Is Tampa Bay Screwed Without Monte Kiffin?

Cena's Little Helper

Mid-Card Championship Winner
So, I just found out today that Monte Kiffin, the Defensive Coordinator for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for 12 years, plans to take the same position at Tennessee under his son, Lane Kiffin.

As a Redskins fan, I couldn't be happier. For the past decade or so, the 'Skins have had a small rivalry with the Buccaneers, as the games they have had have been extremely close and physical. Personally, I think this is a big blow to the Buccaneers and that there will definitely be an observable difference next season, even if the Buccaneers keep their secondary intact in terms of its players. And, this bodes well for their meeting with the 'Skins next season (at least it bodes well for me).

Tampa Bay isn't screwed without Kiffin, but Kiffin is screwed without Tampa Bay.

His scheme is great, and the Cover 2 is one of the hardest to work against, but it only excelled to the level it did, because of the players. Without guys like Brooks, Barber, Lynch, Sapp, and Nickerson through the years, it would've been good, but not the best defense in the NFL. Other teams have used this scheme, and it has only been partially successful. Whoever steps in for Tampa, will have their own scheme, but the players will excel anyway.

Kiffin is going to a school that hasn't had major success since the elder Manning left town, and is in desperate need of a solid recruiting class. The first 2 or 3 years will be tough, but once kids that go because the Kiffin's are there start playing, it'll be a good fit for him.

Tampa Bay isn't exactly screwed because they're losing/have lost Kiffin.. but I would say they're screwed because age is a number that decreases value, and more than half of their Defense is aging in a bad way.

Add onto that that I would guess Gruden's job is now on the line going into next year's Season, and he still hasn't found a top quality "franchise" QB.. yeah, they aren't in great shape but it isn't anything that couldn't be turned around in a year's time.

The Draft should help them discover a future Franchise QB. If Free Agency helps them find another stud at Wide-out, and some youth for their Defense.. they'll be just as good as they have been for the previous 2+ years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back