Is Raw more unpredictable than pay-per-views?

brighamosity

Getting Noticed By Management
I was thinking about something. Raw (or Smackdown) often ends with some new surprising development. Some lately have been CM Punk joining Nexus, Wade Barrett forming The Corre, The Miz winning MITB, etc. These were all surprising because they came out of nowhere, without any hype whatsoever.
But when is the last time something like that happened on a pay-per-view? Even when something does happen, it was likely hyped by the announcers beforehand.
My guess is that WWE only wants to give you what it hyped for the pay-per-views. And it's a good idea. An example that comes to mind is all these people saying that the Raw GM might enter himself into the Rumble. I don't think they will do that, because they didn't hype it. If that were to happen, the GM would have buzzed in at Raw and said "I am entering myself into the Rumble." and the announcers would have hyped "Sunday we will find out who the GM is." This is just a hypothetical example. PPVs only offer what was hyped, because only a limited audience is watching. Raw is watched by most of WWE fans, so that's where the big unnanounced swerves take place. We'll surely get something unexpected at the Rumble, but I'm also really looking forward to the next night on Raw.

Does anyone agree with me? Or am I totally out in left field for thinking this?

While I agree that Raw is more unpredictable than PPV's, not everything on a PPV is hyped as you say. How many of the recent PPV's have had Tag Team title matches that were not announced on the card? They may not be the greatest matches, but they're still unannounced.

As for PPV's being too predictable, it's the nature of wrestling. If someone wins the title at PPV A, they're not gonna immediately give it up at PPV B. It's a worthless run and it doesn't build up the feud or the title. But that's also why PPV's such as RR are so great, because they can really do whatever they want with it. The title matches might be predictable, but can you really say you KNOW who's gonna win the rumble? Or even enter it for that matter since only 36 out of 40 names have been announced. The biggest draws of PPV's aren't always unpredictability though, it's the payoff.

You are right though in saying that Raw and sometimes Smackdown is less predictable. They've done a pretty good job at bringing surprises out. Though some people will say Miz cashing in and Punk leading Nexus were kind of predictable, at least you really couldn't see those coming until some point after Raw had already started, however early into it. You could even go as far back as the debut of Nexus. Who in the hell saw that coming? And while Barrett coming to Smackdown (and eventually forming Corre) was stated as the best solution for him, no one really knew it was gonna happen till it did (unless they read the spoilers).

In the end, while I agree with you that Raw and Smackdown, in general, are more unpredictable than most PPV's, I still can't wait for PPV weekends to see what's going to happen. Even if I predicted it correctly or not.

I would say for the most part, Raw is more unpredictable than PPV's. Usually @ PPV's, we alreday know the outcome going into it, which is too bad because about 5 years ago I would say it was the other way around!

I don't think PPVs should necessarily be that surprising. Raw should clearly be more unpredictable. That's where all the stories and feuds develop. I pay to see a PPV event, and that's what I expect to get. I don't mind the occasional change or surprise appearance, but it's supposed to be a culmination of that months work.

Wade Barrett forming The Corre

the "New Coke" of the WWE. Something we've already seen but with a slight Zeke, er, tweak, to it. Surprising? Raspberries...

not everything on a PPV is hyped as you say. How many of the recent PPV's have had Tag Team title matches that were not announced on the card? They may not be the greatest matches, but they're still unannounced.

the Brain made an excellent point about this on another thread. Would it even make sense to only give people what you said you'd give them on a PPV and throw all your curve balls on free TV? I can't see that growing your PPV buys...

I don't think PPVs should necessarily be that surprising

I've read your columns and thoroughly enjoyed them, really I have. Please explain this? I kinda like it when I can't predict the ending of a TV show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back