Is Sheamus the second coming of Kane?

Smartie

Broski of the Week #22
Do you know Sean Morley aka Val Venis?

He is a former WWE superstar who is recently talking about what's going on inside wrestling.In one of his interviews he talked about that he's been told that the reason Sheamus has lost his steam is because they've found him "unmarketable"?

In honest words of WWE champ: Really?Really?

I just hope that's some rumor.But the thing that I wanted to talk about is that at least to me , It seems that Sheamus is becoming another Kane.

he started by beating Cena , Orton and HHH and now he is jobbing to Mark Henry.

But that's not the point , the point is that it seems his losses are not because he has a problem backstage , it seems that WWE is already using him to elevate the other guys.

Sheamus was the man who brought Morrison back to the super stardom level,he was the guy who helped Santnio to have his current run and he recently has put Henry on the map.

It seems that he is the guy who doesn't have a certain level.i mean when he is feuding a main-eventer , he is a main eventer and the day after that he can go and job to mid-carder and happens to look natural in both of those situations.

That to me , is definition of Kane.He has been like the ultimate answer for WWE's unsolvable problems.We want to push someone?Kane.We ran out of ideas for Taker?Kane.We have lack of guys in MITB?Kane.Our IC champion isn't over enough?Kane.We want to give someone an underdog victory?Kane.Our top guys are injured and we need a believable champ or contender?Kane.

That's the path that I see Sheamus in.

They even have the same weird unique kind of look that makes them always a pleasure to watch and keep them relevant to a wrestling product , but at the same time this look may limit what they can do as characters.

I personally don't know if it's a bad thing or not.I think you could have at least 3-4 years of Sheamus running with his heel persona in main-event before make him an step for the others.But at the same time I agree that his persona doesn't allow him to be creative.And becoming kane also means that you will be safe and there will be no future endeavoring or "we don't have anything for you right now."

so What do you think?

-Is Sheamus and what he is becoming right now in any shape or form reminds you of Kane?

-Has Sheamus really stepped away from top or is it just me over-reacting?

-Do you see Sheamus as a different character than what he is now in future?For example a clear-cut babyface?Something that Kane could never do.

-And if someday Sheamus becomes somone like Kane , Do you consider it a good move or a waste of talent?

Thanks.

Is Sheamus and what he is becoming right now in any shape or form reminds you of Kane?

It's not a bad analogy, but the two people involved have traveled such different paths that it makes comparison difficult. Kane has had a long career playing different characters: Unabomb in Smoky Mountain, a dentist(!) in WWE and a heel-face-'tweener monster since then. Sheamus, on the other hand, started with a persona that was straightforward; a no-gimmick Irishman with a nasty personality and some impressive in-ring skills. It's ironic that the first gimmick he's ever been given (KOTR) was followed by a fall from the top of the charts.

It could be as simple as Kevin Dunn not liking him. We'd hate to think that the opinion of one person in Creative could doom the standing of a performer, but it might be so. But Sheamus is young, strong and talented and he may very well be able to climb from the depths. The best example of this happening is....Kane. Before Undertaker got hurt at the hands (feet?) of Rey Mysterio, Kane seemed to be going nowhere, as usual. The company needed to come up with a program in a hurry.....and suddenly Kane was the champion after years of being a guy who presented as a monster who went went nowhere in the rankings.

Now that Triple H is finished making movies and is coming back as a wrestler, maybe he'll be taking more control behind the scenes, too. Since he seems to be so high on Sheamus, perhaps he can negate (or overrule) Kevin Dunn and get Sheamus career moving upward again. Still, it's deflating to think that a guy's career path could be bounced around between two administrators.

As for Kane, we hopefully won't see him going back to the glorified jobber he played before his unexpected push to the title.

Perhaps they can use him as a drill sergeant again.

yankem.jpg

I think that Kane's biggest problem was that his entire character was based around The Undertaker. He was supposed to have come into the WWF just to destroy The Undertaker. It is no surprise that it is only when he has feuded with Taker has he found any main event success to speak of. In Taker's company or as Taker's antagonist he seems to develop supernatural powers which heightens his aura. Without the influence of Undertaker, the guy is just another monster heel. His entire popularity was based around the fact that he was an equal to The Undertaker but that fact kinda disappeared every time he feuded with someone other than Undertaker.

Sheamus isn't like him in that way. He came to the WWE just because every other superstar comes to the WWE, in order to win titles. His popularity is based of his look, his mic skills and to an extent his in ring skills. He has the potential to be a permanent main eventer but the thing is that he is too stale on Raw. He has feuded with Cena, Orton and even Morrison. It looks as if he is heading towards a feud with Bryan and after that is over he would have feuded with all the babyfaces on Raw. He needs to go to Smackdown to refresh himself and if that happens you will surely see him in a different light.

Imo im on Jericho side. On his last run he tweeted something like its no.big deal to lose. And i think he's more like this, he's believable loser and can also be maineventer defeating cenq or slashing Daniel bryan. His character seems to have a bad temper and that make perfect sense to lose some to me when he's too angry he makes mistake. I really enjoy sheamus and I believe he will be a top guy for a long time. Hethey just have So many new talent they want to push and So many top guys, no big deal if he doesnt go to wrestlemania.

No he is not the next Kane. The problem that Sheamus has had is that he has had to compete against the Nexus and obviously WWE wanted to get Nexus over as the most dominate heels in the company. After that they really worked hard to get Miz over as a good heel. Now as of late he has even jobbed out to the likes of Mark Henry. I believe that after Miz drops the belt that Sheamus will be right back up there in the title picture.

Sheamus jobbing is a work of beauty, I don't believe Cena has pinned Sheamus on TV and I know he hasn't on PPV yet Sheamus has 2-0 on PPV over Cena (3-0 if you include Fatal Four Way) yet Jomo beats Sheamus every time since Survivor Series minus the King of the Ring finals so what does that tell you?

Sheamus is the go to guy to be put over, hell Henry beating Sheamus is magic as we know Sheamus's character would destroy Henry everyday of the week yet he's put him over and it won't hurt him but gets Henry over..

Kane is ironic, I'm a fan fan always have, always will; his characher is based on being the Brother of The Undertaker which has probably kept him from being cut in the past, not that he's a bad worker as he isn't but he did go a while not being on PPV and just putting people over.

When he has looked good has been against Undertaker or with him, WWE dropped the ball last year after his domination of Undertaker they should of kept the belt on him until Rumble then him join the rumble match to be eliminated. Then given a meaingful feud head into Mania, now he's going to be in the MITB. WWE seems to fail with this guy which is a shame but Sheamus/Kane are nothing alike.

-Is Sheamus and what he is becoming right now in any shape or form reminds you of Kane?

No. To simply put it, no. Kane was this monster of a man who was running through people and was this unbeatable man. He was destroying The Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Triple H, etc. It felt like no one could stop him before 2004 or 2005 rolled around, that's when this go to Kane thing for all the answers happend. Hell he was feuding with Snitsky.

Now Sheamus is a monster of a man, running through people, but he really never had that unbeatable feel to him. He's going to be around for a long time, but in no way is he like Kane. He lost any kind of Kane factor in less then a year. He accomplished a lot in that year and I don't think you can really forget him beating Cena twice.

He's stepped away a little bit, but he's right between mid-card and main event. It's kind of like he's in a loop and they don't know what to do with him. We'll just have to wait a little bit longer to find out. I mean he won King Of The Ring, took out Triple H, was the second fastest WWE champion in history also winning a second title in later months, and all of that was in around a year. Just because he's not in the title picture the whole time means he's on a lower tier now.

-Do you see Sheamus as a different character than what he is now in future? For example a clear-cut babyface? Something that Kane could never do.

Again, not getting the comparing of him to Kane, but maybe. I get you think he's jobbing to people to get them over, but this has been happening for, what, 2 months? It's way to early to call the jobber roll. I honestly see him as a heel for a long, long time. He's doing very well as a heel, but to tell you the truth I could see the WWE trying to turn him. If that doesn't work he's doing just fine as he is.

-And if someday Sheamus becomes somone like Kane , Do you consider it a good move or a waste of talent?

How is he going to become someone like Kane? Like I said before, they're two completely different breeds of monster. Sheamus was brought up completely different then Kane, and he's not nearly what is Kane yet.

I don't see Sheamus as a waste of talent in any form, even as this King Sheamus character. He's still good ol' Sheamus. So if somehow they did turn him into the 'next Kane', it wouldn't hurt him, he's already made an impact like this in less then a year and I'm sure they're not going to. If they did though, I don't see it hurting him too much considering Sheamus has taken out the likes of John Cena, Triple H, Randy Orton, etc and for titles.

You make some decent comparisons with Sheamus and Kane honestly. They really do both serve the same purpose of filling in any spot on the card. They can elevate other people, they can fill in spots in Chamber matches and whatever else without really having a reason to be there, etc.

I don't really know why Sheamus got to this point though. He seemed to have so much potential. Despite WWE trying to appear that they care less about wrestlers being huge muscle-men these days, I'm sure Vince still likes the big guys, so that should be a huge advantage that Sheamus has over most of the current roster who look like frat boys who just happen to hit the gym twice a week. His mic skills are decent, not the most engaging guy in the world but certainly far from the worst.

Val Venis sort of made a decent point, but then again, Sheamus is a heel, and a traditional one at that. Only the "Tweener" type heels really have any market value. Orton can go around being a heel, but he's the modern day Austin and can still sell T-shirts. But Sheamus is just a plain old cheat-to-win heel. Kind of hard to market. I don't think it's that you can't successfully market HIM, I just think it's his current situation. If he was a face with a really hated heel to work against, I think the fans would connect to him and he could be marketed. Or even if he was just a different type of heel, not such a cowardly one, it would give him more of a chance. It's silly when you think about it, he's one of the most physically intimidating guys out there right now, and he's getting booked as a guy who has to cheat, and is used to make guys like Santino and Morrison look better? Looking at it realistically, Sheamus should be destroying people like that. Speaking of that, it wasn't that long ago that Daniel Bryan was getting fed to Sheamus a few weeks in a row on Raw. I think that's the last time I remember Sheamus looking dominant.

I really hope the best for him and I hope they find a better way to book him soon. Does he even have anything lined up for WM at this point? Such a shame.

Are people saying Kane is nothing without the Undertaker? Or are they just saying he's best when he's feuding with Undertaker?

Either way, I don't agree. Kane has had many important feuds with many different people, the most significant point of his career was probably his unmasking which had NOTHING to do with the Undertaker. Kane is right behind Edge for the record of most tag titles held in the WWE, only about a quarter of those reigns were with the Undertaker. I will admit that his debut was highly about Taker because they're kayfabe brothers, but by 2002 it was very clear that Kane is his own man with his own persona.

I know this is pretty off topic but it was just bothering me with how many people said Kane is only exciting with the Undertaker. That's like saying Matt Hardy is based on Jeff Hardy, Christian is based on Edge, and Chavo is based on Eddie. Of course they're similar, they're family (some legit some kayfabe), but they are their own man just like Kane is.

Sheamus has been out of the title hunt for less than six months, and people think he might be on his way out of the main event picture? I think some people are, A. Impatient, and B. Jumping the gun.

Also, people are ignoring the way Mark Henry is being booked. He's being booked to be as a big of a monster as Sheamus. I'm not sure how many of us are buying into it, but that's what they're attempting to do. In the eyes of the WWE machine, Mark Henry is a monster. I see him as a jobber, but they don't.

And where else is Sheamus supposed to be right now? Who else can he feud with? Looks like he's going into a feud with Daniel Bryan, and even if the U.S. title is on the line, that's not what it's about for Sheamus. Sheamus is looking to hurt someone, and Bryan might be the next in line. It's a good rub for Bryan, but it doesn't hurt Sheamus, not one bit.

Personally, I don't care if Sheamus returns to the title hunt, or becomes the next Great Khali. I'm not a fan of Sheamus, so I don't have a dog in this hunt. But, his dropping down for a few months cannot be taken as a real sign of things to come. The main event picture is pretty crowded right now, so every now and then someone has to take a hit. Right now, Sheamus is that guy.

In short the answer is no.
Kane as with a few others is what is left of the Attitude era and Kane as a wrestler has held many championship belts both as a singles and a tag team competitor. Kane has also been in many main events not only on ppv but on Ecw , raw and smackdown. And we as wrestling fans like Kane - we like him in the mix. Dont forget as well when we first saw Kane he was bought in as a storyline as the Undertakers brother and then carved his own career. Should Kane have had more wwe titles - absoloutley -why didn't he austin, The rock , Triple h simple as that - those storylines were just better and everybody else at the time got bit parts around it. Should Kane get one more run as wwe champion - yes of course - he desrves it.
Now as for sheamus - he turned up as an angry young irishman and still is an angry young irishman , sure hes been wwe champ twice and won kotr but as with a lot of the younger wrestlers the stories have been rushed , belts given and us as fans haven't had the chance to really decide if we like the character. What the wwe should have done is when sheamus first came onto the scene have him alongside a mentor Finlay or william regal for instance and bring him along like paul Heyman did with Brock lesnar. We as fans needed to be told of the story of who was coming to the wwe and why and finally he should have worked his way up the roster before taking on the established stars.For Sheamus to work now he needs a wardrobe change , drop down to either the Us title or inter continental title scene and hold it for 6 months or so and then start interfering with the wwe title or whc scene. In fact get him feuding with Kane or big show or Christian now .

Reactions: TLC

Not really. He already has as many World Titles as Kane in his short career, and it took Kane 12 years to attain his 2nd World Title reign. Really, you could almost say his most recent was actually his 1st "reign", because his first World Title "run" lasted one day.

I think it is a little too soon to consider Sheamus as falling off or something like that. He can't be the ONLY one to receive a push. There are other guys as good, if not better then him, that also deserve a push. I think he has been handled well so far. WWE backed up his 1st World Title with another one shortly thereafter. So, I think his credibility will remain solid while they figure out exactly what to do with him next.

-Do you see Sheamus as a different character than what he is now in future?For example a clear-cut babyface?Something that Kane could never do.

I can see Sheamus being a Face eventually. He is pretty good on the mic, so if they decide to turn him, I think he will do well enough on his own to get himself over in that respect.

I do not think he should ever be wasted. I think they should and will basically always have something for him to do. Whether he is a Heel, or a Face, I think Sheamus will remain pretty damn relevant in his career, probably more so then Kane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back