Is Shelton Benjamin Next?

flunked

Dark Match Jobber
My question appears to be a bit open ended. "Next what," you may be asking. But that is the glory of the question because there are two possible questions to ask and only one can happen. I'll leave you to work out the questions for now as will be coming back to them later.

Shelton Benjamin is an amazing athlete. At the high school level, he competed in American Football, wrestling, and athletics. Most impressive of these, however, is that he finished his wrestling career with a 122-10 win-loss record and was a two-time South Carolina State Heavyweight wrestling champion. He was quickly signed by WWE and has since become a 4-time OVW tag champion, 2-time WWE tag champion, and a 3-time WWE Intercontinental champion. Not only that but he is one of only four people to beat Triple H three times in a row and he is called the best pure athlete by JR. In doing this, he has shown off some amazing in ring skills, he has run up ladders, jumped straight onto the top rope for a superplex, as well as many others. He has achieved quite a bit but since losing his first intercontinental championship after an 8-month reign, he has reached a bit of a plateau and not really achieved anything new. Not only that, but he has been turned into a momma's boy and more recently someone who believes his is being held back for being black (who cares about being PC). Neither of these has really aided his standing in the WWE card nor have they put him over as a top contender for any title, especially when combined with the losing streaks he constantly ends up on.

This leads me to my questions:
Will Shelton Benjamin be the next WWE champion? Or will Shelton Benjamin be the next person to leave WWE for TNA?

As you can see, only one of these two events can occur and if he doesn't win the WWE title, I would expect him to move on to TNA where he will get the respect his wrestling skills actually deserve.

So why hasn't Shelton moved onto winning one of the two main titles in WWE yet? Because his microphone skills aren't good enough for Vince McMahon to believe he can be a top draw and have a good feud and as you know in the WWE world of sports entertainment, having charisma and being able to talk are all that you need to be able to be on top; just look at John Cena (although he can wrestle better than WWE lets him I would like to say). Yet there have been other wrestlers who couldn't really talk yet still made it to the top, Brock Lesnar, Big Show, and Goldberg. Shelton can wrestle better than any of them he just isn't a very big wrestler as Vince wants everyone to be nowadays (i.e Batista and too a certain extent Lashley but Lashley has a good amateur wrestling background). This just makes me think that there really isn't any real reason why Shelton hasn't moved to the upper card yet.

So how might Shelton move up to being a top contender for the title? Shelton needs to develop some sort of 'X factor' which will separate him form the other wrestlers in the WWE. Big Show's rise was due to his size; no one really cared that he didn't talk much as they didn't want to see him talk; they wanted to see him squash everyone with his blubber. I don't really know what he could come up with, but until he finds with this 'X factor' in my opinion, there are two things that could be done. Firstly, I think he needs to get himself a better finisher, as I don't believe that his T-bone is good enough as it doesn't have a build up or have a huge impact that makes the opponent look out of it. He used to use the 450 splash in OVW, but that is banned in WWE so he needs to use something new. My suggestion would be a side slam like The Rock used to use. This could be a real improvement as you know the sort of reaction the Rock got when using the Rock Bottom and it would allow Shelton to put some attitude into the move after he places the opponents arm over his shoulders. Secondly, he could get himself a manager; not a momma like he already has done, a manager that will build him up as a top-notch wrestler, a man that deserves to hold the title. This could lead him to the title because Umaga is set to become WWE Champ and that has nothing to do with his ability to talk.

However, if this doesn't happen then I would expect Shelton to get fed up of being underused and being thrown into another dead end angle. Just like many other wrestlers, most notably Christian Cage who also had had great charisma but never got anywhere. Moving to TNA could be very tempting for Shelton because it will allow him to show us his full potential while competing in either the heavyweight division or in the X Division. Did you know that Shelton used the 630 on occasion in OVW? And in TNA he could make it to the top because they focus more on the quality of the wrestling over how well they can talk. Or even if he doesn't win the NWA title and wins the X Division title, he will at least have won a title that has some prestige to it unlike the Tag and Intercontinental Championships in WWE.

Overall, I think it is clear that Shelton Benjamin is probably one of the most underrated wrestlers on the WWE roster along with Matt Hardy and only time will let us know what is going to happen. Personally I think that time will be WrestleMania 23.:icon_exclaim: :icon_exclaim: :icon_exclaim: ......:headbanger: ......Unless of crs if WGTT Still remains....

ANd i Hope to see a Shelton vs Orton Fued after tht for the World Heavyweight CHAMPIONSHIP.....

Well it looks like the WGTT is going to be reformed for awhile and have a feud for Cryme Time, I would actually rather see that right now more than seeing him feud with Orton but I think Shelton will get a chance for the World Heavyweight championship somewhere down the line.

Well it looks like the WGTT is going to be reformed for awhile and have a feud for Cryme Time, I would actually rather see that right now more than seeing him feud with Orton but I think Shelton will get a chance for the World Heavyweight championship somewhere down the line.

what does WGTT mean

what does WGTT mean

Worlds Greatest Tag Team - if u haven't seen them before Kurt Angle brought them out as a tag team on Smackdown then during one of the drafts Benjamin was drafted to RAW.

Don't know how long the reunion will last but Hass seems more excited about it then Benjamin, they looked good though. Benjamin definetly has more potential to go to the top then some of these other guys maybe this will help jumpstart him back too where he was when he first came to RAW. now i wish they would've kept The Hardy's & MNM back together, great competition.

i think the wgtt/cryme tyme fued would be awesome
they are two good tag teams that could fued for the belts
if shelton were to go to tna it would really help his career and he would be used correctly
he could fued with aj styles and put on awesome ultimate x matches

i think the wgtt/cryme tyme fued would be awesome
they are two good tag teams that could fued for the belts
if shelton were to go to tna it would really help his career and he would be used correctly
he could fued with aj styles and put on awesome ultimate x matches

Only problem i see with Benjamin in TNA is they seem to be getting further & further away from X-Division competition so he might get stuck in the same situation there. in WWE he can always be put back in the IC Champ race.

Shelton needs a manager or agent...i said this in another thread a couple weeks ago, but i think he shouldve been given the "MVP" gimmick, seeing that he is already billed as perhaps the best pure athlete in the WWE...i could see him building towards WrestleMania as the "real" Mr Money in the Bank and after stealing the show the last 2 MITB @ WM 21 and 22, he should actually win it @ WM23...boom there you go he gets his shot

To answer your question YES should be the next WWE Champion or WHC if he ends up on Smackdown you never known

When Jeff Hardy return to the WWE Shelton was pulled back because of him and now he been stuck on heat and sadly doing F*** ALL.

Yet there have been other wrestlers who couldn't really talk yet still made it to the top, Brock Lesnar, Big Show, and Goldberg.

Yes that true but Lesner was push up too far and Goldberg was ilreay a huge superstar in WCW, Big Show cus of his size (as you already said)

Lashley aslo another superstar push up too fast aswell now the ECW champion.

Firstly, I think he needs to get himself a better finisher, as I don't believe that his T-bone is good enough as it doesn't have a build up or have a huge impact that makes the opponent look out of it. He used to use the 450 splash in OVW, but that is banned in WWE so he needs to use something new. My suggestion would be a side slam like The Rock used to use. This could be a real improvement as you know the sort of reaction the Rock got when using the Rock Bottom and it would allow Shelton to put some attitude into the move after he places the opponents arm over his shoulders.

Giving him the Rock Bottom is a great idea when he makes it to that level, i never like that T-bone finisher anyway but i agree on what you say.

Secondly, he could get himself a manager; not a momma like he already has done, a manager that will build him up as a top-notch wrestler, a man that deserves to hold the title. This could lead him to the title because Umaga is set to become WWE Champ and that has nothing to do with his ability to talk.

This is something alot of people have talk about i do agree with him getting a manager but i'm not sure who really but their a big difference between Umaga & Shelton.

Finally him reforming with Hass again this a good idea but if they do they should move to Smackdown now that there some strong tag team on Raw.

Yes that true but Lesner was push up too far and Goldberg was ilreay a huge superstar in WCW, Big Show cus of his size (as you already said)

Lashley aslo another superstar push up too fast aswell now the ECW champion.

This is something alot of people have talk about i do agree with him getting a manager but i'm not sure who really but their a big difference between Umaga & Shelton.

Finally him reforming with Hass again this a good idea but if they do they should move to Smackdown now that there some strong tag team on Raw.

Yeah well lashley was pushed up too fast. RVD even though coz of his drug bust shudve been champion or CM Punk but i guess Vince just had to put it on a his fav. type "THE BIG GUY".....Lashley has a great amateur background but still too fast...:blink: ..and for god sake's vince plz lashley is not EXTREME...PUNK STANDS FOR ECW..HE WAS WAY OVER STILL GOT ELIMINATED FIRST AND AT SURVIVOR SERIES HHH HAD TO IMPROVISE DUE TO THE CM PUNK CHANTS....VINCE PLZ REALISE THT AND UR RATINGS WILL JUMP VERY HIGH FOR THE FACT THT OLD SCHOOL ECW FANS WUD TUNE IN TOO SEE THE NEXT BIG THING ON ECW...CM PUNK....PLZ VINCE I KNW IT IS TOO EARLY BUT OTHER THAN RVD AND PUNK AND OF CRS TOMMY DREAMER (WHO WAS WAY OVER AT WWECW DCD)....OR ATLEAST PUT THE TITLE ON RVD AND LET HIM FUED WITH PUNK IN AN EXTREME RULES MATCH AND U WILL EARN UR FAN BASE...SLOWLY....AND THEN CAN MAKE GRADUAL CHANGES TO THE "NEW VISION" OF ECW.....FOR NOW IT JUS SUX SEEING LASHLEY HOLD THT TITLE......CM PUNK IS THE FUTURE OF ECW:headbanger: :headbanger:

i compared umaga too shelton in like....if shelton had a mouthpiece who is as gud as ARMANDO ALEJANDRO ESTRADA .....he cud be fueding for the heavyweight championship...and then he can phase out his "mouthpiece" and can be sum1 like BENOIT WHO MADE AN AWESOME CHAMPION...AND HE IS DUE FOR ANOTHER CLASS SHOWING AT WM23:headbanger:

i agree with all u guys CRYME TYME AND WGTT shud fued and it wud mark 2007 with a bang...but i really wish Shelton gets wht he deserves and isnt dumped my the WWE....Haas also is really gud...so he cud fued in the mid card area for the US Title or the IC Title...pairing him up with Viscera was jus plain stupid and a waste of his time....and a waste of his talent....I AM VERY HAPPY WGTT HAS REFORMED AS THEY WILL DEF HELP REBUILD THE RUINS WHT WE CALL THE TAG TEAM DIVISION....SMACKDOWN IS IMPROVING WITH REGAL AND TAYLOR FUEDING WITH KENDRICK AND LONDON....AND THE RETURN OF KC JAMES AND IDOL STEVENS WILL COMPLETE THE REFORMATION OF THE TAG TEAM DIVISION

But all i can say...i really hope they dun misuse Shelton....because well i guess TNA will be better for him and think of the matches he can have with STYLES AND DANIELS....tht will elevate the X Division to the sky.....

PLZ WWE U HAVE A GREAT WRESTLER......PLZ DUN WASTE HIM......I BELIEVE ORTON,EDGE,SHELTON,HAAS,PUNK,CRYME TYME,MATT HARDY,etc AND OF

CRS HARRY SMITH AND DALLAS HART CAN RECREATE THE HART FOUNDATION...ONLY IF THEY SIGN WITH THE WWE...HOW COOL WUD THT BE???

Shelton is a great wrestler, but one of the worst interviews in the history of the business. He is absolutely terrible. He needs to work on that before he can be a champion. That "Spanish/English" dictionary comment was one of the most horrible attempts at teasing an rival. Get him a manager to do the talking. Ron Simmons would be good if he says more than DAMN!

Shelton is a great wrestler, but one of the worst interviews in the history of the business. He is absolutely terrible. He needs to work on that before he can be a champion. That "Spanish/English" dictionary comment was one of the most horrible attempts at teasing an rival. Get him a manager to do the talking. Ron Simmons would be good if he says more than DAMN!

Ron Simmons would make a good manager fo Benjamin & him walking around saying "DAMN" every week is getting old but WWE always does that. now i could see Simmons as a manager saying "DAMN did u just see my kid Shelton whoop that boys ass, we want a title match.....DAMN!".

Shelton is a brilliant wrestler who is underused why not reform them as a tag team on smackdown rather on raw the raw tag team scene right now iis good unlike smackdown where the need 2 well basicalli sort things out and why keep Gregory Helms as cruiserweight champ is ther any need 4 a cruiserweight belt atoll i dont see any reaon 4 it 2 stay

I like how there reforming the WGTT, it shows that the wwe want to keep sheltons character on tv and keep him in viewers minds. The WWE arent ignorant,they no how much us fan boys love shelton and as such they will push him,but in time. I dont want to see a rushed push like lashley,especially not now after SB has been in the wwe for years,would seem to forced. He needs a carlito style push,and yes,a manager would be a good idea (whoever said simmons,bravo. A cryme tyme/benjamin faction,lead by simmons would be great. Imagine a group who claim to be held back by steotypes i.e. stealing,rap music etc but keep upholding these every week. I think it would work well!).
Also, i think there building to one of the 4 main mid carders on Raw winning the MIT next 'Mania. Carlito/Nitro might already be there (main event) by wrestlemainia, but Hardy/benjaminn might just need that extra oush thatMITB So clearly gives weretlers in the mid card.

I like the whole WGTT reunion they have going on right now, and I think it's agood fit for bith Shelton and Haas, they should run with it for a couple of months(6-7 tops), and maybe even give them another tag title run then when the time comes to split them they shopuld have them lose the titles and a manager come in and tell Shelton that the reason they lost was because of Haas, then Shelton could turn on Haas and feud with him for a month or two, then move on to feud with others such as Carlito, Jeff Hardy, and even Super Crazy(who also deserves a push), give Shelton another long IC title reign, then when the Royal Rumble rolls around have Shelton be the last man eliminated, that would give him a push going into WM24 where he would finally win the MITB match, then the following month at Backlash he wpuld use his MITB contract to challenge fo the WWE title and would win it then get a 4-5 month title reign

to answer the other questions, for a manger I like the Idea of Ron Simmons, but also think that other good choices would be Bischoff, Kristal(from SD!), and Divari(I'm assuming that eventully they will relize that Khali is a lost cause and release him, this would free up Divari and then he could manage Shelton). As for a new finisher, I do think he needs one, but I don't know if the Rock Bottom is the best choice, it just seems to be over-used, I thinking of something like the Catatonic that "Wildcat" Chris Harris uses in TNA, that or a version of the Cutter or Neckbreaker, also a hig flyer move off the top rope would be good maybe the Houston Hangover(Booker Ts flipping leg drop). And finally, the TNA question, I think Shelton would be a good fit in TNA but if they don't get a second hour then he shouldn't bother because they don't have enough time to showcase what they got now, actully what would be a good Idea for TNA would be for them to get a second hour for Impact then get another hour long show speciically for the X-Divsion and Highlights, but thats a whole nother topic, If Shelton were to go to TNA i'd like to see him either face-off agaisnt or join up with Elix Skipper, maybe form the all black faction with Killings, they could be a black LAX.

Lashley has had a meteroic rise, some deserving, but its all about timing. When you want to transition from a giant like Big Show to another long term champion they can't be completely over welmed by size. Cause in order for the transition to be complete we have to see two or three matches between Big Show and Lashley. After thats complete Lashley is a smaller big guy and its more believable that Rob Van Dam or Cm Punk can beat him on a consistant basis then they could Big Show

Shelton is one of my favorites in the business for the lone fact that he is able to do things others cannot. Some of the displays of speed and agility I have seen from him in some matches have been just incredible. I said this in another threat but what I think needs to be done with Shelton is that they need to turn the focus of his character to just being a true wrestler. WWE lost Kurt Angle to TNA... I think that WWE could turn Shelton into their new Kurt Angle. Unmatched wrestling ability combined with an increased level of intensity. I do agree that the T-bone isn't quite the caliber finisher needed... I think he should still use the move, but maybe try out a submission hold or some other type of move(maybe even an Angle slam?) to finish off opponents. I'm getting impatient with the lack of push for Shelton's incredible talent.

Shelton is one of my favorites in the business for the lone fact that he is able to do things others cannot. Some of the displays of speed and agility I have seen from him in some matches have been just incredible. I said this in another threat but what I think needs to be done with Shelton is that they need to turn the focus of his character to just being a true wrestler. WWE lost Kurt Angle to TNA... I think that WWE could turn Shelton into their new Kurt Angle. Unmatched wrestling ability combined with an increased level of intensity. I do agree that the T-bone isn't quite the caliber finisher needed... I think he should still use the move, but maybe try out a submission hold or some other type of move(maybe even an Angle slam?) to finish off opponents. I'm getting impatient with the lack of push for Shelton's incredible talent.

I like the idea of Shelton useing the angle slam as a new finisher, a few submission holds i think would make good finishers are the guillitine choke, toture rack, and koji clutch, I really hope they push Shelton more soon, I like WGTT and think that both members are great, but lack the ability to pull together a good promo, an easy fix to this would be to add Elijha Burke to the team as their manager

i think it's time to fix up the tag disvision of wwe and wgtt will help that

get the hardys back to together as well

It's strange to me that they would go all the way with somebody who is'nt very athletic with near zero charisma (Batista), but somebody who's athletic with near zero charisma(Shelton) is wasted in the mid card. If Batista can carry the main strap on Smackdown why cant Shelton? He could wrestle the poo out of Batista. Neither are very good on the mic. The difference being Benjamin could have had an intresting feud with Booker, and Triple H.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back