Is Charlotte Flair the Roman Reigns of the women's division?

Psykohurricane55

Staff member
I don't know if It's just me, but I'm starting to get tired of Charlotte being push as hard as she is all the time and how she been put on a pedestal from the wrestling media.

I get that she's a flair and that the flair name is very marketable but why does everybody else in the division as to suffer because of it. The reason asuka became a afterthought is because she's on the same roster as Charlotte. Naomi became a phantom since Charlotte showed up on smackdown. Becky, who's a better wrestler then Charlotte in my opinion, had to turn heel to get notice and will probably just be feed to Charlotte until they change program.

It's been like this since her debut. They use so many women's to make Charlotte the face of the division which is sad because They're so many awesome wrestlers in the women's division that aren't getting the push they deserve because they need Charlotte to be the face.

Now she's in a program with Becky and I hope creative realize they made a mistake and do the double turn at some point because fans seem to not want Charlotte in the baby face role anymore as they are sick and tired of her being given all the opportunity when others are getting the shaft.

Anyway, That's just my opinion on this but what do you guys think. Is Charlotte the Roman reigns of the women's division?

I see your point, to an extent, but comparing her to Reigns is ironic since she actually gained a lot of fans respect after her heel turn. She did a great job as a heel. My biggest complaint about her is that when she went to Smackdown she magically became a face for absolutely no reason.

And Becky's heel turn was necessary in my opinion. She was super bland as a face.

I see your point, to an extent, but comparing her to Reigns is ironic since she actually gained a lot of fans respect after her heel turn. She did a great job as a heel. My biggest complaint about her is that when she went to Smackdown she magically became a face for absolutely no reason.

And Becky's heel turn was necessary in my opinion. She was super bland as a face.

Yet, looking at the reaction she got on Sunday and even on smackdown this week, that respect seems to have left and replace by hatred toward her. I feel like fans seem to be fed up with her always getting opportunity while others like Becky is getting the shaft.

I get where the OP is coming from and it's something I've seen others say in various comments sections in some articles on some wrestling websites.

Charlotte's biggest problem isn't that she keeps getting pushed, it's that she's miscast. I have to disagree with Bill as I think Charlotte should've been the one to go heel while Becky was kept as a face. Fans want to cheer for Becky, they like cheering for her, they want to rally behind her and that's why they're still doing it. Charlotte is far, far more entertaining as a heel and it's a role that just suits her. Prior to SummerSlam, Charlotte was already an 8 time Women's Champion in WWE, counting the Divas and NXT Women's Championship but she hadn't been champ in a while. Having Becky score the win, a gal that's mostly been a background player since her SD Women's Championship run ended, just seems like an ideal opportunity for Flair to lash out. Flair hasn't been on top for a little while, Ronda Rousey is all anyone has really talked about when it comes to the women for the past few months and winning at SummerSlam would've been her opportunity to get back in the spotlight. Being denied that with a Lynch win would've been more than her ego could stand, she still wanted more in spite of all she'd accomplished already. Instead, WWE's gone with Becky as the heel who just hasn't been able to measure up to her friend rather than someone who'd reclaimed her own time in the spotlight after being mostly an afterthought for a long time. To me, much like her father, Charlotte is bland as a babyface.

Becky gave a great, passionate heel promo on SD Live last night but the fans still cheered their heads off for her. She insulted them, they cheered her. Of course, Vince no longer cares about good vs. bad and they'll just plow through things regardless of fan response just like they've done with Roman Reigns, Elias, Rusev Day and anything else.

Gotta agree with Jack here... so much that a "double turn" may be in the future for Lynch/Flair if crowd reaction in general mirrors that of Brooklyn.

As for the topic at hand, I can't say that Charlotte is the Roman Reigns of the womens division. Roman receives the chorus of boos nearly everywhere he goes... comparatively speaking it may be worse than what Cena is subjected to sometimes. Compare to Charlotte who is far more (often near universally) cheered during her matches and promos... well, pre-Becky's "heel turn" anyway.

Looking solely at Summerslam, I didn't feel much heat from the crowd when Charlotte won the Smackdown Women's Championship... moreso were the cheers when Becky fought back against a situation that was seemingly unnecessary and unfair than anything specifically against Charlotte. Compare to Reigns... despite him toppling Lesnar after so many years/attempts, it was hard to find anyone in the crowd (save for some isolated instances) that was genuinely pleased that Roman (finally!) captured the Universal Championship.

When Charlotte brings out her dad, the fans cheer... when the Rock gives Roman his sign of approval, the fans not only boo but boo louder. The list goes on and on.

I get what the OP is saying and while I'll concede that there are some (read: few) similarities, the hate/despise for Charlotte just isn't there. For Roman, it's pretty tough to hide even with the crowd dampening and re-editing tricks that WWE frequently employs.

I get where the OP is coming from and it's something I've seen others say in various comments sections in some articles on some wrestling websites.

Charlotte's biggest problem isn't that she keeps getting pushed, it's that she's miscast. I have to disagree with Bill as I think Charlotte should've been the one to go heel while Becky was kept as a face. Fans want to cheer for Becky, they like cheering for her, they want to rally behind her and that's why they're still doing it. Charlotte is far, far more entertaining as a heel and it's a role that just suits her. Prior to SummerSlam, Charlotte was already an 8 time Women's Champion in WWE, counting the Divas and NXT Women's Championship but she hadn't been champ in a while. Having Becky score the win, a gal that's mostly been a background player since her SD Women's Championship run ended, just seems like an ideal opportunity for Flair to lash out. Flair hasn't been on top for a little while, Ronda Rousey is all anyone has really talked about when it comes to the women for the past few months and winning at SummerSlam would've been her opportunity to get back in the spotlight. Being denied that with a Lynch win would've been more than her ego could stand, she still wanted more in spite of all she'd accomplished already. Instead, WWE's gone with Becky as the heel who just hasn't been able to measure up to her friend rather than someone who'd reclaimed her own time in the spotlight after being mostly an afterthought for a long time. To me, much like her father, Charlotte is bland as a babyface.

Becky gave a great, passionate heel promo on SD Live last night but the fans still cheered their heads off for her. She insulted them, they cheered her. Of course, Vince no longer cares about good vs. bad and they'll just plow through things regardless of fan response just like they've done with Roman Reigns, Elias, Rusev Day and anything else.

I agree that Charlotte is pretty bland as a face, but she had at least been getting cheers this time around (before Sunday) since coming to Smackdown (as a face for no reason). And I do believe that is a result of her great heel work on Raw. Becky, while still one of the most over faces on Smackdown, was losing the pop she receive because she was just so generic. Even worse than Charlotte's initial face run imo. Becky needed the change more than Charlotte did. And I do agree with others on here that this would be a good time for WWE to flip the script, so to speak, and have a double turn occur. It would put Becky over massively (which sort of has already been accomplished) while also putting Charlotte where she belongs as well. I would just fear that Becky would fall back to being the same old Becky again.

I have another question for you guys. Do you believe that if Charlotte wasn't related to Ric Flair that,

A) she would have gotten as many opportunities as she's gotten
&
B) She Would have been as over with fans and the media as she his ?

Personally, i feel that being Flair'S daughter did help a lot in her getting the spot she got in the company and that's why when she has a bad match or botch a spot, most people will blame her opponent for that and not Charlotte.

If she was just another run the mills women wrestler with nobody famous attach to her, fans wouldn't be as forgiving as they are with her i think. The Flair name carry a lot of prestige in the world of wrestling and i'm not blaming WWE or Charlotte for taking advantage of this. But it's still kind of sad for those that worked as hard and are as talented as she is to be passover all the time because they have to keep Charlotte in the spotlight because of the Flair name.

I have another question for you guys. Do you believe that if Charlotte wasn't related to Ric Flair that,

Hard to say. I think the honest answer, and the unpopular one, is that she's gotten the opportunities because she legitimately deserves them. It's hard to doubt that if you take everything into account (mic work, in-ring skills, look, charisma, gimmick, etc.) she's very easily the most complete package in the Women's division. There's also the fact that Vince and the rest probably creamed their pants when they signed her. A relatively young, proven athlete, with a good look standing nearly 6ft tall AND who happens to be a Flair? Yeah, they would have been dumb not to see the potential there. To answer the question, yes I think being a Flair helped her immensely in breaking into the business and probably afforded her certain opportunities. But to be fair, it's very hard to take somebody seriously at this point if they say that's the only reason she's in the spot she's in. She's clearly a special talent, which can't be said for Roman Reigns when you compare him with his peers.

Being Ric Flair's daughter would have hindered her in this respect, at least when you talk about current day wrestling fans. To think that she actually got accepted by the modern day fanbase after being rocketed to the top, especially considering her dad was Ric Flair, is kind of mind-boggling.

&

Of course she got the initial opportunity because of her last name. Ric Flair is a multi time HOFer, so not to give his daughter a chance would have been ridiculous. Just look at the other's who got their foot in the door because of who they were related too. Roman Reigns, Curtis Axel, Goldust and Cody Rhodes, Tamina, Natalya, The Uso's, Bray Wyatt, Bo Dallas and the list goes on.

The thing with Charolotte is that she is actually good in the ring, I think she just might be a better wrestler than her father is. In other words she took the Flair name and ran with it and made it work for her in ways that others haven't. However famous your last name is matters not if you can't back it up.

Personally, i feel that being Flair'S daughter did help a lot in her getting the spot she got in the company and that's why when she has a bad match or botch a spot, most people will blame her opponent for that and not Charlotte.

If she was just another run the mills women wrestler with nobody famous attach to her, fans wouldn't be as forgiving as they are with her i think. The Flair name carry a lot of prestige in the world of wrestling and i'm not blaming WWE or Charlotte for taking advantage of this. But it's still kind of sad for those that worked as hard and are as talented as she is to be passover all the time because they have to keep Charlotte in the spotlight because of the Flair name.

Oh I think fans blame her for the botches that she makes, I know I certainly do. If she does a moonsault off the top of the ring post and misses, no one's fault but her's. I also don't blame her for taking all she can from this sport, she has certainly earned what she has received so far. Charlotte Flair is by and large one of the best women in the division, doesn't matter what her last name is.

I have no idea why other's are being passed over in favour of her. To be honest this has been happening now in the men's division for a long time, 4 years to be exact and you were okay with that.

I have no idea why other's are being passed over in favour of her. To be honest this has been happening now in the men's division for a long time, 4 years to be exact and you were okay with that.

Nice little jab in the end there and i really didn't mind it. That's kinda of the point of the whole thread in the first point is that i get why Charlotte gets more opportunities then others. It's pretty much like Reigns in that charlotte is marketable so why not make as much money as we can with her.

The thing is that i'm trying to bring out here is mostly that why fans where more accepting on Charlotte Major push that she got only because of her last name. The thing is, they are better wrestlers in the women's division then Charlotte Flair. Becky Lynch is one of them, Asuka is another one that could run circle around charlotte if they let them wrestles for real, even Sasha Banks is better then charlotte in my opinion yet they get overshadowed by Charlotte. That's were this whole thread was about and the comparison between Reigns and Charlotte started for me. The only difference between both of them is that fans in the past, Charlotte was getting this ''shove down the fans throat'' type of push and because she came from NXT and had a long run there + she was Ric's daughter, they accepted that push right away and yet with Reigns they shit on it for four years.

So i get why she got that major push from the start, it'S kind like reigns in a way, she's good for business so why not use her and the flair name to get good PR out of it. But now it seem like because of the becky feud, fans are starting to turn on her and that's kinda a interesting development that i think it worth exploring.

P.S: Meltzer just Reported that Reigns is the number 1 merchandise seller in WWE as he past Cena as the top guy in merch sell, so i'm guessing the four years of pushing him worked for them.

I...don't see it. To be fair to her, I think the reason she gets pushed so much is because a. she's Ric Flair's daughter, and b. she took to wrestling like a duck to water, and FAST. In her six years of wrestling, she's held 8 (EIGHT!) different forms of Womens Championship gold in WWE. That's progress, gentlemen.

The issue here is that the turn for Becky flies in the face of what they seemed to be doing with her. And yes, Charlotte is getting booed as a result, and there may be some apathy towards her due to how much she gets the rocket strapped to her. But in this instance I think it's more that people were ready for Becky, and Charlotte turning would have made more sense, maybe with her saying that titles come before friendship.

The direct comparison; I think people boo Roman mainly because while he is very good, he isn't anywhere near as good as his push would let you believe he is, and he is pushed constantly. With Charlotte I don't see that quite as much; she's the best womans wrestler on the roster. Pushed too much? Ehhh, I don't think so, but maybe just pushed against the wrong person.

I haven't read all of the thread but there is absolutely no doubt about it - Charlotte Flair is the Roman Reigns of the women's division. Whether someone merits the position or not, there will always be a locker room leader and a person who gets the pushes in front of everyone else. In the past, those people have been Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, John Cena and now Roman Reigns. It just so happens that it's a brave new world where women are actually taken seriously in wrestling - thus women are going to be afforded the same rights and position. It's obvious.

Charlotte is by far the best woman on the WWE roster in whatever attribute you care to discuss. She's the most charismatic, the most devious as a heel, the most athletic, the most decorated and has a huge name to rely on if all else fails. There's no doubting that she got some of that because of her last name but, unlike Reigns, she actually deserves it because she's not one dimensional and can actually put together decent matches.

Kinda
Charlotte is by far the best woman on the WWE roster in whatever attribute you care to discuss. She's the most charismatic, the most devious as a heel, the most athletic, the most decorated and has a huge name to rely on if all else fails. There's no doubting that she got some of that because of her last name but, unlike Reigns, she actually deserves it because she's not one dimensional and can actually put together decent matches.

While I did like the bulk of your comment, I have to disagree with you on the last part, Charlotte is as one dimensional as reigns. When you watch their match you can pretty predict everything they are going to do before they do it. Charlotte just like reigns are good to great with the right opponent. If they put her with somebody like asuka or Sasha, she can hang with them and create a great match, just like reigns with strowman and balor just to name these. As far as promo are concern. Charlotte is great heel promo but as a face she the most boring performer in the division, It's even worst then Sasha and bayley. Reigns isn't a great promo, but He's in the top tier as far as promo.

The thing is, both are second generation, both have charisma and both can put a good or great match when need to. So in my book both deserve the spot they have right now.

I liked Charlotte more as the heel champion the faces were chasing, and occasionally beating to big pops just like her dad. This face Charlotte doesn't do it for me. If anything, I was hoping it was Charlotte that would turn heel at SS after Lynch won. Even if Charlotte took the belt at the all ladies event coming up, at least it would have given Lynch a run with it and a feud that was somewhat believable. Lynch won't stay a heel long, the fans won't let her.

I never feel like Charlotte is being "pushed down our throats". She is an outstanding talent in a division that has much more limited spots than the men. If anything she is being held back while WWE continues to develop Ronda for their megamatch. Let's face it, the match is so inevitable that it could happen tonight and feel right. It is about all Charlotte has left to do that division.

Sure there are other talents who I also enjoy but none as much or consistently as Charlotte. I think Becky is a workrate workhorse that is underrated on the mic. Asuka has more to offer than what she is doing now. I see the appeal Naomi has to kids. Carmella was a much better champ than expected and could have continued for a little while longer.

But bringing Charlotte back and putting her in the "top" spot in the women's division makes total sense and works for me. Roman still doesn't work for me. Reuniting The Shield should help. The group was always worth more than the sum of their parts. Plus Charlotte may be in the top spot of a division of a show but that pretty much just puts her in the mid card. Roman is the main event. A main event I haven't been able to care about. In that way Charlotte is nothing like Roman, she is more like Rollins or better yet AJ.

I like the figure of four she does with the bridge. She has the Flair swagger but she's also putting her own spin on it. I find a few other women more interesting to watch but she definitely isn't generic. I also think there's much more she can do as a heel too, she'd have great dynamics going against the likes of Natalya, Rhonda Rousey and Bayley. I don't think the current feud with Becky Lynch really has legs.

I would say yes. While she is nowhere NEAR as bad as Reigns, the comparison is valid. There are fans who are getting tired of seeing her get so many wins and accomplishments when there are others (like Becky) who deserve a shot too. That is why this heel turn with Becky will never work. The fans who may be frustrated in their own lives with getting overlooked in favor of someone else would understand how upset Becky is in the storyline, thus she gets cheered. If your best friend got a huge opportunity that everyone else thought you initially would get, odds are you'd be really jealous and upset too. It's time for someone else to get the opportunity and I really hope that the end goal for this Charlotte & Becky storyline is just that. Right now, Charlotte being the female Roman Reigns is a valid comparison. If she defeats Becky again, then it would only confirm the comparison further and she would lose fan support to a forced result that many fans don't want this time around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back