it thusly, it is a World Title.

As far as "WORLD" title in the olympics sort, There's not very much international action, mostly American and Canadian athletes, occasionally an athlete from Japan or Mexico or Europe crosses over, but it's almost purely North American competition.

the title is defended in usa, japan, mexico, canada, england, ireland, and many more.. yes i consider the wwe divas championship a world title

When it comes to being a "World" championship, any promotion in any sort of industry can declare its top belt, trophy or whatever a "World" championship if they want to. In wrestling, boxing or MMA, a championship is a piece of property owned by the promotion/governing body and said organizations can declare their titles to be "World" championships if they want to. It's just that simple really.

Now whether or not any particular promotion/governing body has the legitimacy to make such a declaration is often entirely subjective. For instance, in pro wrestling, hardly anyone could argue that the WWE World Heavyweight Championship isn't a "World" championship in pro wrestling because of WWE's longtime status, success, revenue, exposure, general fame and that they regularly have shows in other countries. Now if it's some small indie promotion that might perform in front of 50 fans per show, then such a claim has no real legitimacy but that doesn't mean that the owner still can't call or view his/her top title as a "World" championship if he/she wants to.

Outside of the Olympic Games, there's no single wrestling, boxing, MMA, basketball, football, baseball, soccer, etc. promotion/governing body that has competition from the entire world. Even in the Olympic Games, an asterisk could be argued as legit because not every sport in the games has athletes from every country competing in them. The teams of the NBA, NFL and MLB don't compete against every other league or team in their respective sports in the world, yet the teams that win the top titles each year are referred to as "World" champions.

So if WWE wants to think of the Divas Championship as a "World" championship, they can and nobody can stop them. Again, considering WWE's status in the wrestling world, there's not much of a legit argument that can be made against it.

Outside of the Olympic Games, there's no single wrestling, boxing, MMA, basketball, football, baseball, soccer, etc. promotion/governing body that has competition from the entire world. Even in the Olympic Games, an asterisk could be argued as legit because not every sport in the games has athletes from every country competing in them.
Well, Olimpics have qualifying norm or hold tournaments to qualify. Football(or as you silly americans call it- soccer) has large qualifying tournaments hold by infamous FIFA where you are competing against your continental countries over entire year span to represent your nation and continent at World Championship. So, World Football Champion has every right to call himself that name because he kinda did gone thru best of the bests to be there and can be called legitimatly that name.

Its kinda silly to do it in wrestling but they can call themselves World Champions of WWE because its their federation and they can call their belt as they want. Guess you are kind of "best of the best" eventhough its scripted sport and somebody else decides wheather you win or lose World Championship. Though in Womens Division of WWE they are just Divas. So its reffered as Divas Championship.

It is in the sense that it is the top prize for female wrestlers in the WWE.... although it's not a true World Championship. If John Cena were to win it then I doubt he would suddenly be regarded as a 16 time World Champion afterwards. Granted, John Cena is never going to hold the Divas Championship, but the point is, it's not a legitimate World Championship. It's the closest thing the divas have to one. Within kayfabe the one holding the belt is supposed to be viewed as the top of the division. Charlotte is the best diva in the world now (kayfabe) however she is not a World Champion. If she had the chance to face Seth Rollins for the actual World Heavyweight Championship you know she'd take the opportunity. Thus, the butterfly is not a world title.

the fact that it is called the "Divas" championship and female wwe wrestlers are called "Divas" in the first place is rubbish. It's not like the WWE World Heavyweight Championship is called the "Superstars" championship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back