• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is it time for WWE to consider it's own television package in the USA?

ad21k

Pre-Show Stalwart
It already has WWE 24/7 but I mean put all of its shows into a monthly television package, and include the PPV's (excluding the 4 big ones) as part of it.

The way I would do it would be to keep ECW free to watch, as it doesn't have that much of a pull factor anyway IMO and only draws a fraction of the viewers that Raw and Smackdown do. it would also act as a good advert, and I think would boost TV ratings for ECW as for people not willing subscribe it would be their only alternative other than TNA.

It is similar to what the WWE does in the UK where it is leased to the Sky Sports package, where we only pay for major PPV's i.e. The Royal Rumble, Wrestlemania, Summerslam, and Survivor Series.

So what are american fans thoughts on paying say £15 ($30) a month to watch all of WWE's programming and some PPV's on one channel, rather than having to subscribe to different individual networks to watch them? Do you prefer this idea (the UK model), or the current format?

This is fantastically interesting.

The New York Yankees have The YES Network. It earns them, no lie, BILLIONS in revenue.

The New York Mets have SNY. It also has become a MEGA cash stream.

Jim Dolan, who owns Madison Square Garden, also owns the Knicks. The Knicks benefit financially from the MSG networks. The NJ Devils and NY Islanders, who not only don't play in Madison Square Garden but also are the major rivals to the NY Rangers who DO play there, show their games on the MSG networks.

So why couldn't Titan Sports and World Wrestling Entertainment have WWE-TV? Show the 24/7 Programming on the network, along with Raw, Smackdown, and ECW? And to take it one step further, a hybrid of Sly's suggestion of purchasing the indy feds - FCW, OVW, OCW, LCW, IWA, AAA, ROH - let them purchase time slots on the network. Hardcore fans would tune it constantly.

Why wouldn't it work? I'd watch it!

Reactions: OIL
the only thing about this idea is this though, paying $30 a month to get shows i get for free pretty much anyway. the only thing this idea adds is ppv's and to get and watch them it costs like $30 each to order them anyway. id still have to pay for my normal cable which had the wwe for free, and an extra $30 a month now just to watch it. and while i consider myself a big fan, i don't think id sit there and watch it 24/7 to even make it close to worth it.

the idea really only shifts were you pay your $30 at, and in essence may not even create anything new, why would people who don't want to pay $30 a ppv once a month, pay $30 a month and get the same shows they got for free before and the same ppv?

My lack on understanding on television networks is going to hinder me here, but my initial instinct is that it wouldn't work.

Pro wrestling isn't something like American Football. Football (apparently) commands more crusader like supporters than King Richard (history joke), and there are legions of fans who'll do whatever necessary too watch it.

Conversely, once you take analytical nut jobs like us out of the equation, the bulk of wrestling fans aren't quite as passionate. A lot of people just watch it because it's there. Because they watched it when they were kids or for whatever other reason, and probably aren't going to want to shell out $30 a [time period] just so that they can watch one show.

Similarly, a large portion of pro wrestling fans are kids. Parents may be fine ordering an occasional PPV as a treat for little Timmy, but when Timmy's TV show starts doubling their cable bill, they're probably going to start advising him to play outside more. Good for Timmy perhaps, but not for the WWE.

Like I said, I know nothing about what such an enterprise would realistically entail. My logic could prove to have more holes than Swiss cliché, I just wanted to get up to 100 posts tonight so I don't start obsessing about it over Christmas.

the only thing about this idea is this though, paying $30 a month to get shows i get for free pretty much anyway.

You have to pay the get the networks though, and you get the PPV's included which are actualy I think $35 so your already saving money. You personally might keep the cable but it rewards fans of WWE who get cable mostly for that purpose.

the only thing this idea adds is ppv's and to get and watch them it costs like $30 each to order them anyway. id still have to pay for my normal cable which had the wwe for free, and an extra $30 a month now just to watch it. and while i consider myself a big fan, i don't think id sit there and watch it 24/7 to even make it close to worth it.

It might not be in your interest but from a business perspective for WWE it could potentially be a great idea. Fans of WWE will be forced to pay WWE a monthly fee otherwise they wouldn't be able to watch their programming. And while this may lose some viewers it won't matter because WWE's revenue would increase dramatically because more people will subscribe to the package than buy PPV's sso they already will be making more money.

the idea really only shifts were you pay your $30 at, and in essence may not even create anything new, why would people who don't want to pay $30 a ppv once a month, pay $30 a month and get the same shows they got for free before and the same ppv?

Your looking from it from a fans point of view though, and while it is important to keep most of the thing for fans happy, making money is the most important thing for WWE. I belive enough fans would subscribe to the challange and make it a huge success. And fans that get 24/7 and who buy the PPV's save money so it rewards loyal fans.

I was actually thinking about this when I was watching a 24/7 preview not too long ago.

I think it's a workable / bankable idea if WWE does a few things. First, I think they would need to bring a lot of the older style programs back. I can remember all the names, but I'm talking about the ones that would always air on weekend mornings. The ones with Gene Okerland and Gorilla Monsoon. It would also be helpful to bring back shows such as Heat and Velocity.

My next idea would be brought in from the sports world. To fill up space, WWE could air pre and post game shows before and after Raw, ECW, and Smack Down. There could be analysts, and ex wrestlers to talk about the matches and politics of the shows.

To fill in more time there could be special shows. By this I mean something like a Top 10 show, where they count down specific moments of WWE. They could also air more of the local wrestling shows that aren't televised. On top of that, they could also air FCW events, which on top of filling air time, would also get viewers more acclimated to rising talent, and could give execs a better view into how a gimmick would work on the big shows. Another idea would be a call in type show. Viewers could call or email and debate certain issues in WWE. Pretty much just like what goes on here. Not to mention WWE could air old episodes of Tough Enough and the XFL.

I could come up with more ideas, but WWE isn't paying me, so I don't want to lose everything I got...

Its according to what they turn the wrestling show into. If I still have to watch the same crappy wrestling that I've been watching for past 2 years. Then no. If they put a little more effort into it, then yes. I would be willing to watch no problem. I like your train of thought, great post. Like IC25 said, it is facinatingly interesting.

The only thing WWE would really have to do. Is put amazingly great storylines. Then leave everyone with a cliff hanger. Make them buy, and instead of just paying monthly. Pay yearly, or something like that. At that point every time the year comes leave us with another interesting cliff hanger.

I think it could be a good idea. As long as they show Raw, Smackdown, ECW, A recap show on Sunday, weekly specials, the pay per view for the month, including the big names, then people will pay. These programs running alongside WWE 24/7 would cause big WWE fans to tune in. If WWE ever started up a tough enough reality show again, they could also put that on the air. The Diva Search could happen on the channel as well. If I had the choice, I would buy it, as WWE is one of the few programs I tune in to now adays anyways. It would also enable every fan to just have one channel to have to tune in. This would also benefit WWE Films, as they could release their movies onto the channel a few years after they come out. You could watch See No Evil/The Marine/ and whatnot whenever. WWE could alsop perhaps partner with some WWE related movies and play them on their. Bands that are partnered on there could also be given a monthly show to tell about their work. I really do not think it would be a problem for WWE to fill up the week with progrmas, and think it could be a success, with them never having to worry about Smackdown being cut again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back